4.0 out of 5 stars A 4.5 Star Debut
Published 18 months ago by Sprootie

3.0 out of 5 stars rein in the stars guys
A nice debut by a band whose ifluences are very plain upon listening. If you like Travis and coldplay etc then this will appeal to you. Its no way a 5 star album though, but better than most of the X factor dross out there.
Published 15 months ago by Mike Hunt

4.0 out of 5 stars A 4.5 Star Debut, 17 Jun 2013
This review is from: In A Perfect World (Audio CD)
I've been looking forward to this album for quite a while. I first heard about Kodaline through the BBC Sound Of 2013 poll, and I've listened to the EPs that they've released, which all impressed me so I was naturally looking forward to this debut effort. Kodaline have a very Mumford and Sons feel to them, which isn't a bad thing necessarily, although they don't really add anything more to that folk-pop formula.
The album starts with 'One Day', which is a great opener, followed by their three best known tracks, which each had an EP, namely; 'All I Want', 'Love Like This', and 'High Hopes'. All three of these are great folky songs, and I could probably listen to them all day and not really tire of them. 'All I Want' is a quiet, heartfelt song, and is then followed up by there best known song, 'Love Like This', which has been getting plenty of radio attention lately.
My favourite track by Kodaline before this album was 'High Hopes'. I'm a big fan of the frontman, Steve Garrigan', vocals on this track, and the accompaniment slowly builds as the track goes on, before being reduced to just an acoustic guitar and gentle vocals.
After these opening four tracks we get into the unknown, and I'm pleased that the rest of the album carries on as the album started. 'Brand New Day' is a good track, with Garrigan singing, 'Just think of all the places we could be, I'll be waiting', and seems to be singing about being somewhere else rather than his home town. Some of the next tracks are good but not great, such as 'All Comes Down', which was just a bit too full-on for me, with a choir and Garrigan' falsetto. 'Way Back When' is a great track to finish the album with. The mandolin just seems to fit Garrigan singing about a girl from the past.
In review, Kodaline don't bring anything cutting edge with this album, but even so it's a worthy debut. It's a great album to listen to, it's wonderfully melodic and easy on the ears. My favourite track is 'High Hopes', and this is certainly an album that I'll put on in the background quite a lot. Sadly, I don't think it's quite a five star album, although it's slightly better than 4 stars, 4.5 is probably fair. Definitely worth a listen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful discovery, 29 Jun 2013
This review is from: In A Perfect World (Audio CD)
I was following the Isle of Wight Festival via its website, when Kodaline came on screen. I'd never heard of them before (although it turned out that my daughter had), but was immediately impressed, and started researching them. It was then I found out that their first album was being released the next day - a must have for me! Such a young band to have been going so long, and that's what gives them the edge. Steve Garrigan's voice can be soulful in one song, and bouncing in the next, and the whole band can REALLY sing. Their songs are remarkably well written, and their album immediately went to Number 1 in the charts, deservedly so. I look forward to hearing more of this very gifted and likeable band; yet another fine band from Ireland!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Voice, Amazing Music, Amazing Future, 21 Jun 2013
P. Wagg "wonderfulwaggy" (Derby UK) - See all my reviews
I got the free artist lounge EP a few weeks ago, and anyone considering this album could always try that first, like me you'll probably buy the whole album. Of course after Glastonbury 2013, I expect Kodaline to be more widely known.
This music really suits my tastes, which I suppose are quite varied, good dog-walking music. Another reviewer compared them to Mumford & Sons, I think they are another Cold Play and a couple of years down the line could overtake them.

If you are buying the deluxe album, it is cheaper top buy the non deluxe version, and buy the extra 3 tracks separately.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 4 Nov 2013
Michael A. Clark "Mr. Hoboken" (Londonderry Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In A Perfect World (Audio CD)
I never heard of Kodaline until I heard Brand New Day on the radio. Even then I couldn't make out who they were. I did some searching in amazon and found them. I don't normally buy a CD for one song but I thought what the heck and took a chance and ordered "In A Perfect World" for "Brand New Day". I'm glad I made that choice. This is one brilliant CD coming from an Irish band. This is a fantastic CD. Great songs, very well written, very well arranged. I love the way the songs go from mellow to a good up-beat sound. I'm usually not into Irish bands either when you take into consideration U2, the Script, and we can't forget Jedward. None of these bands have anything on Kodaline. This is one band that should go far. So step aside U2 and let some good talent come through because these boys are the best of the best of Irish bands. I received this CD about 3 days ago and must have listened to it at least 20 times already. That's how great this CD is. I highly recommend this CD if you're looking for something new and interesting, this is the CD to get. Brilliant work boys, brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fresh, 25 Jun 2013
This review is from: In A Perfect World (MP3 Download)
Is it folk? Is it Indie? Is it Alternative? One things for sure its rich sounds and melodies are worth it all.

4.0 out of 5 stars kodaline-in a perfect world, 3 Mar 2014
having looked at this album on amazon it came to my attention that there are some pricing issues. why would you pay 15 pounds for three extra songs on the album when you get the ordinary album for a fiver without the three extra tracks. are these extra tracks so good that they are worth TEN pounds extra? excellent band but come on amazon pricey or what?

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent album, 24 Jun 2013
This review is from: In A Perfect World (MP3 Download)
one of the best albums i have purchased for a long time.
every song is quality, i would strongly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars ... their debut album certainly sets the bar at a pretty decent height, 14 Sep 2014
This review is from: In A Perfect World (Audio CD)
Kodaline are an Irish group and their debut album certainly sets the bar at a pretty decent height. Their sound can probably be best described as a mixture of Mumford and Sons and Coldplay, with a tendency towards both of those groups love for anthemic songs. Singer Steve Garrigan has a very similar voice to Chris Martin (actually probably a bit better) and the group deliver some great songs with a passion and energy. Definitely a group to watch and I hope that they get the exposure they deserve.

5.0 out of 5 stars A nearly perfect world, 20 Feb 2014
P. Mayor (Warwick, U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In A Perfect World (Audio CD)
I came across Kodaline on European MTV in a hostel in Gdansk. When I investigated further back in the UK, the standard of tracks on this album was so high that I couldn't remember which track I'd seen on tv. So generally high in fact that I broke my normal habits and actually bought a whole CD!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great debut album, 19 Jan 2014
This review is from: In A Perfect World (MP3 Download)
A great debut album reminiscent of a few other bands but does stand out on its own merits. worth buying especially if a deal price is available.

In A Perfect World