4.0 out of 5 stars Have always loved the music of Abel Korzeniowski!, 8 Dec 2013
This review is from: Romeo And Juliet (Audio CD)
I consider Abel Korzeniowski's soundtrack for Tom Ford's "A Single Man" a favorite, and while I've enjoyed a number of his soundtracks over the years (especially the one he wrote for Madonna's "W.E."), I didn't expect that his new one for "Romeo and Juliet" would be competition for them. And yet I've been enjoying it more than I expected to, and keep playing it again and again. I would say that his music for "A Single Man" remains firmly at the top, but "Romeo and Juliet" is a close second. But if you are expecting something like Nino Rota's lushly romantic score for the previous film of this Shakespeare classic, better sample the music first, although I found that it wasn't until I played the CD through a stereo with large speakers that I really fell in love with it. I do NOT regret buying this! And if you are already an Abel Korzeniowski fan, I think you're going to love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't get much better than this!, 22 Dec 2013
This review is from: Romeo And Juliet (Audio CD)
[...] There is a certain directness about this score, with its moderate orchestrations and uncomplicated themes, that aims straight for the heart. There is beauty in (and through) modesty. Admittedly though, on a few occasions I too wished that the score would take off a little more than it does; or that the orchestrations were a tad more varied. For me, it stops just short of being a masterpiece. Having said that, without even having to resort to using the `difficult scoring situation' as an excuse, Korzeniowski has delivered a richly melodic work full of romance, pathos and sorrow. Certainly one of this year's very best, incidentally alongside "Escape from Tomorrow" by Abel Korzeniowski. Coincidence? I think not.[...]

Read the full review at [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Polish brilliance, 8 Dec 2013
This review is from: Romeo And Juliet (Audio CD)
Hard to understand that this guy doesn't get more big assignments. He replaced a James Horner score that probably would have sounded like Braveheart but this is the real deal. It's heartbreaking and big on emotion without being schmaltzy befitting the story of these two cursed lovers. The themes are instantly memorable and stick in your head. I would say it's almost a big orchestra version of a Philip Glass score..but better. This might just be the score of the year for me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Romantic!, 9 Oct 2014
This review is from: Romeo And Juliet (Audio CD)
I am a BIG fan of Mr. Korzeniowski and I think he is one of the best living composers. He has an incredibly ability to conjure up emotion with his themes, which are melodic and memorable. There were some bits (mainly the crescendos) that reminded me of his previous work in W.E. (which was utterly brilliant) so that's why I gave it 4/5. My favourite piece in this album is definitely "Wedding Vows" - sublime!

Romeo And Juliet
Romeo And Juliet by Abel Korzeniowski (Audio CD - 2013)