on 21 August 2015
This is a very confused, poorly written book which just doesn't explain itself clearly.

I'm SQL Server BI specialist with +15years SQL Server experience. I want to use SharePoint 2013 to surface BI content to consumers. I have visions of "process centric BI pages/sites" on our SharePoint 2013 intranet. Imagine logging in to a "Revenue BI" intranet page that contains key visualisations there on the page alongside interactive charts & links to SSRS reports, data models (UDM & Tabular), supporting documents and other related sites on the intranet.

Well with this book to hand you'll have to continue to imagine because it won't help with any of this.

If we take an example - interactive PowerView reports embedded in the page so they are surfaced within the browser shell - I have questions such as:
- Do I need to install SSRS in SharePoint Interactive Mode?
- or PowerPivot for SharePoint?
- or a SSAS Tabular instance?
- or some combination of the above?
- do I build my xVelocity models in Excel and save the PowerPivot to SharePoint?
- or in Visual Studio and deploy to a SSAS Tabular instance?
- if I need PowerPivot for SharePoint where do I install this? On a separate SQL host or one of the servers in the SharePoint farm? If I install it inside the farm does this mean that when an Excel PowerPivot workbook is opened the xVelocity engine grabs & holds potentially GBs of memory inside the farm to support the processed data model (something that my SharePoint admin would go mad about)?

This book shows you how to build end-user items without bother to explain how to actually set-up & configure SharePoint to support all these apps/components/lists/libraries/whatever-else-SharePoint-decides to call.

I appreciate this is a new tech to me and as such I'm on a learning curve but SharePoint feels like a real dogs dinner which this book does very little to demystify.
on 22 December 2013
the book general explain the solutions microsoft offer, this is not practical book that I can go and start working, felt like microsoft publoshong their tools