on 3 December 2013
This is the third in the series so far. The writer has a wonderful visual style, one can see the colours in the scenery and the very realistic characters. Maria has been made redundant from her job in the law firm and has gone back to her small home town to be a temporary sherif. The old copper mine has been transformed into a tourist attraction but on the opening night a disaster strikes ! The story is fast moving and gripping to the last page .
on 6 December 2015
It was enjoyable to have a sequel to read as I like the personality of the main character but I didn't find the plot quite as good as the first novel or in fact the third novel in the series that I ' m currently reading. I like the main character but this plot was less interesting and the denouement raised but didn't really involve her in tackling local government fraud in her home town - which was the context for the novel - but skirted around this focusing on lots of one dimensional individuals and the death of one character we never know and relationships between a lot of childhood friends .I never really felt totally convinced by these friendships nor the motivations for the murders
on 26 August 2014
The story is pretty light and I found the murderer long before the end although the motive comes out of left field. The theme of the detective returining to her home town just as a spate of murders happens is a bit trite. The story keeps getting slowed by the detective constantly going weak-kneed every time her former crush appears. The most annoying element of the book is,however, the translation. I am sure the Finnish version reads well but the author is very badly served by the translator. The constant use of 'ain't' and the number of double negatives becomes annoying.
on 16 January 2014
I really enjoyed the content and learning more about Finland, the storyline was good and easy to follow and didn't want to finish it
on 9 June 2014
The story of a Finnish detective returning to her hometown. It appears that most of the people she knew there she now suspects may have been a murderer. Naturally, the murderer turns out not to be someone with whom she was close (yawn). Too much of the book is spent in her being weak-kneed at her idol being
on 3 January 2014
Excellent story and characters. In spite of the alien sounding names (to an Englishman at least.) The story moves fast and fascinating characters come and go. I soon became interested in what would happen to them and from then on was hooked.
I can't wait to read other books by the same author.
on 3 January 2015
I liked this because it was quirky and well written and set in a (to me) exotic setting. The plot line was fairly simple but the pace was good and I liked Maria and her hard drinking Finnish crew. Much less formulaic than a lot of scandi detective novels I've read recently.
on 1 January 2014
This continuation of the Maria Kallio story has an interesting setting in small-town Finland with its local politics and intrigues. The plot is fast moving and the characters convincingly portrayed.
on 14 April 2014
More information about Finnish life and customs help to make this unconventional hero easier to understand. A dark book full of colourful characters.
on 3 January 2014
Quite well written and the suspense maintained almost to the end. A good book to read when travelling as it keeps your attention