4.0 out of 5 stars this is a miracast that works
Put simply this seems to be the price breakpoint things start working out of the box. Having had an opportunity to test the 20/30 quid devices they are all a bit hot and miss. This works out of the box with the MS Surface Pro 2 and the nexus 5. Happy to answer questions of you have them.

[...]
Published 12 months ago by Mr. D Field

3.0 out of 5 stars May have compatibility issues.
Published 14 months ago by Tommy Dooley

4.0 out of 5 stars this is a miracast that works, 12 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Actiontec SBWD100A01 ScreenBeam Pro Wireless Display Receiver for WiDi Laptops/ Miracast Devices (Personal Computers)

[...]

3.0 out of 5 stars May have compatibility issues., 7 Dec. 2013
Tommy Dooley (London, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am not much of a computer geek but liked the idea of using this to stream films etc straight on to my television. In theory this is a simple and effective product but in practice in can be an effort to make work. To install the receiver you just plug in the power chord (supplied) and the HDMI cable. That is if you have a HDTV, then turn it all on and wait for the `Ready to connect' screen to appear on the HDTV.

To connect using WiDi you have to find the Internet Wireless display on what ever device you are using and launch; which can be done by Windows search. It will then scan for available receivers and if your neighbour is lucky will get their television instead. It then has to synch, as you would expect. Then the receiver details a PIN this will need to be entered onto the WiDi device. You can also connect using Wi-Fi Maracsat which is also fairly easy.

Now I got mine to work with the HDTV with some help from a friend, but I have read the reviews elsewhere and it is clear that there are compatibility issues. Actiontec does have a good web site and also you can download the latest ScreenBeam Pro firmware from them. Some have also reported issues around distance of the device from the TV (no more than 30 feet) being a problem, my front room is not really big enough to cause a problem and so mine is actually working, albeit with a smaller picture and I have been unable to alter that even on my TV, so not as fab as I was hoping. It does appear to have had issues for some users but mine has not been that bad, hence my rating and it is better seeing films on the big screen rather than streamed to my tablet so all in all quite a good little; product, and to be fair it looks ok too and can be sort of hidden to one side of the TV so I feel is not a bad product at all.

1.0 out of 5 stars Hard work, 7 Feb. 2014
Came with laptop as a promotion, I can see why. It was free but the time trying to set it up I'll NEVER get back. Very disappointing.

1.0 out of 5 stars NVIDIA AND ACTIONTEC..LIARS?, 9 Jan. 2014
DIRECT QUOTE from Actiontecs datasheet for this product.

Compatible with Nvidia Shield

ScreenBeam Pro is also compatible with the new Nvidia
Shield handheld game console. Now, you can play all of
your favorite Android and PC games on the big screen. You
can even run the most popular game emulators available
on Google Play to relive your retro gaming days with all
those older titles from your personal collection. All of this
with extremely low screen-to-screen latency (<70ms) for
full visual accuracy.

So I buy it.. I find out I can't stream my pc games "unable to stream PC games while Miracast is active". I log on to the Nvidia forums to get a solution and receive replies stating that this was never possible in the first place.

Actiontec specifically state in black and white that it IS possible AND Nvidia have not only recommended this prouct but stated said fuctionality in expo videos I feel BOTH companies are misinforming the public.

Should it turn out there is a solution and that I have been mislead by my forum replies then I will alter this review.. however as it stands I am FURIOUS.

ATM ...SHIELD OWNERS DO NOT BUY THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT.. 09/01/14.. I have been in contact with NVIDIA via online chat and they have CONFIRMED that wireless display pc game streaming has NEVER worked.. AT ALL.... MIRACAST IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH GAMING, but did not explain why both companies seem to be saying somthing that isn't true, although I have been told they will get back to me... BUT WHEN? The situation is just getting dirtier and I'm getting unhappier by the second.

EDIT.. 28/10/14 As there is a MK2 shield now on the market, although I have no idea of it's functionality, I must clarify that the above review refers to the MK1 Shield

3.0 out of 5 stars Very Specialised. Just About OK, 28 Dec. 2013
Richard Allen (Wellington, Somerset) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If you've found this device by searching for a product that wirelessly connects a laptop with WiDi to an HD TV, then this will be what you want. If you want anything that's a variation on that theme, then this is not for you. It's a one trick pony, and nothing else, which makes you wonder how big the market might be. It's a fiddle to get going, but with the use of the firm's website, I managed to get there. The down side for me was the same issue as others have reported; that it doesn't display to the full screen size. I had a fiddle with my screen aspect, but couldn't resolve it, which was pretty disappointing. In summary it just about does what it is sold to do, but no more. Only buy if you know exactly what you want and are pretty sure this is it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fiddly but functional, 2 Oct. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If you really need a wireless feed of the picture from your laptop or Android to a larger full HD screen and don't mind cropping and a small response delay then this could be for you.

It is fiddly to set up, and many people have reported problems. Make sure that you have a compatible device, software won't save you if you don't.

Personally, it wasn't worth the hassle.

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy provided your device is compatible, 24 Nov. 2013
Mr. T. Anderson "onlyconnect" - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This little guy has one role in life: to let you connect wirelessly to a screen. Call it wireless projection if you prefer.

I unpacked the box to find two power supplies, one I guess USA only, the other with adaptors including UK. The device itself is a small square thing, about 75mm x 75mm and about 15mm high. It has HDMI out, power in, and a USB connection.

There is no documentation of any use in the box as I received it; just a compliance notice and a print-out in tiny characters of the GNU General Public License. Thanks. However there is full documentation on the Actiontec web site.

Fortunately I did not need any. Connect HDMI to TV using supplied cable, connect power, switch to that input, and there is an on-screen display telling you how to connect using Windows 8.

I got out my Surface 2 (the ARM version running Windows RT) and tapped Devices, Project, and then Add wireless display. It found the Actiontec device, which then displayed a code. I entered the code and was up and running, with a second screen at 1920 x 1080 displayed on the TV.

The only annoyance is that the Windows desktop is slightly cropped on my TV. If that happens to you, fiddling with your TV settings should fix it, or if you are using Intel WiDi you can adjust in the WiDi app. In my case, I was able to fix it by changing the display setting on my Samsung TV from 16.9 to "Just scan".

The range is up to 30 feet according to the manual.

The Surface 2 actually has a micro HDMI port, but wireless is far more convenient. It is handy for things like showing photos, presentations, or watching video. Audio is transmitted as well of course.

I also tried it with a Sony Xperia T smartphone. Under the Xperia menu in Settings is a feature called Screen Mirroring. Using this I was able to connect to the display, sort-of. It worked for a bit, then disconnected itself and refused to reconnect. Perhaps a newer Android device would be better. There are also some firmware updates on the Actiontec site, and I'd suggest applying these if you run into problems.

The standards supported here are Miracast, Samsung's AllShare Cast, or Intel WiDi 3.5. The key thing is to check that you have a compatible device before purchase. The Actiontec website has some guidance, though the Surface 2 (for example) is not specifically listed. Simply having wi-fi is not enough and I would suggest searching for the experience of others using your device with a wireless display before taking the plunge.

This device does NOT work with Apple iPhone, iPad or iPod. As far as I know Macs are not supported either (get Apple TV instead).

The Actiontec ScreenBeam Pro also has a USB port. This is for USB over Network: plug in a keyboard, for example, and if you are lucky it will be detected by your device and you can use it. I am struggling to think of why this would be useful, which is why I have not tried it yet.

There is also a version with a bundled USB transmitter for older laptops, though I cannot find this on Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Great with WiDi and Miracast, 20 Jun. 2014
Used it with Ultrabooks and also with android tablets with Miracast and it works great.
Remember to update the firmware on it, Windows 8.1 also has a app in the app store to easily update the firmware.

4.0 out of 5 stars This Works Great, 17 April 2014
Mr. S. R. Cox (uk) - See all my reviews
Set up with MS Surface Pro 2, only a small issue with getting it to display Fully on Screen fixed easily by changing Zoom Settings on TV, tried a few other devices and this is by far the best for the Price

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product, except, 25 Mar. 2014
A fantastic product, working out of the box with Windows 8.1 Miracast. Only issue is that seperate power supply and no ability to power through USB. Would have been quite handy as a portable device.