5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Radio backed up by outstanding customer support.
This review has gone through a total overhaul..... and for good reason. Pure's customer support is simply outstanding !! The tech at Pure were so concerned with the shortcomings I reported on one unit that they asked me to ship the product directly to them, whilst they shipped a replacement. Barely a day later I had my replacement radio on my desk.

I was...
Published 18 months ago by Antoine Camilleri

3.0 out of 5 stars Evoke 4? No way - Evoke 3 Yes!
For four years I had an Evoke 3, which met my needs perfectly well. I was away from home for lengthy periods, and being a radio fanatic I liked to record to an SD card for when I got home. The best of these recordings I saved, and they were as good as a CD. When the 'record' function broke down, I put it in for repair; obviously they couldn't repair it, so they sent me...
Published 3 months ago by Peter Scott-presland

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Radio backed up by outstanding customer support., 8 Dec. 2013
Antoine Camilleri (Malta) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Pure Evoke F4 Bluetooth Portable Internet Radio with DAB/FM (Electronics)

I was immediately drawn to the lovely, piano black finish of this very stylish radio. On close inspection there were no scratches or stripped screws I had seen on my previous unit. This now confirmed my suspicions that the previous radio was a return and that I had wrongly blamed Pure for poor quality control. It also meant that my previous review did not hold water, as I was reviewing a used and probably tampered with unit.

A point worth noting before I proceed further is that customer support plays a huge role when buying a product. Pure will really go out of their way (as in my case) to guarantee customer satisfaction.

Pros:
- Stylish, compact unit
- *Setting up internet streaming could not be any easier
- Alarm snooze by simply touching the metal "Snooze Handle"
- "Intelligent menu" touch sensitive buttons, which light up only if they are associated with a particular function
- One touch Recording. I use a tiny USB Super Talent Pico memory stick (a perfect match for this radio)
- Mobile unit (Pity that the proprietary battery is not included in the unit considering the premium price)
- Great WiFi reception. I still get a good signal through 4 stone walls, and 30 feet away
- Crisp, high quality punchy sound
- Periodic firmware updates via WiFi. Since I bought the radio there have been 3 firmware updates
- Very informative crisp display, showing song and artist names plus the time (Internet radio). In FM mode displayed content depends on the transmitting station (RDS)
- DAB+ (The sound is much better than DAB, and is future proof for UK)
- Brag that you have "What HiFi's" product of the year!!

*The multi-function knobs do a great job in assisting easy setup. The WiFi password is entered by rotating the knob until the desired letter or number is highlighted, and a push on the knob itself confirms selection.

Cons :
- AUX out has been ditched. It can still be connected to an amp via headphones, yet having an output at the pre-amp stage is always better
- Pure Accessory ChargePAK F1 Rechargeable Battery Pack , which makes this unit mobile is not bundled with the unit
- No remote. An iOs/Android App could be made available for the Evoke series as the existing one leaves much to be desired

One of the mentioned cons is the omission of AUX out. To be fair, the pictures on the listing clearly show that there is no such output. Having said that, I was pleasantly surprised by the great sound quality when hooking the unit to a Hi-Fi system via the headphone jack.

I can keep on going about the smart design and great features of this lovely radio. It does reflect that Pure have put a lot of time and effort into the design of the Pure Evoke F4. If only we could have a dedicated iOS/Android app for the Evoke series radios, than that would be the icing on the cake !!

Hope you find the review helpful. Happy Streaming :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Pure and getting better every day, 3 Sept. 2013
Planet G "stendec-306" (Berkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This radio is an update to the older Pure Evoke Flow radio which was one of the first streaming radios on the market. Pure have made some changes. The overall design has been tweaked, rounded edges and a blue/grey LED give the F4 a lovely retro look, which will make this radio look at home anywhere in the house.

Pure have added Bluetooth connectivity and record capability too- the Bluetooth connectivity is through a small (supplied) dongle and the record facility is through the USB connection to a USB storage device- as there's only one USB port, the Bluetooth dongle needs to be removed to allow recording.

The controls on the front panel include two rotary controls - volume and a scroll/select control and there are also 7 touch controls- a Home button, Preset button, Tag button, settings button, and a Back button. The on/off button is also a touch control. The sound of this radio really is excellent - up there with the very best for Voice Radio and it still does well with music too - and can fill a small room such as a bedroom with reasonable listening volume. For it's size, its an impressive performer.

Overall, navigation through the menu system has been improved from the original radio - it's quicker and a little more intuitive to get around with the F4.

As a DAB radio it performs really well and at my location it picked up over 30 stations without the antenna being extended. It's a really nice radio actually.

Bluetooth is a revelation. It's great to be able to stream directly from my IPad or IPhone without requiring Internet connection. Fantastic with BBC IPlayer on the IPhone. Also I love streaming my Spotify music to it when I want to - and it also means I can search for internet radio streams from other third party apps on my IPhone.

Connecting the F4 it the Internet is a breeze and you can stream thousands of interesting and unusual Internet radio stations in minutes using the Pure connect web portal which on the whole looks impressive and is very easy to find your way around.

You can set up to two alarms on it and it has the famous "Snooze Handle" which means that snoozing when the alarm actually goes off is easy (perhaps too easy on a monday morning). The sleep function is difficult to use though - by the time you've found it you'll be wide awake, having probably had to read the manual. I'd love PURE to allow the choice of using the Snooze Handle as a Sleep Handle for easy setting or extension of sleep timer.

With the addition of a rechargeable proprietary Pure battery to make this a very portable radio, The PURE Evoke F4 has a lot going for it, even though the rechargeable battery will set you back an extra £33. But when you think about it for a moment this is probably less than the cost of 6 alkaline battery sets and being able to just plug the radio in to get the battery re-charged is very convenient. I'm not sure how long the battery lasts - haven't put that to the test so far, though on the old model Evoke Flow I used to get around 10hrs from one charge.

The only star this radio loses is for its rather unreliable performance with Listen Again. I have a 4.5Mbs talk talk router and normal streaming of pure music and Internet radio is effortless as indeed it should be- but this radio still doesn't always manage to play back Listen Again programmes. The Pure app on IPhone and IPad has a habit of hanging too. The F4 fares much better than the Pure app here as it frequently manages to recover itself, but all too often you are left with a silent radio. Having owned the radio now for several weeks, my success rate streaming Listen Again is just over 60% - this still isn't reliable enough and I hope PURE can make more improvements. The best thing to do is to use BBC IPlayer through the Bluetooth connection from an Iphone or similar as this has never let me down.

Whilst PURE have made a great deal of improvements with this radio, clunkiness of navigation is still a niggle. In my original review I complained that detailed internet radio information had been replaced by a caption saying (Live Stream). PURE support told me how to correct this on the radio - and it was very easy, once the "trick" was known. The Information button hides behind several menus and is tucked away in the display settings. The functionality is great - it allows you to display whatever information you want to on the LED screen but its a bit awkward to get to.

In light of the updated information on radio station information, plus my experiences with the radio over the weeks I've owned it I can honestly recommend this radio to most (with the one caution about the reliability of streaming Listen Again streams) - it looks great, sounds brilliant and can stream my Spotify music as well- this really is close to being an exceptional product and is a significant and worthwhile update for the PURE Evoke Flow.

My review was updated on 17 Sep 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Positive review, 30 Dec. 2013
I purchased this radio in spite of the many negative reviews on Amazon. It was delivered in good time and worked straight out of the box. FM and DAB reception is fine. (FM needs aerial out.
It found my wifi and connected swiftly, recognising my wireless key.. It found the music on my PC and streamed with no problem. I then checked out the Buetooth and now could use the Evoke as an extension speaker when watching BBC iPlayer on my phone or tablet.
In all, it meets all the specifications listed. I am almost fully satisfied with my Purchase. My only gripe is the time it takes to boot up. When you want to listen to the radio you want it to just turn on, not to have to wait over a minute (using battery power) before you can change staions. I'll get used to it !

4.0 out of 5 stars Pure music at last outstanding, 13 Mar. 2015
Simon (England West Midlands) - See all my reviews
I needed a portable radio for years & have done a lot of research into other models & they were always missing different features but seeing this one a couple of times in Curry's the design & features just stood out for me it's slick, shiny & has a good weight to it so thought I'll give it a chance & I'm happy I did !. The features for a compact unit like this are second to none dab radio clear & plenty of stations to choose from presets are handy too, internet radio is outstanding & I don't know how I got by without it you could listen to Jazz from The U.S, Dance music from Ibiza whatever your taste it's out their or should I say in hear !. I haven't tried the pods yet but the u.s.b is in use with my Wd portable drive if your tech Savvy just hook it up & you can do mostly whatever you like. The sound is Ok' not loud but it does have a Bass. & Treble adjustment which help, the sleep timer is ok too but they only thing I don't like about it is it has to be plugged regardless of having a battery pack still no big deal I have a lot of music on my I phone which I've been using to wake me up on cold mornings so It was never a deal breaker. Three things could be better an internal Ariel, louder & a remote but these aren't a big deal either their just my preference. Only reason I didn't give this slick full stars is the reasons above & having to buy the battery separately that's bad !. But If your looking for a great little radio that does live up to its description then stop wasting your time & buy this won't be disappointed I have high expectations & I'm not

5.0 out of 5 stars finally a truly portable internet radio that is a joy to use, 1 Feb. 2015
Mr P (Hitchin (UK)) - See all my reviews
i have been on the lookout for a portable internet radio that met all my needs and i think finally, this unit is the one. it really is a joy to use. bit of background. having tried many others from leading brands over the last few years, i had either returned them for refunds or sold them on. simple reason was - each of them seemed to be lacking in a single feature or features that the others had and vice versa, so there wasn't a single unit out there that gave me everything i wanted. below a brief list of other units i tried and why that unit was not for me

Pure Evoke Flow Portable DAB / FM / Internet Radio media streaming from pc would drop out occasionally and there would be long 'buffering' pauses between tracks
Roberts Revival iStream DAB+ UKW DAB Internet Radio the top down display really was difficult to use and fiddly if the radio was placed at anything other that waist height
Roberts Stream 83i Stereo DAB/FM/WiFi Internet Radio with 3 Way Speaker System display not fully dimmable during use. no good for bedside listening in a dark room
Roberts Stream93i DAB/DAB+/FM/ Internet Stereo Sound System with 3 Way Speaker System display not dimmable. too large to be truly portable.

now onto the pure f4. i'll list all the things that swung it for me and why i consider it my 'overall' package.

+ compact in size with a solid build quality
+ rechargeable battery (available separately) ensures this can be used as a true portable radio
+ display can be set to turn off completely after 7 seconds. this is a huge feature for me. this applies both while the radio is in use and also while the radio is in standby. something no other radio i tried offered. to me this is essential if you want to use as a bedside radio.
+ superb clean and 'pure' sound. prefect both for voice and music broadcasts
+ volume increments. there are enough 'steps' up and down to ensure you can get the volume just right and as low or high as you need.
+ great reception on each available mode. i'm not experienceing any dropouts on media streaming that i got on the original evoke flow. the software on the f4 has been improved and is more responsive in this area.

a couple of things that could be better but were just not big enough deal breakers for me

- no dedicated sleep button
- no dedicated preset buttons

5.0 out of 5 stars To make best use of it of course it is necessary to ..., 30 Jan. 2015
I have found this to be an informative and entertaining radio. To make best use of it of course it is necessary to integrate it into a home Wi-Fi network, no great problem using the printed user manual. Once this is done a worldwide choice of radio stations is available. Stations are initially "loaded" into the radio by logging ones PC into the pure.com website and then finding stations of personal interest e.g. if one wants "German" stations broadcasting "opera" selecting these key words gives a list relevant stations. One should not expect concert hall performance from this compact radio but for my purposes the speaker system leaves nothing to complain about.
Buying a battery pack for this radio makes it easily portable e.g. from kitchen to bathroom.
Another useful feature is the facility for recording programs/music by plugging a memory stick into the rear USB slot, although I put a 250 mm tail between the two, saves wear on the USB slot!
The screen display is bright and clear ,particularly helpful for those like me whose eyesight is not as good as it used to be. The display itself can be configured to switch off after 7 secs. so it is not left burning for hours when the radio is not in use.
Changing programs requires turning and depressing a knob on the front of the radio, not a great chore unless the radio is not within arms reach of your armchair. It would be nice to have a simple remote control for selecting 3 or 4 favourite programs.-- Some people are never satisfied! It's still an excellent radio and for my purposes worth a 5 star rating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant., 3 Sept. 2013
Took me a few minutes to get my head round all the various features but it's a lovely bit of kit.
Clear display. Very good sound.
Love the fact that I can choose favourites/stations on my tablet or PC and the radio is instantly updated. I do find the tablet/PC the easiest way to choose stations as the search feature of the radio is very basic. E.G. You can look for stations beginning with B but you are unable, as far as I can see, to refine the search to stations beginning BRI which is why the other methods of finding stations is easier for me.
That's my only grumble.
After a bit of experimentation the radio can now find all the music on my network drive should I wish to listen to it this way.
All in all one of my better buys.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great DAB Radio - not sure sure about the Pure Connect/Jongo element, 28 Dec. 2014
Is it fair to rate this device and knock a star or two off because of the Pure Connect app? In my opinion it is, therefore the 4 stars. The F4 itself is good, very good sound quality for the size. Screen is beautiful and I can see where the improvements have been made since my last Pure DAB purchase.

But the downside? I bought this ahead of other models namely for the internet enabled aspect of this device. Which is a great feature, as I have other Jongos in the house and I thought it would be ideal to be able to sync etc with my other Pure Jongo devices. But this is where the Jongo eco system falls down. The Pure Connect app is pretty bad. The user interface is far from slick and intuitive. It does not remember where you last where and you are defaulted to "discover" every time, which "coincidentally" then takes you to the Pure Service which one can pay £5 to stream music. The section of the app to get to the on demand radio is OK though thankfully, as accessing BBC podcasts was one of the main reasons for purchase.

It really would be 1 star if I was rating the app alone, but I'm not and I'm struggling to fault the DAB radio side of the F4 and you could say that the other elements are a bonus.

One last tip. If you are struggling with Pure Connect, I highly recommend the Bubble UPNP app. I use this to stream from my NAS to the Jongo eco system and its great. It should have really been used as a benchmark by Pure for the design of their app.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simplicity and Style in one - perfect for adults and teens alike., 21 Dec. 2014
I did a lot of research - we have an older Pure DAB radio in the kitchen that has served us well for over 5 years, so when it came to a radio for our newly-teen daughter, Pure was an option. Our friends invested in the Sonos, and use their own Spotify account that their daughter accesses. It was an option, but Sonos aren't cheap, and I didn't fancy having my daughter's musical tastes influencing what I would be recommended to listen to, having the same account!

So we plumped for the Pure Evoke, and I have to say I am so glad I did! Within fifteen minutes I had turned it on, got it connected to the wireless network by DHCP, the default router way to connect a device, so nothing needed entering other than the network code. DAB radio was working fine before this stage. Once connected to the wireless network, it asked me if I wanted to perform an update - I said yes, it did it. I must say at this stage, the flat touch control buttons beneath the LCD screen are lovely and responsive, even for my sausage fingers.

Next thing was, try the ability to play music from our stored library on the home network. I have a QNAP NAS box, with Twonky Media installed. It was a doddle. Once the Evoke was on the network, it saw the Twonky Media server, and I could browse the music via any of the usual Twonky ways - folder, artist, genre etc. It honestly couldn't have been easier.

Then over to Pure Connect's website, where I created an account for my daughter. It's the basic free account, so she gets to access all the internet radio stations, plus previews of music she can then choose to buy, using a home PC/tablet etc - anything that can access the Pure Connect website or can run the Pure Connect app. What I then did, and this is great for parents who still want a smidgen control over their teens spending habits, I added my own debit card information and topped up her account, so she could choose her own CDs for Christmas, rather than her parents getting it dreadfully wrong. Whilst the website stores your card details, to make any additional purchases you need to enter your 3 digit code on the back of your card again, which is what we will rely on - I trust her to not rifle through my wallet to get that number.

Next year we can give her the option - we can either pop more credit on her account, or if she decided that she'd like access to all the music to listen to then we could always upgrade her to the £60 per year option (£5 per month) which gives her access to Pure's library of music. The beauty of this system is that when/if she leaves home in the future, she has her own independent music account, should she wish to continue it. Music purchased can be downloaded anyway, so it's yours forever, but if she were to be on my account, then it would a nightmare in the future to split music collections up!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a great radio with a pure sound, 30 Jan. 2015
This is a great radio with a pure sound, with the possibility to listen to radio broadcasts from all over the world. The only drawback is Pure Flow wanting to make you pay for services you don't need or wanting you to upgrade your WiFi, although they are not the service providers, in a word interfering and bothering you while you're listening.