4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and works well on Win 8.1
Inexpensive but works well. I bought this to recover some old files off 15 year old floppy disks. Works very well on Win 8.1. A little noisy in use but this is not a big deal. So far everything has been read perfectly allowing me to store some old but valuable files on to a new archive. Being picky, I gave 4 stars just for the noisy operation. very happy.
Published 15 months ago by dg

3.0 out of 5 stars This External Floppy Drive works with Windows 8.1
Published 13 months ago by Mrs Margot Mitchell

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and works well on Win 8.1, 29 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Proxima Direct® External USB Portable Floppy Disk Drive 1.44MB FDD for Laptop PC - Compatible with Windows 98/SE/2000/ME/XP/VISTA/Windows 7 (Electronics)

3.0 out of 5 stars This External Floppy Drive works with Windows 8.1, 5 Feb. 2014
I bought this because I got rid of my desktop PC and found some old 3.5" floppy disks. There were no instructions just the product. I plugged it into my laptop and although it beeped when the USB was connected, my computer didn't recognise it. It took me a few minutes to work out how to get it to work. I realised it may be because I use Windows 8.1. So I went into control panel, then into Hardware & Sound and found the item and ran troubleshooter. I then found the item on my laptop and it works fine. I was able to transfer my files and even format the floppy disk.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than other drives., 7 Sept. 2014
I decided to purchase this drive after reading other reviews where people confirmed that it supports 720Kb diskettes. Most USB floppy drives can only read and write 1.38Mb formatted disks, but this one could even read an old single sided floppy (360Kb formatted).
It is very silent, it produces less noise than other internal or external drives and it's also faster. I performed a virus scan on the same floppy disk using this and another USB drive. It took almost one minute less when using this one.
I've tested it on Windows XP, Linux and Android. It worked in every system without installing any driver.

5.0 out of 5 stars When you thought you'll never use drives A & B again, 11 Sept. 2013
The drive just slid into the USB2.0 port sweetly and appeared quickly on the 'My Computer' folder replete with floppy disk icon at A (and B when with an existing floppy drive). The floppy disk was accepted with a positive click. The drive contents appeared correct and available at the icon. The release botton was also positive and the return of the disk clean and quick.

There is nothing I can say wrong about this drive. It works very well indeed. All I cannot say is how long it lasts but at about £5 the obsolescence need not worry.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works just fine, 30 Dec. 2013
A. Joy (Dorset, UK) - See all my reviews
What can you say about something that is as described, was received promptly (but only in a jiffy bag), undamaged and does the job? Had some discs from about 20 years ago which it read (and wrote to) without difficulty.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly., 4 Feb. 2014
Item arrived quickly, I opened it, I plugged it in, I inserted a disk and it worked. It simply did exactly what it was supposed to. Brilliant.

1.0 out of 5 stars Failed out the box. Waste of money, 16 Dec. 2014
I only bought this as a backup item for work, when I needed it on a job months after purchase it's never worked out the box. Waste of time. It's hard work getting hold of a floppy drive on the high street these days. £30 at maplin was my only option,I wasn't impressed. Fair enough it's cheap and nasty but it should at least work.

4.0 out of 5 stars Exactly as expected, 2 Feb. 2014
Works as per standard spec so should not be disappointed and price was reasonable. Nothing else to add really then.

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful product, 30 Jan. 2014
Very pleased with purchase as we had no way of accessing files we knew were on disc saved us a lot of heartache

5.0 out of 5 stars Proxima Direct, 17 Jan. 2014
Item is exactly how described. As the advert says "Does exactly what it says on the tin." Thank you very much