on 27 October 2013
I follow the author on Twitter and have found her links to sales and the like incredibly handy. I also see her tweets about Tenner Week and think to myself I'd never have the discipline to do that. Having read this book, I still doubt I'd do the Tenner Week challenge but it's because I'm reasonably solvent and already careful with my money.

However, it was an eye-opening read. I was particularly taken with the tips to be more frugal in the kitchen as I spend a lot of money on food - from choice. I immediately reorganised my freezer and put the longest-frozen meats on the top so I can use them up before they deteriorate. Then I tidied up my larder. I also resolved to finally order from a local veg box scheme I'd been looking at and then I decided not to buy any more veg between now and the box arriving so as to use up what was already in the fridge. There was a ton of good ideas for entertainment too - cutting back on TV and reading a book instead (something I sometimes struggle to find time for, and the author has a good list of suggestions for getting free e-books), meeting friends at home, plus making good use of free museums and galleries. And importantly, Golightly offers a lot of very useful and sensible advice on resisting consumer pressure to spend money as well as tips on longer-term saving in the form of switching utilities and other contracts - very timely as the cost of living rises again.

All in all, it's a very useful read even if, like me, you don't think you'll do the Tenner Week, because we can all benefit from looking after the pennies.
on 25 October 2013
Lots of us need to watch our spending at the moment, and what I liked about this concise ebook is that it examines how spending less might make you feel, and how other people might react to it. Because money is an emotional subject and presses buttons we don't necessarily understand. The author provides lots of reasons for cutting back your expenditure, and plenty of ideas for still living life to the full without feeling deprived. You will save many times the minimal cost of this ebook if you apply just a few of the points suggested.
on 30 October 2013
As someone who regularly turns to Penny's blog got money saving advice, I was excited when I heard she had released How to live on £10 a week. The book was full of useful tips and tricks to save money, and was perfect for reading over a rainy weekend. Contrary to what another reviewer has said, I think there are plenty of things mentioned that aren't general knowledge (things like unusual places to find new books and tools to reduce food costs). If you're looking to cut costs for a couple of weeks or months, this is the perfect way to kick things off.
on 27 October 2013
This is a fun minibook about how to challenge yourself to live on £10 for a week. I love it that you are not supposed to be a sad sack and sit in front of the TV. You are encouraged to do stuff to make your life better.

This is a good challenge when you are trying to save up for something special or just to get a handle on your spending.
on 8 October 2013
Having followed Penny's blog for a while and already taking part in a tenner week, I was pleased with how much this book had to offer. It really brought together the key ideas behind the challenge, as well as plenty of general thrifty advice on how to get the most out of every penny.

The introduction and first chapter outline what the challenge is and how it came about, as well as laying down the basic rules for playing along. This is followed by a chapter on bonus points, which is my favourite as it discusses all the extra things you might try and do for tenner week to stop it being 7 nights sat on the sofa watching crappy TV. This is the real gem of this book and the challenge - it's not just about improving your finances, but also your quality of life.

The next section is called How to Eat Well on £10 a Week and covers how to stretch your budget to feed yourself for the week (without resorting to beans on toast 4 nights in a row). As on her blog, Penny puts the emphasis on healthy budget eating - so plenty of fruit and vegetables and plenty of information on how to get a balanced diet, including a `real world food shop' with your £10 budget. There's also some very sound advice that I'll be using for the next tenner week on menu planning to get the best out of what's in your cupboard/freezer. I know this is a big flaw of mine as I've a habit of deciding on the way home from work what to cook for dinner and buying what I need as/when I need it.

The final chapter, on Troubleshooting is going to be a big help to anyone who has tried and struggled with the challenge before. It can lead to quite a lot of introspection as you examine your relationship with your finances. How to Live on £10 a Week proves the perfect companion to this - a reassuring hand-holding through the challenge.

** Disclaimer: I was sent a review copy of this book. A longer version of this review appears on my blog here - [...] **
on 6 February 2014
This book focuses mainly on lowering food expenditure rather than anything else, it has very few pages so be aware if that before you purchase
on 1 October 2013
I really like how this e-book is easy to follow without being preachy and doesn't try to get you to make impossibly drastic changes to your way of life overnight to save money. It's full of simple little things that seem very achievable for most people, whether you're someone who's unemployed or on a low wage or even on a pretty good wage. There are quite a few things in this book that I've tried and it does make you think twice about how much you really need to spend on lunch, or how you can make your weekly food shop last a bit longer - there's even recipe ideas which I've tried and can confirm make tasty results.
Well written, concise and well worth the money. I've saved more than the cost of the e-book in less than a week by following some of its tips.
on 8 December 2013
Great tips and advice on living for less. Good links to other free resources. Some nice things to keep u occupied and get out of the "tv rut" I highly recommend this book.
on 23 January 2014
I found that the most added value of this book is the exploration of the emotions that drive you to spend money and the importance of managing stress, looking at the bigger picture and consider activities like volunteering. A very good read.
on 25 February 2014
Book does not give you any real tips, waste of money and I would not buy as you could find all the information online and through common sense, live on £10 a week if you use everything in your store, well that is not really living on £10!!