5.0 out of 5 stars soul-destroyingly lovely
I was taken to see this as part of my GCSE drama, and was warned by the teacher to bring tissues, as it was"tragic". I am a spectacularly hard-hearted person and never cry at plays, so I scoffed at this and didn't bring any. What a mistake that was!
Published on 25 May 2010 by msCaulfield

1.0 out of 5 stars original non musical script
the only reason that i did not enjoy reading this book is because its very different to the current script of the musical blood brothers, there is and alternative ending in this book and only features the lyrics to one song: (marilyn monroe) the book is quite shot and misses a great deal out om the present day perfomance of blood brothers, do not buy if you are wanting to...
Published on 28 Nov. 2005 by Mrs. L. Crossley

5.0 out of 5 stars soul-destroyingly lovely, 25 May 2010
I was shocked to find, during Eddie's solo "I'm Not Saying A Word", that my eyes were brimming, and by the end I was sobbing like a four-year-old. And of course everybody laughed their heads off at me, but that's not the point.
This is easily the best musical I have ever seen, with beautiful songs and a very touching plotline. In other words, a typical Willy Russell. Long live Blood Brothers!

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth a read!, 20 Jan. 2015
When introduced to this story during my English Language GCSE, by my tutor, I was at first sceptical. Previously, I’d only heard those opinions of people not enjoying the “Blood Brothers” story. However, I read the book with an open mind and have to admit I thoroughly enjoyed the storyline, characters and also the play!
Set in Liverpool, I instantly had a liking to the story, as this has to be my most adored accent of the UK. The story engages us on to the stressful and hopeless path of life of a mother who is persuaded to give one of her twins away. Who knew what bad luck such an act could bring?
The themes of different social classes I found really interesting and the story felt very believable to me as a reader. I felt I could really sympathise with the characters and must say that I didn’t want to put the book down.
There were parts of the story that were very upsetting and triggered a sadness of emotion. However this just made the story even more interesting and relatable.
If you’re looking for a book or play to be engrossed into and to trigger some of those heart felt tears then I can definitely recommend “Blood Brothers”.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read the book, then watch the play, 18 Jan. 2015
Set in Liverpool, Willy Russell does a great job of capturing the class-divide in the early 1960s-70s.
'Blood Brothers', has the ability to have you in both tears of laughter and sadness.
This book has something for everyone. The dark side of: deceit, adultery and murder, alongside the sharp wit, devotion and love of Mrs Johnstone.
It is a book you can't put down until you have finished, and as it is easily read in an evening, this is very manageable.
I would definitely recommend the book, however, the musical, which is also written by Willy Russell, is not to be missed.

5.0 out of 5 stars It really conquered me. I highly recommend it, 19 Jan. 2015
I have never been neither a drama nor a musical lover but this play totally conquered me.
Willy Russell, the author, was born in 1947 near Liverpool into a working-class family with a strong female influence in his life (mother), as a consequence, many of his plays seems to have a strong inspiration in working-class female figures taken from his own life. This is clearly shown in "Educating Rita", "Shirley Valentine" and "Blood Brothers" is not an exception.
The play was set in Liverpool in the 1960's. It is a musical which tells the story of twin brothers, Mickey and Edward, who were separated at birth because her mother, a working class lady, was so poor that she was not able to keep them both, therefore, she gives one to her employer, a wealthy woman who could not have children and passed the baby off as her own child.
The structure of the play is handled beautifully. The musical is divided in two acts and is enriched with many songs and metaphorical language which engage the reader. The author starts the play with the end of the story inviting the audience to judge the mother of the twins by the narrator who said, "An did y' never hear of the mother so cruel, There's a stone in place of her heart?" The narrator plays a determining role, adding a mysterious, guilty and dark atmosphere to the musical/drama.
Personally, at the beginning I was not very interested in the play because starts with a tragedy but as I kept reading I was absorb in the personalities of the female roles, the use of regional and standard English and people believes, as religion and superstition, to differentiate the social classes. Additionally, the enchanting metaphorical language, among other literary figures, that many times leaves the reader free interpretation. Furthermore, Willy Russell moves each of the characters from tragedy to humour, to compassion, to anger, to fear pushing the reader emotions from one extreme to the other back and forward making it amazingly entertaining. A stunning painting of the nuances of a society highly influenced by social class and how this division affected their ways of thinking, living and dying.
I, definitely, recommend the book but also enjoy the theatre play.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read the book and see the play, 19 Jan. 2015
Willy Russell describes a dramatic, yet tragic tale, of two women that share a dark secret. Set in Liverpool during the 60s/70s, Willy Russell's musical provides a window into the lives of two families, that are socially poles apart. Mrs Johnstone, a single mother struggling to make ends meet has no option but to give away one of her baby twins to Mrs Lyons, a wealthy woman that has yearns for a child of her own. The secret transaction must never be revealed, however, the twins become friends, unaware that they are actually birth twins. The play explores the hardship between the class divide and demonstrates the impact of family secrets, guilt and conscience. There are occasions of humour and innocence, which later becomes sinister and tragic, as neither family can escape the ultimate betrayal. This heart warming book transforms into a gripping, dramatic play, which touches on the heartstrings of all audiences. After reading the book, watching the play is a must. The emotion transmitted through the music, singing and actors performance does not detract form the dialogue within the book, but definitely enhances the harsh realities within this story. I read this book and watched the play as part of my GCSE course, and would strongly recommend reading this, even just for pleasure. It certainly makes you reflect on your own day to day lives and gives relationships another perspective.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 19 Jan. 2015
Well worth reading, although often used for GCSE coursework, do not let this put you off.
This book takes the reader on an emotional rollercoaster. It is easy to relate to the characters, one moment sympathising with them, the next despising their actions.
Either take this book at face value or look a little deeper and you will come up with some thought provoking ideas.
However, I would also recommend a trip to the theatre to really appreciate this play.

4.0 out of 5 stars the touching story of unconditional brotherly love is ruined by tragedy, 20 Jan. 2015
Based on a powerful and moving story, full of laughs and tears. The story takes us to Liverpool in the 1960's.
This is the heart-breaking story of a single hardworking mum who is forced to give away one of her twins. Separated at birth, they will became friends and blood brothers later in their lives without knowing the truth. However, the touching story of unconditional brotherly love is ruined by tragedy.
The highlights of Blood Brothers is the story itself- emotional, gripping, comical and heart-worming. I would strongly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 12 May 2014
Mr. G. MARTINALE (Buckinghamshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blood Brothers (Kindle Edition)
Fast service. The product arrived in good time and in the condition described by the seller. Would use this again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 26 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Blood Brothers (Kindle Edition)
I would recommend this book so much it's so good and never gets old no matter how many times you read it

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing made me cry!!!, 1 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Blood Brothers (Kindle Edition)
Great stuff!!! But so sad :( doing this for drama cant wait to see the production seems really interesting to see

Blood Brothers