8,760
Digital Storage Capacity: 32|Configuration: With Special Offers|Connectivity Technology: Wi-Fi + 4G LTE (Vodafone)|Change

on 26 December 2014
I have had a kindle for years and have always liked the concept of ebooks. I bought my wife a kindle fire last year and she uses it all the time for reading. Last year I bought her an iPad.which she uses. a lot. I considered buying one myself but the cost was too high and I decided to get the kindle fire hdx I bought it in the Amazon sale. I am delighted with it. As an older person I tend to rely on my grandchildren to help me with anything technical I am still trying to work out what the iPad can do that the kindle cannot do. I am sure that many people will rush to point out the differences. I love my kindle
on 25 December 2013
Nicely made device, good screen (except for the well known slight blue halo), good sound, fast and responsive for what it can do. The origami case is clever, although very, very expensive for what it is.

But so far its not wowing me the way iOS devices have. Call me an Apple zealot but its just not as seamless or as rich an experience. There was practically nothing in the app store that I wanted to install. Even the kids quickly lost interest in it, now that's worrying!

Here's some of the weirdness I've gone through in just the first morning:

* first time I opened the browser it took me to amazon.cn -- China! Bought from Amazon UK so why?
* signing into lovefilm -- logged into my amazon account on the device, selected video tab, asked to log into lovefilm, typed in credentials again, told that I should log in to amazon instead (knew that), logged into amazon (now on the video screen), nothing happened, clicked login a few more times, exited videos, came back in to videos, lovefilm now working… got there but hardly obvious
* first app I downloaded turned out to be a fake google maps app that popped up an 'alert' that when clicked on took me to an advertising website, now every time I download an app I'll be wondering what sort of malware its hiding
* charger cable sticks out angled slightly forwards, seems to be deliberate but looks like its broken...
* tried to tether to my iPhone, response was the device was unsupported, apparently there is no bluetooth tethering, only wifi, the error message and help system did nothing to explain this

I'm seriously considering returning it and going for a full-blown Android tab instead as I think this is going to end up being too limited for coffee table use.
on 14 May 2015
This was bought as an upgrade from my old Kindle. I am glad I bought it and it is much lighter and nice. I would have given it 5 stars but I docked 1 because the sound on this is very low. I watch a lot of drama series on my Kindle and even with full volume the sound is much lower than my previous one.
on 28 December 2014
Got my fire hdx for Christmas and initially very happy with it looking forward to getting to grips with it.
Not long after I started using it it developed an issue where the screen would lock itself and I would have to shut the case, open the case, swipe to open it, and continue what I was doing.
This as may seeming a small insignificant issue but not when it happens 3 or 4 times in 5 minutes...........
Looked online and it seems this is a common issue. I contacted Amazon via the mayday button and spoke to a tech advisor who informed me this was a hardware issue and I would have to reboot. (For a hardware issue???)
Anyway, they told me I could have a replacement or a refund but I'm afraid going on the similar problem other people have had I opted for refund as it seems this is not an isolated issue at all.
By the way, my kindle locked out twice while writing this....
on 26 March 2015
Great when it worked, but it didn't work for very long. Kept freezing and was unresponsive. Amazon did try to help but nothing they said worked. To make matters worse they would not offer me a new one to replace the broken Kindle, all they would offer was a reconditioned one. When you buy a new product and it stops working you should get a new one to replace. SHAME on Amazon.
on 20 January 2015
I must have got my first Kindle just after they came onto the market. I was going on a trip and for the first time, was able to take a huge pile of books with me, because they were all neatly stored on this little light-weight wonder. Unfortunately, I managed to stand on it in the dark and break it, but thanks to the insurance that I’d taken out, had a replacement with me in about three days. Somehow I managed to break two more and as the original had been taken off the market I was given a TOUCHSCREEN KINDLE instead. I immediately fell in love with that as well. But then at Christmas 2014 I was given a KINDLE FIRE HDX as a present.

There’s an expression I use when super excited “Like dying and going to heaven” and that’s how I have to describe my experience with my new Kindle. Not only does it store my books, but I can use it for emails, calendar, games, watching movies and I know that there’s still more I haven’t discovered about it yet.

If you find yourself unable to work out how to do something on the Kindle, you press the MAYDAY button and within seconds, you have a friendly living, breathing technician suddenly appear on your screen asking how they can help. The first time it happened, I almost jumped off my chair seeing this person (so used to “chatting” to someone but invisibly). They are then able to take control of your Kindle and talk you through your problem, helping you sort out whatever the question is that you’ve raised.

I see that there’s a new Kindle on sale that is similar to the old Kindle and does not have any of the Fire’s features. If you are wondering which version to buy, I can completely and totally recommend the FIRE HDX. I’m almost certain that like me, you will fall in love and wonder how you’ve ever managed without it. -Treebeard

Rating: Five Stars.

For bestsellingcrimethrillers.com
on 10 October 2014
Had this Kindle now for nearly a year now, all I can say is I love to hate it, but I don't. I use it all the time reading, playing music, watching films, playing games, browsing the net. All great sound, graphics, utilities, good battery life, simple to use.

So what's to hate?

1st the touch screen is still twitchy, I've had to resort to slapping the screen to try & stop it from sticking in the most extreme cases...I bought some screen protectors when I first bought the kindle, they made it 10 time worse, so I've never used them.

2nd no SD card slot, this is a must for any portable device like this, even 64GB is never going to be enough to store everything. The cloud storage is good, however to access it you still need Wi-Fi, not much use if your stuck in a factory for most of the day...

3rd WHY did Amazon remove the mini HDMI slot form the kindle to replace it with a wireless one? If you don't have a mirroring capable HDTV or display device it's practically useless. & as for the HDMI wireless devices which can cost over £50, they simply just don't work. Even the recommended ones like Push2TV from Netgear are poor with SD like quality display...

Fix these 3 big issues Amazon, & you would have the perfect tablet that money could buy... JC
on 4 March 2015
I'm so happy with this very orginal white and black design chair beatifule perfect now i can make my own design in my desk :)))))
review image
on 8 November 2014
absolutely awesome piece of kit ,very easy to use and in my experience it has been very reliable I use my kindle for virtually everything from reading books and newspaper ,checking the weather ,listening to songs and the radio .
Also being an avid reader it has saved a lot of space in my house which would be taken up by books.
But to be honest if you are a bit of a dinosaur like i am it does take a book or 2 to get used to reading from a kindle but once you are it is strange going back to a book!
An other advantage i like is that you can take a whole library with you when you go away from home.
on 31 August 2015
In a society that is supposed to be free, it smells too much of control and manipulation to me, be very very wary!! They will only allow you to use THEIR stuff, and you can no longer get google play on them. To put facebook on I had to allow Amazon access to ALL of my facebook details, my friends details, everything. I THINK THAT STINKS AND IS TOTALLY DISGUSTING!!!!!!!!!!! WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU ARE???????? I managed to bypass that, but when i purchased the smaller ones for my sons a few weeks later they'd carefully closed that loop hole. Smells to me like control and manipulation, my advice is pay a bit extra and go buy a Samsung!!