5.0 out of 5 stars A bit special
I bought the first OTT album and was, overall, pretty impressed. It started out well, but then kind of tailed off towards the end, but still it was definitely interesting. So, I was looking forward to the next one - and I'm not disappointed at all. This is wonderful, really wonderful.

It starts out kind of Indian/Eno-ish, lovely warm drones gently sliding into...
Published on 25 May 2008 by Diziet

3.0 out of 5 stars Yes, it's ok
As everyone with a laptop and too much time on their hands is churning out this sort of stuff, it's difficult to find the really outstanding albums. This is technically competent, but as I listen to it to induce a drug free trancelike state, the effect is rather ruined by the unnecessary insertion of distracting moments. The opening few minutes are a disappointment but...
Published 4 months ago by mattblack

5.0 out of 5 stars A bit special, 25 May 2008
Diziet "I Like Toast" (Netherlands) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Skylon (Audio CD)

It starts out kind of Indian/Eno-ish, lovely warm drones gently sliding into everyday sounds, dub beat slowly emerging. So I'm thinking, o.k. another nice dub album, that's fine.

But then it starts branching out into some gentle, laid-back electronica. Quite conventional in a way, but so beautifully done.

More Indian influences, bhangra beats to a kind of dub time, liquid vocals - Rogue Bagel.

Followed by fine dub in a sort of Shpongle stylee, but more spaced.

More ambient sounds, seagulls, and then something that sounds almost like the start of Strawberry Fields, complete with mellotron, quickly slips into dreamy vocals, modulations and fun electronics.

Gets quite funky - treated vocals over the top - "Everything is acceptable as long as house prices don't crash". Sarf London rap slips into Indian influences then back into electronic urban dub-ishness.

And then "A Shower of Sparks" that simply left me grinning from ear to ear. A wonderful grand finale that's just about got everything it in, ties the whole album together, slowly building up into a theme that just makes you feel so damn good about being alive, even on a cold wet Bank Holiday Sunday.

Love the cover as well :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime from beginning to end, 30 Jan 2008
This review is from: Skylon (Audio CD)
For any fans of dub, world, or electronic music, and fans of Shpongle, I would rate this album as a very essential purchase indeed. In my opinion Ott is the master of this particular genre, and if you are a fan of his previous album, Blumenkraft, then you will definitely like this. Each song is a different adventure into a trippy, sun soaked paradise.. its upbeat and yet chilled at he same time somehow.

So I guess the main bullet point of this presentation I want to get across is if you are a fan of dub/electronic/world music, I can say with a great deal of confidence that you will really, really dig this album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Close to perfect, 23 April 2008
Mr. S. Crook (Way out west) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Skylon (Audio CD)
Blumenkraft was very good, but bitty, more of a collection of tracks, Skylon is a complete work, flows from track to track and reaches a satisfying conclusion. There's still the use of Asian and Reggae rhythms on some tracks, others have a more UK folk feel to them, and some are just completely OTT :-).

If you're familiar with (and like) Shpongle and Younger Brother then this is in that territory, and you'll get OTT from the start. That's not to say that they're the same, but they are complimentary.

The sound quality is excellent, and if you've got the opportunity to play it loud on a good system it's quite stunning.

Is that a Marcus Brigstocke rant from the R4 'Now Show' on Roflcoptor???

5.0 out of 5 stars Sheer quality spacey music, 5 July 2010
This review is from: Skylon (Audio CD)
I don't really know anything about psyche trance or chill or any of that new fangled stuff. I took my last acid trip back in 1975 and nowadays I prefer a glass of wine in the garden while my wife prunes the roses.
But this is a gorgeous, tripy, sensuous, uplifting, stoned cool groove. worth every penny.

5.0 out of 5 stars Skylon, 17 Nov 2009
This review is from: Skylon (Audio CD)
very well produced spacey, ambient, progressive, chilled and wonderful music.
A good selection of musical journeys taking your mind to all kinds of places leaving you feeling nice. also check out blumenkraft by ott. i hope there will be more on the way soon.
I am a big ozrics fan and also love music by younger brother and shpongle so if you have similar tastes then music by ott is for you.
Enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lush, deep and human, 25 Nov 2008
Ian M. Taylor "continuum" (London,UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Skylon (Audio CD)
Like a lot of people who heard Ott's previous albums "Blumenkraft" and "Hallucinogen in Dub" I was *very* keen to hear what he came up with next.
Skylon is a wonderful record - lush, warm, immaculately produced and musically very satisfying. Unlike a lot of (ugh) 'electronica', which can be sterile and over-technical, Ott's stuff exudes humanity, warmth and humour, a lot like the bloke himself (that's Ott's voice you hear on Roflcopter BTW)
Love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars SKYLON, 28 April 2013
This review is from: Skylon (Audio CD)
One of my favorite albums of all time, i'm not going to bore you with why, just that this and Blumenkraft need to be in your album collection...sheer brilliance.

5.0 out of 5 stars OTT - the best, 9 July 2011
This review is from: Skylon (Audio CD)
I listen to: frontline assembly, nizter ebb, sheep on drugs right through to the orb, juno reactor(some), shpongle, synaestesia(still my fave) and OTT.

Skylon is a very uplifting set of tunes with a fun feel. Definitely more fun and toe tapping than many of my other collections. Can't help but feel this is an album I can play over and over again and revisit without feeling a sense of boredom.

Unique and light it sets itself apart by its sheer quality. Love it !

I recommend it heartedly....

5.0 out of 5 stars Nicely put together album, 4 July 2011
Mr. G. Lawson (Surrey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Skylon (Audio CD)
I was very impresed with this when i heard it the first time, and it still impresses me now. I'm trying hard to avoid overplaying this, as it's one of those albums that can be forgotten if you do, in my opinon anyway. I haven't heard any of OTT's previous work yet, so i'm not sure how it has evolved over time.

Overall i would say it has a strong middle to far eastern feel(goa i suppose), mixing ambient electronica with reggae/dub and chunky beats. I'm not a big fan of dub so don't be put off by my use of the word!

Perfect time to play this is a sunny sunday in the garden, beer and friends.

Hope this helps!

5.0 out of 5 stars A+++++++, 20 Feb 2008
S. Carroll - See all my reviews
This review is from: Skylon (Audio CD)
Have listened to this album almost everyday since its release. Its a must have for everyone.

Skylon