5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating from start to finish; I couldn't put it down!
Published 9 months ago by Amy

3.0 out of 5 stars Umm
I'm a big fan and I just recently read the Medium series which I loved. So I went on to read more series but I didn't enjoy it quiet as much, not sure why !! I felt it was a bit wishy washy I know people just hope you read the next one so don't give much away but felt like nothing was given away in this book. But I still recommend it. I was just frustrated by it a bit.
Published 5 months ago by Suzy

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating from start to finish; I couldn't put it down!, 30 Jun. 2014
This review is from: The Wrong Girl (The 1st Freak House Trilogy) (Kindle Edition)
There are very few books I've read that I have been unable to pull myself away from, and this is one. I could not put it down, and I didn't, I read this book in one day! It captivated my imagination from the beginning. The characters are so well written you feel as though you are in the room with them, and it is not long before you fall in love with, what I consider, the two main characters, Hannah and Jack, as you see their relationship grow. Being set in the 1800's adds to mysterious, intriguing atmospheric of the novel. One may say the end leaves questions unanswered, however being fully aware that this is the first in a series, having those questions unanswered only makes me all the more eager to read the next book immediately. Fantastic writing with a rich story you can really get engulfed in, I highly recommend this book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing story full of questions, bits of romance and hidden truths., 19 Jun. 2014
Set in the 19th century England the story is about a young girl Hannah Smith who has spent most of her life living in the attic until the day when she was kidnapped and brought to Freak House, a place with occupants whose past in not less mysterious than Hannah’s’.

From the very beginning of the book, every single page seems to add more and more questions making the book almost impossible to put down! Curious and brave Hannah makes her way through them in an attempt to resolve all the mysteries of the Freak House and its occupants. The romantic part enriches the whole story making characters even more true and believable.

I really enjoyed the tension that lasted throughout the book, but unfortunately, it ended quiet suddenly leaving readers without answers to all of the thrilling questions. Despite all that, I’m really looking forward to reading the second part of it and hoping that it’s as interesting, mysterious and thrilling as the first one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshingly Original, 18 July 2013
This was one fantastic read! A really fascinating story which I couldn't put down, so this is easily a 5 stars. Isn't there a 6 star option?

The characters really came to life for me, and there was plenty of mystery and drama, and even a spark of romance.

Hannah was loyal and strong, Jack was headstrong and Sylvia? Well, I still think she's hiding something. Bollard was creepy and more than a little scary.

The twists in this book are excellent and I wasn't even expecting most of them. It's great to be surprised by a book, by the way the plot is woven, especially when there are so few original ideas out there. I don't know if this book will be to everyone's tastes, but I freaking love it, it's an excellent start to the series which I know I will continue reading.

I am now more eager than ever to read C.J. Archer's Emily Chambers series, that little reference has got me intrigued. Thank goodness I already have the first book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Gothic mistaken identity..., 6 July 2013
Combining Victorian favourite themes of mistaken identities, mysterious benefactors and unknown orphans in a sprawling gothic mansion, The Wrong Girl feels like Wilkie Collins for teens. Hannah Smith, our orphan is mistaken for the daughter of a Lord and kidnapped. Finding herself among others who have just as mysterious pasts as herself, and determined to protect her friend, she plays along with their assumptions while trying to figure out what is really going on at Freak House.

Hannah is a smart and feisty young lady - which seems a little odd given how sheltered her life was up until this point but it does make her a very modern heroine and easy to relate to. Her kidnappers range from lonely and overlooked young lady, a brooding older guy with secrets of his own and a scientist with odd ideas and changeable moods. There are some periods of over explanation as people spend a lot of time telling Hannah things - these info dumps are interesting but mean the main plot doesn't move along much. This being the first book in a series it beautifully sets up some intriguing questions and plot arcs for Hannah and co to uncover in the future - why was she hidden in the attic for so long? What happened to her parents? These are all questions I want to know answers to!

However, so much time is spent setting up the wider plot arcs, the plot of these book feels a little rushed. Centring on a break in at Freak House and stolen research notes, the resolution to this was sudden and could easily have been avoided by the characters if they were a little more sensible or patient.

There is some romance but it doesn't impose on the story or the characters - they both exist as full personalities outside of their relationship and I found it rather sweet - once I got past the whole kidnap thing (which seems a little strange once you get to know the characters!). The writing was very easy to get into and painted the grounds and characters of Freak House in colour and shade. This is a series I want to follow as I need answers!

3.0 out of 5 stars Umm, 6 Nov. 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, 29 May 2014
I read as i usually do all my books on holiday. CJ is Australian and a great story teller. I have enjoyed ALL the books that I have read from this lovely lady....I recommend the medium Trilogy to...Buy ANY book from her You wont regret it...Honest!! x

2.0 out of 5 stars more questions than answers, 24 May 2014
The book started out well
It's was suitably atmospheric with the dour governess the mysterious Gardner later on the wheelchair bound mad scientist type and his silent sidekick bollard ( had me thinking of frankenstine and the mad scientist)
Jack and the well meaning but slightly snobbish Sophie and Hannah
I have to say that Hannah is a very complete character we can see into her and her motivations and her character doesn't vary except she seemed totally blasé about the outside world ( which seems strange since she hasn't been outside ever)
The book is to my mind incomplete a book at the end if it should answer some questions instead if creating even more
By the end if the book we don't know
Who is Hannah Smith
What is happening between her and jack
How does violet and Tate fit into the story
Really is answers none of them and infact I hesitate to even call it a romance ... It's a gothic tale which reads like Part1 and some more parts to follow

5.0 out of 5 stars great find, 19 May 2014
Totally loved this book, it's not my usually read, but read it in a day, and, it's a while since i've done that, in fact I've enjoyed it so much went in and bought the next two, and,that is unusual for me

4.0 out of 5 stars Great historical paranormal romance, 21 Aug. 2013
I really liked this book. Not least for some of the beautiful descriptions peppered throughout with a very light touch. Such short description that tell you so much and put you right there. Here are a couple of my favourites:

"The sun, however, still shone on Windamere's facade, bathing it in a golden glow it didn't deserve."

"The trees near the house swayed drunkenly."

"He moved close and skimmed his hand over Clover's neck, toward my knee. He didn't look away, and I certainly couldn't. I was caught in his presence as securely as the ruins in the vines."

One of the main 'twists' wasn't really a twist at all and was pretty predictable, but at the same time it was fun waiting for the penny to drop. The pacing felt just right for the story being told and I found it hard to put down.

The characters were all really well fleshed out and likeable and there is still plenty left to find out about them which is always a plus for a series. There are quite a few questions left unanswered at the end of this book and normally that would annoy me. Not so with this one, it just has me eagerly awaiting the second instalment.

The author very cleverly mentioned a character from a previous series that has now prompted me to add that to my TBR pile too, along with anything else she has written. If you like paranormal romance, I highly recommend this book.

Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

My Rating System:
1 star: I will never post a 1 star review because this means it was so bad I couldn't finish it, and I don't won't publicly rate a book I haven't read all the way through.
2 stars: I may have liked the story but it was badly written or it may have been a boring story well written. Something about it kept me reading but I didn't enjoy it.
3 stars: A good, enjoyable read. If the description appeals to you I'd recommend reading it.
4 stars: A really good book that I thoroughly enjoyed and may even read again. I will want to read other books by the same author. Highly recommend.
5 stars: Reserved for books that blew me away and whose characters I can't get out of my head. These are books that I will definitely read again, possibly several times. If I read an e-book version I may even have to go buy a hard copy for my shelves. Why are you still here? Go read this book right now.

4.0 out of 5 stars The wrong girl is the right but girl, but then who is the wrong girl pretending to be the right girl?, 7 Jun. 2013
Cheryl M-M (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I thought the beginning was full of potential. A plot that will intrigue the readers who like their characters with bonus powers and written in a way that relates to younger people.
The first half was strong, determined and convincing. The second half was a little rushed.
The main character has been kidnapped for the unusual powers she apparently controls. Unfortunately she isn't as talented as her captors presumed her to be.
To make matters worse she feels a strange attraction towards her handsome kidnapper. That turns out to be a bit of a moral conundrum.
There were a lot of unanswered questions at the end of this first book.
Why the heck was Vi in the attic? Are Jack and Hannah part of some dubious experiment? Where are their parents and do they have any at all? Where does Sylvie fit into all of this?
So you're not left with a cliffhanger in the usual sense of the word, more like twenty questions instead.
I received a free copy of this book via NetGalley.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›