5.0 out of 5 stars Philips Sonicare FlexCare
Published 24 months ago by southcoastreviewer

3.0 out of 5 stars Works well - but is it necessary?
Note - I received this free as part of the Amazon Vine program - I am reviewing it based on value for money, quality and so on - I am therefore not applying buyer's remorse or bias!

This isn't actually the top end unit Philips make (that's the Diamond brush) however it's pretty high up there.
If you are determined to have all the features, and the price...
Published on 24 July 2013 by DWB1873

5.0 out of 5 stars Philips Sonicare FlexCare, 31 July 2013
southcoastreviewer (Brighton, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Philips Sonicare HX9172/10 FlexCare Platinum Rechargeable Toothbrush with UV Sanitizer (Personal Care)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having received the Philips Sonicare FlexCare toothbrush as a free to review item through the Vine program, I was somewhat curious as to what a >£100 tootbrush would do. I've used electric toothbrushes for years on the recommendation of my dentist, and whilst manual toothbrushes still have a basic place in the home I never thought I would go back; now I *know* I will never go back, and only use my manual toothbrush to clean my alloy wheels.

I have had a variety of issues which require me to be careful with my oral hygiene and more often than not lead to extensive careful brushing regimes. A decent toothbrush obviously helps with this, but I've been scared to spend more than £30.

Easy for me to say; but if you've had problems with teeth and gum sensitivity and particularly gum recession, you will find this an invaluable little device.

So what makes it different?

Let's set aside the UV sanitiser for a second; that's where a lot of the value comes in with this device. The toothbrush is weighty and ergonomic. It's longer than the other two electric toothbrushes I've had in the past (Braun and Colgate respectively). The brush head is also thinner and more traditionally shaped. This allows you to reach the back teeth without awkward posturing and reaching. This is also the first brush I've been able to use to brush the back of the teeth without a problem - possibly because of the shape of the brush head.

Charging is straightforward and keeping the brush clean is easy.

There are three different settings; "clean" "white" and "gum care" - I've tried all three with my usual quarter-mouth brushing style (thirty seconds in each quarter of the mouth) and I can honestly feel no difference between the three. Perhaps there is a slower rotation or some kind of massaging movement... any which way round, this seems a little gimmicky to me.

But the feel of the clean afterwards... very nearly hygienist clean.

An easily recommended product, so long as you can get past the price. I feel it's worth it and your dentist probably will too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very powerful, very effective and very gentle (and hygienic too), 25 July 2013
K Wren "K Wren" (Wye Valley (England/Wales border)) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've used electric toothbrushes for the last decade but this is my first sonic toothbrush.

After years of using Braun/Oral-Bpower brushes with rotating heads, this was a completely different experience. This Philips Sonicare brush has a conventional-shaped but small brush head and produces a light sensation of 'vibrations' as each brush bristle spins independently (rather than the toothbrush head itself spinning). It also involves a slightly different brushing technique: the 'spinning head' brushes are held to the teeth one at a time while the teeth are brushed but the Sonicare involves the user gently and effortlessly brushing from side to side so the longer bristles penetrate between the teeth.

Without a doubt, it is certainly effective. It tickled slightly for the first few uses until I became used to it and my teeth and gums definitely felt clean, polished and tingly after use.

It's a very easy brush to use - simply hold it like a manual toothbrush and brush the teeth very gently from side to side. The longer bristles reach inbetween teeth very effectively, loosen plaque and blast it away. It's a very gentle method which doesn't involve any aggressive or heavy-duty brushing and I found it more gentle than a rotary brush. The ergonomic shape is very good - the long--stemmed small, slim brush head easily finds hard to reach areas making it very comfortable even for a smaller mouth and no gag-reflex when reaching deep into the back of the mouth.

Just a few days before testing this brush, I had dental surgery which also involved cutting into my gum hence this part of my mouth was very sensitive but the brush is designed to accommodate sensitive patches thanks to its three pressure settings. I used the lowest setting on my surgery area for a very gentle and painless clean then the high setting for the rest of my mouth. At times like this, multiple power settings are appreciated! There is also a gum-care setting to stimulate and massage the gums and a 'white' setting to polish the front teeth. I haven't noticed any whitening effect yet, but it's early days.

In addition to the brush probably providing the best in oral hygiene it's also a hygienic brush to use thanks to its UV brush head sanitiser built into the unit's base. Sonic brush heads require additional care (compared with rotating heads) and UV cleaning is recommended rather than soap, water, bleach etc. so this is a strong selling point for me. Two minutes inside the base unit sanitises the brush head killing 99% of bacteria and viruses keeping the head hygienic. I also noted that this is the only brush I have ever used to be supplied with a hygiene cap for when it's not in use. The ventilated travel case was another welcome addition too and I feel Philips really have thought of everything with this toothbrush and sanitiser package.

This brush and sanitiser package is first-rate and the best I've ever used. It's very powerful but also very gentle, it cleans very deeply between my teeth and it's hygienic. It's not the cheapest but if it keeps my teeth and gums in top condition then the cost can be recouped via reduced bills on the dentist's chair.

I'm converted and would highly recommend this brush to anyone wanting tingly-clean teeth and gums and I'd also recommend it to those with extensive dental work because I feel it's more gentle and less abrasive on restorations. Due to its effortless brushing this would probably also be a good purchase for anyone with a disability for whom dental hygiene is more difficult. A most worthy and confident 5-stars.

3.0 out of 5 stars Works well - but is it necessary?, 24 July 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

If you are determined to have all the features, and the price doesn't matter, buy it - it an excellent brush and all the bits work together.

Still reading? Okay - the problem with this unit is that the cheaper brushes - without the UV - are very very good, and much cheaper. This unit adds a revised handset and the UV lamp. I'll cover both.

As a general comment Sonicare brushes are excellent. I used Oral-B for years, then changed to these and wouldn't go back. Cleaner teeth, amazing battery life - these are excellent tooth brushes.

This brush unit however seems a bit... coarse. The finish is rougher than the soft touch models I've had previously and the rollstop has sharper edges. Nit-picking, sure. It's also seems MUCH more powerful (and noisier) than the other brushes - but I have no idea why. It has various modes, none of which I suspect I'll use (as this is how it's gone with my current multi-mode brush).

The UV works - but I can't help question the point of it. I've brushed my teeth for 30+ years without UV sanitisation. I'm still alive, never been ill, nor ever had a green toothbrush - so what's the point, other than it looks pretty when it's on? I don't think it's worth the money, especially as it's another thing to clean and replace when the bulb goes (UV loses effectiveness over time).

This still suffers the same problem I've found with other units - under the brush and where the charger plugs in are prone to staying wet and growing 'things'. I wash and leave it to dry, however it still is a problem.

Overall, if you don't have an existing brush, this is a good purchase - but definitely look at the cheaper models, without the UV and the extra modes - they clean brilliantly well and all the brush heads are interchangeable - you're not losing anything by getting a cheaper handset. Save the money and buy the more expensive brush heads.

5.0 out of 5 stars ... it for over four months now and I'm very happy about the choice, 15 Sept. 2014
I have been using it for over four months now and I'm very happy about the choice.

I choose this one model because of mixed reviews on the latest models and because the latest models dont seem to offer more than this one.

I feel my teeth are better clean compared with the normal toothbrush, they feel smother too however I'm still having concerns whether a powered toothbrush is armful of gums compared to manual toothbrush, but that is my dilemma.

The UV sanitiser works well and has a slightly bigger bulb than the usual UV sanitisers for toothbrush you can find on Amazon.

Battery life on a circa three times/day usage is about two weeks. Hence the travel box while a bit bulky comes handy travelling (up to two weeks there is no need of power supply however the product comes with a travel power supply too).

The only negative aspect to purchasing this product is the expense in finding the right brush head for you. I found a box containing most of the brush heads on the market that Philips make for this and I tried them all for a week and I picked the one that looks like does the best job in my mouth however it's not ideal, as I would have like a combination of different characteristics of some of the brushes but perhaps in the future they will do a new model that will fit my mouth best. The box was not very cheap however.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Toothbrush, 27 Aug. 2013
A. Rose (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This toothbrush is of excellent quality and good in appearance. It's comfortable in the hand and is a pleasant weight - not too light and flimsy and not so heavy that it feels cumbersome. I personally didn't get on very well with this toothbrush. I usually use a good old fashioned manual brush and I hated the vibrations around my teeth, especially from the handle part when it touches front teeth when you are actually cleaning back teeth. I didn't like the fact that there are splashes and dribbles all over the place and now see why it is that I leave the bathroom clean and my husband always makes a splashy mess on the taps and mirror. My husband is used to an electric toothbrush and he thinks it is a really quality product. I'm not sure that the UV sanitiser is totally necessary or is just a gimmick adding to the expense. If the brush is used by one person then does it really matter whether it is rinsed clean under the tap as we've always done or UV sanitised. If you go away often or plan to take the brush on holiday with you then there is a really handy rigid travel case.

Personally, I don't like it and have gone back to a manual toothbrush. It's not this product that's not good, on the contrary, it's an excellent electric toothbrush, It seems I just don't get on with electrics. The price of renewing brush heads should also be taken into consideration as these are quite expensive compared with other toothbrush heads. If you already use electrics and are thinking of updating or replacing your older model then this one is certainly worth considering.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 23 July 2013
Tech 2.0 "impulsive gadget buyer" - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having previously always had a Braun Oral B electric toothbrush for many years I was keen to try the new Philips Sonicare as I've always been curious as to the `sonic' alternative and the UV sanitiser. My most recent brush for comparison was an Oral B Triumph 4000 that I have had for the last few years. What I will say at this point is that I made the jump to these sorts of toothbrushes years back and I will never go `manual' again as these offer so much more and in my opinion are worth it.

In the box:
Electric Toothbrush
ProResults brush heads (mini + Standard)
UV Brush Head Sanitiser
Travel Charger
Hygienic travel caps (that cover the heads of the brush heads)
Hard travel case

I was immediately very impressed by the look and feel of the brush handle in my hand. This new model has 3 power settings and 3 cleaning modes (Clean, Clean& White and Gum Care). It also has a few very handy features such as the pacer which lets you know when 30 seconds have passed so you can move onto another quadrant of your mouth and also a pressure sensor which alerts you if you are pressing too hard. Great stuff.

It also features an `easystart' mode for those new to these brushes to gently build you up, although by default this feature is off and needs to be enabled, which is simple to do.

After the initial charge I was away and brushing and I must say I am really impressed. The brush feels a lot more powerful than my oral B and is nicely weighted in hand, not too heavy and cumbersome and a good deal slimmer than my oral B. Using it on full strength on the clean setting the brush left my teeth feeling nice and clean, and my lips a little tingly.
Reassuringly Philips offer a no quibble money back programme. Try it and if you don't like it you get your money back. So I really can't see a reason not to give it a go. Although the initial outlay might seem expensive, in the long run I think the benefits it brings are worth it
When finished brushing I have always dried the head and handle and left the head near the sink which I am sure over time may be unhygienic. However the included uv sanistiser seems a good idea. Keeps the brush head out the way and the uv light keeps it germ free.

Overall this is a well-built toothbrush which so far is providing great results. I am extremely impressed with it and the package as a whole and it just reaffirms what I already believe, that these are the way forward.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent toothbrush and sanitiser, 6 Sept. 2013
Purpleheart (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is my third sonicare toothbrush - my last model, Philips Sonicare HX6972/10 FlexCare+ Rechargeable Toothbrush with UV Sanitiser also had the sanitiser which I find extends the life of the brush head and keeps it fresher. Clearly, I am a fan of the sonicare and think they are worth the price although in my experience they tend to last about three years and then the battery gives out. I still think they give value for that period of time but was pleased that his model has a two year guarantee.

This model is my favourite so far. Oral hygiene is very important for me as I am in the process of wearing invisalign braces to correct an overcrowded mouth. The invisalign braces stop the natural cleansing effect of saliva as your teeth are completely enclosed and I have to be absolutely fastidious about brushing and flossing my teeth. This brush has three different brushing modes and intensity settings, so you can customise your brushing experience! The brush itself is a nice weight and looks good and the the brush head is a great shape and cleanses well and does seem to clean better between the teeth. Another plus is that it holds its charge very well. Overall, I am delighted and so is my dentist as my oral health is now the best it has ever been.

Pros
+ Design is good - look and feel are excellent
+ Sanitiser and charger in one unit and travel charger available.
+ Charge holds for 3 weeks
+ Good brush heads but you can use up any from previous models too - reminder bristles to warn you when to change
+ Very easy to keep clean

Cons
- None to date.

Highly recommended

3.0 out of 5 stars I like it, but my husband prefers our old ones, 30 Dec. 2013
I'm not sure the UV sanitiser serves any purpose whatsoever, but I purchased it on a Black Friday deal and it comes with the normal charger as well, so it didn't matter.

I don't notice ANY difference to the feel of my teeth from my previous Sonicare platinum brush, but it's a nice lightweight feel toothbrush and provides the same decent clean I've come to expect from Philips Sonicare brushes. My husband, however, hates his, and doesn't think his teeth feel as clean. It does an odd shuddery thing at the start and every thirty seconds, rather than the pause we're used to, and it doesn't feel as strong or powerful as the 6902s we had before.

It's nice to have a new brush, but I wouldn't waste money and I'd go for the cheaper FlexCare instead of this Platinum as there is absolutely no difference in cleanliness achieved.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, 16 Aug. 2014
I think that this toothbrush simulates the conventional toothbrush but it is much more effective.

I am very happy with the product but still there are times when the plastic surface of the brush(not the bristles but the other side of it) comes in contact with the teeth accidentally... And it is not a pleasant feeling I can tell you... With practice I am sure I will minimize these incidences...

I have also purchase a Braun Oral-B Professional Care 1000 and my impression is that you get the best results when using both toothbrushes in combination so there is no point on making a comparison... I personally use the Philips every morning and the Braun one late at night...

Still, I would also want to highlight that the Phillips toothbrush could have been a bit smaller for a more effective and pleasant use.

Overall, Phillips(and Braun) is a great product and I recommend it 100%.

5.0 out of 5 stars It goes BZZZZZZ, 27 Jan. 2014
Nice toothbrush. It's very strong though so if you're not used to stuff like this, don't worry, there's a certain amount of time you need to ease into it. Keep it clean boys and girls! :D