5.0 out of 5 stars Star Trek Next Gen Complete Collection
This is mainly a review of the boxset, rather than the show itself, which is undoubtedly excellent (5 stars!).

The Amazon listing is extremely low on product detail. So, here's some info you'll be hard pressed to find else where.

Published on 17 July 2011 by R Hartle

› See more 5 star, 4 star reviews
1.0 out of 5 stars Faulty dvds
I love this series, but there is something wrong with this box set, which might be the same for all the sets.
I ordered mine at the end of November 2011, didn't get through the whole set for a while, especially as I was away for half a year.
Just this month I realised that some of the episodes in the final series would freeze near to the end of the episode...
Published 22 months ago by Jocy

› See more 3 star, 2 star, 1 star reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Star Trek Next Gen Complete Collection, 17 July 2011
R Hartle - See all my reviews

The boxset itself is made by CBS Dvd, who also made the latest Frasier and Sex in the City boxsets. Like these other sets, this set is very compact, with a hard card outer 'shoe box' box and inner folded card sleeves, where the the discs slot in. The dimensions of this set are c.110 x 195 x 140mm, and is probably best sat on it's end on the shelf. It takes up about the same space as 2 1/2 of the previous season boxsets.

The boxset appears to contain the same special features as the previous individual season releases. However, there is a 'bonus disc' which contains the following documentaries and features:

The Next Gen's Impact: 20 Years Later
Inside Starfleet Academy Archives: Sets and Props
Special Profiles
Dressing the Future

5.0 out of 5 stars wow, 28 July 2011
Looking at the image of the box-set on this site i was expecting a box around the size of the Star Trek: Films 1-10 Remastered Special Edition Box Set [DVD]. I was surprised then when I received a small amazon box and pleasently surprised to see that the product was quite a bit smaller, brilliant packaging of the DVD's avoids needing a large area to store it. The product is no bigger than The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (Extended Edition Box Set) [DVD], surprising seeing as it's seven seasons worth of DVD's compared to just three movies.

As for the DVDs they are held in a cardboard sleeves (takes less space) and each disc has its own pocket (avoiding the annoyance with some series cases where you have to take out a load of other discs to get the one you want.)

I would definitely look at buying the rest of the complete collections.

The one problem with it is that I will not be able to sleep for five or so days watching them all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classicaly Awesome, 12 Jan. 2012
Kazgirl (Brisbane, Queensland, Australia) - See all my reviews
Firstly, this isn't a review of the show itself. If you are not familar with the Star Trek franchise, clearly you having been living under a rock with your fingers in your ears for the last forty odd years.

This box set sits compactly on the shelf & I would suggest purchasing the entire set of franchise to confirm & celabrate your inner geek (come on! who doesn't like to be nerdy?). Each season comes in a sturdy foldout cardboard wallet that should (unless you decide to throw them out the window) hold up well to repeated veiwings.

There is, as has been mentioned before, a "bonus" disk full of interesting little tidbits. My only little complaint is there is no "select all" option on the menu screen.

All in all however, if you are considering buying this set my advice would be to "make it so"!

1.0 out of 5 stars Faulty dvds, 19 Jun. 2013
For some reason it worked fine on my old PS2 but it didn't work on my new portable DVD player, which never has any problems with other dvds.
I was given a new box set recently, but the same thing happened with my new one.
I praise Amazon for great customer service, I wasn't expecting anything from them as it was ordered in 2011. I was given a new box set and asked for the old set to be returned (which is free), then as that didn't work, I have returned the box set and they will give me a refund.

5.0 out of 5 stars worth the price and better than the 20th anniversary version, 20 July 2011
nice compact well packaged disk set, same extras and layout as 20th anniversary version (discs not decorated like in that set, more basic is this set but easier to read and use) but better quality, packaging (display box) less likely to get damaged and easier to use. paramout could do with digitally remastering this series but still great.

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality discs?, 9 May 2012
Ryan (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Ignoring the quality of the series itself (it's Star Trek with all the quirks it entails) I was very happy with the box set. It's compact and complete, perfect for my limited space requirements.

However one disc in the first season would not play properly. I skipped the episode that was faulty and carried on watching anyway. Then in season 5 I have found another disc that skips. The disc itself looks perfect, no scratches or smudges, but the final 10 minutes of one episode just refuses to play in any DVD player. As such I have returned it and had the set replaced.

It's not a HUGE issue. Out of 50 odd DVDs I have had two discs that skip 60 minutes of content, however being 50 discs if there are any issues you won't notice the errors until weeks, months or even years after you have bought the set when you finally reach a faulty episode at which point it will probably be too late to get fixed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 13 Mar. 2012
This boxset has to be the most compact and sleek i have ever seen, it contains every episode of star trek the next generation in a box that can be held in your hand. Very nice designs inside and outside.

The box opens up by removing the lid, this reveals 7 different cardboard cases for the disks, the cardboard unfolds allowing access to the disks, unfortunately they are in cardboard slots that scratch the disks causing the odd 2 second skip on some of them, each time you remove them from the cardboard they get scratched again and again that is the reason i have rated only 4 stars.

I must admit, the cardboard slots are a pretty big design floor but any noticable damage to the disk only happens when you are not gentle so if you remove them slowly, playback shouldnt be effected.

Overall i would say that this boxset is a must buy for any star trek fan, however if you dont care about it being compact or sleek then you can buy the slim line individual boxsets which have the disks in normal dvd slots and would result in no damage to the disks. These boxes are sold on amazon for £10 each so you can buy all of the seasons on the slim line cases for around the same price as this set but are not as compact or as nice looking.

To summarize

The quality of the dvds are surprisingly good considering how old the series is.
The storys are original and exciting however the first series is quite dull the later episodes are excellent.
The box is very nice looking and compact however the cardboard slots damage the disks.
I would reccomend this set to any sci-fi fan as for £75 its a bargain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Star Trek The (best?) Next Generation, 11 Oct. 2013
Aremess "AremessUK" (Littlehampton, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
I hadn't watched these (Star Trek: The Next Generation - The Full Journey [DVD]) since they were first broadcast on national TV.

Now, every trekkie fan has their own personal favourite series and, until now, mine has always been 'Enterprise' (other than the thorough enjoyment of the original Star Trek). However, now I'm not so sure. Originally, I didn't like the 'Q' element but, watching it all again (and not having to wait a week for the next episode), my mind is gradually being changed.

Everyone seems to accept that the Star Trek franchise changed the way we looked at TV sci-fi. The storylines were always quite engrossing and, although sometimes a little too "American flagwaving" for the UK market, were always well developed and well acted. And it's on the latter where the viewer gets drawn in to the stories.

I still don't know whether ST-TNG is to be my all time favourite, all I do know is that I am loving watching the episodes all over again.

Well deserving my 5 star rating and thoroughly recommended. (now to start saving for my next Star Trek boxed set - perhaps get the original series???

----------------------

I note that there have been some reviewers complaining about faulty sets. This almost put me off buying but I did anyway and, lo and behold, I got one of the 'dodgy' batches. However, though the 'My Account' section at the top of the Amazon page, I notified Amazon and 36 hours later I had my replacement which works perfectly. So, although I understand that defective goods can be a nuisance, to only give a 2 or 3 star rating when the replacement service is as good as Amazon's is, to my mind, unreasonable (and I speak from many years experience with Amazon UK!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Picard and friends., 17 Feb. 2012
I must have seen 'Star Trek:The Next Generation' hundreds of times on the TV but all of it out of sequence.I corrected this by purchasing this boxed set when it was at a reduced price on Amazon. I do not regret it...as you can probably tell I am a Star Trek fan and this part of the trek does not disappoint... What can I say? if you too are a fan then buy this set.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Star Buy, 22 July 2012
Tony Laforce (Hackney, London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I was lucky enough to have bought this box set on An Amazon deal last Christmas - 2011. I have just finished watching the box set and all I can say that it has given me wonderful viewing pleasure. There have been some great episodes and so many great issues raised that I can only thank the team behind the actors for the quality of writing and production of the series. One other thing to say it is great that a series is as good as you remember it when first watching the series. I would like to recommend to all who love this series, that if possible, buy because it is just worth the money.

Tony Laforce, Hackney, London