5.0 out of 5 stars Sheer joy
This is the debut album from a great band from across the pond and has become one of the favourites of the year. What first struck me was the unassuming way the songs just sneak up on you, in a nonchalant way. Then I realised they didn't really remind me of any other band, which is extremely rare these days. They play a kind of Americanised take on British indie-rock,...
Published 21 months ago by Big Twink

3.0 out of 5 stars Great songs, lovely warmth, but why not 4 or 5 stars?...
I agree this is a superb album and whilst it's not been produced too cleanly, listening to the mix on headphones, I do find the production a little muddy. Using the Thunder Runner as an example, the lead guitar, bass and vocals have all been placed in the central position with only accompanying instruments taking the far left and far right channels.

This is a...
Published 15 months ago by Mr. C. A. Smith

3.0 out of 5 stars Great songs, lovely warmth, but why not 4 or 5 stars?..., 15 Feb. 2014
Mr. C. A. Smith (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ride Out The Dark (Audio CD)

This is a shame because it would have sounded better in my view with a bit more of a wider sound scape. It seems they have relied a bit too much on the reverb to create the space in the sound with much of the action happening out in front. Maybe the producer is a bit of a John Leckie fan maybe? (Google the words 'John Leckie' and 'muddy')

It's been mastered a little too hot as well. A bit more dynamic punch and headroom wouldn't have gone amiss too - but hey ho, I suppose this is the 21 Century where engineers just can't help brick wall limiting everything.

Otherwise I can't say any more than what has already been written by others.

Great Band, but they should definitely choose a different producer on the next record!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent album., 11 Dec. 2013
Andy (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ride Out the Dark (MP3 Download)
It's rare that I buy an album where there are no tracks that I will routinely jump past. It's even rarer that I bother writing even a brief review like this. I won't even attempt to describe the sound/style of this band - judge for yourself - but this was my album of the Summer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Album, 28 April 2014
M. John "jerrykan" (Dorset, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ride Out The Dark [VINYL] (Vinyl)
I'd heard one track on Radio 6 and immediately loving its loping bass and superb guitar interplay I ordered a vinyl copy of the album.
If you like Galaxie 500, Beat Happening or Band of Susans I highly recommend this.

Ride Out The Dark
Ride Out The Dark by Houndstooth (Audio CD - 2013)