5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 8 July 2014
This review is from: Desert Snow - One Girl's Take On Africa By Bike (Kindle Edition)
Very perceptive. Avoids the diary approach of many travalogues

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 7 July 2014
Really interesting

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring read, 20 Jun 2014
Helen is a an inspiration to women everywhere! Proof that you can do anything you set your mind to, no matter what your sex.
I loved the way she described the culture and people of Africa and included history too.
Reading this book has made me want to quit my job, pack my panniers and ride off into the sunset....

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 9 Jun 2014
I was disappointed to see that the words 'sitting' and 'standing' seem to have disappeared from the English language,(although I recall 'standing' being used once!) they are continually substituted by 'sat' and 'stood'. Okay I am a bit picky but it really annoys me and as this is my review, I don't care! Having had a moan, I thought this book was beautifully written and Helen's courage and determination shine through.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping and inspirational, 20 May 2014
A truly gripping story of Helen's bike ride down the west coast of Africa. A remarkably brave girl who coped with some dreadful weather, awful roads, poor food, and refused to pay any bribes to officials. She has a remarkable knack of meeting people and making friends of locals and other travellers. Unusually for a writer she tells us practically nothing about herself, her family, her emotional feelings or even her age. Some of the people she met (particularly Charles, in the Congo) seem to have been mesmerised by her but her only comment was 'I liked him'. Throughout her journey she seemed to be searching for something; I do hope she finds it, she's a wonderful woman.
And it's such a relief to find a non-professional travel writer who doesn't pepper her story with exclamation marks.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read but slowed at end, 17 May 2014
A good read and epic journey only spoiled by sometimes losing sight of what country she was in. A truly remarkable journey though sometimes bordering on dangerous and not adventuress.
Overall worth the money and recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A non-stop read, 12 April 2014
I bought the book, because I know the author and had followed her blog.
I read the book non-stop because it's really well written and kept me enthralled throughout even though I already knew the storyline.

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing African adventure, 24 Nov 2013
Sharon "Say something about yourself!" (Wells, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I am an `armchair adventurer'. I have read so many books about hiking long distance paths, climbing challenging mountains and cycling across exotic lands that I feel I have an expert knowledge in all of these things (but in reality my knowledge is woefully lacking!). When I saw Helen's book on Kindle I thought it would probably be ideal to provide me with my `adventure book' fix: and I was right.

Desert Snow is an eminently readable book. I almost felt as if Helen were here, sitting on my sofa, recounting all her tales just for me. Her writing style is not that of a literary master, but it is very personal and consequently I found it very engaging. I also really like the link to the photographs on Flickr; it was great to see the places and the faces; the dusty train journey, the pirogue, Lars, the wild camp sites, the rutted, dirt tracks and so on.

There were a couple of places, however, towards the beginning of the book, where I got a little confused about where the author was and where she was headed (especially around West Africa!). I also would have liked more - more information about the places, the people, the camp sites, the hotels and hostels, the food - just more.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and have spoken about it often in class (a teacher), which is a good indication of the impact it has had on me. I have no hesitation in recommending it to anyone who is interested in Africa, adventure and humanity. Of simply to anyone at all, no matter your interests!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great account of a true adventure!, 5 July 2013
Helen's voyage was an incredible and inspiring undertaking. The book really makes you feel like you're on the bike with her. If anyone is interested in modern adventure then this book is a must.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a fantastic read., 22 Jun 2013
This book is really well written and the story just blew me away.Helen Lloyd is a woman with guts and determination.She gets to some of the most remotest place in the world on her bike and shares her fantastic experience..For anyone to travel to these places would be extremely difficult but even more so for a woman with blonde hair with the troubles this can bring...
I am already looking forward to her next book hopefully about her current travels through Asia and in particular Mongolia..