on 10 June 2013
To be fair I did approach this book with fairly low expectations, however it is Dave Coplin and therefore the reader gets an articulate and witty discourse on why work isn't working. Dave writes in a concise clear style and engages the reader with the intention being both entertaining and thought provoking. At coming in under 100 pages I read it in one enjoyable gulp, noting the irony, that I was in an open plan office...sitting on the edge...monitor shielded....facing the herd!
on 24 September 2013
Dave Coplin is one of the few people in today's world of IT who is a joy to listen to at a meeting or conference. His combination of insight into business and IT mixed with a fine sense of humour makes him as he puts it "a beardy weirdy guy" worth listening to as CEO of Microsoft - that's Chief Envisioning Officer.

Whilst much of what Dave says is just common sense and it is stuff we have all witnessed day to day at work but it is stuff we have failed to see the significance or joined the dots which he clearly has. The work smarter not harder cliché is something we all quote but we seldom do because none of wants to rail against technology in which we trust so completely.

I know for a fact that after reading Dave's book I will be reimagining how I use technology and do business as opposed to simply going on in the same way as I have since the 80's.
on 8 September 2013
'With everything they do in full view of everyone else, the employees in the middle of the office give up on creativity and settle for "productivity".'

It's time that we look at whether we really want to be working in the way we're working, that's the main idea in this book. And yet it's going to be hard, very hard, just to start thinking about how or why we should do this. That's where this book starts, looking at how the traditional workplace has evolved and how a handful of organisations and individuals are beginning to challenge it and find better ways of working (and by "better" I mean ways to make their business more successful and their people happier).

The book is indeed a manifesto, looking at the barriers and opportunities that technology has created to make a more flexible working life. Of course, technology is not enough and what we really need to be looking at is shifting our mindset.

The book is quite short - the Kindle version is free and the paperback is relatively cheap. Go on, have a look. See what you think.
on 18 June 2013
This is a worthwhile read for anyone running a company, leading a team or involved in management doctrine, after all we've waited more than 200 years for something to challenge Taylorism and here it is. If TQM made you weep and Six Sigma makes you want to stick your head in the oven to make the pain go away then this book will make a refreshing read.

The central notion is that the last decade of technology has put us in a situation where employees seek fulfilment as well as reward and the organisations that harness this will win out. With lots of pertinent examples to support this it makes for a thought provoking read.
on 10 July 2013
Could not put this book down. Have just been reading it through the night. My mind is buzzing with ideas and questions about how I can reimagine my little bit of the world! Thanks Dave for a concise, clear and thought provoking read.
on 2 December 2013
I had the pleasure of seeing Dave Coplin doing a speaking slot at a Microsoft Event earlier this year. A fantastic speaker on the topic of thinking differently about how we do business in knowledge worker type roles - this book is very similar to his talk but goes into more detail.

Great that this book is free for the Kindle!
on 12 February 2014
The author presents some compelling ideas about the world of work: in particular, about how we need to move away from measuring process efficiency to the effectiveness of the end product and how flexible working will help us to achieve it.
Dave Coplin seems to argue that these changes are both inevitable and a panacea. I'm not sure that either is the case and I don't think he presents strong enough arguments to demonstrate it. But his argument is powerful and well worth reading if you're responsible for managing teams. It's fair to say -- indeed the author says it himself -- that not every idea will work for your organisation. But the book does open your mind to the idea that the way we're working is no longer fit for purpose and that there are clear ways to improve it.
on 1 November 2013
some interesting thoughts on work and what it means, how it has changed and how it still needs to. if you've heard Dave speak then it's a great refresher on his thoughts
on 7 November 2014
This brief, readable, book argues that collaborative, flexible, technology is increasingly creative, which is producing new challenges for the business environment that, if used correctly, can liberate, rather than constrain. In the future work will be more about being open and empowered, rather than being concerned with process and hierarchy. The fact that the book is written by the Chief Envisioning Officer at Microsoft UK gives the messages even more credibility, although they should certainly not be considered the last word on the subject.
on 10 November 2014
My team all read this as part of our monthly book club and it took me around 45m to read and annotate it. My summary of this very slight book is that it doesn't really say anything that isn't readily obvious to anyone already in business. It does make the valid point that innovation and agility are really important in business so that when things change you can ride the wave and that technology and cultural change create an environment where creativity gives rise to that innovation. But we already knew that, didn't we.........?