5.0 out of 5 stars A simply wonderful film.
This is about as far from an action film as you can get. However, there are plenty of other productions which will give you as much action and fantasy as you want, whereas a story which simply portrays the lives of ordinary Japanese people with such charm and sensitivity is quite rare, and few do it better than Ghibli.
The plot centres around the activities of...
Published 6 months ago by S. J. Fisher

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not one of their best
From Up On Poppy Hill is a heartwarming and entertaining effort from Goyo Miyazaki but I don't feel it lives up to the standard of many of Studio Ghibli's classics. There's something about the storyline that just didn't have the kind of emotional attachment I got watching their other films, even newer ones like Ponyo or Arrietty. They may not be believable stories like...
Published 2 months ago by Jamie Pankhurst

5.0 out of 5 stars A simply wonderful film., 27 Sep 2013
S. J. Fisher "Hecate" (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: From Up On Poppy Hill [DVD] (DVD)
The plot centres around the activities of various young people, and their attempts to prevent their old clubhouse from being demolished to make way for a new one. The children are perceptively observed and inhabit a rich environment of beautiful artwork with marvellous attention to detail. There is considerable humour in this story, and some fascinating observations of ordinary Japanese culture. Do they really keep vegetables under the floorboards? The screenplay and direction is gentle and sympathetic and the apparently unremarkable story is raised out of the mundane by good dialogue and believable characters, whilst a romantic relationship with a twist develops between the two main protagonists.
Needless to say, this charming film is quite suitable for all ages. Studio Ghibli has done it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars A charming, yet a not so straightforward romance movie, 4 Aug 2013
This review is from: From Up On Poppy Hill [DVD] (DVD)
Ever since watching Tales From Earthsea, it must be said I was rather put back knowing Goro Miyazaki would be directing once again. The film however, was as charming and magical as all the other Ghibli films.
The film's main storyline is about how someone is answering a young girl's signal flags of which she raises everyday outside her boarding house.

At first it seems to be a straightforward boy-meets-girl scenario, but it definitely is not the case. There's a surprising amount of twists and bumps along the way, of which left me wide open of thought afterwards. The movie overall was adorable, I thought the music was outstanding and Aoi Teshima's gorgeous voice of whom sang Therru's song in Tales from Earthsea returns. The use of Sukiyaki, the only Japanese song to reach #1 in America, I thought was a nice touch too. The animation is what you expect from Ghibli, lovely hand drawn animation that goes to show that CGI hasn't killed it off just yet. I just hope we receive a Blu-ray version of the DVD to do the movie justice.

Overall, once again Studio Ghibli produces an unorthodox movie in the romance genre, proving that film makers do not have to follow the traditional formula to make a good film. It seems the future of Ghibli is in good hands after all.

**EDIT** September 1st, Hayao Miyazaki announces his retirement, it seems the gauntlet has officially been passed onto his son and Hiromasa Yonebayashi (Director of Arrietty), though now we can finally sigh in relief!

4.0 out of 5 stars Much better from Goro!, 16 Sep 2013
This review is from: From Up On Poppy Hill [DVD] (DVD)
A much better effort from Goro, five years after Tales from Earthsea. I won't detail the plot, as others will do so in a comprehensive manner!

Of course spectacularly animated, this is a genuinely charming and splendid film with plenty of lovely and moving moments. As another reviewer has stated, this isn't a simple boy-meets-girl film - just as Whisper of the Heart isn't simply boy-meets-girl. It is along those lines, that is a lighter film rather than a heavier film like Mononoke or Nausicaa, but it offers a well-paced plot, characters you actually root for and enjoy, and brilliant Studio Ghibli humour.

Goro has expressed his reluctance to follow his father's footsteps (and who can blame him considering the outstanding quality of Hayao's films!), but he has really pulled through with From Up On Poppy Hill and it is a Ghibli I would certainly watch again. Definitely an improvement from his last film, so give it a go!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Beautiful and Heartwarming Film, 9 Oct 2013
This review is from: From Up On Poppy Hill [DVD] (DVD)
I took my 8 year old daughter to watch this film over the summer holidays, we were not disappointed. The film we watched was the Japanese version with English subtitles, my daughter was transfixed and followed the story with ease.
The animation is stunning and the story is sooo very heartwarming. There is a twist in the story that made me flinch particularly when my daughter asked a couple of questions, I decided to ignore her and hope the twist would straighten out, which of course it did. After taking my daughter to watch a new release Disney film a week before, I cannot recommend this film highly enough, it is sensitive, gentle and beautifully made, a fresh and welcome change from the 'in your face', loud, drivel that is sadly so common in children's movies these days. We have raved about this film ever since. I would prefer a dvd or blueray with an English version and a Japanese version, if anyone knows where we can buy, would appreciate it if you will let me know. JR

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome film!, 28 Jan 2014
This review is from: From Up On Poppy Hill [DVD] (DVD)
Really cute and lovely film :) enjoyable for the whole family. Would definitely recommend, also another one for the amazing Ghibli collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars love it!!, 21 Nov 2013
This review is from: From Up On Poppy Hill [DVD] (DVD)
I borrowed this dvd from the lirbray and fell in love with it, the scenery is breathtaking and I love the songs the breakfast one makes me feel hungry lol and the song when they are on the bike is so beautiful! I bought it for my ghibli collection ordered it Sunday evening came on Wednesday morning :D

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute, 5 Nov 2013
This review is from: From Up On Poppy Hill [DVD] (DVD)
I am a huge Miyazaki fan and having father and son work together on making a film is wonderful. This story of two young people being drawn together is sweet, cute and at the same time real. I is not action packed like Castle in the Sky, Princess Mononoke, etc. but I liked it, hopefully you will to!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Film, 5 Nov 2013
Jo Ikarus (Christchurch UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: From Up On Poppy Hill [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I took my daughter to see this film at a local cinema as she likes Japanese anime and I must say that even as an adult it was highly impressive so I bought the disk for the rest of the family.

5.0 out of 5 stars a fine return to Ghibli storytelling, 29 Oct 2013
This review is from: From Up On Poppy Hill [DVD] (DVD)
My daughter and I are Studio Ghibli fans, having watched all their movies. We were a little disappointed by Arietty, but this film is a lovely return to the Studio's style of animation and story. Less inspired by concerns for the environment perhaps and without fantastical creatures, this film nevertheless captivated and enchanted us. A movie suitable for a younger person or adult, thoughtful family viewing indeed, and how often can you say that about a movie these days?

5.0 out of 5 stars No problem with USA Import, 30 Sep 2013
John Paul May - See all my reviews
Fans would already have the Japanese language or French language BluRay of this amazing film. The English language version as yet (2013) is still a USA import. I was able to buy it no problem from Vidmorph who shipped it instantly, a great seller. Obviously ensure your player(s) can play a USA bluray, or dvd. Thanks again Vidmorph for perfect service, awesome! Obviously a must for all Ghibli fans.

ARRAY(0xae6271a4)

From Up On Poppy Hill [Blu-ray]
From Up On Poppy Hill [Blu-ray] by Atsushi Okui (Blu-ray - 2013)
17.98