Top positive review
on 29 June 2016
This is a nice R&B album. It is pretty cohesive once you get past the first track, which is brilliant, by the way. The production is nice and understated, as are Kelly's vocals for the most part.
1. Freak - 10/10 - This is a Jamie Foxx cover, but Kelly does the song justice. A very seductive mid-tempo number.
2. Kisses Down Low - 5/10 - A bit of a letdown after "Freak".
3. Gone - 8/10 - The sampling of "'Til It's Gone" is great. A wry chill song, with a catchy chorus and guest verse from Wiz Khalifa.
4. Talk a Good Game - 8/10 - This is a nice slow jam.
5. Down on Love - 8/10 - Another nice, but more mid-tempo song.
6. Dirty Laundry - 6/10 - This is a very honest record, on which Kelly details her feelings on Beyoncé's success and on an abusive relationship.
7. You Changed - 6/10 - This features Beyoncé and Michelle. Nice harmonies.
8. I Remember - 7/10 - Another nice album track.
9. Red Wine - 5/10 - Okay song, but it drags a bit for me.
10. This is Love - 8/10 - A very nice ballad.
11. Street Love - 9/10 - This is a nice hip hop-influenced song, with a nice feature from Pusha T. I especially like the arrangement of the track, the verses and the second part of the chorus.
12. Stand in Front of Me - 9/10 - Another nice ballad. I like Kelly's voice on this, especially where she self-harmonises in a different octave.
13. Sky Walker - 8/10 - The first of three bonus tracks. Another nice one.
14. Put Your Name on It - 9/10 - Brilliant vocal performance here.
15. #1 - 6/10 - Okay song. Probably not the best choice for a closer.