5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Fusion
If you are looking for just an album of Buddhist chants then this won't be for you, this is a fusion of the Gyuto monks and more modern music with additional lyrics. It says in the inlay booklet about using headphones for this to experience the sound in 3D better, which I have done, but also just listening to this through speakers is soothing enough.

By fusing...
Published 24 months ago by M. Dowden

3.0 out of 5 stars far east meets too much WEST?
Published 23 months ago by Archie Grimwald

3.0 out of 5 stars far east meets too much WEST?, 20 July 2013
This review is from: Chants (Audio CD)
A mixed bag this album. No denying the haunting appeal of Tibetan throat chanting albeit requiring a bit of a mixup to make it appeal to most western ears for an entire album. I can't help feeling that this addition of dance type beats and rhythmns is somewhat overplayed on occasions and less would be more if that makes any sense? The album is undeniably quite a dreamy, soothing affair and hard not to like if you are in any way a new age music fan. My main reservation with this concept is that it has all been (pretty much) done before by Enigma over twenty years ago when he experimented with American Indian, Gregorian chants and on occasions a strong eastern leaning. I own a lot of Enigma albums and the music here continually reminds me of his sound which I do find mildly annoying.Not a ground breaking moment of enlightenment to be found here but a quite nice relaxing sound for the headphones whilst laying sunbathing on an exotic beach.

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of Money, 20 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Chants (Audio CD)
What a disappointment! The chants of the monks are completely secondary on this CD and on some tracks almost left out with only a few, faint occasional chants in the background. The entire CD reminds me of lounge music with lots of beats and synthesizer and an annoying female vocalist. I bought it because of the chants of the monks and not to listen to a female lounge singer. Save your money!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Fusion, 11 July 2013
M. Dowden (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Chants (Audio CD)

By fusing the old chants with more contemporary music and vocals creates something a little bit different, and obviously will have greater appeal to a larger audience. Before playing this I was initially unsure if this blending of styles would work, I know it has done before with Native American songs very well, but this seemed perhaps a bit too ambitious. Happily I was pleasantly surprised when I started listening to this; the blending of styles does work very well. Personally I found that listening to this was soothing and calming, but also quite invigorating, giving me a feeling of well being and increased vigour. I suffer with severe depression and am going through a bit of a rough patch at the moment, but I must admit that I found this helping to lift me. That is something to bear in mind if you have had a stressful day, as this may be just what you need to recharge your batteries, especially now the weather is much warmer and the trains are sweaty as well as cramped.

As I have noted above, this is a fusion of Buddhist chanting with a more contemporary approach as regards instrumentation and other vocals, creating something a little bit different. Reaching to a larger audience I can see this as possibly being quite a hit with a lot of people.

2.0 out of 5 stars Slightly disspointing, 9 July 2013
This review is from: Chants (Audio CD)
Just got this CD. Well, the monks' chants are almost lost with all the other beats and sounds. Nice idea to make their chants more accessible to Western ears, but I think its overdone to the level of loosing their incredible chants, I am slightly disappointed.

1.0 out of 5 stars not what I was expecting, 12 July 2014
This review is from: Chants (Audio CD)
I bought this expecting chanting monks. Im such an idiot for not reading all the reviews (which I usually do!). I agree completely with all the other 1 star reviews. a real mash up of what sounds at first like the start of a bad 1950s gothic horror movie (I didnt realise monks were all bass baritone) but quickly turned into nasty synthesiser style drums and guitar(?) and some woman doing a bit of clannad type stuff and just a total mess thats unpleasant to listen to and despite listening to it twice to try to be fair, it just got worse. I appreciate everyone has different ideas of whats relaxing (I personally adore whales but find whale song anyting but relaxing). I have a cd bought here called "Buddhist Chants and Peace Music (music for reflexion and relaxation from the far east)". Its not strictly monks chanting I guess, its a bit hard to describe, but its beautiful and the most relaxing sound Ive ever heard. There are only two tracks unfortunately and for me the first is the best, but they both have the same melodic, gentle, repetitive music and soft voiced singing that dont clash at any point (Im not a fan of dripping water, bird song, sea sounds etc as im so easily distracted). the singing is in an eastern dialect so although it is beautiful and enhances the music, it does not distract the mind the way a language I understand would. The sound is very traditional and If youre looking for something to meditate or relax to Id highly recommend it. Im afraid "chants" will be off to the charity shop asap

1.0 out of 5 stars Synthetic, not Organic, 11 May 2014
This review is from: Chants (Audio CD)
Tibetan Buddhist Chanting at it's most impure. I don't see the point of overdubbing the oral perfection of highly disciplined monks with synthesizers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gyuto Monks, 31 Mar. 2014
jane churcher (Gosport, Hants United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chants (Audio CD)
I love this CD - it took me some time to fully appreciate it, but the tonal sounds are quite remarkable.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 18 Sept. 2013
Mrs. Lorraine Cole "lol" (england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chants (Audio CD)
i love this i do my massages to this and similar music my clients like the peacfulness of this cd

5.0 out of 5 stars A Spiritual Experience Beautifully recorded, 15 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Chants (Audio CD)
Having spent many years in Dharamsala India, I have been lucky to hear the Monks chanting in the confines of Namgyal Monastery home to HH The Dalai Lama.
This CD i feel is beautifully recorded and brings spirituality into the ears of the Western World. At first I too was doubting of the upbeat rhythms that accompany the throat chanting on the CD but on the whole I feel it is an amazing recording and something that I will play over and over during my own meditations.

1.0 out of 5 stars ABSOLUTELY AWFUL!!, 10 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Chants (Audio CD)
Do NOT buy this if you are looking for Guyoto monks chanting on each track there is some female either singing or talking with the chanting in the background which is just about audible. I wish I had not bought this. The MP3 download sampler does not play the sections where you can hear the female.I have another CD of their chanting which is much more 'hard core' so be careful when purchasing.

Chants
Chants by The Gyuto Monks of Tibet (Audio CD - 2013)