Format: Audio CD|Change

on 27 January 2014
Although I'm a huge fan of disco, I didn't come across The Duncan Sisters until around 1996, when I found a 12" of "Boys will be boys" in pristine condition in a record store that was closing down. And so my love affair began!! From the unforgettable twang of the country music guitar in the aforementioned 12" single to the disco sweetness of "Love is on the way", this CD is a blinder from start to finish. The sisters' voices blend so well together and they add an extra dimension to the depth of the vocals, which sound wonderful. Even the slower tracks are worth listening to because they sound so good. It's not very often that I get a CD that I want to play over again once I get it, but this one is going round again for the third time today (twice this morning and once after lunch!). The disco is so infectious and happy sounding that I can't recommend this CD highly enough.
on 27 February 2016
If one album can encapsulate the joy and sheer fun that was disco in the 70's, then you can't go far wrong with The Duncan Sisters. Every track has that strong musical genius that the best disco music delivered either in the discos or at full blast in your bedroom on a Saturday night. Wherever the venue, the Duncan Sister's fab album from 1979 will raise the roof. The production here is at premium quality and the beats are hard for any rhythmic feet to ignore!
The frothy, anthemic disco-pop of "The Sadness in My Eyes" with it's Shangri-La's inspired intro kicks off some of the best vocals and catchy hooks that would never see any gay club dance floor ever empty. Infectious and directly to the point, there's no fillers here. "Boys Will Be Boys" is as camp as it sounds with frantic string arrangements and hypnotic gurgling synths that chug away as the girls crank the fun up yet another notch without sounding anything close to cheesy. It's pure class and a nearly forgotten gem of a bright and exciting age that if not for the well respected Disco recharge label who have done a fine job of re-mastering and repackaging to the quality this brilliant album deserves. For the purists, some of the greatest musicianship and arrangements shine through on all the tracks, (Check out some of the finest harmonica playing in the break of the honey-dripping gorgeous "Rock Along Slowly", it's a goose-bump moment). it does beg the question, how was this album practically ignored, (at least in the UK) in it's original vinyl glory in it's hey-day?
All I can say is Don't miss out again and get it quick. Beg steal or borrow a copy. Put on your disco flares and boogie shoes, dust down the glitterball and throw all inhibitions away with the turgid, plastic dance music of today and get on the real disco train. THIS IS ESSENTIAL!
on 27 January 2014
This is probably one of the best disco albums of all time and so rare. The highlight is the sublime 'Sadness in my Eyes' although every track is good. I can't recommend this cd enough. Buy and enjoy!
on 19 February 2014
I've been purchasing all Disco Recharge releases because quite frankly I trust their taste. I don't really like some of their reissues however, and last week I received the Pinocchio reissue and I thought that it was simply a waste of resources. I have never listened to anything that bad. Really the bottom of the barrel.
Cue receipt of The Duncan Sisters, whom I knew nothing about. I didn't remember that Boys Will Be Boys is on a Disco Discharge album.
I was not even going to play it because I feared the worst given the latest disappointment.
But as soon as the music started playing, I was so relieved at what kind of music I was hearing! Really pleased!
There isn't a song I don't like. I really like their voices, the music, how it all works together, even the slower songs.
I highly recommend this! Can't believe this is from 1979, I would have said early 80s.
Thank you Disco Recharge.
on 18 August 2014
A very welcome surprise. A really great disco album - who'da thought? The Duncan Sisters has worn well because the singing, the songs, the arrangements and the production are all excellent and unlike so many of the cookie-cutter productions of the time. TDS combines the relentless beat of Eurodisco (and those strings!) with the funkiness of the American experience, and the sisters' vocals have great power and energy. This really makes me wonder how many other lost treasures from the period will be found - really loving this album! I'm watching Disco Recharge closely for future releases!
on 17 August 2015
I like disco and Ive been around long enough to remember the real thing as it was happening. However, somehow this release has escaped my ears and my collection. Others have said that this album has a slight pop undertone and I would agree it does.

However, I would have paid the price of the CD just to get my hands on the track "Outside Love". With an intro consisting of a combination of Devils Gun by CJ and Co and Two Hot For Love by THP, it is enough to get the hairs on the back of your neck standing on end, and then..... those vocals, those notes and those harmonies..... what can I say a belter "that's disco heaven"!!!!

Some other good tracks here that I also enjoy and a couple of ballads that for some reason remind me of the sound created by Love Unlimited under Barry White particularly,"Rock around Slowly".

But ohh ohh ohh for me its all about "Outside Love" - This is why I keep on buying music and keep on searching
on 3 February 2014
Outside Love, Sadness In My Eyes and Rock Along Slowly are superb songs. I'm happy this has finally been given the CD treatment.
on 3 July 2014
Finally on cd boys will be boys and sadness in your eyes are simply 1st class DISCO
on 27 June 2016