4.0 out of 5 stars Classic Nokia handset
Customer Video Review     Length:: 1:39 Mins
The Asha 301 is a classic Nokia, if you've currently got a basic Nokia you'll feel right at home with this handset. It's a good design, should easily fit in your hand, and it has a great keyboard.

Published 9 months ago by Reviewify.co.uk

Customer Video Review     Length:: 0:55 Mins
When I first got this phone, I was in love with it, its been a while since having a non-qwerty phone in my hand and brought me back to a time when I can write a text message with T9 predictive turned and type away without looking at it.

Published 11 months ago by MR. A. Uddin

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic Nokia handset, 4 Oct 2013
Reviewify.co.uk "Mark" (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
Length:: 1:39 Mins

The screen is clear, although fairly low resolution (which you expect with a budget handset). The menu is easy to navigate and you get access to a small number of apps. Facebook comes preinstalled so is easy to set up, and you can send/receive email as well.

The predictive text feature is good, and having a camera is a nice bonus at this price.

You can use this as a music player, but theres no volume rockers on the side of the phone so you can't easily adjust the volume.

If you're not fused about loads and loads of apps and just want a simple, classic, handset to talk, text and a bit of internet access, then this is a really good options.

5.0 out of 5 stars great phone., 11 Oct 2013
wanted an easy to use phone to replace an old worn nokia 6303,this is just that.Love the colour,bright & bold.Battery doing ok so far but its only been three days,Has no flash on the camera which i knew when purchased no problem still takes good pics.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great phone once you condition the battery and switch off certain functions, 22 Sep 2013
This review is from: Nokia 301 Sim Free Mobile Phone - Black (Electronics)
Pros

Fits in your pocket
Familiar Nokia menu layout
Traditional tactile keyboard
HD Voice (where supported)

Extras that are actually useful (to this user) and are used:
Voice recorder
Converter for various units of measurement
Diary and Alarm clock
Takes a standard mini SIM and also a micro SIM with a suitable converter.
Size is close to legacy phone sizes.
Supports MP3, MP4 as well as AAC in media (well, it recognises these in ringing tones at least.)

Cons
Setting up MMS and the Internet can be complex.
If a video camera is important, note that it is only 320 x 240 pixels max. (Camera is 1536 x 2048)
On the homescreen, the keyboard is locked very quickly after use and can only be kept open if an end time is typed in. Irritating because it is clock time rather than say, 5, 30 mins or an hour later.
- If one wants to keep the phone unlocked, select MENU or another screen.

In Settings>Display>Homescreen>Personalise View, If one selects a completely empty HOMESCREEN, it reverts to the FULL homescreen(!) The best 'minimalist' display is to select 'empty' for all the top three positions and use the clock in the lowest position on the screen. The homescreen displays the profile name permanently.

_______________________________________________________________

Many reviews suggest there is a problem with BATTERY life. Here are few hints to condition the battery and prolong uptime:

1. EDIT - Update. In my original submission, I made an error on battery charging times. I previously mentioned a long charge. After some research, I now know that the figures I provided were incorrect. However, Nokia themselves do suggest that the battery should be FULLY CHARGED each time. Therefore, I suggest monitoring the charging cycle until the screen indicates the cycle is over, then disconnect the charger. Fully charging each time will reduce the number of recharging cycles and thus improve the likely life of the battery. EXTRA: Nokia recommends the battery temperature should not fall below 15C (59F), which, for many people is a big ask, but might have a bearing on perceived battery life.
With that said; with light use, the battery has lasted over a week with zero data downloaded. - end of EDIT

2. Go to Settings>Display>BACKLIGHT and reduce to the minimum the intensity for the light conditions you experience and set the backlight timeout to the minimum (I actually extended mine to 40secs)
3. Go to the 'Profile' you use (GENERAL in most cases) and reduce the volume of Keypad tones, Ringing volume and other tones to the minimum for effectiveness. (I kept my ringing volume down by one notch)
4. If you use email, change the synch interval for your account(to the longest value acceptable) or set it to Manual for accounts you user more rarely: Menu > Mail > Options > Settings, your email account and edit the UPDATE MY INBOX settings.
5. Deactivate Bluetooth when not needed. Go to Menu > Settings > Connectivity > Bluetooth > OFF
6. When convenient, use wired headphones rather than loudspeaker.
7. If the signal strength of the cellular network varies in your area, your phone repeatedly scans for the available network, which increases battery usage. If Network mode is set to DUAL MODE in network settings, your phone searches for the 3G network: Select Settings > Phone > Network mode > GSM.
8. If you have switched Mobile data connection to 'Always on' in connection settings and there is no mobile data coverage, your phone periodically tries to establish a mobile data connection:
Select Mobile data connection > WHEN NEEDED.

Update:

9. Data mode still appears to seek a connection indicated by a boxed H or G on the homescreen, even when
'MOBILE DATA CONN 'When needed' has been selected. It CAN be turned off completely, but one of the menus may not show the ON/OFF option which confused me at first. If the option is not shown, check the other menu path:

MENU>SETTINGS>CONNECTIVITY>MOBILE DATA>MOBILE DATA> 'on, off, off when roaming.'

MENU>COUNTERS>MOBILE DATA> 'on, off, off when roaming.'

I have an older plan with no data allowance, so a cursory fifteen minute check to check data features for Facebook and Twitter accounts for a total of 1.48MB data cost me an out-of-plan amount of 3.78. BE WARNED!

See follow up comments for extra battery charging info.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic phone, 11 July 2013
[This was bought from Carphone Warehouse]
I got this as an upgrade from the very basic Nokia 100 phone a couple of days ago and can already say with conviction that it is very good, certainly for its price.
It is packed with many semi-smart features such as social media applications and the ability for emails to be forwarded with a notification system for both these respective traits.
I did not buy this for the camera although that is an added bonus.
The S40 operating system allows plenty of customization of the phone and is certainly simple and easy to use.
The screen is large, not touch screen large, but this is to accommodate for the comfortably sized alphanumeric keypad.
All in all a good phone for the price and certainly good as a main phone, not just a second phone. And with a built in FM radio!
PS: this phone does have threaded texting, along with sent and received folders; the threaded texting is found under conversations.

2.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous Phone!! Superb Features!! Atrocious Battery Life!!!!!!!!, 28 July 2013
MR. A. Uddin (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Length:: 0:55 Mins

This phone has a welcoming addition of 3.5G internet although it doesnt make the browsing experience significantly faster unless you are downloading. (Saying that I would recommend Opera Browser 4.5 over the native one anyday)

FEATURES

Homescreen - you can add tools like a clock and application shortcuts on the main screen, giving the phone a desktop feel to it.

Resolution - although 320*240 may seem a bit outdated, it doesnt look pix-elated and is acceptable for a portrait screen

Apps - There are some rather good built in apps, such as e buddy, Facebook(tm) (supports push notifications), Goal, Mail For Exchange(tm) (can be automatically updated and synced over the air with Microsoft Outlook(tm) and Windows Live(tm)), Nokia nearby, The Weather Channel, Tune Wiki (internet radio), Twitter(tm) (supports push alerts), and WhatsApp.

Games - there are a few games, but most are trials and its not really my thing, although the pool game was rather fun.

Speed - although I found it difficult to find the exact processor speed, it is fairly fast and most cases the phone operates quite smooth.

E-mail - The email client can be updated but not quite push style, you can set it to update your inbox in 15 minutes increments, but heres the problem!!! it only notifies you that an email is waiting but you still have to open the client to have it downloaded which can take a while, or worse Fail.

Camera - for 3.2MP (no flash) its not that bad and you can choose to shoot the photo (or video) in landscape and portrait. theres also a panoramic feature which works really well. theres also another feature that talks to you when you want to take a picture of yourself and commands you to shift the phone left and right before you take the picture. The video is below adequate. (I have included a video sample for both)

Other features you may expect - calender, Bluetooth, notes, calculator, stopwatch, timer, alarm clock etc..

**Some note to consider -

1.Although you can change the themes, using themes other than the ones provided by Nokia can make your phone sluggish and quite slow.

2.The MP3 player has no equaliser.

3.It does NOT support desktop synchronisation with Nokia suite, and you have to update the firmware using your network carriers data allowance.

4. some large emails will not be downloaded, it even wont let you read the text.

5. Although Mail For Exchange(tm) will update your inbox, contacts and calender by the hour, there is no visual notification that you have received new mail in your outlook or exchange account, just a brief sound, that you will be sure to miss by 99%

6. Playing mp4 videos, downloaded from other sources can be a hit and miss, this is dependant on the video codec, which I cannot find the details to inform me what file types the device will accept.

THE BATTERY PROBLEM

This is quite possible the most frustrating part of the phone I have ever seen, in comparison to heaps of phones I had in the past.

What it claims?

Stand-by Up to 888 h (2G)
Talk time Up to 20 h (2G)

To clarify I am not expecting the phone to last 888 hours, this cannot happen even in the best of conditions, but with that in mind, I was expecting a phone with a long battery life that could go on for several days even a week with moderate use.

This phone struggles to maintain good cell capacity after 24 hours of light use, (even with no use and data turned off). To make the point straight I would be really surprised if it could make past two days, which I havent seen quite yet. At first I thought I had a faulty handset, then I realised a lot of people have this problem that hasnt been solved even with the latest firmware update.

It is possible to squeeze out longer standby times, but this requires you to treat the phone like a portrait in a museum, Dont Touch it!!

The much older and less advanced Nokia Asha 201 SIM Free Mobile Phone - Graphite had an amazing battery life, and I used to use it heavily. So I have concluded there is a serious fault or bug with this phone.

To conclude, this phone has features that many would find beneficial, and it looks really good too. I cannot personally recommend it because of its poor durability for a feature phone. However if you dont mind putting up with the battery problem, then you may like this phone.

Either way I hope I have been helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nokia 301, 18 July 2013
Nokia 301.

It is easy to use I can find my way to all I need much better than the last all singing and all dancing phone I have just passed on to my Grandson!!

5.0 out of 5 stars great choice, 11 Nov 2013
thought it would be easy to use .it is didn't want a phone that was too complicated just want to be able to texts and calls

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME!, 11 July 2013
Brought this phone because i wanted to "feel the classic" again, and wow amazing phone! Love and trust me when i say this, in the picture it looks good but in your hand looks so much better. very stylish, and the white colour is great. It does have whatts app and twitter and facebook, the only negative thing is that doesnt support wi-fi but other than that Great little phone! You will definitely love it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent budget semi-smartphone, 20 Jan 2014
This review is from: Nokia 301 Sim Free Mobile Phone - Black (Electronics)
I got this for my father and now I want one to replace my stupid iPhone.
This phone is snappy in its operation (unlike the Nokia 206), does everything you need in a very basic and fluid way (Twitter, Facebook, Mail etc) and should work in all the world because it's quad-band. The 206 which I tried before did not run on Three, but this one worked beautifully with Three (it wasn't as trivial to get data working on it though).

The camera on the phone is quite decent too and although a bit grainy and with some purple bleeding on certain conditions, it's quick and a micoSD card (which you can change to convenience!) can store a truckload of photos.

Music playing was also incredibly painless. I threw a bunch of folders in the microSD card which had music, and the in-built player recognized them all instantaneously. No messing about with software, no pain. Drawback: volume isn't too great on this device, I have very good headphones which work great and with loud volume on all devices, but even when I put this to maximum, it was still a little bit low. I mean, I heard everything fine because my headphones block outside noise, but it seemed like a pretty low top level.

Al this with a fantastic battery life. The phone has been on for a week and it only munched one bar of the battery indicator!!

It took some used to type things again with a numeric keypad, but it also made me realize how much I miss a physical keyboard. Touchscreens are just not accurate and they end up being cumbersome and annoying.

The only feature that didn't seem to work was Whatsapp, which I was really looking forward to use. After updating to the latest version of the app, it kept asking to update and wouldn't run. This is a major bug I feel and summed up to the kinda poor output level on headphones it costed the phone one star.

I would definitely recommend this phone for those tired of messing about with smartphones and their problems. Those who need simple, clean and fast communication you can rely on, will find this phone absolutely brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple yet modern, 8 Jan 2014
This review is from: Nokia 301 Sim Free Mobile Phone - Black (Electronics)
I've has this phone over a week now and love it. For what you pay 50, I think I got great value for my money. You have to know what you're buying, a feature phone which means something simple, but that simplicity in my opinion is a benefit. The phone lets you access your email, whatsapp, twitter, and Facebook, it even has a web browser. Admittedly these are basic versions of what you get on other 'smart' phones but they work just as well. I mentioned the phone being simple and that just means you don't waste time messing around when it crashes like previous phones I've had. I've owned blackberries and iPhones in the past, and they're great, but paying an extra 500 for a phone that does exactly the same as this seems a bit silly. It just comes down to whether you want a trendy bit of kit or something solid that works. I think Nokia have done great, solid phone, feels good in your hand. Sizeable screen which shows me everything I need to see. Even has a calendar which works great.

For what I paid, I'm not complaining.
I'd recommend it, 5 stars.

Nokia 301 Sim Free Mobile Phone - Black