Format: DVDChange

on 16 October 2013
For those who know Studio Ghibli films, there's no need for a review. It's just the same storytelling magic, which can be appreciated equally well by children and adults. If you have not yet encountered these animation masterpieces, Poppy Hill is a great place to start.

There are other animations in similar style - check those by Makoto Shinkai, Mai Mai Miracle (strangely not easily available in UK), and the more grownup thrillers from Satoshi Kon.
on 9 March 2014
Very good anime. Quite mature in theme and deals with young adulthood and emotions. Great characterisation as usual from Studio Ghibli. All the little details like the animation, backgrounds and especially, human mannerisms and pauses. Which, add to a delightful and enjoyable anime dvd.

This has got some great extras. You get to see the people who made the animation and the great vocalist who signs the theme song.
on 3 December 2013
This might be quite biased: I adore all films made by Ghibli, and this is no exception!

From Up on Poppy Hill is a very relateable, cute story of first love and *no spoilers here* actually made me question my own morals on some rather taboo subjects (by today's standards anyway). The art, music, characters and story are very beautiful and is a firm favourite on my DVD shelf at home! :)
on 31 October 2014
This films is the first anime I ever watched. It was a gift from family visits abroad and at the time I had only just become aware and fascinated with this style.
Miyazaki got me hooked to anime and for that it gets 5-stars, if for nothing else. It's a very sweet storyline and is great for novices wanting to have a proper introduction to this graphical culture phenomenon.
on 28 February 2015
An excellent Ghibli animation, and nearly up there with my favourite, 'Only Yesterday'.

For me, the artwork really takes centre stage, as scenes of Yokohama in the early 1960s are brought to life so vividly, in a way that only Miyazaki can do. The DVD has some extras - I quite enjoyed that comparing footage Yokohama today with Yokohama approximately 50 years ago.
on 8 September 2013
I just love this film. It's heartwarming, funny and has just enough of the usual Ghibli-type "madness" to make it all a near perfect whole. The animation is beautiful and the music is incredible. It's nostalgic, but not sad. It is also very interesting to see a bit of Japan not 20 years after the war.

Try not to be discouraged by those who say it's too slow or a little boring. Give it a shot and I'm confident you'll be satisfied!
on 30 September 2013
Fans would already have the Japanese language or French language BluRay of this amazing film. The English language version as yet (2013) is still a USA import. I was able to buy it no problem from Vidmorph who shipped it instantly, a great seller. Obviously ensure your player(s) can play a USA bluray, or dvd. Thanks again Vidmorph for perfect service, awesome! Obviously a must for all Ghibli fans.
on 26 September 2013
While very different from other Studio Ghibli productions, From Up on Poppy Hill is well worth watching. The animation, colouring and art are all superb, and the music is catchy, haunting and moving by turns. Essentially an urban story, the viewer will notice that the majority of characters look more like real Japanese people, instead of the bland, big-eyed homogeneous humans with essentially Western features that populate many anime films. Having seen the Japanese-with-English-subs several times, I was eager to buy it on DVD. However I was surprised that in the English dub, the film starts with a long English recital explaining the backstory of Ume's family. Why was this considered necessary? I'm no Einstein, but I was able to figure the relationships out as we went along without that, even when reading subtitles. Does the distributor really believe that the English-speaking audience is too slow on the uptake to understand what they're seeing? Also, the English subtitles available are the ones that go with the original Japanese script; however the English dub changes and adds many lines, so that a person who wishes to use the subtitles to aid poor hearing will be confused. If they are going to mess around with the script to that extent, they should provide better subtitling for the English version, as they did when Totoro was released on disc. Looks like the English translating/dubbing team got lazy.

Many of the traditional Ghibli motifs are present (physically or emotionally absent parents, the adolescent girl who has to take on heavy responsibility to keep the home functioning, life-changing events involving losses of many kinds) but there is none of the fantasy-magical element many might automatically expect. Instead, the coming of age story is worked out in more realistic ways. Umi's quest to find closure for her father's disappearance during Japan's war with Korea is paralleled in the students' struggle to preserve their beloved clubhouse, Shun's quest for the truth about his own past, and the search on the part of several characters for many kinds of love: parental, romantic, even peer-group approval. Set against the backdrop of the 1964 Tokyo Olympics, the "voyage of discovery" takes place on the "sea inside" each human life and heart. What they find there creates a very real kind of magic. I watched the credits, as often the "final scenes" of Ghibli's films are played out in stills (as in the case of Totoro, or Kiki's Delivery Service). While we aren't given all the answers in a nice, neat package, I felt that I knew what the future held for these people, and it was good.

If only the subtitles had been up to standard with the content of the film, I would have given 5 stars. As a professional translator myself, I can only offer 4.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 October 2013
This, the newest Studio Ghibli release on DVD, was an unexpected delight. It addressed difficult subject matter in a way which was non-threatening, and set against the glorious artistry we have come to expect of Ghibli films, it didn't cease to satisfy.

I would thoroughly recommend this film to other S.G. fans.
on 23 August 2014
I love this film which to me if all things that are the best in Manga. It give one a good warm feeling of a bygone age, which in real life never happened which as now is a dog eat dog existence.
Still, this film is pure escapism, wonderfully produced, a film you can never tire of watching.