5.0 out of 5 stars Best of the lot.
Due to the success of the Spanish national team and the exploits of arguably the world's two biggest clubs, there have been many books about Spanish football. Sid Lowe's book tops the lot and stands head and shoulders above the rest. But this is far more than just a book about football.....

Football takes a back seat for the first 80 pages, Spain's politics...
Published 17 months ago by godzilla78

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent
Can't fault the depth of research that has gone into the book, but if you're reading it for the 'football' side of the rivalry you might find the historical and political context drags on a bit when it's setting the scene. I understand it's an essential part of the story, but I enjoyed this book more once it moved on from that and started telling the story of the rivalry...
Published 6 months ago by GF

4.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating relationship, 7 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Fear and Loathing in La Liga: Barcelona vs Real Madrid (Kindle Edition)
I gave this book a rating of 4 because I found it a fascinating and informative insight into European football major superpowers especially the fact that contrary to legend both clubs were on the same side during the civil war and how politics and dodgy refereeing shaped this incredible rivalry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly informative and enjoyable., 20 Jan. 2014
Mr. C. Clarke (Newtownards, N Ireland) - See all my reviews
I've read a lot of Sid Lowe's columns in World Soccer over the years and I have come to trust his opinion and superb analysis with regards to Spanish football. I only realised that he had written this book when I was browsing the sports section in my local bookstore and was pleasantly surprised when I seen it on the shelf. Needless to say I purchased it on the spot!

I proceeded to become lost in the pages as the book was utterly fascinating. Absolute credit to Sid as the depth of his research was extensive in the extreme!!I loved the way the book was structured and the attention paid to key periods in both the clubs histories. The chapters on Di Stefano, the Barca dream team from the 90's and the vulture squad were particular highlights for me. Also, the information on the Spanish civil war set the tone for the rest of the book. Sid was able to explain the true background about Real being Franco's team and the myths surrounding this. I've actually ordered Orwell's Homage to Catalonia on the back of reading this book as I would like to learn more about the Catalan perspective of the civil war.

Overall a fabulous read that any football fan will greatly enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent reading, 30 Dec. 2013
An informative history of Spain acts as a bonus alongside the detailed description and analysis of football, rivalry, and politics (internal and external) at Barcelona and Real Madrid.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 17 April 2014
A really well written and very interesting and informative read for anyone who enjoys the La Liga rivalry of these two teams and wants to learn more about the history of the two clubs. Very well done to Sid Lowe for producing such an informative and interesting book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Brilliant Book, 3 Mar. 2014
I'm about 90% of the way through this book, and I can honestly say it's one of the best I've read. I don't want it to finish. If you love El Clasico and you want to learn more about the history of the Real-Barca rivalry, this book is the way to do it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent reviews, 28 Dec. 2013
I bought two of these as presents after hearing great reviews on the radio. Makes a change from the usual autobiography football books around at Christmas. Arrived promptly and both recipients of the presents are pleased!

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality book, 29 Jun. 2014
Excellent book. Would recommend to any football fan or anyone interested in a unique piece of history. Would thoroughly recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars everything you'll ever need to know about this rivalry, 30 Oct. 2014
Highly informative, a great read as expected from a great writer. Glad I invested the time to go through it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Was bought as a present for my brother in law ..., 5 Jan. 2015
Was bought as a present for my brother in law. He loves it and my nephew can't wait to read it also!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Made a great gift!, 5 Sept. 2014
I bought this for my boyfriend and he really seemed to enjoy it, got me some brownie points anyway!