5.0 out of 5 stars WOW.....just WOW
OK... this is what I have been looking for for a LONG LONG time.
Something portable that packs a punch.
140.. is a bargain for this kit.... yes I got it when Amazon knocked 30 from the price... lucky I guess.
But even at 170, this device is a belter.

Published 8 months ago by C. J. Taylor

2.0 out of 5 stars Very inferior to Soundlink 2, or any other Bose product I have tried
I feel bad writing this because generally I am really convinced by the quality of the Bose range. We have two Soundwave systems, a Soundwave Radio, two sets of Companions (one with a sub woofer) and a Soundlink 2, so we do put our money where our mouth is! I had high expectations for the Soundlink mini, and in many ways it is great: beautiful design, incredibly compact,...
Published 6 months ago by BHP

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW.....just WOW, 19 Nov 2013
C. J. Taylor (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bose SoundLink Mini Bluetooth Speaker (Electronics)
OK... this is what I have been looking for for a LONG LONG time.
Something portable that packs a punch.
But even at 170, this device is a belter.

I ummed and ahhhed about which to buy. Like many before I looked at Jambone, Samsung, Sony, Logitech etc.... and after reading many reviews and seeing the Amazon offer... took the plunge.

Just the feel of the Soundlink Mini gives you a smile. This is not the stupid poxy portable speakers you associate with mobile sound. This is a weighty product that oozes quality.
Pair it up.... takes all over 20 seconds or so... and you are off.

The sound is stunning. If you are used to tinny, sound distorted music playing from AA battery driven speakers..... this is like stepping into the future. Base booms, treble is crisp and clean and I for one have not heard any distortion. You will be gob smacked.
The techy guys at Bose need one hell of a pat on the back for this kit.

I am not one for writing reviews BUT having deliberated about the Soundlink Mini for a few weeks I want to say.... do not hesitate, do not think about it... buy it.... you will not be disappointed. I was so impressed... I decided to write my first Amazon review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bose finally hits the jackpot on this one!, 18 July 2014
vk (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bose SoundLink Mini Bluetooth Speaker (Electronics)
I have to say having had this speaker for several months now I am pleasantly surprised at just how good it is. I was, as I'm sure several others will be, quite hesitant at first about purchasing this despite the fairly reasonable price (by Bose standards!). I have purchased many Bose products over the years, as well as a few from other audio companies such as Sennheiser, Bowers and Wilkins, Bang & Olufsen, Audio Technica etc. I have therefore developed a fairly good sense of expectation whenever a new audio product is released regarding just how good it will be. When I ordered this from amazon, I had fairly muted expectations, with the small size and lower price bracket in particular putting me off as I thought to myself, if Bose are still making a good margin on this, then just how much have they invested into the sound quality, build and features?

In general, Bose's home audio systems of past is where I feel the company has been let down. While they have secured a good market for themselves with noise cancelling headphones, commercial speakers and home cinema systems - I feel the home audio systems such as iPod docks, Wave systems etc were vastly overhyped and overpriced. The Wave system in particular was a big disappointment for me, having purchased it a few years back for the steep price of over 500. Since then I have had little use for it beyond a clock radio, with the sound quality and technical features of many of my cheaper speakers outperforming the wave. The SoundLink Mini however is where Bose seem to have completely bucked the trend, and produced a rather exceptional speaker in all the categories I listed above. It seems as if for once, Bose have listened to the criticism of past and rather than releasing another overhyped, expensive system with unnecessarily complex 'technologies' (that they love describing in marketing pitches), they have focused solely on simplicity, quality and affordability. Those are three adjectives I never thought I'd associate with Bose!

When I received the delivery I have to say I was quite surprised at just how small the speaker was. As you open the box you are met with a well packed set of cables and leaflets, as is the Bose norm. Delving deeper, as I picked up the speaker it felt unnaturally small and light compared to my expectations from the preview shots I had seen online. What really surprised me however, was just how good the build quality was for Bose. Gone was the tacky and cheap plastic used on speakers in the past, instead the Soundlink Mini has a sleek aluminium casing with easy to access suppressed rubber dials. Despite being small and light, I felt confident that it was sturdy enough to last being kept on display, something I have been unsure of with previous products. In addition, the number of extras packed in was unusual for Bose and even more so noting this is one of their lower priced products. The speaker itself comes with a mains charging cable, but also a charging stand that you can simply place the system on to charge (which saves you plugging it in every time). Even for expensive wave systems Bose charges for almost everything extra except the product and mains lead, so this was a nice addition.

Onto the rather important issue of sound quality, I must say that the first time I turned the Soundlink Mini on and played some music I was extremely surprised at just how good the audio quality was for a speaker of this size. The entire range of my music could be heard, something I had usually come to expect from much larger and more expensive speakers. Unless you adjust the volume settings unusually high, the audio remains clear and crisp. The sound projection and volume is very good and can easily fill a common location you might use this in such as living rooms and bedrooms. Dare I say all these criteria were just as good if not better than the Bose wave system I had previously and the iPod dock - both of which were more than double the price of this. The small size has its advantages too, the set is incredibly portable and can be carried in a single hand, while the battery length is fantastic for once giving close to the promised 7 hours on full charge. So far I have even been able to enjoy this in the garden without worrying about setting it up or damaging the speakers.

Before ordering this one of the things I was particularly concerned about was just how efficient and easy the bluetooth connectivity would be, as in the past I have had quite a hassle setting up certain systems. I have to say within minutes of using the SoundLink all my worries went away, and so far it has always taken me just a few seconds to connect my device and start playing. The setup with PC's, phones and apple devices in particular is very easy and you can stream pretty much any audio onto the speaker, whether that be from a movie, game or just music. Despite not having any digital dials, the SoundLink has a handy bluetooth memory which automatically recognises past devices with a blinking white light and starts playing straight away. For ease of use alone I would give this 5 stars, I can't see anybody having problems setting it up.

So onto the final verdict, if you're reading this you're either wondering whether or not to make the leap and buy this or you're simply gloating about how good the speaker you've just purchased is by reading all the glowing reviews. For those in the former category, I would say don't let any prior perceptions of Bose hinder you on this one, branding aside this is one of, if not the best portable speaker you can buy for the money. From the build to the audio it just oozes quality and is extremely easy to use and set up. If you're wondering whether or not you will have any use for a small speaker like this , then believe me when I say there are a dozen not to mention the others you'll find when you discover just how good the quality is. In fact, bearing in mind it measures up to many larger speakers I have tested you may find you start using it in place of bigger systems and will start to appreciate it's practicality as a result. Of course, this isn't going to replace any complex audio system or home cinema setup you have so it's wise to be realistic regarding expectations. However, for the size, quality and ease of use this is a real five star product that will be a welcome addition in any home, whether it be for diehard music fans or those who just want better audio when watching movies on the iPad.

Besides, how many other speakers of this quality can you whisk outside at a moments notice on a sunny day to enjoy a summer cocktail while some old school Otis Redding plays in the background?

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb but depends on what you want, 9 April 2014
This review is from: Bose SoundLink Mini Bluetooth Speaker (Electronics)
This is excellent. Really great sound by any standards. Amazing considering how small it is. I am extremely happy with my purchase.

However, I do have a couple of comments. If you are looking for something portable that plays great sound and you can carry around the house, patio or garden etc, this is perfect. However, if you want something that you want to travel frequently with, it may not be ideal. Two points in particular. It is heavy and has its own charger (it does not use a standard USB charger).

I really highly recommend it but not if you want something you travel frequently with.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't hesitate, 19 Jan 2014
Dean Calculator (newport, gwent United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bose SoundLink Mini Bluetooth Speaker (Electronics)
I know there are cheaper bluetooth speakers out there ,but this little thing ,about the same size as a box of after eight mints .is absolutely brilliant. Our kitchen area is 30ft by 15ft and it fills the area with a warm rich sound that is difficult to believe comes from such a small unit .
It exudes quality in sound and touch ,i thouroughly recommend this unit

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 28 April 2014
This review is from: Bose SoundLink Mini Bluetooth Speaker (Electronics)
Amazing sound from such a small 'box' - small enough to take with us on our camping trips - highly recommended :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding in every aspect!, 17 July 2014
This review is from: Bose SoundLink Mini Bluetooth Speaker (Electronics)
I very rarely write product reviews, unless I encounter something which is either particularly bad, or - as is the case with this Bose SoundLink Mini - exceptionally good.

The build-quality is superb, but let's be honest, that's hardly surprising considering the manufacturer. The speaker feels strong and robust, but is light enough to carry in your backpack if you want to take it out and about with you. Its looks are impressive too. Sitting neatly on its subtle charging cradle or just on its own, it gives the impression that it's an exciting piece of equipment which packs a punch. Bose have clearly designed this with performance in mind, but certainly not at the expense of aesthetics.

Before I discuss the sound output (which is probably your reason for reading this review) a quick word about the initial setup. In short: a piece of cake. In fact I only needed to press a single button on the SoundLink Mini to pair it with my phone, which recognised it immediately. The process can't have taken longer than twenty seconds. If you're not familiar with pairing Bluetooth devices, don't worry. The enclosed instructions are crystal-clear and you'll be up and running in no time.

Now for the main event - the sound. Whenever I'm testing audio equipment for the first time - whether it's a pair of headphones, a car stereo, or in this case, a speaker - I always use the same tune. (This is something I strongly recommend to everyone, but make sure it's something which you know very well, and preferably it should be "complex" enough to challenge the speaker's capabilities - a solo singer with an acoustic guitar, for example, won't reveal how the speaker will cope with a heavy bass line, loud drums or a crescendo of strings.) Anyway, I pressed play and sat back. To say that I was staggered would be an understatement, I was completely awestruck with the sound quality which was coming out of such a small device. I really don't know how Bose do it; had I been in a cartoon, my jaw would almost certainly have hit the ground! As I have just mentioned, I play this tune a lot, but I don't think it has ever sounded so good. Truly remarkable.

In summary, I can't recommend the Bose SoundLink Mini highly enough. Its design, quality and output are flawless, and I have no hesitation whatsoever in rating this with the maximum five stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty solid and has a punchy sound, 2 May 2014
This review is from: Bose SoundLink Mini Bluetooth Speaker (Electronics)
Nice quality piece of hardware. Pairs to my phone and tablet straight away and the sound reflects the build quality. Love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality, 28 Mar 2014
This review is from: Bose SoundLink Mini Bluetooth Speaker (Electronics)
Not cheap - but sounds great.

Did lots of research - don't know if it is the best but I am very happy.

Bluetooth works very slick.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shouldn't Like It, Can't Help Loving It, 27 Aug 2013
To set the scene...

I'm a lifelong music fan and hi-fi nut, and I normally listen to music through what I believe most people would consider `serious' hi-fi systems (Linn for my main system, Cyrus for my second system).

I wanted a highly portable (and decent sounding) speaker to take on short trips, to use for business presentations, or to listen to out in the garden at family socials.

I know that creating a big sound from a small box is extremely difficult, and becomes even more challenging when you step outside into the open air - you can't beat the laws of physics, after all - and so I fully accepted that whatever I bought in the end would be a compromise between practicality, portability and sound quality.

I looked at all the usual suspects - Logitech, Jawbone, Sony, Samsung - but finding stores that stocked the speakers I was interested in and who would let me listen to my own music on them was almost impossible, so I immersed myself in online reviews and videos. Based on my online research I backed what I thought was a dead cert and bought a Jawbone Big Jambox.

It was a big mistake - I liked the modern look and feel of it, I loved the features (heck, I even convinced myself I needed a speakerphone...), but once I got over the "wow, that plays loud for a small box" thing the simple truth was that it sounded awful with 95% of the music I played on it. I so dearly wanted to love it, but I hated listening to it.

So, back it went and my search continued. At no point did I ever consider Bose - I'd never liked the sound of their products, and as far as I was concerned they were a triumph of marketing hype, and about as far from `Hi-Fi' as it was possible to be.

Then, by chance, I heard the SoundLink Mini....

As other reviews here point out, it's superbly built, is reassuringly sturdy, is genuinely portable and has excellent battery life. But it's the quality of the sound that sets it above the competition. After the initial novelty of the form factor wears off - and it is cute, I'll admit - you'll quickly forget about the looks and will simply find yourself caught up in the music.

Most of my audio files are uncompressed or lossless, but even poorer quality files (such as low bitrate MP3s from internet radio streams) are presented with enough musicality to get your feet tapping.

It handles everything well - from the rapid fire percussion and wall-of-sound bass on Rudimental's "Home", to the subtle eeriness of Mogwai's soundtrack for "Les Revenants", and the lush electronic soundscapes of Andy Cato's "Times And Places". Even the lo-fi thrash of The Fall's "Re-Mit" sounds edgy enough for a private rock-out in the comfort of your own home.

There are cheaper portable speakers out there, and others might offer a few extra features, but if you care about musicality, build quality and don't want to gamble with your money then the SoundLink Mini should be at the top of your list.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my best buys, 15 May 2014
This review is from: Bose SoundLink Mini Bluetooth Speaker (Electronics)
Awesome - small unit, massive sound
Well worth the money - would recommend this speaker to anyone at the drop of a hat