Size: 1TB|Change
Price:£362.65+ Free shipping

on 18 July 2013
The main reason for buying an SSD is it's vast speed over a traditional magnetic disk when it comes to reading a vast amount of small files. It's also much faster when it comes to reading/writing from random locations and does not suffer from fragmentation of files.

Consider a normal western digital, magnetic, portable disk: [Source: [...]
Here are it's speeds:
Sequential Read : 115 MB/s (Example - reading a large movie from the disk)
Sequential Write : 114 MB/s (Example - writing a large movie to the disk)
Random Read 512KB : 43.5 MB/s (Example - reading a lot of small documents to the disk)
Random Write 512KB : 62.3 MB/s (Example - copying a lot of small documents to the disk)
Random Read 4KB (QD=1) : 0.574 MB/s (Example - copying many small files, working with virtual machines, development)
Random Write 4KB (QD=1) : 1.558MB/s
Random Read 4KB (QD=32) : 0.574 MB/s
Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 1.540 MB/s

You will notice that the smaller the writes get, the slower the speeds. This is because the magnetic disk has to rotate for the computer to be able to read or write to the correct location, making writing small files very slow.

SSDs however, do not have this problem - because they have no moving parts.
For example, let's consider a Samsung 830 SSD:
Random Read 4KB (QD=1) : 24.596 MB/s
Random Write 4KB (QD=1) : 69.833 MB/s
Random Read 4KB (QD=32) : 300.302 MB/s
Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 90.798 MB/s

This is why an SSD shines. With such limited space, I couldn't care less about copying very large files. I need an SSD to get good performance when when copying a VAST ammount of documents and small files, or when booting an operating system from it, or when using virtual machines.

Now, here is the benchmark for this portable SSD:
Sequential Read : 250.113 MB/s
Sequential Write : 43.128 MB/s
Random Read 512KB : 211.588 MB/s
Random Write 512KB : 35.951 MB/s
Random Read 4KB (QD=1) : 9.741 MB/s
Random Write 4KB (QD=1) : ------>>>>>> 1.039 MB/s <<<<<------
Random Read 4KB (QD=32) : 10.104 MB/s
Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 1.210 MB/s

I'm giving this product a one star because it's a plain ripoff. Writing small files is SO SLOW that it's hardly even usable. It's USB controller is so poor that it cannot handle decent read and write speeds with small files, which is what I needed it for. Complete waste of money for me, and sorely disappointed. I will update my review if there is a workaround, but I have enabled caching in windows and tweaked other settings with no luck.

Breakdown:
- 5 star: Extremely slow for small files
+ 1 star: Good form factor (small) and fast for large files

Conclusion:

You can get a normal USB 3.0 hard drive which is twice as fast as this one when writing large files (and half as fast when reading large files) with the same speeds when it comes to small files. Oh, and the magnetic drive has four times the space at a cheaper price compared to this one. It's such a disappointment that an HDD can compete with this SSD.
66 comments|68 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 October 2013
I am so disappointed by the performance of this drive, and would advise potential customers to seriously consider what they wish to use it for. I compared this USB 3.0 SSD against my old USB 2.0 external HDD, and my laptop's internal SSD (see benchmark results: [...] You will see that although the read speed is quite respectable, the write speed is about 1/3rd of what the old USB 2.0 HDD is capable of.

For this reason, the drive is only really usable as a glorified memory stick. This may be fine for most users, but power users who want a proper external SSD (for example, to run virtual machines for laptop demonstrations using NTFS for large files) should steer well clear. Remember this drive costs the best part of £300.

I went through the motions of returning this drive to integral, as they thought that it may be faulty. They said it was and sent a replacement. I found that the write speed was even worse (10.8, down from 11.5MBps)! So now I'm down the cost of a nearly useless drive plus the return postage.
on 13 February 2014
Yep. I've just tested this connected through a USB3.0 4-port hub to a 2.0TB Seagate External HDD on the same hub. Fastest transfer 141MB/sec. Average was 101MB/sec. This makes everything so much easier and faster. It's also a tiny little box, not metal, a plastic case, comes with a pretty short micro-USB3 cable to USB3 cable. About the size of a credit card and very light.
on 23 April 2014
I thought I'd got a really good deal getting a 512Gb SSD for such a good price, but it turned out not to be such a bargain. I bought this to run a Virtual Machine which I previously ran on a smaller Transcend SSD which was great, but too small. As soon as I started using my VM on the new SSD it was clear something was wrong - it ran extremely slowly, to the extent that the VM never actually fully started. Looking at the other reviews on here I saw a few suggesting that while this SSD is great for reading, it's a dog for writing. Sure enough, when I ran my own tests, the average write speed was 18Mb/s - way short of the "Write speed up to 140MB/s" listed in the spec. 18Mb/s is slower than my old SSD, and even slower than my old USB2 external HDD. Completely useless for my purposes. Returned to Amazon for a refund.
on 24 August 2013
Within the first hour of use, when making my first backup, the drive became read-only. I contacted Integral and they sent me a form to fill in order to return it. Unfortunately there was personal information on the drive (which was of course undeletable). After an exchange of emails, I was given permission to render the drive useless by drilling through it, and I am now waiting for the replacement.

2nd Jan 2014 - still waiting
on 3 August 2014
works exactly as advertised.
I also purchased a Verbatim, as it claimed much faster WRITE Speed.
Intergral is double WRITE performance, fantastic bit of kit
on 15 March 2016
This Integral 256GB USB 3.0 Portable Solid State Drive failed completely soon after purchase. A replacement was sent and this has also failed. In both cases the data was said to be irrecoverable. The response to the second failure was to offer yet another replacement. What is the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over again and each time expecting a different result. There is a serious quality issue here?

Avoid this product?
on 16 July 2013
As a science teacher my back ups are very very important to me. losing the 3 years worth of lesson plans, resources and files doesnt bare thinking about! I was recomended a SSD by our school IT technician as im afraid i am not good with electronics and have not been disapointed.

Very compact, lightweight, quick, one USB lead and bags of memory make it a must buy product if like me your previous hard drive has been chugging a little lately!
on 7 March 2014
Tiny. Very easy to set up. very fast. Replaced hard drive which failed. Hopefully solid drive will be more reliable.
on 16 August 2014
A great way to stor your vital files and the SSD makes it very quick to access and keep it secure.