5.0 out of 5 stars A monster of a book filled with the most bizarre, the most fascinating stuff combined in perfect Bryson style.
How on earth one person can create a book, albeit a very long book, out of such an extreme diversity of events, developments, people and plain downright pecularity, that is quite simply riveting and entertaining and somehow holds itself together? That person can only be Bill Bryson. No idea how he does it, but this is a book that is great fun to read, will contribute at...
Published 8 months ago by Kiwiflora

3.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly stodgy
Everyone knows what an entertaining writer Bryson is, but if you read this expecting it to be side-splittingly funny I think you will be disappointed. While it is full of interesting nuggets it also sags badly at times. In particular, there is WAY too much about minor aviators who all start to sound the same. In fact, there is a bit too much of everything. Bryson clearly...
Published 17 months ago by Claretta

‹ Previous | 124 25 2658 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Another country, 25 Oct. 2013
C. R. Grosvenor "humpshire" (Willenhall England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Summer: America 1927 (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed this book,although it's relevance to Me was minor, 1927 was for the USA as1963 was for the UK, a very busy news year.
Lindbergh, Babe Ruth Henry Ford all American Icons, if anybody else had written this ( and they probably have) I would not have brought it, but having said that I'm glad I did.
I still don't understand baseball.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is Bryson at close to his best, 24 Oct. 2013
This review is from: One Summer: America 1927 (Kindle Edition)
Instead of personal observation, Mr Bryson has decided to write a history book and base it on the year 1927. Obviously, he needs to digress to periods both before and afterwards to fill in the reader's background knowledge and so as not to leave him in suspense by not knowing the outcome of the events.

It is fascinating and a real eye opener to the age of prohibition, gangsters, the Model T Ford, the electric chair, apartheid, politics, pioneer aviation and baseball.

It is only with the latter that I have a problem which I'm sure I wouldn't if I were a US citizen. Mr Bryson does not explain the rules but he does explain the scoring averages for individual players and this is useful as the story unwinds and the Yankees steal the baseball scene. However, for seemingly endless pages Mr Bryson gives the averages for all the top Major League players. I presume he is an ardent fan of baseball. To an English person this means as much as if I were to write all the batting and bowling statistics for 1927 cricket, unintelligible to an American audience. I nearly docked a star because of it and my advice to all non-US people who are not intimate with baseball is to skip these pages as quickly as possible because they add nothing to the overall story.

A thoroughly good read in Mr Bryson's easy-going style and highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars One Summer, 22 Oct. 2013
Christine lee "A Customer" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Summer: America 1927 (Kindle Edition)
I'm grateful that BB wrote this book. It is bringing back so much to me
all of the things I loved to hear about in my childhood from my parents
who were both 7 years old in 1927 and lived in the reflected
glory of The Babe and Lindbergh and passed it along to their
children. It's kind of like my own
children being agog that I know about the great era of the 60's -
Kennedy etc - in the USA.

It's a pleasure to read and the way BB weaves his facts and the funny
phrases (witty and wry and downright hilarious) he uses to describe people ("he wouln't
miss the opening of a drawer" etc etc) make it a great read.

If I have to be really serious, it is a great way for me to have finally
realized at what point in history Coolidge and Harding actually lived.

And parts about Prohibition are worth the price of the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The old master strikes again, 21 Oct. 2013
This review is from: One Summer: America 1927 (Kindle Edition)
I am actually being discerning giving this 5 stars. Bryson is one of the few writers who can get away with using 10 words where 2 would do, such is his command of storytelling. If you're a long term fan you'll not be disappointed, if you've never read him it's time to find out what you're missing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like hearing about ancient news stories from an old friend, 19 Oct. 2013
This review is from: One Summer: America 1927 (Kindle Edition)
A great piece of writing. Like having a conversation with an old friend. Only in this case the friend seems to have lived through 1927!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating book, 18 Oct. 2013
This review is from: One Summer: America 1927 (Kindle Edition)
I am a great fan of Bill Bryson and have enjoyed every one of his books-this one was equally interesting and an engrossing read. There is quite a bit of detail about baseball which I found rather difficult to concentrate on, but the stories around the various people, places and events that went on over the summer of 1927 are beautifully written, interesting and detailed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and informative, 17 Oct. 2013
Dr. S. S. Turner "bob" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Summer: America 1927 (Kindle Edition)
We are now in a age of cheap (free) information. A minute with the Google search engine can find more fun facts than our parents (or maybe grandparents) could find in a week trawling through the local library. I think the freedom of information is a bad thing: the result is a generation of people overloaded with so much information that we can not distinguish facts from fiction, or discern what is useful or not. We spend too much time just sucking in these random facts. Bill Bryson's latest book, One Summer, is certainly packed to the gills with fun facts, along with piles of anecdotes, interesting statistics: tons of information. Therefore, in this age of cheap information I think books like this can be considered not worthy of reading, after all we can just Google it all. However, this does not take into consideration the sheer brilliance of Bryson's ability to weave all this information into compelling narratives often jumping between different stories only to elegantly bring it all together again. The author certainly has a track record in this type of writing, with his slightly less engaging, but nonetheless excellent "At Home" and the superlative exercise that was "A short history about everything". This is how information should be presented.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 15 Oct. 2013
This review is from: One Summer: America 1927 (Kindle Edition)
Intriguing. Lots of info on USA history of the 20's that I wasn't aware of especially Presidents Harding and Coolidge

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Read, 15 Oct. 2013
This review is from: One Summer: America 1927 (Kindle Edition)
Very Bill Bryson, full of detail fleshing out areas in American history which the average Brit would probably have only scant knowledge of, but in an interesting and humourus manner. Am still reading and thoroughly enjoying the Kindle edition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 13 Oct. 2013
This review is from: One Summer: America 1927 (Kindle Edition)
I have thoroughly enjoyed all of his books that I have read and this one is no exception I would recommend it to anyone

‹ Previous | 124 25 2658 | Next ›