Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.33

on 15 November 2014
This would've quite easily made 5 stars were it not for some daft mistakes that I think were a bit sloppy. I greatly enjoyed the whole story. It was something quite different to your run-of-the-mill murder-mystery for sure and held my interest. I despised Kate pretty much the whole way through. She's a real piece of work !! I've never had time for liars and she told some astounding porkies at times. However, she had a LOT of secrets and intrigue throughout her life as well and just didn't always cover herself properly. If you're going to be a liar of the highest calibre you have to have THE most amazing memory...
I'll certainly pick up the next story this author releases. All that cost it a star for me were some of my usual niggles...dropped speechmarks, misused apostrophes, persistent non-capitalisation of the word French, spelling jamb as jam,the word they being inexplicably added to a sentence twice at one point and the worst spelling mistake for me was using persepective when she meant prospective. Ouch !!
Another little irritation was that she kept referring to her father's right eye. Quite peculiar and needless and it became annoying after around the 6th time !! Tony's maths' skills weren't all that, either, when he worked out somebody would be in their fifties. He was easily a decade out and I thought that a little careless.
However, I've seen worse mistakes in books by best-selling authors and I'd recommend this regardless.
on 30 May 2014
I've had my eye on this volume for some time. In fact, ever since it was a fledging project on a writers' website. I didn't want to read all of it then, but preferred to wait until it was published, as I was sure it would be, to read it properly.

How lovely to find a book which is well written, engaging from the outset and well finished. How relaxing and peaceful to read a text without stopping to wonder at typos, flubs and the like, as there were none that I could see, and the writing flowed well.

How interesting to notice the development of the plot, and not to want to flick to the end to cheat, to see how it ended, but to be perfectly content to read every word and wait for the final twists to reveal themselves.

I don't read a lot of books in this genre. At least, I say I don't. But give me one as well written and as slick as this, and I have no hesitation in settling down for a few days' peaceful engagement. Thank you, Elizabeth, for giving us a careful, thoughtful story in which you have clearly made a huge investment. The result is an excellent piece of fiction, educative, engrossing and delightful to read.

Fran Macilvey, Author, 'Trapped: My Life With Cerebral Palsy'
on 31 August 2014
I just could not get into this book. I was seduced by the opening line into buying it, but what followed was boring disappointment. I made two attempts at reading it, but found the lead character, Kate too unlikable and there was just far too much filler and background for my liking. Far too much 'telling' and hardly any 'showing'. I read the good reviews on the amazon.com site and on Goodreads which encouraged me to have another stab at the book, but I was just left feeling annoyed that I had wasted my precious time. Most reviewers say that the last 50 pages is where all the twists and turns happen, but I want to enjoy the whole book, not just the ending.
on 3 July 2013
"In 1986, a man was murdered. I was beaten and raped. The ensuing trial dominated local headlines until my eyewitness testimony sent a man named Jules Jefferson to prison for life.

I lied."

You what? Oh, my.

Common wisdom says an author should grab the reader from the first few words, which is correct (or at least a good idea if you don't want to lose too many readers). But that same advice says the way you do that is with action or conflict of some kind. I'm not sure these first words fit any of the most touted techniques for grabbing a reader's attention, but they sure did mine.

From those first words we slowly learn what happens when Jefferson, convicted based on the narrator Kate's testimony, is exonerated based on DNA evidence as she tells her side of the story. I'm hesitant to go into any kind of detail for fear of a spoiler other than to say that despite knowing from the outset that Kate knew she lied (and therefore must have some clue what the truth is) that each new revelation changed my perception of where the story was going, right up to the very end. A well written, unpredictable story. You'll love it.

**Originally written for "Books and Pals" book blog. May have received a free review copy. **
on 10 September 2014
I saw the plot twist a mile off