Published 17 months ago by L. Hubbard

Published 5 months ago by Mr. M. R. Naylor

4.0 out of 5 stars Zimmer's trademark is all over Man Of Steel - an enjoyable romp but doesn't deviate massively from what you would expect, 17 Jun 2013
L. Hubbard (Cardiff) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Hans Zimmer has been handed the baton for the new Man of Steel film, following on from the mighty John Williams and John Ottman's rather excellent score for the failed 2006 reboot Superman Returns. Let's get this out the way at the start - if you are a fan of the music Williams wrote for the original films, stay well away from this release. This soundtrack is firmly in the camp of 21st Century music, and the more modern sound will not be to everyone's taste.

I won't go into every track on the albums (see lower down for the different versions). The softer piano theme for Clark Kent is extremely effective, and I would say stronger than some of the more action based material. The highlights are the brilliant "This Is Clark Kent" (Track 14) and "Sent Here For A Reason". DNA (Track 4) is brilliant and features some of Zimmer's choppy string ostinatos in full force. The General Zod theme in "I Will Find Him" is also impressive with some great writing for strings, brass and percussion. There are some absolute corkers on here. "Goodbye My Son" features a wonderful ethereal soloist and some nice writing for strings. It doesn't win any awards for complexity but it sounds fantastic. The best track has to be the epic "What Are You Going To Do When You Are Not Saving The World", which starts off with a rendition of the Clark Kent theme before building into the Man of Steel theme. I don't think anyone could not like this track!

The other question is whether to go for the 1CD Man Of Steel (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) version (run time is just short of 88 minutes) or the 2CD Man of Steel version which is just short of 2 hours. I personally always prefer to go for the version with more music - "General Zod" (CD2 Track 4) and "Arcade" (Track 8) are great, but they are variations on the themes you will have heard if you get the 1CD version. Whether you are interested in the lengthy (28 minute) minute sketchbook track and others will be personal preference.

The "Hans' Original Sketchbook" is an interesting concept on the second CD. It is basically synth mock ups of some of the main themes heard on the album. Some of which sound very similar to the final versions I might add. It does beg the question, and many have asked before, why Zimmer uses a real orchestra at all if the final version sounds slightly synthy. Regardless, I think this track is present to show the fans he does actually compose the themes for the films he is attached to. He has a lot of additional composers that work with him at his studio Remote Control, and Man of Steel has 5 other composers providing "additional music". Again some people have suggested how much he personally contributes to projects where his name is attached, but I think this sketchbook track shows he is the driving force, although other composers may rearrange his themes and contribute more than people might imagine.

So why 4*s rather than 5? As much as I liked the CD, I didn't think that Zimmer broke much in the way of new ground here. Granted, he is very competent at what he does, and whilst the themes were good, I didn't connect with it in a way that I have done with some of his previous work. Obviously this will be down to personal opinion though.

Overall, for fans of the music to the original films by JW this album will induce a strong allergic reaction that could only be cured by re-listening to the originals. In my opinion, this is not Zimmer's best work, but there is plenty to enjoy on the album. The main theme for Clark Kent is effective and although somewhat generic, the more action based man of steel theme certainly gets the blood pumping. All the themes are present on the 1CD version. The 2CD version does offer more music, a pretty decent booklet about the score and the chance to download a surround sound version of the score (which I have yet to do). I'm sure the neighbours will enjoy it when I do though! The choice of whether these additional perks are worth the slight increase in price will be your own. A solid 4* album from me, but despite the decent material and lengthy running time, Zimmer stayed in his comfort zone just a little too much to justify that final star.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Score! Packaging not what I expected, 21 Jun 2013
I was trying to decided if I should get the standard or the limited Deluxe Edition. In the end i decided to get this version and was pretty excited as I loved the music in the film and was particularly looking forward to the Man of Steel sketchbook on the bonus disc which is well worth the purchase

My Only issue with this (It would have been 5 stars as a product otherwise) When I read 'steel book' packaging I expect to get a steel book case like you do with other collectors/deluxe editions. Instead the CD case is made from glossy card made to look like steel.
To be honest as Limited Duluxe/collectors editions go, there isn't anything overly amazing in this package - 2 post cards, a very standard booklet and a digital download ticket.

That aside the music itself is easily 5 stars, Hans Zimmer has done an amazing job of capturing the emotion, power and excitement you would expect for a Superman Movie and made it modern and current.

If you are buying it for the music then you wont have any issues and will love it! Just don't buy it expecting anything special with the other extras.

5.0 out of 5 stars Man of Steel - Original Soundtrack, 5 Nov 2014
"Man of Steel" looks to be very different from any previous Superman films, and so it requires a different style of music.

If anyone is right for the project, it's composer Hans Zimmer. Zimmer has been involved with some of my favorite movies in recent years - The Dark Knight, Inception, Pirates of the Caribbean, and Gladiator. With the Dark Knight Trilogy, he successfully created a new tone that was different from any previous Batman music. It appears he has done the same for the Man of Steel. Everybody loves John Williams' theme for the original Superman films - to try and replicate it would be a mistake. So Zimmer does the only sensible thing, and goes in a completely different direction with his score.

Every track on this album has something unique to offer; there is great variety, and that makes for a pleasant listening experience. There is plenty of the intense epic music that Zimmer is known for (those who have accused him of being too bombastic in the past will no doubt have the same complaint here). But there's also plenty of emotion too - some of my favorite cues are the softer ones.

As a bonus, you get a 28-minute track called "Hans' Original Sketchbook", which features some of Zimmer's key musical concepts, plus some early ideas and a bit of music unused in the film (although much of it sounds like pieces from other tracks on the album).

Also, for those wondering where the music used in the film's trailer can be found, it's the track titled "What Are You Going to Do When You Are Not Saving the World?" - Track #17 (or Track #1 of Disc 2 for the limited edition CD).

The superhero genre is full of great music, and the "Man of Steel" soundtrack is right up there with the best of them. I highly recommend this album!

FAVORITE TRACKS
[5] Goodbye My Son
[6] If You Love These People
[16] Flight
[17] What Are You Going to Do When You Are Not Saving the World?

* The Deluxe Edition of the soundtrack, available in physical CD format or in MP3 format, contains an additional 6 tracks (approx. 30 minutes in length) not included on the regular release.

** Also included with purchase of the CD is an insert with a unique code to download the Man of Steel Soundtrack in the Z Plus App. This is the first soundtrack album to use the new DTS technology called Headphone:X - which simulates an 11.1 channel surround mix on a normal pair of headphones. The Z Plus app works with iOS devices (such as iPad, iPhone, etc) and the 11.1 mix can be emulated using any pair of stereo headphones.

*** With Amazon's AUTORIP service, if you order the CD then you automatically get the Amazon MP3 version added to your account for free (so you can listen to it immediately while you wait for the CD to arrive in the mail.)

3.0 out of 5 stars Man Of Steel: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack (Limited Deluxe Edition), 24 Jun 2014
Mr. M. R. Naylor (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Was disappointed with the lack of a dynamic main theme, and the whole soundtrack sounds dull and flat. I'm a life long fan of Superman and this score had a lot to live upto when comparing it to the John Williams masterpieces. It didn't deliver, all the tracks sound the same, and seem far too long, I think that given the right soundtrack even the movie might have been slightly better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hits the spot every time!, 23 Jan 2014
I'd go so far as to say this is my absolute favourite soundtrack to date!

Hans Zimmer is quite literally a musical genius in my eyes and pushes the scope for scoring and sound recording. Just watch the youtube 5-part series on behind the scenes of this film, he'll try all manner of stuff so far from the norm that it's absolutely inspiring and refreshing to see and hear. Whether he's using 10 of the best drummers in the world to drum synchronously to make a thunderous rhythm section, to using the craziest of contraptions (rather than just relying on synths) that create the most organic and epic sounds you'd never be able to recreate. This soundtrack hits the mark for me, conveying emotion and power in the bucket loads. The soundtrack alone has made me watch this film far too many times that I dread to say.

Hans is always pushing boundaries, he takes the beauty of orchestral instruments but manages to fuse them with all manner of massive, gorgeous, eerie and spectacular sounds. Don't deny yourself the pleasure of this CD or the movie, I even use the soundtrack to push me when working out, it really does excite me a little too much!

LOVE IT!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars strength in repetition, 3 July 2013
What is a soundtrack?

The best soundtracks have been called both evocative of the film or project they represent whilst maintaining sufficient individuality to be considered a piece of music in their own right. Before I go on, let me say I haven't seen Man of Steel at the movies yet. I collect soundtracks, I play them whilst writing to increase my emotions and those of the words, and I listen to them in the car for story inspiration and see where my imagination takes me as the music carries me along.

Therefore, I am not going to describe the track listing, what is strong, what isn't, and relate them to the film or the spiritual journey of the lead character.

Been a fan of Hans and his "stable" of composers for years so on first listen via youtube I downloaded this (always a sucker for deluxe edition extended versions) and given it several listens so far.

So is it any good?

For the most part the music is good, but the strength is it's greatest problem and the reason why I only gave this 3 stars.

It's repetitive. There are maybe three or four main themes repeated often in the entire score with minimal variation. Several of the tracks blatantly go down the line of...

Take a theme.
Repeat.
Add more instruments repeating the same theme.
Add drums, and continue to repeat.
Get louder and continue to repeat.
Get even louder still. Have your ears had enough? Well here it comes in the crescendo, even louder again!

So, in a nutshell, it's hardly Hans' most original or challenging soundtrack and a lot of what he does here sounds like variations on a theme. Worst point? One track is almost entirely played by what sounds like an urban drum band and it's a deafening rattle of monotonous percussion.

At it's height? I actually like the main themes, so whilst it was repetitive, it was enjoyable.although that does not necessarily make a good soundtrack. As such, it's great for writing to because you can get into a certain emotional mindset and let the music do it's job.

My advice if you're thinking of buying it? If you already heard the music in the film or on youtube and want more of the same, then you won't be disappointed. If you're looking for more complexity, it could be worth checking it out first on youtube to see if you like it.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW He did it!!, 17 Jun 2013
When I went to see Man of Steel one of the things I wondered was how on earth would the soundtrack stack up against the superb John Williams soundtrack?
Well as I began to watch the film I realised it had been done. The soundtrack is excellent, it captures every mood and all the action and there is a fitting theme for the Man Of Steel.
So I as sat in my chair memorised by the music as the credits rolled I saw the name Hans Zimmer and I thought, but of course.
Well done Mr Zimmer!! You took on something a lot of composers would have run away from and you nailed it.
The sound track is excellent, this first thing I did when I got home is to log onto Amazon and buy it. Excellent!

5.0 out of 5 stars An epic feast for the senses!, 11 July 2014
Mr. V. Uwaifo "Electric Dream" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
My review of this album can be summed up in 13 words: What Are You Going to Do When You Are Not Saving the World?

All I'll add is that this is one of greatest movie soundtracks I've ever heard, and it's right up there with the best from John Williams, Errio Morricone and Basil Poledouris.

A truly epic feast for the senses and listening to it makes you believe a man can fly.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'd like to add my voice in chorus of praise and ..., 8 July 2014
Fabian Faun (London, England) - See all my reviews
Hans Zimmer...what do you say about a man who really understands music, and it's importance to giving extra life to a movie? In his case....,supremo!! As with others who have reviewed this masterclass in original music scores for film, I'd like to add my voice in chorus of praise and applause and say that in Man Of Steel, Hans Zimmer will not disappoint. There are many pieces on this album that will move and inspire you (Flight is particularly inspiring). If you like good, solid music...you will find that Man Of Steel will have pride of place amongst the music you love and enjoy. You, in listening to it, may even believe you can fly!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 7 July 2014