4.0 out of 5 stars Good but a few things left unfinished
This is the final book in the "Wool" trilogy. Set sometime in the not that distant future, the residents of Silos 17 & 18 are struggling with all the new information they have gained about themselves and their past. Back in Silo One Douglas and his sister Charlotte are trying to change the pre-ordained future for all those living in the Silos.
This book draws...
Published 17 months ago by DJF

3.0 out of 5 stars This is the third and Im disapointed
Published 18 months ago by Ginger Witch

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but a few things left unfinished, 11 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Dust: (Wool Trilogy 3) (Hardcover)
This book draws together the threads from the first two books to lead towards the future for the Silo residents. This book will make no sense unless you have read "Wool" and "Shift". Although I enjoyed this book very much, I felt that a lot of questions were left unanswered and there were some practicalities which the author glossed over without actually addressing. I am not convinced that the world outside the Silos as glimpsed by Douglas & Charlotte in "Shift" is at all likely in reality. Would the world regenerate in this matter away from the Silos, how come the people outside died but animals seem to have survived? There are numerous questions like this which I still have at the end of this book which leaves me feeling slightly irritated. Not all of the questions raised in the first two books are answered in the final one. This almost caused me to downgrade my review to a 3 star but not quite.
Juliette is still the heroine; feisty and pig-headed who likes to get her own way but makes plenty of mistakes along the way. Some of those mistakes cost many lives and it is something which marks Juliette's character, as you would expect. Jimmy (Solo) from Silo 17 develops into a man in this book and you can see that he will carry forward the future of these people. This book contains many flawed characters which is great to read - after all who is a perfect human?
This trilogy of books contains much which is very believable. It doesn't take much to imagine people feeling and acting in the way the characters in this book do.The progression of technology could conceivably progress to include what the author has imagined. This isn't a science fiction book with impossible and fantastic inventions and events. This is a book which is not that far away from believeable.
I have very much enjoyed this trilogy of books. All three books have been good reads with solid plots and characters. I shall certainly be looking out for future work by this author.

3.0 out of 5 stars This is the third and Im disapointed, 2 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Dust: (Wool Trilogy 3) (Wool Trilogy Series) (Kindle Edition)
I was a little disappointed in this book the third in the series, the others kept me gripped right the way through. This one felt like the author took the money and ran, in comparison to the others I felt the plot line was weak and went nowhere. This is not a stand alone book, you need to read the others first. I was so looking forward to it that I paid a lot for it, my advise wait for it to be in the sale

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit lower tension although still exciting Silo world, 14 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Dust: (Wool Trilogy 3) (Hardcover)
"Dust" by Hugh Howey is the third part of Silo Trilogy, SF dystopian series in some way similar to the Hunger games series.

Therefore this novel should be looked as part of a whole, and certainly is recommended to read the first two parts of series before its read.
Its two prequels introduced readers to underground Silo where remained human survivors live, one safe shelter that is also sort of prison due to people inability to exit to the outer toxic world.

For those already familiar with story, in the aftermath of the uprising described in its prequels, the people of Silo 18 are learning to live with a new order. Some of them will accept the changes while others are in fear due to lack of control of their fate.
Although the battle has been won, the war for Silo is just beginning because it's still in danger and Jules who want it to destroy it have to be stopped...

As I already mentioned, this novel should be looked at as the part of the series. The series introduced nice and believable characters, and good tension that encourages the reader for further reading.
As both previously released novels, this SF dystopian piece is also well-written and exciting read that is easily read.

Although, "Dust", if viewed separately from the series, somehow lost some of series tension probably because of the characters who reached their development peak and nothing new can be learned about the fate of "lost" silos, or of their engineering in general, although reader can still enjoy in author's intriguing world.

The end could be also disappointment for some series' fans because this novel didn't completely concluded the story in same time leaving the possibility that one day this story will be continued...

As someone who enjoyed Silo series I can fully recommend you to read this novel together with two of its prequels and enjoy (for the last time?) in Howey's well-described post apocalyptic world of silos...
Especially if you're fan of post apocalyptic literature and science fiction in general, I suggest giving chance to Silo trilogy, you'll most certainly like it.

3.0 out of 5 stars fairly mundane conclusion, 18 Mar. 2014
Reasonable conclusion to an at times excellent trilogy. It feels a little like Howey is just running out of steam by the end. A couple of neat little twists, but generally it's fairly predictable as the series ambles to a conclusion. Entertaining enough, but still I can't help feeling that some of the earlier promise has gone unfulfilled.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good solid ending - but not quite spectacular, 30 July 2014
A highly readable conclusion to the trilogy, but it's obvious Howey was working himself hard to finish up: it doesn't flow with quite the surprising bits and alien-ness of the earlier books, part of whose joy came from experiencing the very truncated world of the silo dwellers through their eyes and emotional biases.

By this time we're heavily invested in the main character, and Howey doesn't have a choice in what she does, really - a different ending would've meant too many bad folk not getting their just desserts - but the book still works, and it's satisfying enough. Perhaps its most commendable point is how a "good" character ended up "bad" through no real fault of his own.. but continued being "bad" because of his investment in the system he was part of. Which, let's face it, is how a great many people go bad.

Overall, not quite as absorbing as Wool and Shift, but a good solid read and clearly into that 0.3% of Kindle novels (beyond the third Standard Deviation) that are worth more than the time you put into them.

4.0 out of 5 stars dark depressing hopeless, very good, 26 Jun. 2014
I liked this trilogy more and more as it went along. Its a pretty depressing view of both the near future and of mankind. As much as I hate happy endings these three books constantly failed to deliver anything but misery and left me craving for something to cheer. The characters weren't particularly likable and there aren't really any hero's or much love interest but its still a book I couldn't put down. I had more hope in their future then they had. There's a neat twist about the cause of the continued barrenness of the earth that I like but I felt this wasn't exploited into the ending enough, which in the end was a little too convenient.
If your the sort of person that worries about new technology going terribly wrong then this alarmist tale about nanotechnology will add strength to your beliefs but if on the other hand you see there is little evidence that it ever does, then its an entertaining tale about society driven by irrational human fears.

5.0 out of 5 stars A trilogy I couldn't put down, 30 July 2014
No spoilers I promise. A brilliant journey, each book contains a story, not immediately nor easily identified as being interconnected, and many surprising twists occur. This isn't some cheap, leave the reader frustrated over every cliffhanger, never fully delivering story, but an enthralling path to see what will happen next. I particularly enjoy authors who use life's joys and despair, which has been used very effectively to give these books real value-not some fairy tale fantasy but a gritty book that looks at human nature. A new author to me, one I will be keen to follow.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 4 Mar. 2014
Well, I had to read it, because I had started the journey and had to finish it. Wool was a great book, Shift carried it forward, but wasn't quite so good, this one just went through the motions for me. Lots of pointless padding, which I found annoying. This trilogy started with a great idea, but I have to say that for me, in the end, it wasn't properly developed. I didn't even feel that all the loose ends were properly tied up. I won't go into detail in case I spoil it for anyone else. Maybe I've just not understood. But overall, I was very disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fitting Finale to Silo Trilogy, 11 Jan. 2015
'm a big fan of this trilogy (although you could call it book 9 as the first two were released in novella segments). I think the first book in the series, Wool, is perhaps the most enjoyable book I've read in the last five years. The second installment, Shift, was strong, but for me not quite up there with the first. This is the conclusion, and while I won't quite give it five stars it comes pretty close.

It is a very satisfying conclusion to the post-apocalyptic world of people living in an underground silo (reasons unclear). But Hugh Howey demonstrates the cruelty and beauty of life in equal measures, sometime verging towards too much sentimentality (a pet puppy) and other times showing scant regard for readers emotional investment in some characters. But I liked that, life is tough and you grasp the moments of beauty as you can.

His characters are not faultless heroes, and there is plenty of reflection at the end on whether the choices made were the right ones.

Not all plot threads are resolved, which is fine, not sure if that is due to editing, just a reflection of life, or a careful way of leaving the door open for him to return to this world in a future book or series. But there were a couple of threads of plot I would like to have seen developed.

So not quite five stars, but pretty damn close, and I recommend the trilogy to anyone who enjoys a bit of dystopian sci-fi.

3.0 out of 5 stars An anticlimatic end, 22 April 2014
David McCrae (Banchory/ Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dust: (Wool Trilogy 3) (Paperback)
The previous two books had set the scene nicely for what I hoped to be a thrilling finale. With a few dramatic events aside, I found the book slightly underwhelming and wondered whether Howey was not quite sure how he wanted to finish it. The book built itself up to the point where two or three endings were possible yet I felt that the one that Howey eventually chose was the most disappointing of these. Nonetheless it was still a enjoyable enough read but felt it didn't match the high standards of the previous novels.