4.0 out of 5 stars Effortless cleaning
Published 8 months ago by Misha The Penguin

3.0 out of 5 stars Generally good but a couple of issues
I'm a big fan of steam cleaners. Let's face it, cleaning your hard floors and carpets without the use of chemical products makes firm ecological (and economical) sense these days.

Published 9 months ago by Cartimand

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Generally good but a couple of issues, 24 Nov 2013
Cartimand (Hampshire, UK.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Russell Hobbs 20570 Steam Mop - 1500 Watt - White (Kitchen & Home)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

This Russell Hobbs model has some nice design features (and one or two not quite as nice, which we'll come to later) and does everything you'd expect. Add the water, plug in that conveniently long 6 metre cord, wait around 30 seconds till the light turns green and you're ready to steam. The two cloths provided have a robust draw-string, which holds them in place more securely than elasticated ones. A triangle attachment is provided too for gliding over carpet. I also like the way the foot can lock into place to stand the unit upright.

OK, onto my quibbles. First assembly; despite me being a big beefy bloke, fitting the head to the body required me to apply significant leverage before I could get the screw holes to align. And I mean significant to the extent that I was worried I would break the head unit if I pressed much harder. Perseverance and a slight twisting action got it sorted in the end. Next, adding the water involves removing the reservoir, filling it, replacing the screw top, then inverting it before replacing on the mop. I found that no matter how securely I tightened the screw top (and you're warned not to over-tighten), some water dribbles out onto your floor. No big deal, but slightly irritating, when our previous steam mop could be topped up with the reservoir in situ.

With regard to our previous steam mop, that stopped working after just over a year (funny how appliances seem to know when the guarantee's over!). Registering this unit with the manufacturer gets you an impressive three year guarantee. If it lasts that long (* oh dear - was I tempting fate? See below), I'll certainly update my review and award the full 5 stars!

PS. I note the other reviewers had no difficulty with the assembly, so perhaps it was just my one that was a particularly tight fit!

**** Update ****
Well, sadly, after three weeks use, my steam mop has stopped working. Squeezing the trigger merely produces a buzzing noise, but not a wisp of steam. Time to put the guarantee to the test. Will keep you posted and one star removed from rating, pending a result.

**** Update ****
An automated message on the Russell Hobbs customer support line kept me on hold for an unacceptably long time and, after losing patience with being told how much they valued my call for the umpteenth time, I hung up and tried emailing them. Am awaiting a response.

**** Update ****

Finally got a reply telling me to return it to the retailer. As this was an Amazon Vine transaction (which I had explained in my email), this is useless advice. Off to the council tip with this dead steam mop and another star deducted from the rating. OK while it lasted, but three weeks' use from an electrical product is clearly unsatisfactory and I have not been very impressed by the Russell Hobbs service line or email response times. I cannot therefore recommend this item.

**** Update ****

Russell Hobbs have now been in touch and agreed to send me a replacement - watch this space!

Replacement is working perfectly - for now! Rating bumped up to 3 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Effortless cleaning, 3 Dec 2013
Misha The Penguin (Newcastle upon Tyne) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Russell Hobbs 20570 steam mop was very easy to assemble. The handle slotted into place and with a quick turn of the screw it was ready to use. The water flask is really easy to slide off and to fill. The cleaning cloth has a drawstring and it too was easy to fit. The instructions are accurate as it heats up extremely quickly and soon I had the green light and was ready for action.

I first tried the mop on a linoleum floor covering and quarry tiles, it glided effortlessly and took a lot less time than using a traditional mop and bucket. The mop can be fixed in position or left to rotate more freely. As it's triangular in shape you can get right into the corners of a room. As you clean the mop cools down and the light turns red, at which point you release the switch and it heats up again in seconds.The floor was clean but I wasn't wowed as there were a few marks that needed some bleach/ other cleaning products to remove. However, when I was finished I noticed that the drawstring cloth was very dirty so cleaning had taken place! I replaced it with the spare cloth ready to steam clean a carpet. For this, the mop is placed onto a plastic glider to help it slide more easily across carpet. Again the mop was very easy to manoeuvre and I had soon cleaned the whole room. The drawstring cloth was again very dirty but I did notice a couple of small marks on the carpet that hadn't been removed. The amount of steam generated during use is minimal so the rooms didn't feel damp after I had finished using the mop which is an additional plus point.

Overall, I think that the steam mop is ideal for freshening up carpets and other surfaces but it did not give the deeper clean that I had hoped for, that's why I am awarding it four rather than five points. Having said that, as I have never used a steam mop before perhaps my expectations were a little too high as I have nothing to compare it with.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!!! What a Wonderful Mop, 25 Nov 2013
HJK (Gomersal UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I cannot believe how good this steam mop is!

My daughter has wanted to buy one for ages and I thought they were a silly gimmick... HOW WRONG I WAS.

I had been worried that there would be lots of excess steam produced but this is not the case.

This was so easy to put together and to set up and use. There are 2 mop cloths provided 1 to use and 1 to wash (Note they are to be washed at 40 degrees C and NO FABRIC SOFTENER.

I used it on - Quarry tiles in my kitchen - these were cleaned very quickly and moreover the floor was dry very quickly - minutes later - (when using my normal mop it is over half an hour before it is dry). I will be able to clean this floor more often now - I have always put this off because of the drying time & the mop drying as well - so I will have a much cleaner kitchen floor most of the time.

I used it on - Vinyl floor in the bathroom - this is quite a large surface - a large bathroom with lots of corners - (so much easier than filling the bucket at the bath taps) and once again dry very quickly. After cleaning with the steam mop the floor felt good - (there was always a slight sticky film with the mop & floor cleaner). The swivel part of the mop head was good in this awkward shaped room.

I used it on - a pale rug - the carpet glide is to easy to put on - NO CLIPS or fiddly bits when using the machine. It certainly freshened up the rug - it does need to be vacuumed afterwards - clumps of hairs etc are brought together on the surface I removed them by hand by hand this time - or maybe I should have vacummed it first. Once again dry very quickly (in the past when using steam cleaners with cleaning products on carpets I found the carpet was WET for ages).

I am really impressed with this mop - worth ALL THE 5 STARS.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 23 Nov 2013
L. E. Cooper "Lindsey" (UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This mop is amazing, it's quick and easy to assemble it has two cleaning cloths one to use and one to wash and is very neat and easy to store. It cleans brilliantly leaving my floor looking like new! Fill it up with water wait for the green light to come on and you are away! Fantastic!

4.0 out of 5 stars Russell Hobbs Steam Mop, 28 Nov 2013
M. J. Hunter - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
On unpacking this item from its box I was struck by what a well made product it seemed to be and subsequent use hasn't altered my opinion. Assembly is very straightforward and involves removing a single screw from the body of the unit and replacing it to secure the foot. Attaching the handle is achieved by pressing a spring loaded button and push fitting the column on. The mop pad itself is easily fitted by pulling it over the base and tightening the retaining cord. The clear blue water tank lifts up and away, unscrew the filling cap and charge with tap water using the provided measuring beaker. Replace the water tank and plug the steamer in, it comes with a decent length of mains cable to work with. An amber light on the front glows to indicate power and when sufficient steam has been generated a green light illuminates. To clean wooden or tiled floors the mop is used 'as is' i.e. directly onto the flooring surface and a trigger switch at the rear of the handle opens the steam valve. The green light seemed to go out quite quickly and I waited for it to come back on until I realised that there is still sufficient steam in the unit to carry on cleaning while the mop tops itself up. The steamer body fits into the base by means of a ball and socket joint which allows the triangular base to get right up to the edge of cupboards etc. Very useful. To clean carpets the pad is placed onto the plastic triangular carpet guide. On other steam mops I have used this carpet guide normally clips over the pad but in this case lifting the mop lifts it out of the guide and I found on a longer pile carpet it was something of an effort to keep the mop on the guide. One star off for this but overall very happy with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 16 Jan 2014
H. Eaton "Helena Eaton" (UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
After a month if using it, I would not be without this mop. It's easy to use, mess free and can be used on virtually any floor surface. Traditional mops always make me feel like you're not quite expunging all germs. With the steam mop, you know you are - the steam cuts through dirt, grease & grime leaving tiles gleaming & wood floors spotless. I've even given my carpets a steam and it was great!
Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Whiff of steam and clean, 25 Dec 2013
pepemia (scotland) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm a big fan of steam cleaners after I seen how amazingly they can clean your home with little effort. It also is cheaper and heathier than buyin loads of cleaning products for your floor- pure old water and steam work far better.
You just fill up a bit of water, let it warm up and push the thing around a bit and your floors look like you been on your hands and knees for a week.
They all tend to do much the same thing but the Russell Hobbs is good because of the angled head- it really does make a difference to getting in corners and under skirting's. I have found that my other steam mop just pushes the dirt in because the head is too big.
The other good point it is has a longer lead- as I hate stopping and starting. I feel it heats up well and there have been no awkward spills like you get in the cheaper models.

The covers for the cleaning head are ok- I find in al steam mops they can be prone to slipping off and I think this is more likely for cleaning carpets.
I used mine on just vinyl and laminate. No problems with either and cleaned very well .With regards to the carpet cleaning I find the hairs and fibres get attracted to the microfiber cleaning head and would probably ruin them quickly. Although there are two provided I do feel these wear down quickly.
If you are purchasing this I would be doing so for cleaning tiles, vinyl and hardwood/laminate flooring.

I definitely recommend getting a steam mop to everyone- it is one of the best purchases you can make. This is a good model- had benefits of being reliable, and getting into hard places. I would say that the price's declines quickly in steam mops as so many are introduced ( I paid 70 for my last one and it is now reduced to 30 ) so if you are thinking of purchasing this- just keep an eye out for special offers and you will get a great bargain .

3.0 out of 5 stars Take the positive with the negative, 12 Dec 2013
A. J. Parkes "sekrapa" (Dudley, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My very first steam mop, so I have no comparison to make with other manufacturers. Assembly is straightforward, albeit needing some pressure asserted to locate the holes to put the screw in to hold the head. The handle just pushes down and click locks in place. You are supplied with 2 cleaning cloths that go over the head and the drawstring pulled tight to secure it, and also a guide to place the head in if you want to steam carpets. The water reservoir pulls up and the cap unscrewed off to allow you to fill with water, screw the cap back on and invert it to push back into place - this resulted in a small about of water coming out, but nothing to worry about.

Heating up time is quick, only about 30 seconds, when ready is indicated by a light change in colour. Then to operate, just pull the trigger on the handle to release steam, and mop away. Having only a small kitchen which is tiled floor, and a large hallway and lounge that is laminate, thought this was going to solve all the tedious cleaning and mopping times.

However, I found that the water that was left behind was far more than when doing it manually by ringing a cloth and getting on your hands and knees. In fact, cannot use it on the laminate because if the water got down, would cause damage. In the end, I had to use a towel to mop up excess water on the floor. I was not expecting this. Perhaps I was doing something wrong like using steam continuously, will tray it again and just using small bursts, but by doing that, you are only steaming small percentages of the floor.

This is regrettable, as the machine looks good, is light, easy filled and easy manoeuvrable with the swivel head. But, for me, this made more work than it saved. As everyone else seems to be giving it glowing reviews, obviously I am doing something wrong, as although the floor end up clean, it has a load of water on it that needs drying with a clean towel.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 24 May 2014
Love this on my kitchen floor, now feel much happier when my daughters are playing. Heats up in approx. 30 seconds, doesn't leave the floor too wet and is light and easy to use. Only stopped short of 5 stars as I'm a bit disappointed with it on the carpets.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 4 Mar 2014
I use this product so much, I don't know how I ever lived without it! I cleans great, is so easy to fill and maintain. Just throw cloths in wash after use. It picks up a lot of dirt and disinfects my laminate floors. I can rest easy having my baby crawl around the floor, knowing it's clean! Also used it to get nail polish off my floor, and steam my mattresses! The thing is a miracle

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›