5.0 out of 5 stars Superb horror story collection
Dark County is a collection of ten horror stories set in Lincolnshire and what a collection of stories it is. Each story has a different vibe to the rest covering horror from the very visceral to more cerebral. They are all excellent stories, but two stood out in particular: Hoodies and The Crows.

All the stories are incredibly well written and each managed to...
Published 20 months ago by M. Brookes

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book
This book is a good book but it is quick and easy to read. I think that there should be more short stories
Published 21 months ago by kayleigh nairn

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb horror story collection, 18 Jun. 2013
M. Brookes - See all my reviews
This review is from: DARK COUNTY (Kindle Edition)

All the stories are incredibly well written and each managed to have a little twist in the tale that gave a little surprise, making them even more memorable. The writing is of a high quality and I look forward to reading more of the author's work.

This is a superb collection of horror, one that I recommend to any fans of the genre.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly unnerving tales, 20 Sept. 2014
This review is from: DARK COUNTY (Kindle Edition)
I read this book very quickly as it had me gripped from start to finish. Dark County is a collection of ten short stories all set within the county of Lincolnshire. There is a great range of stories here - ghost stories, murder, sci-fi monsters and even vampires. Each new tale brought a different chill to my spine and certain tales left my feeling unnerved for days. For me, 'House by the Marsh' and 'Fear Thy Neighbour' were the best. 'House by the Marsh' reminded me of a dark, dilapidated mansion near to my house, which I was too afraid to enter as a child. The horrors described within played on my mind for days! 'Fear Thy Neighbour' was also a great psychological tale which took me completely by surprise.

Tinsley's writing style is concise and refined, with not a word out of place and certainly no overly descriptive waffle. He has a wonderful knack of putting a vivid image into the reader's head without the need to over-write. Fantastic book - I look forward to reading more of his work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Tales, Wonderfully Written, 13 Jun. 2013
This review is from: DARK COUNTY (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this collection, reading it over two days. The flow was constant and smooth; the author clearly having a wide range but also the ability to keep to his own personal writing style throughout the collection making that easy-to-turn-the-page magic. He has a wonderful knack for changing his voice to take on the first-person narrative with belief; especially in "The House by The Marsh" which was by far my favourite.
The collection was so varied in style, theme, even sub-genre; exploring a lot for what might seem a closed-in setting. It tears open the imagination and introduces to all the things subconsciously dreamt up about what may lurk in the countryside, and those dark ideas that haunt the mind of the horror fan; making the foundations of it all so creatively familiar, and bringing many traditional fear points a new lease on life.
This is truly an excellent collection; and not even as a first collection. These are the tales that are helping recapture the true, unadulterated spirit of horror.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent short stories!, 28 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Dark County (Paperback)
I really liked this book.

The stories are all really well written and original and if you live in Lincolnshire as I do, it's great 'seeing' familiar things in a different light. The writing is of a high quality and if you are looking for a horror book that is not too gruesome then this would be ideal.

If I had to pick 'cons' there would be two - firstly I would like there to be another 3 or 4 or so stories included, only because I really didn't want the book to end. And secondly there was no story about the witch/demon thing on the left hand side of the book cover. I was looking forward to reading a story about her/it. Perhaps in his next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another fantastic read!!, 6 Sept. 2014
This review is from: DARK COUNTY (Kindle Edition)
Started and finished in the same day. Couldn't put it down! Amazingly well written short stories, all different horror. Each one draws you into the story, and as a Lincoln resident, its quite scary! Theres places I've seen that tie in perfectly with these stories! Brilliant boom from a brilliant author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this in one session., 25 May 2013
This review is from: DARK COUNTY (Kindle Edition)
Today I read Dark County by Kit, I had jobs to do which didn't get done, as I read it from cover to cover, as once I started to read I found I couldn't put it down. Ten great stories, well written and anyone who enjoys horror books should purchase and read 'Dark County', Kit Tinsley's second book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 1 May 2014
This review is from: DARK COUNTY (Kindle Edition)
I have all Kit's books, they are all excellent, but I would say this is my favourite. I read it in one sitting, I just couldn't put it down. The stories (like all his books) are based in Lincolnshire. I pass through the county when I travel to North Yorkshire from Norfolk and it can be a scary, desolate place (especially if your driving on your own), so I knew exactly what he meant when describing scenes and places in the book.

Every story is excellent. I don't think there was a 'weak' one amongst them. The first one is like a Lincolnshire version of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. With some of the isolated areas of the county, you could imagine it really happening.

Another thing I liked about the book, is at the end Kit gives a short explanation of each story, how it came about, where or what it was based on etc.

I know a lot of 'reviewers' slate books for bad spelling and grammar. I think this is commonplace with Kindle and e-books. In all of the books I have on my Kindle (which include some that I had originally in paper/hardback) not one of them is free of errors in spelling or grammar, some worse than others.

I would highly recommend this book and there are some beautiful places in Lincolnshire, so don't let it put you off visiting. :o)

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent., 12 Sept. 2013
This review is from: DARK COUNTY (Kindle Edition)
The stories are well written and the characters are quite believable. Would recommend this book to people that like short stories. I will look for other books by the same compiler.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 1 Sept. 2013
This review is from: DARK COUNTY (Kindle Edition)
I don't like short stories...well not until I bought this book. Bought Kits novel Beneath and that was excellent. This book is really, really good. Takes a lot to get me tense, but some of these stories did. Can't wait for his next book. Quickly becoming one of my favourite authors.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, 15 Jun. 2013
This review is from: DARK COUNTY (Kindle Edition)
although all the stories in this book are short stories, they are very enjoyable. i loved that all the stories told in the book where very original (kudos to the writer for that). if you are looking for a horror book that would make you laugh and is not too gruesome then this is the right book for you.

DARK COUNTY