5.0 out of 5 stars Open Your Eyes
Published on 4 Feb. 2011 by J. G. Futers

3.0 out of 5 stars Less than I hoped for but still good value
The seller was prompt, the service good. My disappointment lies with the fact that the stars are still just light and nothing dramatic can be seen with a telescope of this magnitude. Having said that, I have been excited to see moons around Jupiter and the rings of Saturn, and the moon is fantastic. I struggled to find advice on what telescope to buy and bit the bullet...
Published on 12 April 2011 by Keith Lawson

5.0 out of 5 stars Open Your Eyes, 4 Feb. 2011
J. G. Futers "Wee Geordie" (Peeblesshire, Scotland) - See all my reviews
Ideal beginner telescope, the SkyWatcher 130P comes with a fairly robust EQ-2 tripod mount, a 10 and 25mm objective lenses (relatively good quality), a red-dot finder and a good operating manual. The "P" stands for parabolic mirror which offers better views than the convex mirrors traditionally used in Newtonian telescopes. (The 130PM is the same 'scope but with the addition of an RA motor drive!)
The whole package arrives in a single well packed box; spend a bit of time reading the assembly instructions before decanting the parts! The tripod goes together easily enough but would benefit from the application of some Lithium grease to all sliding faces, especially the RA and DEC swivvles on the "head".
The 'scope is of the Newtonian design, so you look into the side of the top of the tube and not the end. The mirrors are of excellent quality and the tube virtually free of internal reflections but the secondary mirror spider is close to the opening of the tube and will reflect street light and moonlight into the optical path if they are too close to the field of view (a simple cardboard "hood" can be made to elliminate this). I found the scope arrived fully collimated so it was ready to use as soon as it was assembled.
Set up the red-dot finder in daylight as per instructions using the 25mm lens, aim it at a distant landmark and adjust till the landmark appears (upside down and centred) in the lens (NEVER LOOK AT THE SUN)
All you need now is a dark night and clear sky to enjoy a whole new world. This design of 'scope is designed to direct the maximum amount of light to the eyepiece: the tube dust cap has a second (small) cap in it: remove only the small cap to allow the observation of the moon without being "blinded" (or use a moon filter).
To complete the ensemble the beginner might consider adding a Planisphere Philip's Planisphere: Northern 51.5 Degrees - British Isles, Northern Europe Northern USA and Canada (Philip's Astronomy), a red light torch OVL Dual Beam Astronomers Torch a moon filter Celestron Moon Filter, a barlow lens Telescope 2x Barlow For Increasing your magnification, and a guide to the night sky Guide to Stars and Planets (Philip's Astronomy) or Universe: The Definitive Visual Guide (Astronomy)
Note: this is a "small" scope; so the moon will be spectacular but planets will be just small discs with moons and rings, however the light gathering power of the 'scope will bring nebulae and galaxies into view (when you know where to look!) and more stars than you could imagine!! Open your eyes and enjoy!!!
O.V.L (Optical Vision Ltd who import Skyatcher Telescopes) often run offers for any-one who buys one of these 'scopes. I bought a superb filter and eyepiece kit for £69 (saving about £130). They don't sell 'scopes direct but offer an excellent back-up service (spares etc.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't decide on a scope? Just buy it!, 16 Jan. 2013
flashleg8 (Hall-of-the-Larks) - See all my reviews
I purchased this telescope after weeks of indecision about what kind of scope to buy. Too much indecision. The bottom line of all the research I done was, buy the best scope you can afford. Simple. This fell in my price range - better than a 114mm aperture (around £100) and not as good as a 150mm aperture (more than £300). I wasn't disappointed with this. It's a sturdy piece of kit and comes with comprehensive instructions. You need to get used to the non-intuitive mount, but other than that its pretty simple to set up. The red dot finder works fine and is easy to align. Comes with a 10mm and 25mm eyepiece. I've ordered a cheap 2 x Barlow lens and a moon filter that I've not had a chance to use yet. I would recommend buying "Turn Left at Orion" a book to show what are the interesting things to look at and what they realistically look like through a small scope. Like other people have said, you need to be realistic about what you will see with any telescope - you won't get Hubble type views! First thing I looked at was Jupiter (the brightest thing in the sky - no moon yet!). You can see a surprising amount of detail and four moons. Next thing was M42 nebula on Orion's belt, also stunning.
As I said at the start, you can look and weigh up forever - but you'd better spend your time out looking at the sky!
Quick delivery too!

5.0 out of 5 stars This telescope ROCKS!, 4 Jan. 2013
Bought this after reading the reviews as I had no idea how to choose a first telescope! So far its been absolutely brilliant - we can see the craters on the moon and the spot where Apollo landed! We can also see the red stripes on Jupiter and all jupiter's moons -just awesome. We have got the bug !

Highly recommend this for a starter telescope. Excellent value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 3 Feb. 2013
Was torn between this and the skyliner 150p on a dob mount. Really happy with my purchase. Feels well built and the viewing is great.

I would get a barlow lens (not included) and a moon filter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality piece of kit, very happy., 18 Jan. 2013
I did a fair bit of research on entry level telescopes before parting with my cash. Taking feedback from multiple sources
(online reviews, sky at night magazine, etc etc) this seemed to be the best choice for the money.
Plenty of people recommending, it so I took the plunge, and boy am I glad I did !

When the telescope arrived the first thing that struck me was how well packaged it was. So plus points already.
Out of the package it seems like a sturdy piece of kit for the money, again I was impressed.

Read the instructions, read them again, then again. Finally I set it up, mirror seems to be aligned perfectly, no collimation
required. And the red dot pointer is almost bang on with no adjustment either. Certainly close enough to allow me to find
jupiter and all 4 moons on my first attempt :o). And I could clearly see cloud bands on Jupiter, and that's with the stock
lenses which are quite poor in the scale of things I hear.

So I'm a beginner and I managed to find and see Jupiter and all four moons straight away, that should tell you a bit.
I've since tried the Orion nebula and can see a misty patch, and I've also seen some great detail on the moon.
Next target to tick off the list ... Saturn....

So in conclusion very happy with my purchase, I can't see how you can do better for the money.

Now to order some better eyepieces and kit to connect a DSLR for a bit of astrophotography :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 2 May 2013
This telescope truly is amazing - the heavens will reveal themselves with this piece of kit. The optics are great. It is an amazing all rounder - great for nebulae, galaxies, could be better on planets (still very good) but moon was great. Stunning! For more, please see my review website of the product - [...] Yes, I liked it that much!

4.0 out of 5 stars A good starter scope!, 19 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Skywatcher Explorer 130P f / 650 Newton Telescope with Parabolic Mirror 5.1 Inches Silver (Accessory)
I am 15 years old and i got into stuff like planets because mu uncle is very much into it and he is very clever when it comes to planets and other things to do with space and so because of him i have got into it. After i looked at the moon for the first time through his telescope ( his is £300) at the moon i was amazed and straight away wanted a telescope. i asked him for what to get and gave him my price range and he told me about this and so i got it and this is the first telescope i have ever had. i have to say i am very pleased with it. the moon looks great with it. i did also buy a 6mm eye piece as the lowest you get with this is a 10 and you don't always get to see it but when you do its amazing, through my 6mm eye piece i could see the bands (brown lines) of jupiter which was great so i would highly recommend this as a beginner scope and if you continue to enjoy space then move on to a more expensive model in the future!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great telescope, 18 Aug. 2014
This is a great scope. Be realistic about what you expect to see and you will not be dissapointed. You'll see Jupiter (2 x bands and larger moons visible), the Orion Nebula (stunning), the Pleiades (just dots of light, but hundreds more than without a scope), deep sky nebula, globular clusters and even galaxies. The Leo Trio is quite a site even through a scope this size, and of course Andromeda.

Quite simply forget about some of the Hubble images you see, there's a reason why they are so good, the scope is massive. In summary, I can see a smudge of light, but it's actually a galaxy 35 million light years away, 100,000 light years across and is visible through a 650mm metal tube that cost under 200 quid. Awesome.

5.0 out of 5 stars Astronomy, 26 May 2013
Telescope arrive within the time frame promised and was well packaged/protected. Very impressed by the suppliers.

As a complete beginner to astronomy I was impressed by the ease of set up and use. Have used on several occasions, weather permitting, and had a couple of all nighters. The time lfies by and by using a suitable app have had no problems locating stars, constellations, planets etc.

Would recommend this to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awsome, 17 Jun. 2014
First off, don't tell your wife how big this is.... She won't be happy! Secondly this telescope is amazing. It arrived within a few days of ordering, exactly on my birthday which was cool and was pacaged really really well. I'm now 39 but felt like a kid as I ripped the various boxes open. After laying all of the pieces out on the floor, I done the right thing and read the instructions and promptly started to build my telescope which was easy enough. Now living in Liverpool, clouds and rain are pretty much guaranteed, so in the two weeks I've owned my telescope I've used it for about two and a half maybe three hrs yet I haven't been disappointed. The Moon is... Outstanding. I only have two lenses at the moment 25-10 mm and the views are amazing. I'm currently waiting for a x2 Barlow lens and a 6 mm Plossl lens and for someone to invent a giant hoover to suck up all the annoying clouds at night. All in all I am more than happy with my Skywatcher 130 telescope and I would heartilly recommend anyone taking up the hobby to buy this.