2,348 Reviews

1,889 of 1,997 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent
Published 12 months ago by Dr. Paul Ell

1.0 out of 5 stars Glitchy and disappointing
I bought two of these at Christmas for my children who have been stealing my tablet for some time. I opted for the Kindle HDX because it seemed to offer a good hardware spec, parental control features and solid build quality.

I have been bitterly disappointed.

Published 8 months ago by Amazon Customer

1,889 of 1,997 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 13 Nov 2013
Dr. Paul Ell (NI, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I received this today despite having only ordered it yesterday afternoon. Cleary Amazon have plenty of HDX 7 inch models in stock. I went for the cheapest option - 16Gb of memory, (Wi-Fi only of course), and `with special offers' to cut the cost further. This is the third generation of Fire released in the US market and the second UK version. I purchased one of the first US models which has worked well for the last couple of years. The new model is a significant improvement on this.

Headlines, well first, the screen is absolutely fantastic. The colours are vibrant and the screen very bright, so bright in fact I've turned down the brightness settings. The screen has a far better resolution compared to the iPad Air (263 pixels per inch v. 323) which I bought last week and text is sharper and colour reproduction seems more realistic. Needless to say the screen is a long way away from the original Fire.

Second, and a little unexpectedly, the Fire is a lot lighter. I see its lighter than the last 7 inch HD version, and is considerably lighter than my original US-only model. Not that any of the 7 inch Fires have seemed too heavy to hold one handed for reading. The new Fire just makes it easier still.

Third, the tablet is a lot faster. The Fire uses the same processor that's in my Sony mobile phone and I've noticed a significant improvement with that compared to the last generation of chip. The Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor seems likely to be future proof for another couple of years.

Fourth, using the tablet with LoveFilm results is really high-quality film viewing. There's little reflection on the screen, on my BT Infinity internet link there's no delay in films downloading and no video stutter with images in brilliant quality. Partly this may reflect also the `ultra-fast' dual band Wi-Fi now built in. For printed content books are easy to read but I've never suffered from eye-strain reading from LCD screens. Others will be better able to comment on this. Magazines look brilliant making full use of the outstanding screen.

Finally, the sound is easily good enough to watch films with but I'd recommend headphones for music.

There are other features that I doubt I'll use much if at all. The `Mayday' function seems a little pointless especially as the most common problem I'm likely to experience is Wi-Fi connectivity issues! I purchased the 16Gb storage capacity as I tend to use the Fire mostly for reading and watching streamed films and Amazon's Cloud service. As a result additional memory is not needed for me. Nor do I need a rear camera (just as well as this 7 inch model doesn't have one) and I won't much use the front camera although it will work well for occasional video Skype call.

Potential downsides remain from other versions of the Fire. Although the version of Android is newer is still has a very heavy Amazon skin and you don't have access to the Play store. But for my use of the Tablet this isn't a problem especially as so many Apps are now available from Amazon.

Overall a dramatic enhancement on my old Fire, a brilliant screen, and a lightweight tablet which has a high build quality. For the price it's very good value for money. As a result highly recommended. I'll post an update on battery life after I've used the tablet for a couple of weeks. The specifications suggest this is a further area that's been improved on.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good tablet with excellent screen colour and definition and good ..., 4 Aug 2014
A very good tablet with excellent screen colour and definition and good battery life. In my opinion, superior to the Nexus in almost every respect, We paid extra for the 4G facility, which was probably a mistake as we have not used it. Unlike the ordinary Kindle, it requires you to sign up for a (quite expensive) contract in order to make use of this facility. Otherwise, outstanding.

5.0 out of 5 stars Early Christmas Present...., 25 Nov 2014
I am VERY pleased with my Kindle Fire, it enables me to read at night without disturbing my husband. I love the selection of books that Amazon offer too.

5.0 out of 5 stars My first Tablet...., 24 Aug 2014
I had been thinking of buying a tablet for some months and did a lot of research before actually buying this one. In the end it was a toss up between a Nexus 7 and the Kindle Fire HDX; the reviews were mainly positive for the latter, so when a certain high street store were doing the 32GB version for £60.00 less than advertised on Amazon, I took the plunge...
I've had the device for three days now and really glad I opted for this version.The screen is fantastically clear and bright with the device itself very light and thin. When I registered my Kindle with Amazon( just type in your log-in details), all my purchased music was instantly available and there is a facility for you to download it all to your device so you can play it all off-line. Navigating the web and e-mails is very fast- sometimes faster than my PC and downloading books take a few seconds. The only quibble I could really honestly say that I had issue with was transferring my own files from my PC to the Kindle. All my personal MP4 videos appeared to take an age to upload to the Cloud Drive, so I converted them to avi files and they took a fraction of the time and almost instantly synced with my Kindle. It's really best to upload to your Cloud Drive as transferring photos and videos point to point takes an age. Some non-Amazon bought music wouldn't upload either i.e. from CDs or music files on my PC as they are DRM registered. The power button is a little awkward being on the rear of the device- as is the volume control- so makes it a little troublesome when your Kindle is in a protective case.
Other than these minor points, I'm really pleased- couldn't decide whether to give this four or five stars, but gave Amazon the benefit of the doubt as I've never personally had any negative product associated with them. Hope this review helps someone out there...
UPDATE: If you want a decent case for this device, then get the one from InventCase advertised on Amazon for less than £15 as it has all the right holes in all the right places for the Kindle 7 HDX; I guess I bought my first case rather rashly in hindsight: go toNew Amazon Kindle Fire HDX 7 inch 7" 2013 (ALL Model Versions - 16GB, 32GB & 64GB Wi-Fi + 4G LTE) BLACK Multi-Function Leather SMART FOLIO Front & Back Case / Smart Cover / Typing & Viewing Stand / Premium SLIM Flip Case With Magnetic Sleep Sensor & Scr...
UPDATE NUMBER TWO; Had the Kindle for a few weeks now and I am still really pleased with it. A few things worth mentioning; I had to contact the help facility- the "Mayday" button- as my web browser appeared non-responsive. I was connected in less than 10 seconds and the solution was actually " drawn" on my device by my contact. Brilliant- wouldn't hesitate to use it again if I became stuck. I've now downloaded a lot of my non-Amazon music and personal videos to my Kindle via Cloud; once you've uploaded them and they sync to your device, simply download them onto your Kindle, then delete them from your Amazon Cloud, freeing up your free 5GB of storage. The battery life can be a little draining- I watched a video from BBC I-Player for two hours and the power discharged nearly 40 per cent from a full charge-but will last a lot longer just listening to music, reading books or when you are generally on-line. The Amazon AppStore suits my personal needs very well so I don't have to go through other channels, though other reviewers have commented on their paucity.
I have found my Kindle much easier to use that I thought I would and the fabulous resolution on the screen has made my friends and family think that I am a great photographer too!!! If I can understand and actively enjoy this device, then anyone can. Hope this helps.

1.0 out of 5 stars Glitchy and disappointing, 8 Mar 2014

I have been bitterly disappointed.

Firstly what isn't clear on the advert is that the parental control actually creates a separate section of the tablet which means that for two users the apps must be bought and installed twice taking up valuable space not to mention earning Amazon double revenues.

Secondly the device has been glitchy at best, often losing wifi connectivity (which according to the forum is more common that I realised). App's frequently crash and this seems to be to do with the amazon skin on android because i often have the same apps on my device and they run smoothly and without problems despite lower specs.

Thirdly, we have had a lot of problems with any none Amazon content. Music and Videos which in theory should play don't or albums are broken up into individual songs making playing or shuffling albums impossible.

Finally battery life has been disappointing with only around 4-5 hours on average. I have complained to Amazon and they have replaced the devices without complaint but the replacement ones perform the same. I have just bought the Nexus 7 for myself which outshines the kindle on every level and cost be over £70 less.

Having been a devout Amazon fan and traditional kindle fan for many years, this has been one huge disappointment for me and the children.

5.0 out of 5 stars ... just simply outstanding the sound and picture quality is amazing glad I didn't take any notice of the negative ..., 13 July 2014
This is just simply outstanding the sound and picture quality is amazing glad I didn't take any notice of the negative reviews the battery life is good too I have skyped,gamed and read on mine and the battery has lasted me a good 7 hours so I highly recommend this product

3.0 out of 5 stars This might not be the tablet you're looking for!, 2 Dec 2013
I brought the tablet as a gift for my daughter, wanting to make use of the Kindle FreeTime parental features and access to the Kindle Owner's Lending Library.

After a couple of hours use, setting it up so that it would be ready for Christmas day, I found that the Kindle Fire HDX is not fit for the purpose I wanted it for; I also found some other issues.

The main issues are:

1. Kindle FreeTime does not show any books that have been borrowed from the Lending Library. On the Lending Library, a headline of having 400,000 books available seems ridiculous when you can only have 1 a month!

2. Kindle FreeTime Unlimited (Unlike in the US) is not available, so you have to individually purchase and assign to your child's account. This is in contrast to the Unlimited service in the US where you can let your child have unlimited access to of a massive selection age appropriate Movies, TV, Apps and books.

3. Video file compatibility is limited on the device, with some commonly used file types being unsupported; Surprising, as it is one of the most powerful 7" tablets out at the moment, with amazing in built speakers.

4. The Silk browser is whilst fast, has compatibility issues, with a lot of web sites not rendering them correctly. Unlike the excellent Chrome browser, which is not available on the Amazon App store.

5. For those with Sky TV, the corresponding Android Sky Go App is not available in the Amazon App Store; Sky has stated that they will not be releasing the App for any of the Kindle Fire devices. This is a shame as the screen is fantastic for watching movies and TV.

There is no argument that the Hardware is top notch, but key features and services are either non-existent or a shadow of what has been on offer in the US for over a year.

Amazon's Fire OS 3.0 still has a long way to go.

3.0 out of 5 stars I've had it a few months and it's alright, but I'd only recommend if you've got Amazon Prime., 16 July 2014
Nice tablets with decent battery life as long as you can live without Youtube, Chromecast (you can sideload these but it's glitchy and you can't login), Gmail, Chrome, Hangouts, Maps, Drive...basically anything to do with Google integration. There are 3rd party apps available but these are generally absolutely rubbish (they usually just link to a browser window) and you usually have to pay for them.

It has an annoying lock screen that you have to swipe through before you get to the PIN entry (the only security feature available).

Almost zero customisation - there are no widgets, no wallpapers and there is only the single home screen on which to fit all your app icons. These can be sorted into named groups which you touch and then this brings up a smaller window with your grouped icons inside, but the whole process of sorting is clunky and after an app has updated it very annoyingly insists on putting a copy back on the home screen outside of the group.

Mine seems to have GPS but what the point of this is (other than for Amazon local offers) I have no idea as the selection of mapping software available is dire.

The Silk browser looks very dated compared to Chrome.

You'll quite often have screen rotation issues with apps e.g. iPlayer can be used with the tablet any way round until a video starts playing, then it has to be in landscape with the power button on the left unless you like watching upside down or sideways. This is an issue a lot of games have too. It's maybe the software writers rather than Amazon that are at fault but it does happen often.

There is a blue tinged around the screen about 5mm wide which is always noticable. It doesn't bother me a lot but it is a bit rubbish.

A less than awesome app store which is often slow to update current apps, there are no refunds even if the app turns out to be utter rubbish which happens a lot and most apps have few or no reviews (I've started going to the Google Play Store to check them out there 1st) and a lot of apps can be available one day then just disappear the next. They do however offer a free app every day, which occasionally are really good and there's the odd super deal like the £20 (or £15 - I can't remember) of credit I recently got for buying GTA: San Andreas for £4. Mind, you can install the Amazon appstore on any android device so you could get those deals without needing a Kindle anyway.

The main issue, by far for me, is Amazon's 'carousel'. It takes up too much room on the screen and it serves little purpose. It's slap bang in the middle and most of the time leaves a massive empty gap above it with nothing but the boring background to show whilst leaving only room for 2 rows of icons / groups below it. This huge, immovable object shows your apps, books, films etc from your most recent used (until the very beginning of time it seems), displayed as massive icons in a rotating carousel which you can flick through and it moves very smoothly and it is responsive. I really, really wish you could get rid of it or at least resize it. It is the worst thing about this tablet. For starters looks wise it can be a mess, a lot of icons aren't hi-res and are really ugly when giant sized. Next, my wife & kids get a lot of Kindle books on my account and these always show up on it (even though they have been purchased on separate machines) which, if I use the carousel, makes it a chore to trawl through looking for my own stuff. You can delete these things from the display Individually but it takes a good 5 seconds for each item. I really don't understand why the big version shows apps at all, I can find them much more easily in the groups and if I use one all the time I could just stick it on the home screen anyway. It's not even much good for finding your movies, TV programs and books that you are interested in either as there is no sorting of any kind. Stuff that I've already watched or read, alongside partially watched ones and stuff that I've only looked at for a brief few seconds as well as all the things that other members of the household have been looking at on different machines all cluttering it up in amongst all the apps that have been used. It's just a mess.

The carousel has a miniature version available when inside an app (just flick the edge of the screen and a row of icons you can scroll through is shown, 4 at a time). This is much more useful implementation as you can use it to flick between things on the fly. This is all you ever need it for.

If you're on Amazon Prime the tablet is great for watching your included films & programs on the move. Just click on the Videos tab and you're straight into the shopfront with all your Prime qualifying stuff easy to find. This is the only reason I've kept this tablet.

Compared to stock Android (my wife and kids have Nexus') the OS isn't great to use, it is clunky to get around, glitchy at times (incorrect battery level, already installed apps plonking their icons on your desktop after they've updated, wifi issues after latest OS update,random bluetooth disconnects) and the giant carousel is just the worst. Kindle reader, Amazon Store and the Amazon App store are available for any Android, so unless you've got Amazon Prime and you want to watch away from home I wouldn't bother with one of these (unless your going to flash a new ROM I suppose).

A couple of little tips if you do buy one:

1 - If you're a regular customer then buy the ad supported version. After a few days contact customer service and tell them how much it's annoying you and they should get rid of the adverts for free and you'll get to see some nice pics on your lock screen instead of an advert.

2- Everyone can turn off the recommendations bar by going to settings> applications> Home Screen and the option to 'Show/Hide recommendations' is there.

4.0 out of 5 stars very happy with the new kindle., 19 Oct 2014
Ms. S. J. Jones (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
I've had my new kindle 2 days after my kindle fire hd which was 18 months old decided to see if it could swim in the bath. It couldn't! It's far lighter than the previous model and unlike many other reviews I'm not seeing any problems with battery life, it has however stalled a few times and I am disappointed that the html port is not on these models. I used to stream movies from my kindle to the tv when we went on holiday but will no more! I read a lot of reviews saying that none of the new model kindles are compatible with the bbc iplayer, that nearly put me off buying as I download many programmes to view out of the house but I'm glad it didn't as I have the iplayer working no problem at all! I haven't yet tried to connect the Vodafone data so I will amend later about that. As a whole I love this kindle as much as my last, yes there is only a camera that allows selfies but I wanted the higher storage space and internet connection so I will sacrifice the double camera of the now updated kindle hd. Just think about the perks you really want before purchase, many reviews also complain about advertising, if you don't want it pay the extra. I personally don't think the advertising is intrusive, it's only on your start screen it doesn't pop up while your kindled in use. I'm a prime member so this is great for me, my use is mainly internet shopping, pinterest, Facebook, YouTube, Twitter those types of sites which all work perfectly on here. I definitely recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Tablet, 3 Sep 2014
Well, a big surprise in terms of how well this fits into my bear paw hands.
Well built as you'd expect, full of extras & with the current offer, I could buy the fully loaded 7" model for a clear £50 cheaper than the basic 8.9" one. That's a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned. Really good deal
Colours are vibrant & clear, the speakers are good enough to listen to by themselves although using Bluetooth, the transmission to alternative speakers is very simple.
In short, I wish I'd made the move sooner now. A good tablet with plenty of benefits, even if Amazon's Kindle doesn't allow use of things like Google... There are ways around this though so well worth the purchase