5.0 out of 5 stars Best read of the year by far!
This has to be one of the most beautiful novels I have ever read about Love, loss, heartbreak, healing and destiny. There is plenty of the above to keep you hooked from the very first page.

Published 24 months ago by Amazon User

2.0 out of 5 stars Meh.
I had hopes for this book and it was a disappointment blah blah blah. I read one of her other books and this was not even in the same league. Like it was written by a different author.
Sorry to say it was rather boring and I had to skip quite a bit of it. Also, predictable much? SO obvious that Chris is the weird water bucket guy. Sorry for the spoiler. Lastly VERY...
Published 13 months ago by katie

5.0 out of 5 stars Best read of the year by far!, 16 July 2013
This review is from: Left Drowning (Kindle Edition)

Blythe McGuire is the kind of girl that has been dealt a really shitty hand. Along with her brother James, she desperately wants to move forward but hasn't got a clue how to do that. That fateful night, the fire ripped apart everything she knew and loved and left both her and James with a broken mess that they didn't know how to piece together. Blythe feels suffocated by the overwhelming feelings of despair and confusion. Not only that, there are many things she needs to find the answers to and pieces that she needs to put together to make sense of her life and to move forward with her future.

Blythe meets Chris, his younger brother Sabin (who is my favourite by the way!), and their younger twin brother and sister Eric and Estelle who are all attending Matthews College, and they change her life for ever. The connection to Chris is instant and unexplainable. He is her salvation and her protector in many ways. He helps to make her see the world in another colour other than grey.

They, and mostly Chris, are saving me. Or teaching me to save myself. He is my port in the storm, and that's why I feel comfortable with what I'm going to do. Chris is going to have to be strong, but I have hope that the story I'm about to tell him will help me, free me even. He is the one person with whom I will remember what I have forgotten.

But, poor Chris has his own demons. that boy broke my heart into a hundred different pieces...several times. He is so damn strong but his hurt and pain are deep seated and he is good at hiding it on the surface. Blythe is the one person he can't hide it from though and she can see that he is drowning in the trauma from his past that haunts him. He is slipping into a depression that threatens to take him to a dark, dark place, and he knows that the only way back up may break him. The way Blythe makes him feel is both exhilarating and frightening, because to open up your heart to let someone in, you risk some of your demons from the past escaping and coming to the surface.

"You said something last night that was completely wrong. I could never touch anyone the way that I touch you. And I will never regret falling in love with you. Don't forget that."

And that is how we say good-bye.

The whole of the Shepherd family have experienced more grief and upset than they should ever encounter and they are all struggling to deal with it effectively. Little pieces will unravel themselves as the story goes on but you don't find out the extent of their pain until much further on. It hit me like a wrecking ball and I found myself breathless and hurting along with them.

"Of course as much as I want his walls to come down, I don't know what they'll look like when they crash."

Sabin is the comic, always trying to put a funny spin on things, and is the one that I think would give the best cuddles!! He has so much love to give but for all his bravado, he is just a lost little boy who just wants to move on but doesn't know how. He feels guilt for the wrongs Chris had to endure but knows there was no other way. He seems strong but there's only so much pressure he can take before it starts to consume him.He is my secret favourite and I would love to know more about him.

Eric is the quieter one of them. He is gentle, reasonably level headed and suffering in silence. His boyfriend Zach is obviously head over heels in love with him and they are such a cute couple.

Then there's Estelle, she's loud, funny and has an unwavering faith in god. She uses her faith to get her through the bad times and believes it heals her somehow.

They are a mismatch of characters, but they all compliment each other and their support for each other as a family is beautiful. From the minute they meet, they accept Blythe as part of their family and they all make up parts of different picture puzzles, that somehow fit together perfectly.

For all the angst, drama and painful heartbreak in this story, there is also some scorching hot scenes. There was one in particular that sucked me in so deep, I was left feeling a little breathless too! It reads with such ease that you feel like a voyeur. Every breath, every whisper and every little piece of emotion came across in high quality technicolour.

"My pleasure with him is more complete, more layered, more overwhelming than anything that I could give myself."

I can honestly say, this is the best book I have read so far this year. It took me to another place, held me tight and didn't let go until my broken heart was mended again.

5++ Beautiful, emotional, painful, rollercoaster stars!!

5.0 out of 5 stars You must read this!, 16 July 2013
This review is from: Left Drowning (Kindle Edition)
This is definitely a work of art! I started at 8am and couldn't put it down! What a lovely story. The characters are superbly written and I loved Chris and Blythe. Their relationship was at times heart breaking yet I could identify with their characters. You won't be disappointed, treat yourself to some escapism.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gut wrenching, 10 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Left Drowning (Kindle Edition)
This was beautifully written and cleverly plotted but a little too angsty for me.
The first half is a slow burn, friends to lovers story as Chris helps bring Blythe back to life after the death of her parents. I loved the story up until this point, there were lots of belly tingling moments, even with the heartbreaking circumstances. Then around 60% their story took a turn and without spoiling it for anyone else, I really lost faith in Chris. I understand the reasons for what he did, but I didn't like it. I would've preferred Blythe to be stronger, behave a little less like a patient doormat, waiting on him to find himself. I was cross with him, cross with her...while powerful, it didn't make for a very pleasant read for me.
The ending was fine, but doesn't feel very permanent to me. I can understand why so many people love this, but I still feel unsettled by what I just read and not very optimistic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can a book be too good???, 6 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Left Drowning (Paperback)
Just wanted to take a moment to share my thoughts on Left Drowning. This book is truly fantastic! I bought it the day it was released and I knew I was in for a heart wrenching, wild ride. I was not disappointed. Everything about this book was perfect. I adored the characters. I found myself thinking about them when I wasn't reading. (Not that I was able to put this book down for any amount of time, but still.) I can't say anything specific because I don't want to spoil anything for you. Just know that your heart will be broken apart and glued back together several times while reading Left Drowning, but you'll love every second of it.

Jessica Park is a brilliant writer. Her books are like a jigsaw puzzle you can't wait to finish. And when you snap in that last piece, you're rewarded with the most amazing experience. I will read anything this woman writes. (Even her grocery shopping list!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 19 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Left Drowning (Kindle Edition)
Just beautiful, such a heartwrenching, emotional journey for all of them, their paths crossed and their fate was sealed without them even realising it.
Wonderful writing, highly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 22 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Left Drowning (Kindle Edition)
I totally loved this book, and Blythe, Chris, Sabin, Eric, Estelle & James's story was just so moving & warm yet heartbreaking. I read this thanks to a recommendation on Facebook from Colleen Hoover, and I'm so glad i did - I totallg 100% recommend this beautiful story!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 30 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Left Drowning (Kindle Edition)
Wow Got this book free but would have happily paid. A true heart wrenching story and a book I won't forget in a hurry. Will be looking for more of Jessica's books a very talented author.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic, 29 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Left Drowning (Kindle Edition)
This book is the most fantastic free book I have read the author Jessica park has a unique way of developing loveable characters. The story is about a girls journey in life from heart break to finding love it is so beautifully written. The emotion and feeling in the book takes you on the journey with Blythe I could not put this book down. Love love loved this book :-)

4.0 out of 5 stars Left drowning, 28 July 2013
This review is from: Left Drowning (Kindle Edition)
I wasnt really to keen on this book to start with but i ended up loving it, even when christopher was being an ass. A good read

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute and heart warming, 14 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Left Drowning (Kindle Edition)
I didn't think I would enjoy this book, as the first chapter didn't grab my attention so I changed books. How foolish of me...
Wow am I glad I decided to given it another chance. It was truly a wonderful, heartbreaking read. It was written so painfully well. The characters all showed pain in the most discrete way, that you couldn't help but want to wrap them all up and take away the suffering. I loved each and every one of them, the family unit is something we can all hope for.
I won't go into detail about what happens as it was an emotional read, and I don't want to take away your chance to discover the emotions. As the story is told you grow to love the characters, and you learn to undersstand them as they are uncovered page by page.

Amazing read. Thank you