I've used electric toothbrushes for the last decade but this is my first sonic toothbrush.

Published 16 months ago by KWren

3.0 out of 5 stars I like it, but my husband prefers our old ones
I'm not sure the UV sanitiser serves any purpose whatsoever, but I purchased it on a Black Friday deal and it comes with the normal charger as well, so it didn't matter.

Published 11 months ago by Mrs. R. Collins

5.0 out of 5 stars Very powerful, very effective and very gentle (and hygienic too), 25 July 2013
KWren "KWren" (Wye Valley) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Philips Sonicare HX9172/10 FlexCare Platinum Rechargeable Toothbrush with UV Sanitizer (Personal Care)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

After years of using Braun/Oral-Bpower brushes with rotating heads, this was a completely different experience. This Philips Sonicare brush has a conventional-shaped but small brush head and produces a light sensation of 'vibrations' as each brush bristle spins independently (rather than the toothbrush head itself spinning). It also involves a slightly different brushing technique: the 'spinning head' brushes are held to the teeth one at a time while the teeth are brushed but the Sonicare involves the user gently and effortlessly brushing from side to side so the longer bristles penetrate between the teeth.

Without a doubt, it is certainly effective. It tickled slightly for the first few uses until I became used to it and my teeth and gums definitely felt clean, polished and tingly after use.

It's a very easy brush to use - simply hold it like a manual toothbrush and brush the teeth very gently from side to side. The longer bristles reach inbetween teeth very effectively, loosen plaque and blast it away. It's a very gentle method which doesn't involve any aggressive or heavy-duty brushing and I found it more gentle than a rotary brush. The ergonomic shape is very good - the long--stemmed small, slim brush head easily finds hard to reach areas making it very comfortable even for a smaller mouth and no gag-reflex when reaching deep into the back of the mouth.

Just a few days before testing this brush, I had dental surgery which also involved cutting into my gum hence this part of my mouth was very sensitive but the brush is designed to accommodate sensitive patches thanks to its three pressure settings. I used the lowest setting on my surgery area for a very gentle and painless clean then the high setting for the rest of my mouth. At times like this, multiple power settings are appreciated! There is also a gum-care setting to stimulate and massage the gums and a 'white' setting to polish the front teeth. I haven't noticed any whitening effect yet, but it's early days.

In addition to the brush probably providing the best in oral hygiene it's also a hygienic brush to use thanks to its UV brush head sanitiser built into the unit's base. Sonic brush heads require additional care (compared with rotating heads) and UV cleaning is recommended rather than soap, water, bleach etc. so this is a strong selling point for me. Two minutes inside the base unit sanitises the brush head killing 99% of bacteria and viruses keeping the head hygienic. I also noted that this is the only brush I have ever used to be supplied with a hygiene cap for when it's not in use. The ventilated travel case was another welcome addition too and I feel Philips really have thought of everything with this toothbrush and sanitiser package.

This brush and sanitiser package is first-rate and the best I've ever used. It's very powerful but also very gentle, it cleans very deeply between my teeth and it's hygienic. It's not the cheapest but if it keeps my teeth and gums in top condition then the cost can be recouped via reduced bills on the dentist's chair.

I'm converted and would highly recommend this brush to anyone wanting tingly-clean teeth and gums and I'd also recommend it to those with extensive dental work because I feel it's more gentle and less abrasive on restorations. Due to its effortless brushing this would probably also be a good purchase for anyone with a disability for whom dental hygiene is more difficult. A most worthy and confident 5-stars.

3.0 out of 5 stars I like it, but my husband prefers our old ones, 30 Dec 2013

I don't notice ANY difference to the feel of my teeth from my previous Sonicare platinum brush, but it's a nice lightweight feel toothbrush and provides the same decent clean I've come to expect from Philips Sonicare brushes. My husband, however, hates his, and doesn't think his teeth feel as clean. It does an odd shuddery thing at the start and every thirty seconds, rather than the pause we're used to, and it doesn't feel as strong or powerful as the 6902s we had before.

It's nice to have a new brush, but I wouldn't waste money and I'd go for the cheaper FlexCare instead of this Platinum as there is absolutely no difference in cleanliness achieved.

3.0 out of 5 stars Works well - but is it necessary?, 24 July 2013
DWB1873 - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Note - I received this free as part of the Amazon Vine program - I am reviewing it based on value for money, quality and so on - I am therefore not applying buyer's remorse or bias!

This isn't actually the top end unit Philips make (that's the Diamond brush) however it's pretty high up there.
If you are determined to have all the features, and the price doesn't matter, buy it - it an excellent brush and all the bits work together.

Still reading? Okay - the problem with this unit is that the cheaper brushes - without the UV - are very very good, and much cheaper. This unit adds a revised handset and the UV lamp. I'll cover both.

As a general comment Sonicare brushes are excellent. I used Oral-B for years, then changed to these and wouldn't go back. Cleaner teeth, amazing battery life - these are excellent tooth brushes.

This brush unit however seems a bit... coarse. The finish is rougher than the soft touch models I've had previously and the rollstop has sharper edges. Nit-picking, sure. It's also seems MUCH more powerful (and noisier) than the other brushes - but I have no idea why. It has various modes, none of which I suspect I'll use (as this is how it's gone with my current multi-mode brush).

The UV works - but I can't help question the point of it. I've brushed my teeth for 30+ years without UV sanitisation. I'm still alive, never been ill, nor ever had a green toothbrush - so what's the point, other than it looks pretty when it's on? I don't think it's worth the money, especially as it's another thing to clean and replace when the bulb goes (UV loses effectiveness over time).

This still suffers the same problem I've found with other units - under the brush and where the charger plugs in are prone to staying wet and growing 'things'. I wash and leave it to dry, however it still is a problem.

Overall, if you don't have an existing brush, this is a good purchase - but definitely look at the cheaper models, without the UV and the extra modes - they clean brilliantly well and all the brush heads are interchangeable - you're not losing anything by getting a cheaper handset. Save the money and buy the more expensive brush heads.

3.0 out of 5 stars Really good toothbrush except after 2years ( just out if warranty ..., 13 Aug 2014
Really good toothbrush except after 2years ( just out if warranty ) it decides to stop working... This isn't a cheap brush so when I contacted Philips they said there is nothing they can do ...ie no replacement battery ... I just had to get a new one ! I thought it would last a lot longer than two years ! Grrrr very annoying !! It won't be a Philips one !

4.0 out of 5 stars It does come with a travel charger too., 27 July 2014
I've only just bought mine, so can't really comment much on functionality / how good it is (hence only 4 stars), however, one thing that I was unsure about when buying this was that the charging unit seemed rather bulky for travel.
When I opened mine, I found that in addition to the main stand charger and anti bacterial bit, it also came with a simple 2-pin base charger, which is comfortably small enough to travel with.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get This, 23 July 2014
Fantastic !
1. All sonicare 6 series are pretty much the same, this in fact has more functions than the Diamond Clean as one can change the intensity to get used to the system.
2. Diamond Clean brush heads are compatible, save yourselfe a ton unless your interested in fancy charging options which is BS.
3. Fantastic brush, clinical studies don't do this thing justice... Actions speak louder than words go pick one up immediately. Shop about can get em for as low as fifty quid online.
4. UV system is BS unless your swapping heads with other family members but again just a BS.

Top marks

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for me, 10 Aug 2013
Beanie Luck (Cotswolds) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
I was recently told by my dentist that i had to buy an electric toothbrush if i wanted to keep my teeth into my old age.

He recommended 2, a Braun professional and one of these.

Luckily this came into my list to review for free and so i jumped at the chance to try it out

I have had it a month now and i can see the difference already, my teeth are noticeably whiter than before, and my teeth were pretty dark to be fair, but that's because i have naturally dark dentine according to my dentist, but 10 years of coffee stains had built up (dental phobia) and within a week they have all gone, i was shocked to say the least.

Also my gums were very red and inflamed and within 2 weeks of using this on the gumcare setting they had returned to normal colour, both me and my dentist were very happy with the results.

The one thing i will also say is how pleasant it is to use, it isn't harsh or abrasive but a nice and gentle humming feeling.

It also clicks off automatically after 2 minutes but before it does that it beeps every 30 seconds to tell you to move onto the next quadrant of your mouth, that was pretty handy for me because its hard to judge it yourself when you are brushing.

Personally i brush 2 minutes on the top and 2 on the bottom, but that's just personal preference and my teeth feel like silk when i have finished.

Cant comment on battery life really, i charged it up and it has gone 8 minutes a day for 27 days so far and i haven't had to recharge it, that to me seems pretty good.

Also whilst a lot of people are complaining that it is very expensive, i thinnk they need to be a little bit more practical because quite frankly its still cheaper than having your teeth professionally cleaned.

Again heads, Yes the replacement intercare heads are very expensive, £30 for 4 is a lot of money

Philips HX9004/26 Sonicare Inter Care Brush Heads Standard Pack of 4

and the mini heads are equally as expensive

Philips HX9014/26 Sonicare InterCare Brush Heads Mini Pack of 4

however all toothbrush head's are compatible and so

Philips Sonicare HX6013/16 ProResults Standard Toothbrush Heads 3-Pack work out as a suitable alternative, some people say these are too expensive but i think £5 per head is pretty damn cheap to be honest and you only need to change them about every 3 months, there is an indicator on the head that changes from blue to white to let you know when you need too anyway.

I also love the case that comes with it, perfect for travelling, and you can pop 2 heads in there so you always have a spare.

Nothing negative to say at all :0)

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Toothbrush, 27 Aug 2013
A. Rose (Devon & Menorca) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This toothbrush is of excellent quality and good in appearance. It's comfortable in the hand and is a pleasant weight - not too light and flimsy and not so heavy that it feels cumbersome. I personally didn't get on very well with this toothbrush. I usually use a good old fashioned manual brush and I hated the vibrations around my teeth, especially from the handle part when it touches front teeth when you are actually cleaning back teeth. I didn't like the fact that there are splashes and dribbles all over the place and now see why it is that I leave the bathroom clean and my husband always makes a splashy mess on the taps and mirror. My husband is used to an electric toothbrush and he thinks it is a really quality product. I'm not sure that the UV sanitiser is totally necessary or is just a gimmick adding to the expense. If the brush is used by one person then does it really matter whether it is rinsed clean under the tap as we've always done or UV sanitised. If you go away often or plan to take the brush on holiday with you then there is a really handy rigid travel case.

Personally, I don't like it and have gone back to a manual toothbrush. It's not this product that's not good, on the contrary, it's an excellent electric toothbrush, It seems I just don't get on with electrics. The price of renewing brush heads should also be taken into consideration as these are quite expensive compared with other toothbrush heads. If you already use electrics and are thinking of updating or replacing your older model then this one is certainly worth considering.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 23 July 2013
Andrew "impulsive gadget buyer" (Wales) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having previously always had a Braun Oral B electric toothbrush for many years I was keen to try the new Philips Sonicare as I've always been curious as to the `sonic' alternative and the UV sanitiser. My most recent brush for comparison was an Oral B Triumph 4000 that I have had for the last few years. What I will say at this point is that I made the jump to these sorts of toothbrushes years back and I will never go `manual' again as these offer so much more and in my opinion are worth it.

In the box:
Electric Toothbrush
ProResults brush heads (mini + Standard)
UV Brush Head Sanitiser
Travel Charger
Hygienic travel caps (that cover the heads of the brush heads)
Hard travel case

I was immediately very impressed by the look and feel of the brush handle in my hand. This new model has 3 power settings and 3 cleaning modes (Clean, Clean& White and Gum Care). It also has a few very handy features such as the pacer which lets you know when 30 seconds have passed so you can move onto another quadrant of your mouth and also a pressure sensor which alerts you if you are pressing too hard. Great stuff.

It also features an `easystart' mode for those new to these brushes to gently build you up, although by default this feature is off and needs to be enabled, which is simple to do.

After the initial charge I was away and brushing and I must say I am really impressed. The brush feels a lot more powerful than my oral B and is nicely weighted in hand, not too heavy and cumbersome and a good deal slimmer than my oral B. Using it on full strength on the clean setting the brush left my teeth feeling nice and clean, and my lips a little tingly.
Reassuringly Philips offer a no quibble money back programme. Try it and if you don't like it you get your money back. So I really can't see a reason not to give it a go. Although the initial outlay might seem expensive, in the long run I think the benefits it brings are worth it
When finished brushing I have always dried the head and handle and left the head near the sink which I am sure over time may be unhygienic. However the included uv sanistiser seems a good idea. Keeps the brush head out the way and the uv light keeps it germ free.

Overall this is a well-built toothbrush which so far is providing great results. I am extremely impressed with it and the package as a whole and it just reaffirms what I already believe, that these are the way forward.

5.0 out of 5 stars ... it for over four months now and I'm very happy about the choice, 15 Sep 2014
I have been using it for over four months now and I'm very happy about the choice.

I choose this one model because of mixed reviews on the latest models and because the latest models dont seem to offer more than this one.

I feel my teeth are better clean compared with the normal toothbrush, they feel smother too however I'm still having concerns whether a powered toothbrush is armful of gums compared to manual toothbrush, but that is my dilemma.

The UV sanitiser works well and has a slightly bigger bulb than the usual UV sanitisers for toothbrush you can find on Amazon.

Battery life on a circa three times/day usage is about two weeks. Hence the travel box while a bit bulky comes handy travelling (up to two weeks there is no need of power supply however the product comes with a travel power supply too).

The only negative aspect to purchasing this product is the expense in finding the right brush head for you. I found a box containing most of the brush heads on the market that Philips make for this and I tried them all for a week and I picked the one that looks like does the best job in my mouth however it's not ideal, as I would have like a combination of different characteristics of some of the brushes but perhaps in the future they will do a new model that will fit my mouth best. The box was not very cheap however.