5.0 out of 5 stars easy reading
You will love this if you enjoy philipa Gregory or similar writers . A good read biographical style so easy to follow
Published 3 months ago by Mrs. E. J. Boulton-hughes

2.0 out of 5 stars Not my cup of tea
First, it's worth noting that this is a re-release under a different name of The Forbidden Queen by D. L. Bogdan.

Published 3 months ago by Isis

2.0 out of 5 stars Not my cup of tea, 21 April 2014
Isis (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Tudor Princess (Kindle Edition)

Unfortunately, The Tudor Princess wasn't my cup of tea. I picked up this book because I was intrigued by the premise. Whilst historical fiction on the Tudors seems to be everywhere these days, novels about Margaret Tudor, elder sister of King Henry VIII and Queen of Scotland, are few and far between. So I was quite interested in the idea of reading a novel about Margaret's life and her struggles.

The choice of pacing and the book's style of telling instead of showing were what stopped me from really enjoying it. Margaret expresses sadness on one page and excitement the next, a happy event occurs and a page later we've skipped a year and tragedy occurs (I'm avoiding giving examples as I don't want to give spoilers). I felt like the events of Margaret's life were being skimmed over, not explored in enough depth. As a reader I simply wasn't given the opportunity to care for any of these characters. That just doesn't move me, that doesn't tug at my heartstrings or make me feel in any way invested in what happens to these characters at all.When exciting or moving events occur off-screen, so to speak, and are related back to us the readers in a one line summary, you're basically cutting out the heart of the story. This is the meat of the plot! A writer wants to get their readers engaged in the events and characters of the story, and readers want to read a story they care about. When the events occur "off-screen" they lose a great deal of immediacy and feeling, and even worse when events are summarised and characters go from one emotion to the next and months and years pass in one page. In my opinion this bad pacing and telling rather than showing are together largely the reason why I didn't enjoy The Tudor Princess.

Put that together with a few other issues such as Bonnette's spelling out of accents, the blatant hindsight of the dream of Margaret's destiny, and the fact that Margaret herself came off as frivolous, selfish, and unlikeable, and this just wasn't for me. I'm sure the real Margaret could indeed be self-centred and insensitive, like anyone else, but I'm equally sure she was more complex and interesting than she's portrayed here. That said, others will no doubt enjoy The Tudor Princess, it just didn't gel with me.

1.0 out of 5 stars I wish the review pointing out this was a re-release had been written earlier!, 24 April 2014
Maggie Kelly (Moseley, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Tudor Princess (Kindle Edition)
A new title. A new author's name. A new cover.

Yet EXACTLY the same book as one I'd purchased previously - The Forbidden Queen by D. L. Bogdan.

Why do this?

I've sent this one back for a refund and I won't be bothering with titles from *either* of these split personalities again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Just awful, 18 May 2014
This review is from: The Tudor Princess (Kindle Edition)
Awful, I couldn't finish this - I 'canna' understand why anyone would give this a 5 star rating and 'dinna' believe how readers could compare this with other historical writers like Gregory, Weir or Chadwick - can now see why it was only 1 to download on kindle.

5.0 out of 5 stars easy reading, 25 April 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 11 April 2014
ElaineG (uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Tudor Princess (Kindle Edition)
I thoroughly enjoyed this read. It is the story of Margaret Tudor, sister of Henry VIII, sent at a young age to Scotland as wife of King James IV. It gives a fantastic glimpse into how Royals at the time lived - the feasting, the jousting, the clothes and jewels, as well as the intrigues and plotting. It is a story of political danger, war, ambition, betrayal and bloody retribution. Margaret herself is determined to act in a way that will bring lasting peace between England and Scotland and is torn between the two countries for much of the read, until eventually she does truly settle into her role as Margaret Queen of Scots. Following the death of James IV she throws herself into supporting her son, James V, to secure his position as King.

She was a wonderfully complex character to read about, on the one hand she was an intelligent, brave stateswoman, a true Queen, yet on the other hand she had a strong desire just to be married and loved as a normal woman. She let her heart rule her head so much in this regard that it led to some disastrous romantic choices following the death of King James IV. She could be incredibly selfish at times, totally oblivious to the needs of other and so single minded was she in her support of her son, that she literally totally forgot about her own daughter for much of the time. I chuckled at her never ending love for fashion and marvelled at how easy she could be won over just by the promise of a few new gowns.

This was a really good read, that I got totally lost in and had a hard time putting down. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars As good as Gregory, 12 July 2014
This review is from: The Tudor Princess (Kindle Edition)
Filled with danger, romance and intrigue, The Tudor Princess is every bit as good as the best of Phillippa Gregory. Taking Margaret Tudor from her childhood and the reign of Henry VII, through her marriage to King James and get struggles to protect the crown for her young son, it will thrill you and break your heart in turn. A must read for all fans of historical fiction.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 10 July 2014
good book

5.0 out of 5 stars The Tudor Princess, 8 July 2014
This review is from: The Tudor Princess (Kindle Edition)
This is the first time I have read anything by Darcey Bonnette. I will be reading her work again very soon. I could not put this book down.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love her, 8 July 2014
Darcey Bonnette takes you into the Tudor court. I love her work

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good story well documented about a little known princess, 5 July 2014
This review is from: The Tudor Princess (Kindle Edition)
Very good story well documented about a little known princess .Very strong character and good description of the attitude within the courts of England and Scotland

The Tudor Princess