on 3 July 2013
An interesting mix of electronica and world music from Real World Records, which was established by WOMAD and Peter Gabriel over 30 years ago to help talented artists from around the world get international audiences. After a relaxing introduction with Window Seat from Portico Quartet, you get a pounding electronic track, Shadowman from Afro Celt Sound System, which wouldn't sound out of place in some action movie soundtrack. Charlie Winston's I Love Your Smile is a jazzy ballad which sounds like Supertramp with a muted trumpet. He sings a bit like Chris Martin too.

We get some straight forward indie rock from Black Swan effect with Winter Sun, and Hear me cry is a mellow instrumental with stabs of harmonica and acoustic guitars in washes of delay. Yungchen Lhamo has a plaintive song with with acoustic rhythms and shimmery electronically treated guitars. Maryam Mursal brings in a funky bass rhythm and a string section for Kufilaw (Take Care). Speaking in Tongues 1 and Excuse me are acappella performances, the first a percussive sounding piece that may or may not be actual lyrics by Sheila Chandra, the second is passionate song from Papa Wemba. Sevara Nazarkhan closes the sampler with Yor-Yor (Song to the Bride) which progress from its simple flute and percussion to full fledged song with an engaging melody line on a Dutar.

If you like electronica, world music or any sort of meditative songs with interesting textures and rhythmic ideas, it's worth checking this out.
on 8 July 2014
This was a free copy and bare the Papa Wemba acapella - which prompted me to download it - I discovered Chila Chandra with her "Speaking in tongues" song that is mind-blowing. Worth getting it for those reasons... I'm sure that there are better songs from Real World's catalogue, but this compilation falls flat to me.
on 29 September 2015
Amazon sampler with 10 pieces of world music and songs by various artistes, mostly enjoyable. A real cosmopolitan mix, I liked the exotic Sheila Chandra's "speaking in tongues", also Sevara Nazarkhan singing "song to the bride".
on 16 August 2013
I like the eclectic mix of music that Real World Records put out. This is no exception. Reminders of summery afternoons at the Womad festival make this a perfect sampler for anyone wanting to hear what is on offer there.
on 19 July 2013
If you fancy something a bit different you won't be disappointed here. A very worthwhile freebie sampler. You get to check out original sounds you wouldn't necessarily buy. Somewhere in this mix is the sound of the future.
on 7 September 2013
Okay music is down to taste,this is not for me,I think it's well played but there isn't a memorable tune amongst them.
on 14 March 2014
Not my choice of music, but the quality of the recording is good. Some people would love it but sorry , not for me.
on 6 January 2016
As samplers go,awesome.
on 26 December 2014
Disappointing
on 13 July 2013
Thank you Amazon for this great freebie. Love all the tracks on this Real World Records sampler. I have been a fan of the Real World series for a long time so to get this compilation for free is most excellent. Some beautiful music on here.