5.0 out of 5 stars Before it all began...
If anyone has read the masterpiece that is The Sword Of Shannara, then this is quite simply a must-read.
I will not go into it in any detail -- it's a quick read and it's only 65p -- but in reading it, I was transported back to when I was 11 years old (I'm 36 now) and devouring the first few pages of Sword.
It put a smile on my face, and although it didn't...
Published on 9 July 2012 by Stuart Finnie

3.0 out of 5 stars A good hook into the Shannara story
Published on 25 Dec. 2012 by S. Cleeve

5.0 out of 5 stars Before it all began..., 9 July 2012
Stuart Finnie (Glasgow) - See all my reviews
It put a smile on my face, and although it didn't answer any questions or shed light on any great mysteries, it was a fantastic read and one I can't recommend enough.
If you have a Kindle-thingy, buy it. If you don't, download the "read it on your PC/MAC" tool... then buy it.
Seriously, one of the best things I've ever bought for under a quid.
Cheers for the memories, Terry.
Stu.

5.0 out of 5 stars Paladin's of Shannara, 12 Oct. 2012
Just read the amazing short story Paladin's of Shanara, Allanon's Quest, It was like meeting an old friend, it's been so long since I read about Allanon, its an easy read I read it in no time a real can't put it done book.
Paladin's of shannara, take you back to one of Terry Brooks great characters, for fans its a book to cherish, for those who have never read Terry Brooks, its a great introduction to the world of Shannara.
I would recommend this to anyone looking for a good readPaladins of Shannara: Allanon's Quest (Short Story)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Reminder, 31 July 2012
A sword of shannara was one of the earliest Fantasy books I read. This story serves as a prologue to the book and it was a nice reminder to go back into this world. I paid around 70p for this which I thought was well worth it. This is not a story to buy if you have never read a Shannara book but it should be a welcome addition for anyone who has.

5.0 out of 5 stars A worthy addition, 11 July 2012
Andy Angel (Sheffield, England) - See all my reviews
How did Terry Brooks manage to fit this much story into so few pages?
This book covers the story of Allanon the Druid's quest to find someone of the Shannara bloodline and is set in the time just before and leading up to Mr. Brook's first novel Sword of Shannara.
In and of itself the story is well told and an enjoyable short read but as a prelude to the original story it is oh so much more.
Worth every penny

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read For Shannara Fans!, 15 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Paladins of Shannara: Allanon's Quest (short story) (Kindle Edition)
My Thoughts On The Book:

This is going to be just a mini review as it's hardly right to put out a full size review of a book that's only 40 pages long, not that this book is anything less than great as for a book so small it packs a punch for fans of Shannara. This short novella tells of events directly before Allanon's appearance in Shady Vale looking for Shea Ohmsford in The Sword Of Shannara.

Allanon is the last of the Druids and is desperately searching for the last heir of Shannara, the one person in the world who can defeat the darkness using the famed Sword Of Shannara, this heir is the only one able to wield it but at every step the enemy is getting to the heirs first and slaughtering them before Allanon can get to them, to protect them. Time is running short and there is no knowing how many heirs are left, if any at all, so Allanon is chasing every lead no matter how slim it is but there is one last twist of fate in store for the druid, one that he could never have hoped for.

This is a short, but poignant novella, full of deceit and betrayal which nearly steals the remains of Allanon unusually long life. The tale gives us a sneaky little insight into events leading to The Sword Of Shannara and into the enigmatic druid himself.

It's a wonderfully crafted little story that slips perfectly into the gigantic Shannara timeline and only adds to the whole series. It's crisp and clearly formed, full of imagery despite it's limited length and as usual Brooks has written something that stays with you which is surprising for such a tiny tale. Allanon had always been a mesmerizing character and this tiny tale only adds to the mystery surrounding this strange and powerful man.

Final Thoughts:

This is a fantastic addition to the Shannara series, it's fits well into it's surroundings and despite it's being a novella it actually does add something to the whole Shannara sequences, gives us glimpses into the events leading to The Sword Of Shannara and gives that books extra meaning now we know how Allanon got to that point in time. So if you are a fan of the epic Shannara books then this is most surely a must read book for die hard fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good short story, 7 Feb. 2014
Very nice to see more about Allanon, it's also a good way to set the story for Sword of Shannara. Would recommend

5.0 out of 5 stars Terry Brooks the best, 21 Dec. 2013
Look up all of the Shannara stories and read your way through them from the beginning. I am waiting for them to go into films now. THat is what should happen.

3.0 out of 5 stars A good hook into the Shannara story, 25 Dec. 2012
S. Cleeve "Sunnyside Chick" (Cornwall, UK) - See all my reviews
If you haven't read any of the Shannara story yet, or any of Terry Brooks other novels, this will give you a taste of the style, twists and turns that you will find within those pages. If, like me, Shannara is so familiar that you can recite passages almost word for word, then you may find this short story a little frustrating. However, it will make me search out other Terry Brooks works to help feed my appetite for more. Some consider Tolkien the master of the genre but in my eyes he has been surpassed and there is a new master in town.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value and immediately engaging., 23 Feb. 2013
I have been a avid fan of Terry Brooks' Shannara series since "The Sword of..." was released back in the seventies and I have continued my interest with his nearly created novellas for the Kindle. As other reviewers have stated, these are excellent introductions to the series as a whole. My only criticism is that they leave me wanting more in themselves. Having said this, I look forward to other offerings in the "Paladins of Shannara" series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Prequel to sword of shanara, 5 Jan. 2014
This is worth reading as it explains how and why Shea was found in the events leading up to the sword of shanara.