3,600 Reviews
 (2,348)

Published 18 days ago by Frances Greaney

3.0 out of 5 stars Beware the new OS update.
Published 14 days ago by DV8 Diva

5.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't disappoint - cheapest AND most impressive tablet on the market, 2 Dec 2014
I couldn't wait to get home and unwrap my new (reduced) Kindle Fire HDX. Straight out of the box it was wonderfully light and started up with no issues. I was worried the 7" would be a tad on the small side but I can comfortably hold it in one hand for reading or in both hands and use both thumbs for typing. It's much more comfortable than the iPad! I have an old Kindle which I was going to keep for reading as I wasn't sure how it would feel reading from a backlit screen - however I have immediately auctioned off my old kindle to a family member! The display is wonderful - and it's great to actually see my books in colour - the library looks very impressive!

The only issue I had from starting it up was the slow internet connection with a couple of error messages, but doing the trusted 'turn it off and on' completely fixed it. I haven't used the Mayday button yet, although when I was testing it out it did take a few minutes to connect.

Overall, even though I've only had it for a couple of days I am completely blown over with it - my best purchase in recent months. The screen is fantastic - Put it through it's paces by watching a nature documentary from BBC iplayer and the detail was incredible.

Very easy navigation with a user friendly interface. Just waiting for a case to arrive so I can bring it out to play on the commute to work!

UPDATE: did have to use Mayday for help printing a document-couldn't have asked for a better service! So much easier than trawling through internet pages and forums! That's something I hate about Apple-their support is actually a nightmare to get into! Kudos kindle!

2,178 of 2,305 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 13 Nov 2013
Dr. Paul Ell (NI, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I received this today despite having only ordered it yesterday afternoon. Cleary Amazon have plenty of HDX 7 inch models in stock. I went for the cheapest option - 16Gb of memory, (Wi-Fi only of course), and `with special offers' to cut the cost further. This is the third generation of Fire released in the US market and the second UK version. I purchased one of the first US models which has worked well for the last couple of years. The new model is a significant improvement on this.

Headlines, well first, the screen is absolutely fantastic. The colours are vibrant and the screen very bright, so bright in fact I've turned down the brightness settings. The screen has a far better resolution compared to the iPad Air (263 pixels per inch v. 323) which I bought last week and text is sharper and colour reproduction seems more realistic. Needless to say the screen is a long way away from the original Fire.

Second, and a little unexpectedly, the Fire is a lot lighter. I see its lighter than the last 7 inch HD version, and is considerably lighter than my original US-only model. Not that any of the 7 inch Fires have seemed too heavy to hold one handed for reading. The new Fire just makes it easier still.

Third, the tablet is a lot faster. The Fire uses the same processor that's in my Sony mobile phone and I've noticed a significant improvement with that compared to the last generation of chip. The Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor seems likely to be future proof for another couple of years.

Fourth, using the tablet with LoveFilm results is really high-quality film viewing. There's little reflection on the screen, on my BT Infinity internet link there's no delay in films downloading and no video stutter with images in brilliant quality. Partly this may reflect also the `ultra-fast' dual band Wi-Fi now built in. For printed content books are easy to read but I've never suffered from eye-strain reading from LCD screens. Others will be better able to comment on this. Magazines look brilliant making full use of the outstanding screen.

Finally, the sound is easily good enough to watch films with but I'd recommend headphones for music.

There are other features that I doubt I'll use much if at all. The `Mayday' function seems a little pointless especially as the most common problem I'm likely to experience is Wi-Fi connectivity issues! I purchased the 16Gb storage capacity as I tend to use the Fire mostly for reading and watching streamed films and Amazon's Cloud service. As a result additional memory is not needed for me. Nor do I need a rear camera (just as well as this 7 inch model doesn't have one) and I won't much use the front camera although it will work well for occasional video Skype call.

Potential downsides remain from other versions of the Fire. Although the version of Android is newer is still has a very heavy Amazon skin and you don't have access to the Play store. But for my use of the Tablet this isn't a problem especially as so many Apps are now available from Amazon.

Overall a dramatic enhancement on my old Fire, a brilliant screen, and a lightweight tablet which has a high build quality. For the price it's very good value for money. As a result highly recommended. I'll post an update on battery life after I've used the tablet for a couple of weeks. The specifications suggest this is a further area that's been improved on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really pleased., 14 Nov 2014
My first tablet and I'm delighted with the product.I am finding it quite easy to use and learning more each time I switch it on. It is very quick and has a really crisp display.Hard to fault.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Kindle, 18 Aug 2014
At eighty one, a lot of my friends have now gone but now I have found a new friend, my Kindle Fire HDX. Wonderful!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it. Took it on holiday to Dubai, 10 Oct 2014
Got as a prezzie for my birthday from my husband. Love it. Took it on holiday to Dubai. Didn't need my phone which was just as well coz I forgot to pack it !!!!

Does everything email, fb and browser. Only downside it only lets you take sefies??? Used my son's iPad instead. Plus side my husband was delighted I didn't come home with a massive phone bill !!!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Beware the new OS update., 5 Dec 2014
The Kindle Fire HDX is a good little tablet computer. I have owned one since February 2014 and got along fine with out any problems until the latest OS update a few days ago. Quite frankly, since it was automatically downloaded, my Kindle Fire has been nothing but trouble. It has frozen, several of my apps were messed about with and a game that I had been playing for months inexplicably reverted to a previous level, losing me points and characters.Since then, I have had to do a lot of forced shut downs to get the Kindle back to a decent working mode, as the screen turns black in the middle of a game and it sometimes takes ages to get the unlock screen up.This is really disappointing. I do not know if anyone else has experienced this, but it has definitely taken the gloss off the Kindle for me. I do not like the new update at all. It might be glitches of the new OS , which will eventually be remedied, but it is a case of caveat emptor.

5.0 out of 5 stars My first Tablet...., 24 Aug 2014
I had been thinking of buying a tablet for some months and did a lot of research before actually buying this one. In the end it was a toss up between a Nexus 7 and the Kindle Fire HDX; the reviews were mainly positive for the latter, so when a certain high street store were doing the 32GB version for £60.00 less than advertised on Amazon, I took the plunge...
I've had the device for three days now and really glad I opted for this version.The screen is fantastically clear and bright with the device itself very light and thin. When I registered my Kindle with Amazon( just type in your log-in details), all my purchased music was instantly available and there is a facility for you to download it all to your device so you can play it all off-line. Navigating the web and e-mails is very fast- sometimes faster than my PC and downloading books take a few seconds. The only quibble I could really honestly say that I had issue with was transferring my own files from my PC to the Kindle. All my personal MP4 videos appeared to take an age to upload to the Cloud Drive, so I converted them to avi files and they took a fraction of the time and almost instantly synced with my Kindle. It's really best to upload to your Cloud Drive as transferring photos and videos point to point takes an age. Some non-Amazon bought music wouldn't upload either i.e. from CDs or music files on my PC as they are DRM registered. The power button is a little awkward being on the rear of the device- as is the volume control- so makes it a little troublesome when your Kindle is in a protective case.
Other than these minor points, I'm really pleased- couldn't decide whether to give this four or five stars, but gave Amazon the benefit of the doubt as I've never personally had any negative product associated with them. Hope this review helps someone out there...
UPDATE: If you want a decent case for this device, then get the one from InventCase advertised on Amazon for less than £15 as it has all the right holes in all the right places for the Kindle 7 HDX; I guess I bought my first case rather rashly in hindsight: go toNew Amazon Kindle Fire HDX 7 inch 7" 2013 (ALL Model Versions - 16GB, 32GB & 64GB Wi-Fi + 4G LTE) BLACK Multi-Function Leather SMART FOLIO Front & Back Case / Smart Cover / Typing & Viewing Stand / Premium SLIM Flip Case With Magnetic Sleep Sensor & Scr...
UPDATE NUMBER TWO; Had the Kindle for a few weeks now and I am still really pleased with it. A few things worth mentioning; I had to contact the help facility- the "Mayday" button- as my web browser appeared non-responsive. I was connected in less than 10 seconds and the solution was actually " drawn" on my device by my contact. Brilliant- wouldn't hesitate to use it again if I became stuck. I've now downloaded a lot of my non-Amazon music and personal videos to my Kindle via Cloud; once you've uploaded them and they sync to your device, simply download them onto your Kindle, then delete them from your Amazon Cloud, freeing up your free 5GB of storage. The battery life can be a little draining- I watched a video from BBC I-Player for two hours and the power discharged nearly 40 per cent from a full charge-but will last a lot longer just listening to music, reading books or when you are generally on-line. The Amazon AppStore suits my personal needs very well so I don't have to go through other channels, though other reviewers have commented on their paucity.
I have found my Kindle much easier to use that I thought I would and the fabulous resolution on the screen has made my friends and family think that I am a great photographer too!!! If I can understand and actively enjoy this device, then anyone can. Hope this helps.

971 of 1,109 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars This might not be the tablet you're looking for!, 2 Dec 2013
I brought the tablet as a gift for my daughter, wanting to make use of the Kindle FreeTime parental features and access to the Kindle Owner's Lending Library.

After a couple of hours use, setting it up so that it would be ready for Christmas day, I found that the Kindle Fire HDX is not fit for the purpose I wanted it for; I also found some other issues.

The main issues are:

1. Kindle FreeTime does not show any books that have been borrowed from the Lending Library. On the Lending Library, a headline of having 400,000 books available seems ridiculous when you can only have 1 a month!

2. Kindle FreeTime Unlimited (Unlike in the US) is not available, so you have to individually purchase and assign to your child's account. This is in contrast to the Unlimited service in the US where you can let your child have unlimited access to of a massive selection age appropriate Movies, TV, Apps and books.

3. Video file compatibility is limited on the device, with some commonly used file types being unsupported; Surprising, as it is one of the most powerful 7" tablets out at the moment, with amazing in built speakers.

4. The Silk browser is whilst fast, has compatibility issues, with a lot of web sites not rendering them correctly. Unlike the excellent Chrome browser, which is not available on the Amazon App store.

5. For those with Sky TV, the corresponding Android Sky Go App is not available in the Amazon App Store; Sky has stated that they will not be releasing the App for any of the Kindle Fire devices. This is a shame as the screen is fantastic for watching movies and TV.

There is no argument that the Hardware is top notch, but key features and services are either non-existent or a shadow of what has been on offer in the US for over a year.

Amazon's Fire OS 3.0 still has a long way to go.

1.0 out of 5 stars Glitchy and disappointing, 8 Mar 2014
I bought two of these at Christmas for my children who have been stealing my tablet for some time. I opted for the Kindle HDX because it seemed to offer a good hardware spec, parental control features and solid build quality.

I have been bitterly disappointed.

Firstly what isn't clear on the advert is that the parental control actually creates a separate section of the tablet which means that for two users the apps must be bought and installed twice taking up valuable space not to mention earning Amazon double revenues.

Secondly the device has been glitchy at best, often losing wifi connectivity (which according to the forum is more common that I realised). App's frequently crash and this seems to be to do with the amazon skin on android because i often have the same apps on my device and they run smoothly and without problems despite lower specs.

Thirdly, we have had a lot of problems with any none Amazon content. Music and Videos which in theory should play don't or albums are broken up into individual songs making playing or shuffling albums impossible.

Finally battery life has been disappointing with only around 4-5 hours on average. I have complained to Amazon and they have replaced the devices without complaint but the replacement ones perform the same. I have just bought the Nexus 7 for myself which outshines the kindle on every level and cost be over £70 less.

Having been a devout Amazon fan and traditional kindle fan for many years, this has been one huge disappointment for me and the children.

1.0 out of 5 stars NO skygo, NO BT Sport, NO TV catchup and NO BT wifi app, 26 Feb 2014
I have a kindle paperwhite and a nexus 7 and bought the fire HDX as an upgrade rather than having 2 devices and thought I was getting a great tablet having read the reviews.
What a mistake loads of apps won't load and not available at the AMAZON store.
NO skygo, NO BT Sport, NO TV catchup and NO BT wifi app. The 3 TV apps are essential for me.
I innocently thought that it was based around the android operating system and android apps would work..
If you intend to use the tablet for anything other than what AMAZON want to flog you forget it, utter pants and the failings of so many apps is not widely published.
Having found the failings I then went looking and found comments about failings, why can't they astix and tell people grrrrr.... I suppose it is down big companies flexing their muscles like apple and adobe.