Size: 3TB|Package Type: Frustration-Free Packaging|Change

on 26 January 2014
This review is specifically for the product shipped by Amazon (not third party supplier)

Product supplied is WD20EFRX-68EUZN0 which is a drive with no recognised Western Digital warranty.
Ironically the Express extended warranty which extends to 4 years, cannot be applied to the supplied drive as it is an OEM drive.

Therefore the product combination is an invalid one, you will have an extended warranty that you cannot use. The warranty is only one year of Amazon warranty, not 4 four years of WD warranty.

On the bonus side the drives I ordered came with a plastic holder in a drive box, which was in turn packaged in another box with scrunched up paper as further packaging protection. Not the jiffy bag and single layer of bubble wrap reported in some reviews. (that was a relief). But returned mine as I was wanting 4 years WD express warranty (24 hour service), not Amazon 1 year.
33 comments| 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 February 2014
This review focuses on the unit as advertised, not the actual performance of the HDD itself.

It arrived promptly and well packaged. The first thing I did was go onto the WD website to register it and input extended warranty code (this comes in a booklet with a scratch panel). This is where the problems started, as once the HDD serial number was input it was then reported as "NO LIMITED WARRANTY". According to the WD website this means the product was originally sold to a system manufacturer - i.e. Not a retail product!!!!

Amazon's response was to send a replacement which, when I tried to register it, gave the same status from WD.

I reported the situation with the second HDD to Amazon, and they said they would look into it - but here I am 4 weeks later none the wiser. WD have dragged their heels on this as well. I raised the issue directly with them when nothing was forthcoming from Amazon, and I've had to provide photographic evidence of the unit along with copies of the receipt as proof of purchase. They say they are chasing this up with Amazon, but meanwhile I'm left waiting to know if the HDD does actually have the extended warranty I specifically chose and paid for before I can use it - or indeed any warranty at all!!!!

Shameful service all around, and the cost of telephone calls to customer services has added a significant premium to the total cost of the product. I did read the reviews of others who had experienced similar, but naively though Amazon would have sorted this - clearly not.

CAVEAT EMPTOR!!!!!!!!!!!
on 18 November 2014
I ordered this drive, but after reading other reviews I went with shipping in certified Frustration-Free Packaging.. Riiiight. See picture for reference. No foam, no air bubbles, just some paper and the drive stuffed in between. It will come as no surprise, the drive cannot be recognized by my NAS (and it is fully supported as you can buy the enclosure with the exact same drives..). So all in all, Amazon has dropped the ball, the drive is visible in my PC but when I try to format it, returns an error = DOA! Oh, did I mention incredible vibration it was producing? Only after the replacement I realized it was the malfunctioning drive responsible for it, earlier I thought it was the enclosure..

UPDATE: After the initial complain and choosing a replacement, the second drive arrived packed in the original packaging in a small box with plastic holders on both ends holding the drive suspended, away from any edge of the box. This seem to do the trick as I am happy to report this drive appears to be in good health. To summaries, with any hard drive, always choose FFP but if you receive the drive packed any other way, request a replacement as it is more then likely, the drive is already dead or soon will be. I could change the rating, but decided against it, to make sure ppl get to read my review and be wary what to look for. Otherwise, the 2nd drive would get 5 stars. It's the experience that I have rated so low..
44 comments| 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 November 2014
There are great drives for NAS purposes, long lasting and quick enough for NAS purposes. I have 3 of these in my homeserver working very well. One word of caution though, if you are purchasing the extended warranty then you need to look-out for the warranty booklet that comes in the packaging. This booklet contains a code for which you need to activate the extra years warranty. In the drive that I just purchased the booklet was missing, but on reflection, if I had not been so fastidious checking the warranty book in the last 2 drives I would not have known that it was missing. So my advice is to make sure you check this booklet and register the warranty. I am betting that 99% of people forget to check this and therefore pay for a warranty that they dont get to use.

The Warranty is why I give this 3 stars. Personally I would expect that the extended warranty would be applied to the serial number without the added pressure of pre registration.
on 16 September 2013
As reported above, my hard drive arrived and upon checking the warranty with WD, comes with a 3 year out of region warranty which which means they will not honour the warranty in the UK

Amazon will cover you for one year, but then why did you spend more on the Red with it's 3 year warranty?

Expect this to be removed from the website soon.
on 22 February 2014
I got one of these for my desktop PC, as the Green drive had a lesser warranty.

The frustration free packaging is great, but at first glance I though I this was an open box drive, but this is normal - check the 3TB green for pictures of the FFP (brown box with security tape). Drive is well protected in static bag and suspended by two plastic moulds. I think I prefer the old foam filled boxes for my delicate drives.

So far no issues with using this as a standard PC drive. Format took a good few hours - imo best to do full format to make sure the drive is working properly, as you don't want to find bad sectors after you move your data.

Around the warranty, I had read that the OEM drives that Amazon supplies were showing as out of region (part of the reason I took this one), and mine did initially show that after registering as well, until I updated my country (seems USA is the default).

Just be warned when you scratch the extended warranty card, the activation code comes off easily when you scratch to reveal. I just managed to salvage my code (and I had to update my country before it worked).
on 24 November 2015
Great hard drive! I bought 2x2tb of these for my NAS drive and have been using them for about a year now and not one hiccup (touch wood!). It has been permanently in use for nearly a year and bought them as they are built specifically for that use as always on servers.
on 7 March 2015
I managed to register the drives fine and extend the warranty without a problem - if you order the extended warranty drive then just remember that the "serial number" in the inside cover of the extended warranty book isn't the drive serial number. The serial number you need to register the drive is printed on the top of the drive.
on 19 March 2015
Bought to put in a Synology DS215j - as per that review - all went perfectly and drives are working quietly, cool and no disk errors. Came in the Frustration Free packaging correctly with Static Bag and proper HDD holders in the right size box - so all arrived in good condition. What more can you ask for.
on 7 February 2016
Update: I changed my review from 2 stars to 4. After opening a "Support Case" with WD about this, I was able to register the drive. They never answered it but two days after opening the "Support Case", I tried to register the drive again. It was accepted and it's now listed as having a 3 year warranty.

Thank you WD! You've kept a client. I already bought another 3TB Red to complete my RAID setup (I hope I don't have to go through the same steps again to be able to register it! I would have given a 5 star review if it wasn't for this problem with warranty).

[Original review:] I'm having the same problem other reviewers had in registering the drive for the WD warranty. Basically, I'm told it doesn't have a WD warranty because it is an OEM product. I' trying to have WD change its position and will edit this review if anything changes.

Besides this, the drive appears to be fine. Silent and fast. But one of the reasons I chose WD was because of the WD warranty!