Format: DVD|Change

on 9 October 2013
I took my 8 year old daughter to watch this film over the summer holidays, we were not disappointed. The film we watched was the Japanese version with English subtitles, my daughter was transfixed and followed the story with ease.
The animation is stunning and the story is sooo very heartwarming. There is a twist in the story that made me flinch particularly when my daughter asked a couple of questions, I decided to ignore her and hope the twist would straighten out, which of course it did. After taking my daughter to watch a new release Disney film a week before, I cannot recommend this film highly enough, it is sensitive, gentle and beautifully made, a fresh and welcome change from the 'in your face', loud, drivel that is sadly so common in children's movies these days. We have raved about this film ever since. I would prefer a dvd or blueray with an English version and a Japanese version, if anyone knows where we can buy, would appreciate it if you will let me know. JR
on 3 October 2013
The Miyazakis' tale of young love, family secrets and connections to the past boasts all of the same strengths as the studio's many, many gems. This is all tanks to a number of elements, such as some of the most gorgeous & vibrant animation of the year, bringing 1960s Japan to beautiful, hand-drawn life. Mix that with some terrific voice work that adds a huge amount of personality, and a story that can be sweet and comforting, but also unsettling and emotional in equal measure (tackling a pretty taboo subject, made all the more touchy due to our protagonists' age), and 'Poppy Hill' is a truly stellar film that shows Good Old Hayao is far from out of his unique brand of tricks, while his son, Goro, has quite the bright future ahead of him...
on 22 January 2014
I bought this for my girlfriend for Christmas (late review but yeah), it's a really nice movie and she loves it a lot so she was happy when she opened up the present. Definitely recommend it, just as good as most of Miyazaki's films
on 17 May 2014
I was - as I always am - very impressed with this offering from the Ghibli studio though I do, however, feel that it wasn't quite as good as previous offerings.

The art and animation was brilliant, but the story was predictable and lacking in some way, with the whole film seeming as though it was just a little rushed.

The DVD itself is standard for the Studio Canal series, with a reasonable amount of special features but nothing that really wows. I can't speak for the quality of the English audio track but the Japanese Audio/English subs were definitely up to standard.

In all, this was by no means a disappointment; the art was beautiful and the story incredibly heartfelt despite its brevity.
on 25 September 2013
I have been waiting for 2 years for the movie to be released so i pre-ordered the dvd,and finally got it! Yet another success for the director's fans. Great story,great animation.The only thing thats missing are the cicadas :)
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 29 March 2015
Fans of gently paced, romantic, high-school-based animes would probably like this. This is such a sweet film! I loved how it really gives you a good sense of life in Japan during this period - the interesting look into everyday life, together with likeable characters are what really make this film truly charming (more so than the plot of the story, which some may find slightly underwhelming if this is all they're looking for in a film). The enormous attention to detail of the artwork and all the little extra touches always amazes me in Miyazaki films.

The music soundtrack throughout is so uplifting and jolly - I liked it so much I ended up getting the soundtrack! - loved it!
on 16 February 2014
I really liked this movie and bought the Bluray version. However, it turns out that the English Dub has no English subtitles (there is some extra audio in the English dub added). The Japanese version ofcourse has English subtitles, but this way I can't watch the English version with friends that don't speak English very well. (I am Dutch). I think it would have been very little effort to just transcribe the English dialog and make a extra Subtitle track for it. Especially since this is a Collection release.
on 28 January 2014
Really cute and lovely film :) enjoyable for the whole family. Would definitely recommend, also another one for the amazing Ghibli collection.
on 29 August 2013
A truly heart warming film that should speak to the teenager in us all, already re-watched it 4 times since I saw it last Saturday.
on 11 August 2014
The Blu Ray presentation here is delightful, and does justice to a wonderful film. As usual, the quality of animation by Studio Ghibli is sublime and viewing would be recommended for the artwork alone, yet the story is a subtle drama that is beautiful in itself. World details and depth of character give an insight into life which is rarely seen in mainstream animation, with a lovely melancholy feeling throughout permeated with moments of joy building towards a uplifting ending.