5.0 out of 5 stars 5-star barefoot shoes
I have had and worn extensively two other 'barefoot' running shoes (Vivobarefoot), so this purchase of the Merrell Trail Glove 2 was a small venture into the unknown. After a week (and about 30km of tarmac, trails and fields) it has been a success.

Published 5 months ago by D. J. GUGAN

2.0 out of 5 stars Not again!
I've bought many pairs of Merrell trainers, some I really like, some I end up hating. These, again, are the latter. As with the Merrell embark trainers (which I ended up sending 2 pairs back), the right trainer just doesn't hold my heel in place like the left trainer. There seems to be an abundance of material around the heel on the right foot. I know it's not my feet...
Published 1 month ago by Al

5.0 out of 5 stars 5-star barefoot shoes, 12 Sept. 2014
D. J. GUGAN (N Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews

The fit is OK, within the 'normal' range for the size (UK 8) but at the small end of the normal range - so if you are mid-way between two sizes definately go for the larger. The build quality seems excellent, although only time will tell. The instep is cut away from the sole somewhat, so they feel to be giving some arch support which I would prefer not to have, but that's a small point.

Running in them is as good as any other barefoot shoes I've had. Comfortable enough on day 1 to forget you are wearing them. The sole seems very slightly thicker than the Vivobarefoots (I don't feel stones quite as much) which may be a good or bad thing depending on your viewpoint - it's not enough to concern me. They also look good!

If you are new to barefoot running you will obviously need to build up calf muscles over a period of weeks and learn the style properly, but these would be a good pair of shoes to start with.

P.S It's always worth while occasionally running completely barefoot (choose some nice smooth tarmac and some soft grass) - however much you think you are running 'barefoot' a real barefoot session will show where you are not!

5.0 out of 5 stars Barefoot Veggie, 25 May 2014
I love trail gloves. I am 6 foot 4 tall and 16 stone and have no issues. I have a pair of trail glove 1 which well worn in. I think the 2 will take a few runs with socks to soften.
Makes running the trails fun and makes you mindful of your impact on the environment.
I have a plant based diet , these shoes are vegan

5.0 out of 5 stars A worthy successor!, 8 July 2014
As a proud owner of the Merrell 1 version (had to change as had worn last pair out!) I'm loving these. Sizing same as previous pair so really do fit like a glove.
I was worried that changing might bring on blisters, but other than a slight blister on outside of one toe on first excursion, nothing else experienced. I've also found that I can go on even longer 'sockless' runs (over an hour) without any blistering, whereas the previous pair started to become a little chafed after around 3/4 hour, so looks like they've done something here.
As for the guy who reported that his feet had blisters and 'blood all over his shoes', not sure what he was doing with them, as apart from being able to run for slightly longer, there is very little difference in the running experience. Still great as ever and wouldn't part with them!

5.0 out of 5 stars A good start, 2 Sept. 2014
I started running 18 months ago at age 58. Looking for a new pair of trainers I came across these minimalist, lightweight shoes and thought I would give them a try based on the good feedback. After my first week I am not disappointed, they are everything they say. Excellent quality, comfortable without socks and they they are helping me to improve my technique. The web site has a blog with lots of advice and videos on barefoot running technique that I've found to be really helpful, including good advice on a gradual transition, not using them all the time initially. They are worth it.
I am already noticing a difference, running is feeling easier, my times have got a little faster and I'm looking forward to my next run!

5.0 out of 5 stars Suits my running style, 16 Mar. 2014
Good for moderately muddy trails and roads. You can feel the stones on a gravel path but this is part and parcel of barefoot running

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice option inbetween barefoot and standard trainers for trail running, 1 Mar. 2015
Really good shoes for less muddy trail running. The shoe structure is much firmer than my Merrell Vapor Gloves, and there is a slightly raised arch, which I was not expecting. As with my other Merrells, the shoebox is wide (and great for my specific foot shape) but the overall shape is such that, despite having narrow ankles, my feet don't fall out or feel loose. I think this shoe shape is great as it means my feet fit into the shoes rather than fitting to the shoes, with the latter case frequently leading to cramp in my calves in previous trainers I have purchased.

In regards to the grip: I have been running in some extremely muddy, steep fields. I feel that the grip could be more, as my feet do slide a bit, but never to the extent I can't balance -- I just need to work harder. However, on rocks, roots and dry-ish grass these shoes are great. I find for running on tarmac I enjoy wearing my Merrell Vapor Gloves much better as these have a bit much grip for standard road running.

Washing: These shoes seem to repel dirt, which is great. I run in mud covering my shoes, then run these under the tap when I get home and the mud just comes off with ease. Plus they dry pretty fast.

The zero drop: finally, I love these bare feel trainers. I have built up the muscles in my ankles and arches significantly having run in them for over a year now. I would worry about heel strikers running in these though. I run on the mid to balls of my feet, and having no drop and increased flexibility means I can really increase my pace and be light on my feet. If you're a heel striker, I don't know how the impact might translate in your running style. But, yes, I would definitely recommend for people who like to, or wish to, run on their mid-front foot. These are definitely a nice in between stage from standard to barefoot trainers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Merrel Footglove, 8 Jun. 2014
Great fit, very lightweight so ideal for the gym bag. I wore my last pair to death so I knew I would be happy with these.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sooo Comfy!, 2 Jun. 2014
I bought these for my husband as we didn't have time to get to the shops to find some before he went on holiday. He tried them on and his face said it all 'they are REALLY comfy!' Think we might be ordering another pair whilst we can.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superlight shoes with good fit and great grip, 5 Feb. 2014
I was a bit hesitant about buying such thin shoes but once you've broken yourself in to wearing them they really are extremely comfortable and so light that you forget you're wearing them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great proprioception and very light, 1 Sept. 2014
I've run in these shoes five times now and have worn them to TRX and HIIT classes. They appear well made, they're very light and fit well. I have yet to find out if the soles are robust enough for trail running but so far I am impressed with these shoes as they give good proprioception while maintaining protection of the foot. I usually run in vibram 5 fingers but am enjoying running in these as much as my usual shoes. I think these are about to be my first choice in running shoes as long as they can give enough traction in wet weather during off road runs! The fit is true to size but if at all unsure then go up a size as they definitely aren't generous! I have large narrow feet and these fit well around the foot and the toe box so are perfect for lady runners with larger feet!