on 18 July 2013
I owe AAron Shepard a huge debt - I read Aiming at Amazon, POD for Profit and Perfect Pages before setting out as a small publisher - and he answered all my questions in those three books. I have now published thirteen titles, in hardback, paperback and as ebooks, and Aaron's books were always there to guide me.
This latest book on publishing colour books on Kindle is no exception. It is easy to follow and goes into the nitty gritty of what has to be done to produce a good colour book. There are a lot of pitfalls and this book covers all the ones I have come across. The amount of helpful information, the brilliant step-by-step guides, should make preparing your files for publishing a colour book relatively simple. In fact I had already published a book of paintings before reading this book, but I think I can make the next one better by following Aaron's suggestions. They are clear, detailed and full of outstanding advice. I can't praise PICTURES ON KINDLE highly enough. Rush out to buy it. The price may go up - I paid 1 UK penny for it - but it will be worth it at any (reasonable) price...
Thank you, Aaron.
Tessa Warburg
on 26 September 2013
Aaron Shepard's books are must-haves for anyone interested in producing books for Kindle. I also have his From Word to Kindle and HTML Fixes for Kindle. All invaluable - and I talk as someone who has suffered the pain of having to learn the hard way how to produce books for Kindle. I wish I had had these books when I started out. Even now they are still essential. I am a HUGE fan of the whole Kindle process. It has freed many of us from the tyranny of agents and elitist publishers. Do yourself a favour - buy these books (at the moment the best spent penny EVER) and learn from a Master.
VINE VOICEon 29 August 2014
A year ago Social Services asked me to put together a set of notes on what had been involved in coping, over three years, with the progressive development of my wife's vascular dementia. They were well received and, apparently, quickly became part of an interview procedure for prospective social workers. If, having read those notes, the candidate was still dry-eyed, the considered opinion was that they needed to reconsider their career path.

It was therefore logical, once my wife moved into permanent residential care, for those notes to be brought up to date, turned into something more comprehensive and made available as a Kindle book. In order to add `something' to the book I decided to include a number of photos relevant to the story. I wrote the book in Word 2010 and processed the images via Adobe Photoshop. Even though the inserted photographs looked excellent within the original Word document I quickly discovered Word insists on forcing a resize so that the images appear as thumbnails when viewed on the Kindle previewer. Absolutely useless - and with no obvious solution...

The always-helpful Amazon help team simply referred me to section 3.6.9 of Amazon Kindle Publishing Guidelines; it contains nothing but a few lines emphasising (not sure why) the need to maintain the correct aspect ratio. Not exactly helpful...

I was close to giving up the idea of illustrating the book when a Google search pointed me in the direction of Aaron Shepard's book. The information on image editing is well presented but, having worked with Photoshop and Dreamweaver for a long time, was of only passing interest to me. However...

Aaron solved my problem on page 95 after a simple statement `I know some readers will be tempted to skip over this because it sounds too technical, but please take my word for it: you can't afford to ignore this. In fact, for anyone producing a Kindle book with pictures in Word this may be the most important tip you get from this book!'

It wasn't exactly complicated and, a few pages later, my problem had been solved. The images in my proposed Kindle book now look excellent - and no, of course I'm not going to tell you how to do it. But Aaron is perfectly correct; it was definitely the most important tip I got from the book.

If you're battling with image sizing and placement within a Word document you intend to publish via Amazon's Kindle Direct Publishing just download this book. It's invaluable - and worth at least six stars.

And another of Aaron's books From Word to Kindle is equally invaluable

Aaron responded with the following e-mail:

Hi Terry. Great review! Thanks so much. And I'm glad I could prove so helpful, especially for such a valuable book.
on 21 September 2013
I think I have all of his books on self-help publishing and this one, like the others, is really, really helpful. It's targeted at adjusting pictures for Kindle, which is what I want, but the information is also useful for understanding how to tweak photo's etc. for electronic media generally.

one of the attributes of his self publishing books is there is no "fat", short and straight to the point and they address the key aspects. the writing is simple and easy to understand, he's not trying to fill pages.

I've published several Kindle books, but I'm never confident I've got the technology right. Now I feel a little more relaxed knowing I'm doing the same as an accomplished author and self publisher.

If you want to get into self publishing there are loads of books out there and I have read several. if I had to choose one author to recommend it would be Mr Shepard.
on 24 August 2013
If you want to include pictures in your ebook then this book gives you lots of information which is not obvious from the KDP site. At it's price it's excellent value and fills in a lot of gaps.

I would have awarded it five stars but there's little mention of CSS which would have been a useful addition. I also can't agree with Aaron's suggestion that cover images should be square to fit the thumbnail space Amazon allots. The space may be square but it's pretty obvious that Amazon expects a 1:1.6 aspect ratio and that the space is square for CD cover images.

These two points aside - get this book. You'll learn a lot.
on 24 August 2013
Clear concise and useful.............just it was not quite what I was looking for. I wanted to find out how to improve line drawing presentation ie maps.
on 13 July 2014
If you are running Photoshop then it will work for you. But I run Serif Photo plus 6 which is an easier program to run. The book is too detailed
on 14 March 2014
There are some great tips in this book if you are thinking of self publishing on Kindle and using any kind of art work or pictures. I have successfully used the information in this book to publish my latest children's picture books for Kindle, check them out... Twink the Unmagical Fairy. The ABC of Kooky Pets. Thanks Aaron Shepard for doing some of the hard work for me by publishing this book.
on 29 November 2013
This little book is filled with very good tips and tricks for working with pictures and optimizing them for Kindle.
At some parts it's require above average technical skills to accomplish described tasks.
All tips can be easily done with opensource software:
- Inkscape for vector images ( [...] )
- GIMP for raster images ( [...] )
on 3 February 2014
Well presented information that didn't tie you up with Jargon. Helped to highlight some errors I had introduced in to my own imagery used within eBooks (ePun and .mobi files). If you produce or intend to produce books for ereaders, then this publication will be of help.

Worth the money.