1,428 Reviews

1,303 of 1,370 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent
Published 5 months ago by Paul S. Ell

1.0 out of 5 stars Glitchy and disappointing
I bought two of these at Christmas for my children who have been stealing my tablet for some time. I opted for the Kindle HDX because it seemed to offer a good hardware spec, parental control features and solid build quality.

I have been bitterly disappointed.

Published 1 month ago by Amazon Customer

1,303 of 1,370 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 13 Nov 2013
Paul S. Ell (NI, UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I received this today despite having only ordered it yesterday afternoon. Cleary Amazon have plenty of HDX 7 inch models in stock. I went for the cheapest option - 16Gb of memory, (Wi-Fi only of course), and `with special offers' to cut the cost further. This is the third generation of Fire released in the US market and the second UK version. I purchased one of the first US models which has worked well for the last couple of years. The new model is a significant improvement on this.

Headlines, well first, the screen is absolutely fantastic. The colours are vibrant and the screen very bright, so bright in fact I've turned down the brightness settings. The screen has a far better resolution compared to the iPad Air (263 pixels per inch v. 323) which I bought last week and text is sharper and colour reproduction seems more realistic. Needless to say the screen is a long way away from the original Fire.

Second, and a little unexpectedly, the Fire is a lot lighter. I see its lighter than the last 7 inch HD version, and is considerably lighter than my original US-only model. Not that any of the 7 inch Fires have seemed too heavy to hold one handed for reading. The new Fire just makes it easier still.

Third, the tablet is a lot faster. The Fire uses the same processor that's in my Sony mobile phone and I've noticed a significant improvement with that compared to the last generation of chip. The Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor seems likely to be future proof for another couple of years.

Fourth, using the tablet with LoveFilm results is really high-quality film viewing. There's little reflection on the screen, on my BT Infinity internet link there's no delay in films downloading and no video stutter with images in brilliant quality. Partly this may reflect also the `ultra-fast' dual band Wi-Fi now built in. For printed content books are easy to read but I've never suffered from eye-strain reading from LCD screens. Others will be better able to comment on this. Magazines look brilliant making full use of the outstanding screen.

Finally, the sound is easily good enough to watch films with but I'd recommend headphones for music.

There are other features that I doubt I'll use much if at all. The `Mayday' function seems a little pointless especially as the most common problem I'm likely to experience is Wi-Fi connectivity issues! I purchased the 16Gb storage capacity as I tend to use the Fire mostly for reading and watching streamed films and Amazon's Cloud service. As a result additional memory is not needed for me. Nor do I need a rear camera (just as well as this 7 inch model doesn't have one) and I won't much use the front camera although it will work well for occasional video Skype call.

Potential downsides remain from other versions of the Fire. Although the version of Android is newer is still has a very heavy Amazon skin and you don't have access to the Play store. But for my use of the Tablet this isn't a problem especially as so many Apps are now available from Amazon.

Overall a dramatic enhancement on my old Fire, a brilliant screen, and a lightweight tablet which has a high build quality. For the price it's very good value for money. As a result highly recommended. I'll post an update on battery life after I've used the tablet for a couple of weeks. The specifications suggest this is a further area that's been improved on.

1.0 out of 5 stars Glitchy and disappointing, 8 Mar 2014

I have been bitterly disappointed.

Firstly what isn't clear on the advert is that the parental control actually creates a separate section of the tablet which means that for two users the apps must be bought and installed twice taking up valuable space not to mention earning Amazon double revenues.

Secondly the device has been glitchy at best, often losing wifi connectivity (which according to the forum is more common that I realised). App's frequently crash and this seems to be to do with the amazon skin on android because i often have the same apps on my device and they run smoothly and without problems despite lower specs.

Thirdly, we have had a lot of problems with any none Amazon content. Music and Videos which in theory should play don't or albums are broken up into individual songs making playing or shuffling albums impossible.

Finally battery life has been disappointing with only around 4-5 hours on average. I have complained to Amazon and they have replaced the devices without complaint but the replacement ones perform the same. I have just bought the Nexus 7 for myself which outshines the kindle on every level and cost be over 70 less.

Having been a devout Amazon fan and traditional kindle fan for many years, this has been one huge disappointment for me and the children.

1.0 out of 5 stars Like a tablet only not as good, 27 Mar 2014
It’s difficult to express just how disappointed I am with the Kindle Fire HDX, and the disappointment and frustration continues daily. Amazon appear to be only interested in bombarding me with adverts, which are not even search related. Just random junk!

The apps and operation in general is far too restrictive. For example, I already have an extensive music library on a media PC, all from original CD’s, but Amazon would prefer I download from them, so the process for downloading music is over complicated and in the end, incomplete. Another example…, I can’t download the itv version of bbc iplayer, I was advised by the online help to down load the STV player instead. This asks for a postcode, which since I’m in England, isn’t recognized. So, I just gave up. I have a PDF viewer, which should be very handy. It’s really simple to load a PDF in to the device, but returning to the home screen is a different matter. I’m a “user”, not someone who wants to or is capable of messing around trying to get this thing to work. It should be intuitive, but I feel that it’s far from it.

In the devices defence, build quality appears good, screen quality is excellent, photographs display well and the zoom works as you would expect. Searches and internet page loading is very, very fast and streaming from youtube is pretty much flawless. Unfortunately, it isn’t enough to compensate for the lack of overall user friendliness.

3.0 out of 5 stars This might not be the tablet you're looking for!, 2 Dec 2013
I brought the tablet as a gift for my daughter, wanting to make use of the Kindle FreeTime parental features and access to the Kindle Owner's Lending Library.

After a couple of hours use, setting it up so that it would be ready for Christmas day, I found that the Kindle Fire HDX is not fit for the purpose I wanted it for; I also found some other issues.

The main issues are:

1. Kindle FreeTime does not show any books that have been borrowed from the Lending Library. On the Lending Library, a headline of having 400,000 books available seems ridiculous when you can only have 1 a month!

2. Kindle FreeTime Unlimited (Unlike in the US) is not available, so you have to individually purchase and assign to your child's account. This is in contrast to the Unlimited service in the US where you can let your child have unlimited access to of a massive selection age appropriate Movies, TV, Apps and books.

3. Video file compatibility is limited on the device, with some commonly used file types being unsupported; Surprising, as it is one of the most powerful 7" tablets out at the moment, with amazing in built speakers.

4. The Silk browser is whilst fast, has compatibility issues, with a lot of web sites not rendering them correctly. Unlike the excellent Chrome browser, which is not available on the Amazon App store.

5. For those with Sky TV, the corresponding Android Sky Go App is not available in the Amazon App Store; Sky has stated that they will not be releasing the App for any of the Kindle Fire devices. This is a shame as the screen is fantastic for watching movies and TV.

There is no argument that the Hardware is top notch, but key features and services are either non-existent or a shadow of what has been on offer in the US for over a year.

Amazon's Fire OS 3.0 still has a long way to go.

4.0 out of 5 stars a happy pensioners coments., 29 Mar 2014
Mr. R. Mccrudden "Ronnie" (N.Ireland) - See all my reviews
i am pleased with it so far, as a 73yr pensioner it is remarkably simple to use. I am getting great fun with it.

3.0 out of 5 stars I like the kindle fire hdx, 22 Mar 2014
its good to have but it takes a long time to open up and there are no instructions, we had a problem getting it to log onto our wifi, i phoned the number on the amazon site using my laptop, the help facility on the hdx is only any use if you can connect to the internet, the very nice chap helped sort it out and he saent me instructions but not for the hdx just for the kindle, with no internet. Still havent found any instructions on how to use all the facilities. As we are not computer buffs we would really like some good instructions on how to use it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Kindle HDX review, 28 Mar 2014
VERY disappointed, unable to access Amazon Cloud Drive, therefore use limited to games and books. cannot access itv or bbc player, or to transfer photo's from my apple mac computer. As I already have an i touch I feel this wa a very expensive present (purchased by my daughter for my 70th Birthday)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best gadget ever purchased, 27 Feb 2014
This is THE best gadget I have ever purchased; I can't even begin to describe how much I LOVE IT!! It goes with me everywhere & has totally taken over from my mobile (apart from calls & texts of course). It was so easy to set up, opened the box, switched it on & that was it. Easy. It is great to look at, easy to use, does everything I want it to do & more. Graphics are brilliant & the sound is better than my TV. I have nothing bad to say about this Kindle. Amazon, keep up the good work, I love you!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Love/Hate Relationship. Esp Not Great For Existing Kindle Users. Multiple Issues, More Thought From Developers Needed., 8 Feb 2014
I have a love / hate relationship with my new Kindle Fire HDX.

As an existing Kindle Paperwhite (2gb) user, I wanted more storage for more books. My Paperwhite is full, and they don't make a bigger (capacity) model. The 64gb Fire seemed the best option.

Unfortunately, Amazon's developers and engineers appear to have given little thought to the use of the Fire HDX by existing Kindle users, instead focussing on trying to compete with the general tablet market.

I had just under 2,000 titles on my Paperwhite. I wrongly assumed that the transfer of these books to my shiny new Fire would be easy-peasy, and quick. Whispersync to my Paperwhite is instant or near instant when I download books direct from Amazon. Having had a good look at all the new (to me) controls on the Fire, I couldn't immediately see a copy option, so I hit the Mayday button.

It's not exactly like the TV ad. You DO get a real person to talk to, but it isn't a full-face picture of them that shows on your screen. You get some poor spod sitting on a chair in a cubicle. They tried to be helpful, took over my new Fire remotely, and tried to see how to manage the transfer of 1865 items from my Paperwhite to the new Kindle. In the process, they were able to see some personal documents and photos relating to breast cancer surgery. I wasn't thrilled with that, as you might imagine. If you use the Mayday button, just make sure there isn't anything on your carousel that you want to keep private, as all recently accessed items go there by default and are therefore highly visible to Mayday staff. Mine was very good, and turned his head away when I shrieked at him to do so, others may not do the same.

Incidentally, you can see them, but they can't see you. (Or so they say.)

There is a delay in your voice reaching them, much like you get with overseas phone calls, or what you see when a TV programme has a live link to another country. You ask your question, there's a very definite pause, then you can see the Mayday person hearing your voice after you've stopped talking. A bit odd, takes some getting used to. The delay can be off-putting, but I still like the feature. There is, of course, no reliable way of trying to speak to the same advisor again if they have to shut your device down as part of the fixing process. You just have to hit Mayday again when your Kindle restarts, and speak to whoever pops up. But given that everyone I've spoken to on Mayday has had an Irish name and an Irish accent, it's probably fair to assume that Mayday central is likely to be in Ireland. I had thought that phone call voice delay only happened if you called the states. I've called Australia before now without any hint of it. So not sure why it happens with the Mayday feature.

My Mayday man told me that THE ONLY way to transfer the books directly onto my new Kindle was to download ALL 1865 titles INDIVIDUALLY from the Manage Your Kindle page. I expressed my astonishment at this. Apparently, Amazon assume it's just fine that all your downloads are in the Cloud. But for me, the whole point of getting this bigger Kindle is so I can have ALL my books with me whether I'm at home or sitting in yet another hospital waiting room. I didn't buy the mobile wireless -3 or 4G - option, so unless I'm at a wireless hot spot, I can only download new books at home and can only access the Cloud at home.

Eventually, even though the helpful Mayday man had gone off and asked a senior staff member about getting my books copied from my Paperwhite to my Fire and had still come back with the same answer of individual downloads - can you imagine how long that would take? Mayday man's way of doing it involved several clicks for each book on the Manage Kindle page. Even on my laptop and with my wireless mouse, I could only tolerate the Select, Actions, Send To Device - Select Device process for the duration of maybe ten books before I thought "Oh my God, this is going to take FOREVER !" and I abandoned it. - I found a better solution. A work-around, if you will.

If you go to Books and then select Cloud, it shows all your books there, with a circle next to each of them. If the circle is checked, that item is already on your device. If it's unchecked, it's in the Cloud but not on your device. So I checked all unchecked circles, and it started downloading everything to my Fire.

Hoorah, thought I. It looked as though it was going to take forever, but I thought that if I left it to it, eventually all my beloved books would be on there. Wrong! When I went back to it a few hours later, it had got itself stuck on a book, and stayed there. It had, curiously, already transferred some, but not all, of my library category headings (collection names) and a few but nowhere near all of my books. It seems as though you have to manually create any new categories in the Cloud, they don't always automatically upload to the Cloud when you create them on your Kindle. At least, they don't on mine. Initially, it didn't download ANY categories at all, so what I essentially had was the digital equivalent of a large room into which all 1865 of my books had been thrown, with no easy way of finding them unless I could remember the title. Extremely frustrating. I later found out that you can use the magnifying glass Search icon and enter a general keyword to locate a particular book in your library.

On the Paperwhite, any books not assigned to a category (a named "collection") eg, Fiction - Modern, show on the homescreen. Once assigned a category, that title disappears from the homescreen, so you can easily see how many books you need to "file" under any given category heading. I have 5 pages of category names on my Paperwhite. This feature is missing from the Fire HDX. If you ask it to show your library by category, it shows you all the categories, but not the books you haven't categorised yet (it's easy for me to get carried away on a download session and carry on downloading without stopping to put each one into a category). If you ask it to show you your books, it does exactly that, but with no indication anywhere to show if that book is already in a category. It just shows all the books, categorised or not.

I did eventually manage to get all my categories and all my books copied onto the Fire, but it was a lengthy process, and one that I think the developers really should have thought about before assuming that every Fire purchaser would be either a new Kindle user, or a Kindle user with just a handful of books.

Having bought the device primarily for portable book storage and reading, I thought I might as well have a look at some of the other things this Fire would do, so I started downloading apps from the app store. Then in the middle of looking at apps one evening, it suddenly came up with a blank black screen instead of the app store screen. I hit Mayday again. I was told this time that THE ONLY way round this problem was to deregister then reregister again.

"Hang on," I said, doesn't that mean I'll lose all my books, along with everything else I've downloaded onto it?" "Ah, yes, but you can just download them again."

Deep breath.

"I have more than 2 thousand books on here, and I am NOT about to go through all that AGAIN"! Mayday Man understood completely, sympathised entirely, but was unable to offer any better advice.

Mid-way through the conversation, the app store screen reappeared. Apropos nothing in particular. This disappearance of the app store screen is apparently an Amazon glitch that happens every now and then. Annoying. Just think, I could have taken his word, the Word Of Amazon, that the ONLY way to resolve this issue was to deregister my account and lose every single item so time-consumingly downloaded on it! Jeez, I understand that being stubborn isn't always considered a virtue, but boy am I glad I don't take everything I'm told as gospel.

It also quite often gets stuck mid-download from the app store and the Cloud. No-one seems to know why. I expect the official "solution" would be to deregister re-register.

Downloading books from Amazon is a far lengthier process on this Fire than it ever is on my Paperwhite. I've zero idea why, as Whispersync is enabled on both.

Reading books is also different on the Fire. The pages slide from one to the next, you don't tap to turn a page. It's nice having colour for seeing photographic images which were black and white on the Paperwhite, but Amazon still needs to sort out a format for authors to use with their photos so that the images don't stick at small and unviewable.

The other extremely irritating thing my new Fire HDX does is disconnect itself from my home wireless and insist it wants to connect to a BT WiFi..........I live in the middle of nowhere, am nowhere near any public WiFi spots that I'm aware of, and it very often decides it will not connect to my Homehub, but keeps putting that connection as "Saved" while insists on staying offline because it wants to connect to this BT Wi Fi that needs a password. I don't have the password because the connection is not mine. I have MY password for MY BT Homehub connection, but the device frequently will not allow me to get as far as verifying my Homehub connection, sticking stubbornly to this other one that isn't mine! Meanwhile, both my iPad and my Paperwhite will happily use my Homehub at the same time as the Fire is refusing to, so it isn't any problem with my router or anything. This in particular is annoying. As you can imagine!

The free apps from the app store are way more limited than for the iPad. And they give you a warning message to the effect that downloading from any other source may screw your device up. I haven't dared try downloading from anywhere else, just in case doing so adds to the ever-growing list of Things That Go Wrong Or Are Extremely Annoying!

The last Mayday Man I spoke to listened to my gripes and complaints, and sympathised with them all. He said it was very useful feedback and that he would email me to prove that he had passed all this "helpful" information on, and to confirm that there wasn't anything faulty with my new Kindle. Well, that was over a week ago, and no such email has materialised. So much for that, then.

The keyboard on the Fire 7" is too fiddly for me personally to use easily or with my usual keyboard speed. Even with my trusty stylus. It's just too small and crowded. If you're used to using an iPad keyboard, you will find the Kindle's keypad works differently. Yes, it's still a qwerty keyboard, but it doesn't switch automatically between numerical and character keyboards when you've used a number, as the iPad does. Not a big deal really.

The Fire doesn't have the ability to finger-pull the screen to enlarge an image. You have to double tap to switch between different enlargements of text and images, and it isn't consistently responsive in this aspect. It often gets stuck on an enlarged image or text and doesn't want to come back to normal size again.

I have found watching TV on it fairly good. Not as good as my iPad, but then I didn't buy it for watching programmes and films on. The much vaunted picture quality isn't especially useful on a 7" screen. Buy the bigger one if you want detailed TV and film.

I find using Facebook on this device a bit difficult. Not only is everything too small to see clearly, the android app for FB seems to have a different layout from the iiOS app, which is again different from using Fb on a pc. Probably just a question of getting used to it, but I'll stick to using my iPad. Ditto pretty much every website I've looked at via their Silk web browser.

I don't yet know easy or not it is to see the screen clearly outside in daylight or sunlight, though I imagine it will suffer the same glare and flare issues as other non-matte screens do.

If you are new to Kindles, you'll probably love this Fire HDX, but if you want it because your old Kindle is full, be prepared for a lot of annoying difficulties in transferring content from old to new.

***As an update to that last statement, I have to add that even if you are new to Kindles and don't have substantial amounts of content to copy over, there are umpteen truly irritating things about my Kindle Fire HDX. Please see further reviews from me on this topic! *****

I really feel that the developers should have paid more attention to the details of Kindle's primary use, which is as a book reading and library (book storage) device, rather than trying to compete with other tablets. I'm sure a lot of people will buy this because it compares very favourably per GB with the iPad mini, but if you're after more extensive storage for downloading books, it's a faff.

As I said, it's a love / hate relationship. I've come very close to sending it back more than once.

Oh, and don't EVER bother trying to complain to Amazon's Customer Services dept - you get a different advisor replying to each email you send, even when you've tried to directly reply to one of their utterly useless emails. You email them, someone replies with a (usually incorrect) summary of the problem. You reply, reiterating the problem, and a completely different advisor replies, with the same lack of understanding of the problem you've reported. You reply to that, someone new replies to you.......ad nauseum. It gets you precisely nowhere at all using their Customer Service email facility. It is unbelievably useless.

One Kindle Fire reviewer said he thought the Mayday button was useless as he'd only need it once for any set-up problems. I think it's a really useful feature - even if their knowledge is limited and you can find better solutions for yourself, you do at least get a real person to help you directly, and not someone from outside the UK writing or talking tosh to you. I hate their phone help as much as their email help!

I hope this is helpful if you are thinking of buying a Kindle Fire HDX.

3.0 out of 5 stars Kindle fire HDX, 29 Jan 2014
Its Ok but I feel that its not really mine and is on loan from Amazon who are monitoring every action . Also I don't like all the adverts that keep popping up every time I turn it on or the e-mails and surveys Amazon send every time I buy a book or an app. Its irritating.

ARRAY(0xafbe34f8)