1,319 Reviews
 (1,194)

5.0 out of 5 stars Bose finally hits the jackpot on this one!
Published 10 months ago by vk

3.0 out of 5 stars Happy but not delighted
Bose has serious competition in the portable audio market now. Companies such as bowers and wilkins for example make some stellar portable audio products that for their type are as good as it gets and expose manufacturers , such as bose, who have traded purely on perceived value and quite frankly built some horribly built and very overpriced products, for what they are. I...
Published 15 months ago by klystrode

5.0 out of 5 stars Bose finally hits the jackpot on this one!, 18 July 2014
vk (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bose ® SoundLink ® Mini Bluetooth Speaker - Silver (Electronics)
I have to say having had this speaker for several months now I am pleasantly surprised at just how good it is. I was, as I'm sure several others will be, quite hesitant at first about purchasing this despite the fairly reasonable price (by Bose standards!). I have purchased many Bose products over the years, as well as a few from other audio companies such as Sennheiser, Bowers and Wilkins, Bang & Olufsen, Audio Technica etc. I have therefore developed a fairly good sense of expectation whenever a new audio product is released regarding just how good it will be. When I ordered this from amazon, I had fairly muted expectations, with the small size and lower price bracket in particular putting me off as I thought to myself, if Bose are still making a good margin on this, then just how much have they invested into the sound quality, build and features?

In general, Bose's home audio systems of past is where I feel the company has been let down. While they have secured a good market for themselves with noise cancelling headphones, commercial speakers and home cinema systems - I feel the home audio systems such as iPod docks, Wave systems etc were vastly overhyped and overpriced. The Wave system in particular was a big disappointment for me, having purchased it a few years back for the steep price of over £500. Since then I have had little use for it beyond a clock radio, with the sound quality and technical features of many of my cheaper speakers outperforming the wave. The SoundLink Mini however is where Bose seem to have completely bucked the trend, and produced a rather exceptional speaker in all the categories I listed above. It seems as if for once, Bose have listened to the criticism of past and rather than releasing another overhyped, expensive system with unnecessarily complex 'technologies' (that they love describing in marketing pitches), they have focused solely on simplicity, quality and affordability. Those are three adjectives I never thought I'd associate with Bose!

When I received the delivery I have to say I was quite surprised at just how small the speaker was. As you open the box you are met with a well packed set of cables and leaflets, as is the Bose norm. Delving deeper, as I picked up the speaker it felt unnaturally small and light compared to my expectations from the preview shots I had seen online. What really surprised me however, was just how good the build quality was for Bose. Gone was the tacky and cheap plastic used on speakers in the past, instead the Soundlink Mini has a sleek aluminium casing with easy to access suppressed rubber dials. Despite being small and light, I felt confident that it was sturdy enough to last being kept on display, something I have been unsure of with previous products. In addition, the number of extras packed in was unusual for Bose and even more so noting this is one of their lower priced products. The speaker itself comes with a mains charging cable, but also a charging stand that you can simply place the system on to charge (which saves you plugging it in every time). Even for expensive wave systems Bose charges for almost everything extra except the product and mains lead, so this was a nice addition.

Onto the rather important issue of sound quality, I must say that the first time I turned the Soundlink Mini on and played some music I was extremely surprised at just how good the audio quality was for a speaker of this size. The entire range of my music could be heard, something I had usually come to expect from much larger and more expensive speakers. Unless you adjust the volume settings unusually high, the audio remains clear and crisp. The sound projection and volume is very good and can easily fill a common location you might use this in such as living rooms and bedrooms. Dare I say all these criteria were just as good if not better than the Bose wave system I had previously and the iPod dock - both of which were more than double the price of this. The small size has its advantages too, the set is incredibly portable and can be carried in a single hand, while the battery length is fantastic for once giving close to the promised 7 hours on full charge. So far I have even been able to enjoy this in the garden without worrying about setting it up or damaging the speakers.

Before ordering this one of the things I was particularly concerned about was just how efficient and easy the bluetooth connectivity would be, as in the past I have had quite a hassle setting up certain systems. I have to say within minutes of using the SoundLink all my worries went away, and so far it has always taken me just a few seconds to connect my device and start playing. The setup with PC's, phones and apple devices in particular is very easy and you can stream pretty much any audio onto the speaker, whether that be from a movie, game or just music. Despite not having any digital dials, the SoundLink has a handy bluetooth memory which automatically recognises past devices with a blinking white light and starts playing straight away. For ease of use alone I would give this 5 stars, I can't see anybody having problems setting it up.

So onto the final verdict, if you're reading this you're either wondering whether or not to make the leap and buy this or you're simply gloating about how good the speaker you've just purchased is by reading all the glowing reviews. For those in the former category, I would say don't let any prior perceptions of Bose hinder you on this one, branding aside this is one of, if not the best portable speaker you can buy for the money. From the build to the audio it just oozes quality and is extremely easy to use and set up. If you're wondering whether or not you will have any use for a small speaker like this , then believe me when I say there are a dozen not to mention the others you'll find when you discover just how good the quality is. In fact, bearing in mind it measures up to many larger speakers I have tested you may find you start using it in place of bigger systems and will start to appreciate it's practicality as a result. Of course, this isn't going to replace any complex audio system or home cinema setup you have so it's wise to be realistic regarding expectations. However, for the size, quality and ease of use this is a real five star product that will be a welcome addition in any home, whether it be for diehard music fans or those who just want better audio when watching movies on the iPad.

Besides, how many other speakers of this quality can you whisk outside at a moments notice on a sunny day to enjoy a summer cocktail while some old school Otis Redding plays in the background?

5.0 out of 5 stars The Bose Soundlink Mini is fantastic., 22 Sept. 2014
The Bose Soundlink Mini is fantastic.

Background:
----------------
Over the last few months I have used a number of portable speakers, starting with an X-Mini, followed by the KitSound Pocketboom XB, Anker MP141, Cowin Thunder, Logitech UE Boom and the Bose Soundlink Mini.

If you're considering purchasing a speaker in this price range you're probably also looking at the UE Boom. I was in exactly the same situation. I read countless reviews, some favouring the Bose, others the UE. In the end I decided to order both and compare them myself.

I'm the furtherest thing you get from an audiophile. All I wanted was a speaker I could pull out of my bag, pop down on the table in the outside garden at my local pub, and have everyone enjoy a bit of music.

On to the details...

The Good:
--------------
Sound quality is superb
- Good bass
- Good separation
Solid construction
Battery life (7 hours compared to smaller speakers with only 2-3 hours)
Convenient charging mat

The Bad:
------------
Proprietary charger - no USB
Sometimes too much bass. (Is that possible?!)
Battery life (Only 7 hours compared to UE's 15 hours)
Cover and/or case, which are great, are not included, and they are another £60 together.

Compared to the UE Boom:
-------------------------------------
The UE Boom has all the bells and whistles one would expect from a modern device. In its favour it has: longer battery life, USB charger, 360 degree sound, a more rugged design, spill-proof cover, ability to be paired in stereo, an app to control EQ and alarm, NFC, works as a speaker-phone, comes in a range of colours, etc.

In the End:
--------------
All of the above are great features. At the end of the day, however, I opted for the Bose because of its superior sound quality. Playing the two speakers side by side, flicking back and forth allowed me to discover, for the first time in my life, how two speakers can sound completely different.

Audiophiles talk about things like 'a large sound-stage' and 'good separation' and 'warm sound'. I've never paid much attention to this sort of talk because I didn't 'get' it. Having heard and compared the Bose to the UE, I think I've had my first glimpse into understanding and appreciating what a good speaker ought to be able to do. I could clearly pick out individual instruments, whereas from the Boom they seemed to be squashed on top of one another.

A lot of reviews will tell you that the UE Boom has more mids and highs and goes louder. This is pretty accurate. What I will say, however, is that during my very scientific pub test I noticed that when I put the Bose on, people didn't have to raise their voices to speak over it - it was almost as though the sound was on a different frequency, bubbling up from below, and not clashing with people's chatting. It could still be heard, clearly, but it wasn't intrusive. That was at about 40% volume. People were tapping their feet and nodding heads with the Bose providing a lovely backdrop. The UE was different. People either stopped talking because it was overpowering, even at lower volumes, or they spoke louder, competing with the speaker.

All my smaller speakers, and the UE, clashed with chatter, causing people to talk more loudly. Consequently the sound gets drowned out so you turn up the volume, causing people to talk louder, again...

Summary:
--------------
If you're looking for a portable speaker that sounds great, this is it.
If you want extra features you may find the Mini lacking when compared to the Boom, but you'll be compromising on sound quality if those features are more important to you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Feat of engineering, 31 Jan. 2015
Mr. G. Surgenor "Gareth S" (Leicestershire, UK) - See all my reviews
I simply can't rate this little speaker high enough. It's a doddle to set up, I run it from my phone and tablet, and get music from Spotify.
The battery seems to last forever, I had 7 hours of it last weekend, and there's enough charge still left that it's been going for 2 hours this morning with no charging in between.

Sound quality is lovely, if anything slightly bass heavy, it works best if placed on a solid surface. If you put it on a chest of drawers for example, it's powerful enough to drive bass through the frame. It really has the power to fill any room, and I've been blown away with it's performance outdoors.
For being only 7" long and 2" high, I really cannot express how impressive the sound is!
It's so good, I'm now sorely tempted for fork out £260 for the Bose noise cancelling headphones.

My only niggle, and it is tiny, is the volume buttons on the top (which are easy to find in low light due to careful design of the button shapes) only increment the volume a very small amount, so you have to press them a number of times to get an appreciable change in volume. This is offset by the fact you can just hold them down and the volume ramps at an easily controllable rate.

Everyone who has heard this speaker on holiday has commented on the quality and power, and asked to know the make and model.

Excellent device, well done Bose, you're now on my favourite technology supplier list!!

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW.....just WOW, 19 Nov. 2013
C. J. Taylor (London) - See all my reviews
OK... this is what I have been looking for for a LONG LONG time.
Something portable that packs a punch.
£140.. is a bargain for this kit.... yes I got it when Amazon knocked £30 from the price... lucky I guess.
But even at £170, this device is a belter.

I ummed and ahhhed about which to buy. Like many before I looked at Jambone, Samsung, Sony, Logitech etc.... and after reading many reviews and seeing the Amazon offer... took the plunge.

Just the feel of the Soundlink Mini gives you a smile. This is not the stupid poxy portable speakers you associate with mobile sound. This is a weighty product that oozes quality.
Pair it up.... takes all over 20 seconds or so... and you are off.

The sound is stunning. If you are used to tinny, sound distorted music playing from AA battery driven speakers..... this is like stepping into the future. Base booms, treble is crisp and clean and I for one have not heard any distortion. You will be gob smacked.
The techy guys at Bose need one hell of a pat on the back for this kit.

I am not one for writing reviews BUT having deliberated about the Soundlink Mini for a few weeks I want to say.... do not hesitate, do not think about it... buy it.... you will not be disappointed. I was so impressed... I decided to write my first Amazon review.

5.0 out of 5 stars This tiny device defies physical laws! You need to listen to believe it!, 2 Feb. 2015
This tiny device defies physical laws!
Originally I wasn't too keen on the shape of this box (and eventually bought a sleeve to protect the edges from being bumped) but after listening and comparing it to some similar products (JBL Charge two for example, I really liked the looks of it) there was no comparison. This box plays in a leage of its own. Seriously. (I have no afiliation with Bose. Just a very happy customer). If you listen to classical music, this device shines. When you play this, everyone will look for the subwoofer under the table. Except, there isn't any. I have no idea how they pull this off, but it pumps out a bass like a big massive woofer. And the sound never gets distorted, no matter how loud or quiet you play it. Best placed on a solid surface, keep it some ten inches away from a wall if there is one and you'll wonder how this can work.
Easily transportable, you can take it anywhere. It connects via bluetooth without glitch to my iPhone, iPad and most recently to my MacBook Pro (OSX 10.9.5) and if it really comes to a crunch and there is no bluetooth around, you can always use a plain standard audio cable (stereo please ;)
Battery life is more than adequate, mine lasts the whole day.
It is expensive, but you get your money's worth. No regrets.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely amazing!, 18 Feb. 2014
I never intended buying this product. I have a good Denon/Marantz HiFi sytem and also listen to my music streamed though my Sony AV amp. I did want something however for playing in our motorhome both for music and for using with the TV (Avtex TV which is good but has appalling and very weak sound). Then one day I had a spare few minutes in York and spotted this again so thought I might as well give it a listen. It is amazing, absolutely amazing!

I had not intended to get it as it is impossible to get decent sound in a speaker of this size. I do not begin to understand how Bose have achieved this but they have. I am almost ashamed to say it but I now find myself mostly ignoring my other expensive systems and playing my music in the lounge at home through this speaker.

It is not cheap, I admit, but it is worth every penny as it absolutely outshines all other speakers of a comparable size. If you get a chance then try this out instore, if not then just buy it....you will not be disappointed!

p.s.I should admit I did not get this through Amazon. Highly unusual for me as most of my purchases do come from them as the pricing and customer service is superb. I even get some groceries through them now as the appalling service, and rip off 'special offers', at the supermarkets really annoy me. In this case we have a couple of good local HiFi type stores locally and I chose to support them. I think it is important, even for Amazon, to support the local stores sometimes as that is where we can try out products like this and that benefits us all (including Amazon).

5.0 out of 5 stars Everybody should have one of these, 4 Jun. 2014
Colin McCartney (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
OK so there are cheaper Bluetooth speakers, but given that this one is a Bose I was surprised to find that the SoundLink Mini is an affordable price - you might have to save up a little, but believe me it's worth it and, if the Amazon reviews of its chief rival are anything to go by, Bose beats the Beats Audio Pill hands down.

SETUP: Easy to use and set up. That said there were a few minor misplaced panics from me initially for me such as: there's no plug in the box! (it's there Colin, keep looking) and the three-pin plug takes something of a knack to connect to the charger.

DESIGN: The classy and understated unit is very solid, brushed aluminium - it's designed to be portable (of course) and looks as though it will withstand a few knocks - although I won't be testing that. Minimalist and utilitarian, with no display just - six buttons - the focus is on ease of use. Whilst not exactly pocket-sized it's small enough to fit into any bag or backpack. The velcro cable tie for the charger cable is a thoughtful touch.

SOUND: The sound is as good I've heard from a device this size (and many larger ones too). As some reviewers have rightly commented, it's not time to throw away your hi-fi but, if even if you were to do that, the SoundLink Mini is, sound-wise perfectly adequate for most purposes. Put it this way - I would have killed for sound of this quality when playing Scritti Politti's "Cupid & Psyche 85" in my bedroom in, erm, 1985 rather than plodding on with my rather murky-sounding Boots Audio record player. It's not quite a room-filling speaker - that's particularly evident if you place it on a high shelf or when it has to compete with external noise (e.g. traffic noise through an open window), but in an average size room the volume, bass and detail of sound are impressive. Any sonic shortcomings, I suspect, are not due to the design but the inevitable physical limitations of size.

DRAWBACKS (or maybe that should be suggested improvements): This is a five star product, no question (and "What Hi-Fi agrees with me), however nothing's perfect and I would point out that the speaker is a little heavy for its size (weighs about the same as a tin of beans, I reckon) so if you're looking to travel light then you might want to assess lighter weight options, although I suspect this will almost certainly be at the expense of sound quality. I also found it very slightly fiddly to centre on the charger stand, maybe that's me being a touch OCD. Additionally, the instruction manual, though adequate, lacks detail. Some might also bemoan lack of inputs, which is a valid point maybe (and something Bose might want to consider for a revised or more upmarket version) but hey, you bought a Bluetooth speaker because you want to go wireless, right? Something also Bose might want to consider is colour: currently any colour as long as it's grey. A black option would have been nice. Finally, I always think it's mean of manufacturers not to supply accessories like carrying cases rather than make you have to shell out even more of your hard-earned. Oh well, nothing new there...

HINT: I didn't buy this on Amazon but in the Bose shop - it's exactly the same price and you get it in quite a decent shoulder bag thing - which you can just about use to carry the speaker around (plus a few other things) in the absence of a supplied case.

The above drawbacks really are very minor though - the thing with this Bose is that it just works and sounds good, and there's really not to much more to say about it than that - so away with you and enjoy some good music!

4.0 out of 5 stars Cant live without it., 9 Feb. 2014
Having owed it for a couple of months now (using it most days) I cant really live with out it. The bluetooth signal works through walls and can fill a room will sound easily. One proviso I would mention to any prospective buyer is that the speaker is quite bassy. If you're like me and listen to music the way it was intended/produced (flat equalizer settings). I found I needed to toned down the bass settings on whatever device I was using to send music to the speaker. But once I'd got the equalizers settings that sounded the most level I haven't looked back. Very pleased with my purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Full marks from a pro tech reviewer..., 15 Jan. 2015
I don't often write product reviews on Amazon but I really had to here... this is by far the best Bluetooth speaker I have used. I am a pro music producer and music technology journalist so as you can imagine I get loads of kit through the door to review.

Since I got the Soundlink Mini I haven't shut up about it ;) I'm not going to go into huge detail here but suffice to say it's really nice to get something that works so well and represents good value for money ... put simply if you are in the market for a portable / compact speaker look no further. I have tried literally everything else on the market and this wins hands down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic but not without its limits..., 12 May 2015
Dave West (Bridgend,Mid Glam) - See all my reviews
Okay, I've had this for a few months now and before buying a read quite a few websites and reviews here and finally went and had a listen to one in store. I was sold immediately.

One thing I am keen to stress (as per the title) is there are some (minor but noticeable) limitations due to the physical dimensions and what I guess is Bose's first attempt at this kind of technology (i.e. their first portable speaker). I think some reviewers got a bit carried away when reviewing the Soundlink Mini as the bass can tend to get a bit slow and lumpy at times, causing a clipping effect (imagine the sound of bass distorting or 'popping' on a car stereo when the amp is too powerful for the speakers but the remainder of the sound remains clear).

It is most noticeable on tracks like Uptown Funk by Mark Ronson or bass heavy dance music - HOWEVER - do not let this put you off what is a frankly incredible piece of engineering. I wanted to get this out of the way first before moving onto the rest of the review as the above is the only thing I could find fault.

First up, the build quality is superb. The unit is made from one sheet of aluminium with the speaker units and internals wedged through the middle. The first time you take it from the box you know this is quality, nothing creaks or bends and it has a reassuring heft which gives a great impression of something which is built to last. Set up is simple, power on, Bluetooth pairing begins immediately - acknowledged by a blue flashing light on the control deck. Search using your device, a little bleep and you're connected. Fun begins.

Yes, this little beast can go very loud - loud enough to fill even a large room. Case in point, I take this to work every night and to give you an idea of size, our office building is basically 4 large Tesco stores stacked on top of one another, each floor is roughly the same size as the shop floor of said retailer. We occupy one corner of the office overnight and this can be easily heard half way across the office floor and even when stood the complete opposite end it can still be heard. We're talking around 40,000 sq. ft. of office space here! What also impresses is the great battery life, I can easily get 7 hours from this before recharging.

What will impress you most after hearing the lovely rich, warm bass is the stunning mid to upper range this speaker can muster up. I've heard many audiophile systems, the ones which can give you the shivers down the spine with their sheer scale and detail. Well, this won't compete on volume but what it can easily do is convey the raw emotion of Joni Mitchell singing Both Sides Now, the melodic piano of Billy Joel on Piano Man, and the amazing scale of Annie Lennox singing I Put a Spell on You. Put this on just before full volume and play the latter track and you will be gobsmacked at the scale of Annie Lennox' opening vocal. It is absolutely fantastic and all of my friends and family are totally blown away by the quality of sound this can push out from its diminutive size. The best speakers are the ones which have you tapping your feet to the music rather than distracting you with peculiar sound characteristics.

Providing you take note of the small limitations (only to be expected - there is no replacement for a large cabinet to move lots of air for a powerful bass), you will absolutely not be disappointed.

Even at its full RRP this is great but if you can snag it cheaper when Amazon sometimes drop the price, this is a cracking buy and if you can afford it then there is no better small speaker for the money.