I've used electric toothbrushes for the last decade but this is my first sonic toothbrush.

Published 12 months ago by K. L. Wren

3.0 out of 5 stars Works well - but is it necessary?
Note - I received this free as part of the Amazon Vine program - I am reviewing it based on value for money, quality and so on - I am therefore not applying buyer's remorse or bias!

This isn't actually the top end unit Philips make (that's the Diamond brush) however it's pretty high up there.
If you are determined to have all the features, and the price...
Published 12 months ago by DWB1873

3.0 out of 5 stars Works well - but is it necessary?, 24 July 2013
DWB1873 (Channel Islands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips Sonicare HX9172/10 FlexCare Platinum Rechargeable Toothbrush with UV Sanitizer (Personal Care)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

If you are determined to have all the features, and the price doesn't matter, buy it - it an excellent brush and all the bits work together.

Still reading? Okay - the problem with this unit is that the cheaper brushes - without the UV - are very very good, and much cheaper. This unit adds a revised handset and the UV lamp. I'll cover both.

As a general comment Sonicare brushes are excellent. I used Oral-B for years, then changed to these and wouldn't go back. Cleaner teeth, amazing battery life - these are excellent tooth brushes.

This brush unit however seems a bit... coarse. The finish is rougher than the soft touch models I've had previously and the rollstop has sharper edges. Nit-picking, sure. It's also seems MUCH more powerful (and noisier) than the other brushes - but I have no idea why. It has various modes, none of which I suspect I'll use (as this is how it's gone with my current multi-mode brush).

The UV works - but I can't help question the point of it. I've brushed my teeth for 30+ years without UV sanitisation. I'm still alive, never been ill, nor ever had a green toothbrush - so what's the point, other than it looks pretty when it's on? I don't think it's worth the money, especially as it's another thing to clean and replace when the bulb goes (UV loses effectiveness over time).

This still suffers the same problem I've found with other units - under the brush and where the charger plugs in are prone to staying wet and growing 'things'. I wash and leave it to dry, however it still is a problem.

Overall, if you don't have an existing brush, this is a good purchase - but definitely look at the cheaper models, without the UV and the extra modes - they clean brilliantly well and all the brush heads are interchangeable - you're not losing anything by getting a cheaper handset. Save the money and buy the more expensive brush heads.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very powerful, very effective and very gentle (and hygienic too), 25 July 2013
K. L. Wren "K L Wren" (Herefordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

After years of using Braun/Oral-Bpower brushes with rotating heads, this was a completely different experience. This Philips Sonicare brush has a conventional-shaped but small brush head and produces a light sensation of 'vibrations' as each brush bristle spins independently (rather than the toothbrush head itself spinning). It also involves a slightly different brushing technique: the 'spinning head' brushes are held to the teeth one at a time while the teeth are brushed but the Sonicare involves the user gently and effortlessly brushing from side to side so the longer bristles penetrate between the teeth.

Without a doubt, it is certainly effective. It tickled slightly for the first few uses until I became used to it and my teeth and gums definitely felt clean, polished and tingly after use.

It's a very easy brush to use - simply hold it like a manual toothbrush and brush the teeth very gently from side to side. The longer bristles reach inbetween teeth very effectively, loosen plaque and blast it away. It's a very gentle method which doesn't involve any aggressive or heavy-duty brushing and I found it more gentle than a rotary brush. The ergonomic shape is very good - the long--stemmed small, slim brush head easily finds hard to reach areas making it very comfortable even for a smaller mouth and no gag-reflex when reaching deep into the back of the mouth.

Just a few days before testing this brush, I had dental surgery which also involved cutting into my gum hence this part of my mouth was very sensitive but the brush is designed to accommodate sensitive patches thanks to its three pressure settings. I used the lowest setting on my surgery area for a very gentle and painless clean then the high setting for the rest of my mouth. At times like this, multiple power settings are appreciated! There is also a gum-care setting to stimulate and massage the gums and a 'white' setting to polish the front teeth. I haven't noticed any whitening effect yet, but it's early days.

In addition to the brush probably providing the best in oral hygiene it's also a hygienic brush to use thanks to its UV brush head sanitiser built into the unit's base. Sonic brush heads require additional care (compared with rotating heads) and UV cleaning is recommended rather than soap, water, bleach etc. so this is a strong selling point for me. Two minutes inside the base unit sanitises the brush head killing 99% of bacteria and viruses keeping the head hygienic. I also noted that this is the only brush I have ever used to be supplied with a hygiene cap for when it's not in use. The ventilated travel case was another welcome addition too and I feel Philips really have thought of everything with this toothbrush and sanitiser package.

This brush and sanitiser package is first-rate and the best I've ever used. It's very powerful but also very gentle, it cleans very deeply between my teeth and it's hygienic. It's not the cheapest but if it keeps my teeth and gums in top condition then the cost can be recouped via reduced bills on the dentist's chair.

I'm converted and would highly recommend this brush to anyone wanting tingly-clean teeth and gums and I'd also recommend it to those with extensive dental work because I feel it's more gentle and less abrasive on restorations. Due to its effortless brushing this would probably also be a good purchase for anyone with a disability for whom dental hygiene is more difficult. A most worthy and confident 5-stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent toothbrush and sanitiser, 6 Sep 2013
purpleheart (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is my third sonicare toothbrush - my last model, Philips Sonicare HX6972/10 FlexCare+ Rechargeable Toothbrush with UV Sanitiser also had the sanitiser which I find extends the life of the brush head and keeps it fresher. Clearly, I am a fan of the sonicare and think they are worth the price although in my experience they tend to last about three years and then the battery gives out. I still think they give value for that period of time but was pleased that his model has a two year guarantee.

This model is my favourite so far. Oral hygiene is very important for me as I am in the process of wearing invisalign braces to correct an overcrowded mouth. The invisalign braces stop the natural cleansing effect of saliva as your teeth are completely enclosed and I have to be absolutely fastidious about brushing and flossing my teeth. This brush has three different brushing modes and intensity settings, so you can customise your brushing experience! The brush itself is a nice weight and looks good and the the brush head is a great shape and cleanses well and does seem to clean better between the teeth. Another plus is that it holds its charge very well. Overall, I am delighted and so is my dentist as my oral health is now the best it has ever been.

Pros
+ Design is good - look and feel are excellent
+ Sanitiser and charger in one unit and travel charger available.
+ Charge holds for 3 weeks
+ Good brush heads but you can use up any from previous models too - reminder bristles to warn you when to change
+ Very easy to keep clean

Cons
- None to date.

Highly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars It goes BZZZZZZ, 27 Jan 2014
Nice toothbrush. It's very strong though so if you're not used to stuff like this, don't worry, there's a certain amount of time you need to ease into it. Keep it clean boys and girls! :D

5.0 out of 5 stars Best on the market, 14 Sep 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is our third sonicare brush, and it won't be the last. It is used by all the household including the kids who love it.

The "power" is adaptable with the different modes, and there is a good range of different brush heads available. Those last about the same time as a traditional toothbrush, and in multipacks aren't much more expensive.

Charging is easy as the base unit is on a shelf or window pretty much all the time, and there is a smaller charging unit for travel as well as a very handy hard case for packing the brush.

A big plus for this over rivals is the customer care from Philips. It is exceptional. When one of our first brushes failed close to the end of the warranty, they replaced it quibble free and very quickly.

We can't really comment on the UV sanitiser as there is no real visible effect, but presumably they wouldn't avve put this in if it didn't have some beneficial effect.

So if you are thinking about a sonic toothbrush, go for a Philips Sonicare and you shouldn't be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great toothbrush, not sure about the sanitiser, 28 Aug 2013
S. J. Mitchell (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've been using the toothbrush for over a week. Impressed? Well the proof is in the pudding and yes my teeth do feel cleaner and smoother than my usual electric toothbrush make.

I found it comfortable to hold and easy to use. I especially liked how the brush narrows to make it easy to handle in the mouth. The actual brush head too is neat. Unlike others on the market it feels light to use but extremely powerful.

A week later and I have not had to charge it which makes a great change from my previous toothbrushes.

Downsides? Very odd vibration feeling after first brushing my teeth with the toothbrush but that soon went. Also hard to know how to use the brush - dentists recommend brushing at 45 degree angles so that the gum line is included in the brushing.

This model also includes the UV head sanitiser. I'm a bit fussy about toothbrushes and the fact that they live in the bathroom, in fairly close proximity to the loo does bug me so I was interested in this. However, I'm not sure that it does anything different or better than simply putting a cap on your toothbrush to protect the head. In fact, these toothbrush heads come with little plastic hats which protect them very nicely.

To sum up, it's a very good toothbrush which stands up to its claims. The vibration takes a little getting used to and it's essential to read the manual, which I imagine most people don't bother doing. The sanitiser is a nice, if unneccesary addition. The toothbrush is worth the money, not sure the sanitiser is worth the extra 20.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get This, 23 July 2014
Fantastic !
1. All sonicare 6 series are pretty much the same, this in fact has more functions than the Diamond Clean as one can change the intensity to get used to the system.
2. Diamond Clean brush heads are compatible, save yourselfe a ton unless your interested in fancy charging options which is BS.
3. Fantastic brush, clinical studies don't do this thing justice... Actions speak louder than words go pick one up immediately. Shop about can get em for as low as fifty quid online.
4. UV system is BS unless your swapping heads with other family members but again just a BS.

Top marks

5.0 out of 5 stars The horrible taste of humble pie, 19 Sep 2013
The usual suspect (2nd aisle on the right, top shelf) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
In my last review of a Sonicare toothbrush, I more or less alluded to me saying all Sonicare's are the same. At that time, I was comparing a cheap new model with my previous model. Now, I have the opportunity to compare that newer model with what I suspect is the equivalent of my old expensive one. As my review title suggests, this is very hard for me but (if I could make the font smaller, I would), I was wrong. Sorry, Philips.

Is the cleaning experience better that the Philips Sonicare HX6511/33 Easy Clean Rechargeable Sonic Toothbrush? Yes, by quite some margin. Why? The little differences.

The pressure sensing serves two purposes in my case. It turned cleaning teeth properly into a game making it less of a bore! Too hard and the cleaning is almost brought to a halt so you have to ease off. Because of this, I believe one, I'm cleaning correctly and two the brush isn't getting damaged.

The overall quality of the handle is very impressive. Put alongside the HX6511, the HX9172 looks like a Merc C-Class to the Dacia Sandero. The HX9172 deserves to be cleaned after each use. Do I use the three different modes? Yes, actually. It's been over 6 weeks now and the novelty hasn't warn off. I do feel they do achieve something and sort of embarrassingly, I did get asked after a few weeks if I had had my teeth whitened! This sounds a cheesy sales pitch but it did actually happen.

Battery life is just as amazing as the HX6511. It quoted 3 weeks but I got over a month out of it - even cleaning 3 times a day 3 or 4 times a week. Just make sure you fully charge it the 24 hours. first time.

All very positive as you can tell but (there's always a 'but' with me), the clanger in the works is this. The HX9172 comes with InterCare brushes. I cannot stress how amazing these are compared to the Pro - cleaning better and lasting longer. To the point where I don't know how much of the amazing cleaning experience is down to the HX9172 and how much is down to the InterCare head. Would a HX9172 be worth twice as much as the HX6511 if the latter had the InterCare? Hmmmm. I don't think the InterCare fits, so can't test it.

As a footnote on the UV Sanitiser, I have no idea if this is doing its job since I don't own a laboratory. This UV method is good enough for fish tank owners, so who am I to argue!

4.0 out of 5 stars It does come with a travel charger too., 27 July 2014
I've only just bought mine, so can't really comment much on functionality / how good it is (hence only 4 stars), however, one thing that I was unsure about when buying this was that the charging unit seemed rather bulky for travel.
When I opened mine, I found that in addition to the main stand charger and anti bacterial bit, it also came with a simple 2-pin base charger, which is comfortably small enough to travel with.

5.0 out of 5 stars WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT ?, 21 July 2013
Jeff Walmsley "JW" (Wales) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
At 112.50, this is not the most expensive Philips' toothbrush offered on Amazon; at the time of writing, you could pay more for the "Diamond Platinum" model, for example, (which will presumably make your teeth sparkle like diamonds and your fillings like platinum) - but this one seems designed and, for the moment, priced, to pull the rug from under the rest.

It came to me free for review, and I have to be honest and say that I personally would have difficulty paying over 100 for a toothbrush, however good it was - but this is entirely because I am not conditioned by contemporary culture, but rather by the lean, parsimonious culture of the thirties, forties and fifties - and also because my teeth are still pretty much intact after 81 years of bog-standard, mostly manual brushing (although not sparkling like diamonds or platinum).

I gave up manual toothbrushes a couple of years ago after my small stroke, because it was pretty obvious that the power-assisted versions did a far more efficient job of brushing than I could then manage. But they still didn't protect me from that bane of the elderly, the pesky, gum-dwelling bacteria - encouraged by the trapping of microscopic particles in the gaps that open between aging teeth and, more troublesomely, down between the ever-expanding gap between the teeth and the gums, where flossing won't help even if you can do it (I then couldn't). I therefore supplemented my brushing equipment with a Waterpik WP100 Ultra Water Flosser (which cost me only 44 then, and now costs 50% more) and experienced a significant reduction of the latter problem - but not a total one.

But then I moved to an Oral B Pulsar toothbrush, an inexpensive AAA battery-operated job that buzzes reassuringly whilst it scrubs your teeth and gums, and I have to say that since I did so, I haven't used the Waterpik, and I've gone the longest ever without needing anti-bacterial treatment of one kind or another. The Flexcare Platinum buzzes much more ferociously, however, even intimidatingly, and has all the different programmes you can read about in the advertising blurb. Although to my untutored oral senses, the buzzing feels the same whichever programme you use.

It's obviously a five star toothbrush on looks and spec alone and, yes, I DO love it, because I'm a gadget freak, and as gadgets go this surely has few equals in its class, and is additionally a very pretty object... without such an item on display, your modern hi-tec bathroom would surely fail to meet the requisite standard, and it's just the kind of thing my family likes to buy for me as a present. Once you've made the initial capital investment, the running costs are likely to be much the same as the throw-away Pulsar B, which has to be replaced every 3 months, as do the similarly-priced heads of the Platinum.

As befits such a sophisticated instrument, it comes with a 22 page manual and a 6-page quickstart guide, a bit of a misnomer the latter, since the first requirement is to charge it for 24 hours, ample time to digest the full manual... The charger comes with a two-pin plug which happily fits the bathroom shaver-socket, as does the separate UV steriliser-cum-brush-head store. My tropical aquaria have employed UV sterilisers for decades, and I can tell you it's no sales gimmick. Not that I myself have made a practice of sterilising my toothbrushes hitherto...

The real test for any item such as this lies in how long after I start using it - if ever - I shall experience the next bout of gum infection. It's an impossible assessment, because you never know what would have happened if you hadn't used it at all... But there is surely no reason to doubt the manufacturer's claims for its efficiency in accomplishing its aims, and in the end it comes down to how much you are willing to pay "to be on the safe side". You are only allowed one set of natural teeth, after all...

However, the truth of the matter is that my love for this instrument (I feel we should dignify it with that appellation) is not so much for the efficiency with which it will care for my teeth, whose lives are limited more by the state of the rest of me, but for its merits as a desirable object which will not only do the job required of it as efficiently as any other device, and more so than most, but also lend an air of luxury, prestige and elegance to my rather faded bathroom. It thus appears to fall into the same category as the car with four exhausts which ornaments my drive.