2,244 Reviews
 (1,081)

4.0 out of 5 stars A compelling read but slightly irritating too!
I enjoyed this book and if one has to be widowed then Bridget Jones is doing it in style.
I found the book very sad and very amusing at the same time but towards the end I began to wonder if Bridget Jones realised how lucky she really was.
Financially secure with a London House. Not having to work and with a daily cleaner and a nanny to help out. Baby sitters...
Published 8 months ago by Mrs. S. M. Crawford

1.0 out of 5 stars Poorly written. Has definitely one eye on the movie...
I never write reviews normally but felt I had to warn people of this terrible book.
Published 6 months ago by A. G. Mccallum

1.0 out of 5 stars Poorly written. Has definitely one eye on the movie..., 7 Jan 2014
This review is from: Bridget Jones: Mad About the Boy (Kindle Edition)
I quite enjoyed the original 2 books but the style of writing has not only become outdated and tired but also annoying and boring. I know Helen has tried to bring Bridget up to date but all the texting and tweeting is a bore to read, so I skipped over most of it. I couldn't wait to finish it but it was a slog.
Bridgit also seems to be 51 yrs old which doesn't quite work out with where she left off 15 yrs ago and yet has a son and a 4 yr old daughter, who seems to only flit in and out of her consciousness. She therefore is a terrible mother and very selfishly only thinks about herself and where her life is going.
Fielding is definitely thinking about her movie rites with this shallow written story.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bridget Jones ...The Third instalment, 27 Oct 2013
Big Bertha (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Bridget Jones: Mad About the Boy (Kindle Edition)
Somehow I missed the pre-release hype that this book had been published and came across it whilst browsing reviews on Amazon. Reading the reviews could quite easily have put me off getting my own copy but I grew up with Bridget, she was a character I was able to relate to and unable to resist I had to read the next instalment.

Bridget in her early 50's is a far cry from the Bridget from the first two books. She's got two children, a Nanny and a Twitter account. Initially I wasn't that impressed but as the book progressed I found traces of the old Bridget resurfacing, I found myself laughing at some of her crazier moments and felt sad at the more poignant ones.

Not going to say anything about the storyline, it's been well covered by other reviewers and I sort of wish I hadn't read them before getting this as I was aware of some major spoilers before reading.

I didn't love it as much as the first two....maybe I grew up and Bridget didn't, but touches of the old brilliance were still there and if you're a die-hard Bridget fan then give it a go.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bridget Jones Bad Dream, 25 Mar 2014
This review is from: Bridget Jones: Mad About the Boy (Kindle Edition)
This book was so much more than a disappointment, it actually made me physically cringe at certain points. Fielding's pathetic attempts to reflect the modern world were totally out of touch with reality. I don't know a single person who might identify with Bridget or her friends, who only seem to pop up to quote some crappy mantra, from a self help book that most of the world has forgotten about. Bridget has been blessed with children but they are far too young considering that she and Mr Darcy ran off into the sunset almost two decades ago. What's most annoying, the children seem to be at the bottom of Bridget's upper middle class priority list, making her a pretty unlikable character. This book's most unforgivable fault, is that it killed off Mr Darcy before the first page in order to clear the way for Bridget to enter the modern dating world. The reader would have forgiven Fielding for splitting up the happy couple, in a trial separation or divorce, maybe throw in a teenage child or two and some dating disasters which the reader may relate to, before they ultimately realise their love for each other again. In fact, I would still urge Fielding to write that book, the first chapter could start with Bridget waking up from a bad dream.....This awful book. Honestly, Fielding its not to late to scrap it and start again!!

One star and that's being generous

2.0 out of 5 stars New Bridget Jones book, 24 Nov 2013
A. J. Best "anita" (west sussex. uk) - See all my reviews
This does not compare to Helen Fielding's previous books. It is boring and not really funny, It concentrates on twitter outpourings and is Bridget is no longer a character you can empathise with. Bad mistake to kill off Mark Darcy as there now seems to be a big gap in the story and it all seems unrealistic.
Unhappy previous Bridget Jones fan!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Laughs: 0 (not vg) Eye Rolls: too many to count., 5 Dec 2013
Diabolical.

Lovable, cuddly, foot-in-mouth, just-the-way-you-are Bridget is long gone. In her place is a 51 year old widow obsessed with finding a man (yes, still,- and while we're on the subject, what kind of a name is Roxster?!), losing weight (yes, still, - a referral to an obesity clinic at a size 14? Really Helen? Way to relate to a huge chunk of your original fans there...) and booze (mouthful of wine in the middle of a children's diarrhea/vomit incident? Really?).

As for "hilarious" - if you find nits, poo, vomit, farting, technophobia and juvenile name-calling among parents funny, then you'll split your sides within the first 150 pages. Otherwise, you'll sit as I did, cringing for this ridiculous woman.

Just keep in mind when reading this that Bridget is no longer in her thirties and trying to work out where her life is going. She's 51, with children raised by a Nanny (even though she doesn't work) and a stupid boyfriend. Her friends haven't grown up either, and her mother is still commenting on her life even though she's now in her seventies.

Helen seems to think we've all forgotten who Bridget is - lines from the first two books and films crop up repeatedly. "Daniel, my former emotional f*ckwit boyfriend and Mark's former arch-enemy" or "Running around naked on his parents lawn". Look, I'm all for finding love and discovering who you are no matter what your age, but when these characters are supposed to be in their fifties and they're still having telephone conversations that involve the words "what colour are your knickers, Jones?" - it's time to stop reading.

Helen made a huge mistake getting rid of one of the most popular characters, but she made an even bigger one by writing this drivel in the first place. It's obviously written with the intent of being turned into a film, because it's lost all the sparkle of the first two books and instead is heavily reliant on visuals that will work in a Hollywood movie. The sentence "it's raining men" is actually in here. Repeat references to the Dalai Lama's twitter account and numerous mentions of checking for followers made me want to heave.

Awful.

1.0 out of 5 stars Diappointed, 27 Dec 2013
A. M. Mincham (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bridget Jones: Mad About the Boy (Kindle Edition)
What a shame, I loved the first two books. This one is boring, badly written and uses text conversations and Twitter rubbish far too often. Plus, what is the point of having a book about Bridget without Mr Darcy? Should have left it at 2 books- had to force myself to finish it.

1.0 out of 5 stars dear lord, 26 Dec 2013
Lynn Pearce (Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bridget Jones: Mad About the Boy (Kindle Edition)
this is a travesty - a book about nothing with a heroine that doesn't have the appeal she did int he earlier books. Not worth the money

2.0 out of 5 stars such a shame...., 22 Oct 2013
This review is from: Bridget Jones: Mad About the Boy (Kindle Edition)
I had great expectations and was incredibly excited about the release of this book but sadly I failed to enjoy it as much as I'd hoped

Although it's a good read in its own right and we all love Miss Jones it's not a good follow-on. To kill off such a great character whom we all love and then simply have the story follow a familiar path didn't really cut it for me,
essentially Mr Wallaker is just a recreation of Mr Darcy.

Nothing new here sadly

2.0 out of 5 stars Contrived, poorly researched, insulting to austerity era parents. Bit of a guilty pleasure then., 6 Nov 2013
i wrote this "i did" (Bucks) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
First things first; I am a man. A not very fabulous man at that.
Feel free to disregard the rest of my review if you wish as clearly I am not Helen Fielding's target market either now or 15 years ago. In my defense, I did read and enjoy Bridget Jones' Diary back in the day. Oh and I have childcare responsibilities so a grown up Bridget should be right up my street.....

ANYWAY. Now you know my credentials or lack there of let's get on with the review:

I agree with every one of the 1 star reviews here, this is a dreadful book. All the points scored against it are easy shots:

The character has not changed in any way in 15 years despite parenthood and two significant bereavements

The tragic events glossed over in the recap are far more interesting then the trivia that makes up the actual plot of the novel, is Helen Fielding scared of depth?

It reads like a synopsis for a movie with Hugh Grant's character shoe horned in purely so the producers of the inevitable film can include his name on the poster

It is not funny - the comedy is horribly contrived and falls flat on it's bottom at every turn

The story is utter trivia - did I mention that already? It bears repeating!

And you will no doubt find your own list of personal pet hates.
Here are mine:

The dismal cultural research (Plants Vs Zombies is not a game in which children use zombies to destroy plants, there are no 'levels' to complete in Minecraft, the last time a child said "Epic Fail" in real life was 2010 and even then they were eternally shunned by their peers for using such dated parlance).

The constant product placement masquerading as authenticity (Apple and Grazia must be delighted among many, many others).

But my biggest problem is Bridget herself, or possibly Helen Fielding's world view as presented by Bridget Jones. Specifically Bridget's many failings as a parent, partner and friend are presented as lovable quirks intended to make her sympathetic. I found such behavior and attitudes fairly amusing 15 years ago but now that she has been cast as a parent see seems like a deeply selfish, self absorbed and shallow person. She completely eclipses her children in her own mind, along with everyone else in her life. Bridget is only really concerned about meeting her own needs. In reality this is hugely destructive in a child's life, so not funny or quirky then. Yes, I am being serious about a chic lit pseudo comic novel - but as the comedy doesn't really work I feel the novel leaves us with a very ugly central character who lives in a permanent state of excusing her own selfishness.
But maybe this is a clever dig at the western mindset? Probably not.

Which leads me on to my second biggest problem with the book; Bridget's life style. although she has suffered a huge personal loss Bridget does not have to work and has a nanny. This leaves her free to wallow in her obsessions, one of which just happens to be screen writing but could just as easily have been decoupage. Personally I am doing my parenting against the back ground of austerity Britain. Every time Bridget wastes a day reading magazines and tweeting then complains about her calorie intake and lack of productivity I find myself getting, well, a bit cross. Jealous yes. But frustrated that she doesn't grow up, turn her phone off, deny her own interests and commit to being present in the moment with her loved ones.
A clever dig by Fielding at the 1% perhaps? Nah, I doubt it.

So it's utter rubbish from being to end, an insult to working parents, to earnest non working parents, to feminism and a celebration of all that is banal in contemporary culture.

But....er, I couldn't put it down.
It's an easy breezy read and perfect for a commute, air port or pool side. Shame on me. Shame on us all.
2 stars then.

2.0 out of 5 stars Shallow, 25 Nov 2013
Although I read the book for some light relief from heavier, more valuable reading, this book is so shallow it is boring, and I believe would never have been published if it wasn't for the success of the films. The plot is totally predictable and transparent and as per The Edge of Reason, Fielding regurgitates the same jokes; thankfully this time there wasn't yet another fight scene. The character 'Bridget' has always been the appeal for me, which previously enabled me to tolerate the weak story telling, but I found it difficult to even enjoy Bridget in this book; Fielding made it all too easy for her and there was nothing and no one to root for, particularly as the ending was obvious by about an 8th of the way through the book.
Fielding writes that she cried when she listed the many people who had contributed in her acknowledgements, and in her shoes I would have been crying in shame; I suspect that Teenagers have written better books without any of the assistance or the financial incentive that Fielding had. I'm just pleased that I borrowed it rather than buying it!

Bridget Jones: Mad About the Boy