5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, make use of your old drives
Customer Video Review     Length:: 2:06 Mins
If like me you've upgraded your PC over the years and been left with a few hard drives knocking about then this is a brilliant little peripheral. Having upgraded my PC last year I not only had a spare SATA drive, I also had a nice new USB 3 port which hasn't yet had any USB 3 peripherals plugged into it.

Setup is really easy and...
Published 9 months ago by Reviewify.co.uk

2.0 out of 5 stars No hot-swapping, despite being advertised as supporting it.
Published 5 months ago by I. Rawlings

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, make use of your old drives, 21 Sep 2013
Reviewify.co.uk "Mark" (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
Length:: 2:06 Mins

Setup is really easy and there's no messing about, no software to installation, no tools required and no additional cables to buy as you get a power cable and USB 3 cable in the box. Just plug it into your USB drive (USB 2 or 3) and it's ready to use. It has a power switch on the back which is brilliant if you are only going to use this occasionally, it means you can leave it all plugged in without it using power, just switch it on when ready.

Using it is also easy, just take your SATA drive and pop it into the dock, you'll feel a small amount of resistance as it plugs in and then you hear the drive spin up. Couple of moments later and the PC will bring up the Autoplay 'what do you want to do...' box allowing you to use your SATA drives as you would a USB stick.

I've been using this with my Windows 7 PC, but as you'll see from my video I've also tested it with my Android tablet, the Asus EeePad Transformer Prime TF201 10.1 inch Tablet with Keyboard/Dock - Grey (Nvidia Tegra 3 Quad Core 1.3GHz, RAM 1GB, Storage 32GB eMMC, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Android 3.2). Again, there was nothing complicated to do, I just plugged it into the USB port, popped a drive in the dock and the tablet recognised it and treated it in the same way it would treat a USB stick.

The dock is designed to allow you to hot swap drives, you just pull out one drive and pop the second one in. This has a second advantage of ensuring the drive doesn't overheat as it's not enclosed.

Keep in mind there are two versions of the docking station, I have the single drive version which is fine for me as I wanted to use my spare hard drives to transport a lot of files around. If you're looking to clone drives I believe the two disk version adds that ability (check out the other reviews on this page for further info).

Really can't fault this, it does exactly what you need it to and is a very reasonable price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid performer, 22 Dec 2013
A. Camilleri - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Inateck Dual Two Bays USB 3.0 Hard Drives External Docking Station Support Online and Offline Clone Function for 2.5 Inch & 3.5 Inch HDD SSD SATA (SATA I/ II/ III) Support 2 x 4TB, Including USB 3.0 Cable and External Power Supply 12V 4A, Comaptible with Windows XP / Vista / 7/8 / Mac OS 10.8.4 [ Tool-free, Black ] (Electronics)
With the SSD market booming, I was on the lookout for a unit which would facilitate hard disk cloning and data migration. The Inateck grabbed my attention due to the fact that it also doubles as a docking (hot swap) station.

Pros: Does what it says on the tin

Cons: Offline cloning mode needs to be monitored, as the drives keep spinning even after the cloning process is complete... futher information in review.

Summary: After reading some concerning reviews regarding HDD heating/overheating I decided to run and see the results for myself. I tested the worse case scenario, cloning a full 2 TB hard disc using sector by sector clone in offline mode (drives keep on spinning) for 2 hours. To the touch the drives were getting hotter, yet logging temperature results using a Fluke meter revealed that the max temp of 49 degrees C peaked after 45 mins and remained steady for the remaining 75 mins. Electronic components are designed to handle much higher temperatures, so IMHO this should not be much of a concern. What really concerns me is leaving the hard drives attached and powered in "Offline" mode, which could cause unnecessary wear due to continuous spinning of the drives.

When the unit is used as a docking station (connected to a computer) the drive enters sleep mode if it is not accessed for a matter of a couple of minutes. When in sleep mode the drive's temperature does not increase, in fact the temperature returns to normal room temperature. (Tested on Windows 7, yet I will be testing this on Vista too should I have any requests).

Conclusion: The unit itself looks quite plasticky, yet it gets the job done. Insertion of hard drives is easy and straight forward. Moving the base unit while hard drives are connected (not recommended) does not cause the hard drives to disconnect, even though these could tilt forward or backward. This is due to the sturdy SATA connectors. There is no need to install any software to read files from the inserted drives, and hot swapping of drives does not result in errors (unless of course files are being transfered).

This unit has exceeded my expectations. The Inateck performs flawlessly, and in the few days of ownership I have cloned drives offline and copied thousands of files in online mode. I highly recommend this product.

Update 6th March 20014: I have this unit permanently connected to my computer and still use it on a regular basis. The Inateck is a consistent solid performer, and I am very satisfied with this purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inateck Cloning & Docking Station FDU3C-2., 10 Sep 2013
This is an excellent device.
I have a Dell desktop PC nearly 5 years old, which is still running well but the hard drive was showing signs of wear when monitored.
I used the Inateck (offline clone) to clone the 500GB hard drive onto a new 640GB drive, which when inserted into the PC now works perfectly.
The old drive can also still be accessed if necessary using the Inatek Docking function to USB.

I think that the Instruction Manual could be improved with a little more advice about the indicator lights on start-up and with some information about approximate time required to clone discs; such as :-
- Load source in bay A, target in bay B, turn on power.
- Power light and both bay indicator lights should be on. If not, switch off and check the seating of the disks in the connector sockets, then try again.
- Press and hold the clone button for about 3 seconds until the indicator light comes on. Then release the clone button and re-press quickly before the indicator light goes off. The 25% light should then start flashing immediately showing that cloning has started OK.

The time taken to clone my 500GB disk was about 1 hour 50 minutes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inateck Dual Two Bays USB 3.0 Hard Drives External Docking Station Support, 29 Jan 2014
The good: Brilliant docking station, works as usb 3.0, and can connect 2 HDD or SSD 2.5'' or 3.5'', can copy one disk to the other on it's own at the press of the button
The bad: the mechanism of inserting disks is a bit flimsy and prone to disaster, but so far no problems yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased, 29 Jan 2014
E. L. Skilton - See all my reviews
It does everything it promises, quickly and reliably.
Two hard drives into one USB port. Unobtrusive and it has its own power supply, easing the load on the computer

5.0 out of 5 stars Great gadget for the price, 2 Feb 2014
I bought the dual hard drive external docking station which I have found to be very useful and easy to use. If you require to clone a hard drive to a new larger drive you can either put both hard drives in the docking bay without connecting to the PC and by pressing a button for 3 seconds then once again, it will clone to your new drive.

It is easy then to partition the additional unallocated area of the new hard drive by using the Disk Manager within WINDOWS.

You also have the other option of installing the Cloning software CD which comes with the package which enables you to easily clone the hard drive in your PC to the new hard drive placed in the docking station.

You also have the third benefit of placing an older SATA Hard Drive in the docking station and recover data. Do note that this docking is only useful for the SATA Hard Drive, no use to the older PCs which has different connections.

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful little drive Dock/Caddy, 3 April 2014
Vincent Marsters "Vince" (Evesham) - See all my reviews
Length:: 9:09 Mins

This is a good little caddy for using internal 3.5" or 2.5" SATA Hard Drives or SSD units externally. It supports hot swapping too so no need to power off to swap over drives. This is for the single drive unit (with a light blue stripe around the dock entrance)

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything that's claimed for it!, 17 Jan 2014
From the cardboard box to the USB cable, everything about this product exudes style and quality. The stylish black gloss packaging excites; the quality of the printing and clarity of English text invite you to expect something special, and the Docking Station inside does not disappoint. The handsome lightweight ABS plastic is precision moulded, with a tasteful semi-matt finish. The USB 3.0 and DC power connectors are quality components; there is even an on/off switch with a pleasing positive action, and the 1m USB 3.0 cable is of matching rugged durability. This is oriental manufacturing at its finest.

In operation, the docking station lives up to expectations - it does everything that's claimed for it in the online product description. I rarely, if ever, write reviews on Amazon but I was so impressed with this product that I just had to share my enthusiasm. At the RRP it would be a good buy; at the current price it is a not-to-be missed bargain. Well done Amazon, and extremely well done Inateck!

2.0 out of 5 stars No hot-swapping, despite being advertised as supporting it., 24 Jan 2014
I. Rawlings - See all my reviews
First of all, I'm not using this entirely as intended, I'm using it to plug two drives into a Linux box to create RAID-protected backups, I'm doing all this manually without the use of any provided software as it's for Windows. While the dock works fine, if you're thinking of getting one for a similar use, be aware that you can't add or remove drives cleanly with this -- when you disconnect or add a drive, the other drive also gets disconnected then re-added so you can't hot-swap with it despite this being advertised as a feature. That's no real problem for my intended use but if you want to use it for something similar or to provide additional storage, bear in mind that you have to cleanly remove any drives in the dock before you swap one drive in or out.

Note: this was originally a 3-star review but after writing it, I received an email from the vendor telling me that the problem with the other drive being disconnected when you attach or remove a drive is not in fact a mistake but is deliberate design intended to protect your data, therefore could I please change my review to 4 or 5 stars! There is no way that a disc being kicked off the system without warning could ever protect data and I can't see anyone designing a system to do this deliberately so one star off for a disingenuous PR response.

(later edit) The vendor has since altered the description to remove the claim to support hot-swapping, although their ham-fisted attempts to explain it all away haven't gone down well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product from Inateck, does exactly what it says on the tin!, 30 Aug 2013
Over the past few years I have owned many HDD docks, ranging from poorly built, not working products to those also in a league of their own with brilliant finishes and top quality parts. When I received the Inateck docking station in the mail, I was impressed at first glance. It looked like a sturdy, well built product with the added bonus that it was USB3.0 and also had a clone feature that could be used offline.

Using the dock was an effortless process, you simply plug the dock into a USB port on your computer, hit the power button and the hard drives will instantly show up in My Computer. The clone function is similarly easy simple to use and full instructions on how to do so are included in the box that the product arrives in!

Now normally I do a positive and negative section at the end of my reviews, but on this rare occasion I really am finding it hard to find a negative point. As much as I try to find one there really doesn't seem to be any flaws with the design, or even the product itself, and for that reason I think this product is worth every penny of the 38.99 it costs over at Amazon.co.uk.

So if you are looking for a HDD docking station, but also the capability of cloning drives if one happens to blow on you, then look no further than the Inateck USB3.0 Dual SATA HDD Docking Station with Clone Functionality.

Features:

Supports offline duplicate function, all data or system files copy into your target hard disk by pressing one simple button.
Accept 2 x 3.5″ or 2.5″ SATA HDD plug-in one compact unit, data can be transferred between 2.5″ and 3.5″ SATA HDD.
Two hard drives can read & write at the same time
The dual bay docking station connects to the computer via USB3.0
SuperSpeed (5Gbps) / high-speed (480 Mbps) / full-speed (12 Mbps)
SATA III & SATA II & SATA I support
Supports 4TB Hard Drive
Power LED indicator
Supports Windows XP/Vista/7/8 (32 / 64-bit), MAC 10.8.0 or later.

Package Contents: