on 17 September 2013
You really can't go wrong with this strong double CD offering from the one and only Marty Robbins. Coming from the mid 60's when he was in the middle of what would be a 15 year purple patch, Marty illustrates what a tremendously talented and versatile vocalist he was. The first album is not country, but sees Marty dispensing great standards like 'As Time Goes By', 'That Old Feeling','Love Is Blue', 'You Made Me Love You' along side two of his own great ballads 'Virginia'and 'To Be In Love With Her' plus Glen Campbell's/Jimmy Webb's 'By The Time I Get To Phoenix'. 'Am I That Easy To Forget' and a really classy version of Paul McCartney's 'Yesterday' which is as good as any version you're likely to hear.
The other album sees Marty riding south of the border with a Mexican influence and another host of fine ballads including 'Tonight Carmen', 'The Girl With Gardenias In Her Hair', 'Don't Go Away Senor', 'Waiting In Reno', 'Love's Gone Away' and 'Is There Anything Left I Can Say.'
If you're looking for a country sound on this CD, you won't find it, but what you will find is the greatest ever country balladeer showing what a truly great singer he was and also where the songs are written by him what a gifted songwriter he was too.
on 5 August 2013
2 contrasting albums, `By The Time I Get To Phoenix` (1968) and `Tonight Carmen` (1967).

The first is a collection of ballads with full orchestral accompaniment. `Tonight Carmen` is Spanish/Mexican inspired with a touch of Tijuana. The title track was a hit in the pop and country charts.

Yes, 22 tracks sung effortlessly and with the required amount of sensitivity, as you would expect, from the legend that was Marty Robbins.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 July 2013
I love marty robbins, my dad got me into country music when I was a child and now I still play it
on 25 August 2015