5.0 out of 5 stars Good bargain
Purchased it on a sale; excellent. Cleans much better than Oral B 3000 which served me well for 2 years; but then the battery was discharging to quickly. This one seems to have a good battery life.
Published 5 months ago by S Kumar

3.0 out of 5 stars There's shivers down my spine...
...but it doesn't feel divine.

I used a standard Braun Oral B brush for years, several models over the years. But I found that recently, the model I use just doesn't do a good job of cleaning the gum line. In fact, it does a shoddy job.

So I decided to give this Philips model a chance.

It takes a full 24 hours to charge, which is a long...
Published 12 months ago by Lego Man

5.0 out of 5 stars Good bargain, 18 Feb 2014
This review is from: Philips Sonicare HX9112/02 FlexCare Platinum Rechargeable Toothbrush (Personal Care)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent performance, 8 Feb 2014
I have used an electric toothbrush previously but this far out performs any others. It made my teeth feel 'squeaky clean', I would recommend it to anyone who wants superb dental hygiene. The sonic action does take some getting used to as it is so powerful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant item, 17 Dec 2013
As described. Brand new. Quick delivery. Nice settings for power range and whether you want to clean or whiten (or Clean then whiten as I do). Can already tell the difference. Very long battery life.

5.0 out of 5 stars easy to use, lightweight, long charge life, 19 Nov 2013
the three settings - clean, white, gum health - really do make a difference to the action of the brush head. much the best sonicare i've had.

5.0 out of 5 stars outstanding, 18 Mar 2014
I used to have a previous model, which stopped working after 6 years of use. This model far exceeded my expectation. Far different from the previous models. If you are curious, it is definitely worth of trying.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good Sonicare toothbrush, 23 July 2013
Sussman "Sussman" (London CA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I found brushing with this `Philips Sonicare FlexCare Platinum' helped to keep my teeth clean and my gums felt healthy too. The resultant brushing gave my teeth a polish feeling and there was a clear feel that the plaque in hard-to-reach areas was reduced as well, especially inside of the back of my molars.
The handle grip is soft and comfortable to the grasp and helps stop vibrations transferring from the brush to your hand. The build quality feels good and sturdy; the battery life is quiet long, although I have not measured it. However, that said I can say I have never needed to wait for it to re-charge to be able to use it. Highly recommend.

3.0 out of 5 stars There's shivers down my spine..., 1 Aug 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
...but it doesn't feel divine.

So I decided to give this Philips model a chance.

It takes a full 24 hours to charge, which is a long time. The charger is fine, has a nice handy storage feature for the lead to make it shorter if you like. Also 2 holders for brush heads. Two come with it, large and small, along with travel protectors and a nice white plastic travel box for the toothbrush and heads.

The unit is much more customizable than my Braun. You can get rid of the timer feature by deactivating it, and you can use a warm-up feature to slide you in gradually over some days before it gives the full sonic experience. There are three speed settings. There is also a gum care and a polish setting.

Using it is not very pleasant. I am not used to it, true, and maybe I will grow to like it, but using it sends shivers down my spine and my lips and mouth felt numb after using it. The cleaning result seems good - it seems to do a better job than the Braun, but I am not sure I can tolerate the sonic effects. It is pretty extreme. It feels so powerful that I would almost expect it to cause pain to the fillings I have, but it hasn't as yet.

It is very noisy - kind of like cross between a large buzzing insect and a jet engine.

I am just not convinced of this. I mean, it is good at cleaning, but its pretty unpleasant to use. Maybe it will grow on me. I will update my review in the coming weeks to let you know how I get on. Until then, I say it's OK. Good cleaning results, but not sure it is something I can endure.

It is expensive. I don't think the UV unit on the higher model is worth the extra cost. At this moment on Amazon (01-08-13), the model with the UV unit is retailing at one hundred and twelve pounds, whereas this, the next model down, is retailing at one hundred and thirty-nine pounds. That must be some kind of a mistake on Amazon's part.

UPDATE: I prefer my Braun Oral B brush. I still use this brush, perhaps for 1 in 5 cleanings, but I still find it pretty unpleasant.

Update 2: The numbness effect does not last; your mouth will get used to it. The impressive thing about this device is it really holds its charge, including when not in regular use. I use mine perhaps once a week, using the Braun Oral B alternative the rest of the time. My Philips keeps its charge for weeks at a time.

4.0 out of 5 stars The handsome Platinum Flexcare has looks and abilities, but comes at a price, 5 Aug 2013
The Guardian (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
In addition to the physical vibration of the bristles on the teeth, `Sonicare' electric toothbrushes utilise ultrasonic cleaning, as used in hospital sterile service units to clean the gunk off surgical instruments. You don't need to move or agitate the brush: just hold it to the teeth upper, lower, left, right, inside, outside then rinse when finished. A timer is incorporated which issues an audible signal every 30 seconds, repeated four times to ensure upper left, upper right, lower left and lower right areas are cleaned properly. We've used other electric toothbrushes which are promoted as `sonic' in the product description, but few of them actually deploy genuine ultrasonic cleaning technology like these from Philips.

This latest `FlexCare Platinum' variant has an attractive contemporary-aesthetic design and looks like a work of art. Two brush heads are supplied (which incidentally do not fit earlier Sonicare models) and the brush has three speed settings and three modes, which might be too much choice for the average user to think about. It comes with carrying case and travel charger.

Be warned that the battery takes 24 hours to charge the first time it's used, but once charged is good for around 30x brushing sessions, so if you're going on a trip for several days you shouldn't need to pack the charger.

Verdict: very stylish, very effective, lots of nice features but at the current price, rather expensive when compared to earlier Sonicare models. My advice: a good choice but if you're on a budget, wait for the price to come down - which it surely will.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Am Loving This, 22 July 2013
M. Dowden (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Firstly, there are a few things I should point out. Reading the product description you see that this has a long battery life between charges, but please remember, this is based on one person only cleaning their teeth for two minutes twice a day. If there is going to be more than you using this, then please take that into account, and if like me it takes you longer than two minutes to clean your teeth, this will reduce this time as well. So saying, I should think that you are going to get well over a week without having to recharge this, which is better than what I currently get on my toothbrush, which is four days at best. In the box you get an owner's manual, and please read this as well; there are certain alterations you can make to customise this. I personally get fed up with the quad pacer sounding every thirty seconds, so I have turned that off, and if you are a bit wary of using this for the first time, you may want to initiate the easy start feature, which slowly ramps up the intensity over a period of days.

In the box you get the actual brush body, two toothbrush heads, a travelling charger, and a casing that you can put that into if you so desire, for home (this has bits on to hold more than one brush head, so ideal for a couple), instruction and guarantee books, and a nice hard plastic travelling case, that will hold the brush body, and two brush heads.

The brush heads are easy to click on and off, so there is no difficulty in changing them, and according to the manufacturers this will take any of the Philips click on heads, so if you are buying this as a replacement, the heads that you already own will fit (unless it is the Elite screw on type). This is rather intuitive to use, the front of the brush body has two buttons, one is the power, and the other lets you alter the program, and the speed of the brush head. You have three intensity levels for the brush head speed, these are normal clean mode, as well as white and gum care mode. Admittedly this is perhaps a bit OTT, after all you only want to clean your teeth. I should point out that when a program has finished, the brush automatically turns off, which is a bit of a nuisance, especially if like me it takes more than two minutes to clean my teeth in the basic clean operation. You have to turn the thing back on, which is really though only a minor thing. I did once read that the sonic power does diminish slightly after two minutes, so if you are still cleaning your teeth it may be advisable to quickly run the head under the tap before re-starting. I especially love the charge indicator, which has three lights and shows more clearly how much power is left in the device.

The last time I tried one of these brushes was when it first appeared on the market, and I have to say it has significantly improved since then. I found my teeth and gums to be clean and healthy after using this, and so it does work. I tried my own unofficial and non-scientific test which this passed better than my oscillating head toothbrush. This is simple if you want to replicate my experiment. Eat a bag of crisps and then clean your teeth. This removed any crisps stuck between my teeth, and the only visible indication of crisps was on one of the biting surfaces of one of my teeth, which is significantly better than with an oscillating head brush.

If you are looking for an electric toothbrush for yourself or the family then this could be the ideal one, similarly if you are thinking of changing to a different brush. However, to be perfectly candid with you, if you own an electric toothbrush and are happy with it, then stick with it, the important thing is to get your teeth clean, and to be happy with the brush you already use. I have had a quick scan through research papers and have concluded after reading numerous conflicting information that an oscillating type head is probably slightly better for removing plaque from the tooth surface that can be seen. A sonic type brush, such as this, is probably slightly better at removing unseen plaque and looking after the gums. There are only really small differences between these but it may be something to consider when purchasing a brush. I hope that this helps you on your choice of a good electric brush that will give you years of service. Remember that with something like this, you don't have to throw away the brush body when in a few years you need a new battery, you can purchase a new battery and fit it yourself, or maybe get someone you know to do it for you. It isn't hard, but it can be a bit fiddly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good clean, 18 Feb 2014
I'm comparing this to a cheaper Braun electric toothbrush I had previously. Having said that, there's really no comparison. This does an excellent job of cleaning, and as someone who has suffered from bleeding gums at times, the gum clean mode is amazing. I've been using this almost 3 months now and have been delighted with the consistently high results.

It's a bit more expensive than a regular electric toothbrush but I think it's worth the extra cost. The heads are more expensive too, but seem to last much longer. Previously I was having to replace them every 6-8 weeks, the current head I have is the original one and it's in great condition, may even last another month.