5.0 out of 5 stars Good Fun
Romance, erring on the side of erotica but with an actually story and characters that grow. Read the full set
Published 2 months ago by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Started out good but then it all got a bit ridiculous..
Published 14 months ago by Laura Hartley

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Fun, 29 Jun 2014
This review is from: Random Acts of Crazy (Random Series #1) (Kindle Edition)

3.0 out of 5 stars Started out good but then it all got a bit ridiculous.., 17 July 2013
Laura Hartley (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Random Acts of Crazy (Random Series #1) (Kindle Edition)
Random Acts of Crazy is a story about a naked hitchhiker, Trevor, who is picked up by trailer park chick Darla on her way home. It's late at night and she stops her car for the fine-bodied, naked hitchhiker who has nothing with him but a straw hat and his guitar and that's where things kick off. Trevor is as high as a kite when Darla picks him up and he has absolutely no idea how he got from Boston to Ohio in one night. There is an instant connection between Darla and Trevor, but things start to get complicated when Trevor's band mate Joe arrives to pick him up and seems to be falling for Darla too.

Random Acts of Crazy sounded like a fun and flirty book, perfect for the summer and it didn't disappoint on those fronts. This novel is downright hilarious at times which is to be expected from the absurdity of the situation Darla, Trevor and Joe are in. This novel is written from the alternating perspectives of all three of the main characters though Darla's is without a doubt the most interesting and the funniest. Darla is one of those girls that doesn't take crap from anybody and has quite simple rules to life. By contrast, Trevor and Joe come from a world where there parents monitor their every move and doing what they want to do just because they want to do it is something that they're not entirely familiar with. The coming together of such different characters is brilliant as you can see them all learning something from each other, particularly Trevor and Joe who learn to let loose a little and realise that there's more to life than getting in Law School.

A lot of aspects of this book are completely ludicrous but because they're so darn funny, you accept them. The opening chapters of this book were excellent. The writing was witty, funny, sexy, but as the story progressed I felt that it started to get a little silly. Whilst you could sense some sort of connection between Trevor and Darla, there really isn't much between Joe and Darla which makes their relationship very unbelievable. The book mentions frequently that Darla isn't much of a looker and that Joe and Trevor are basically angels that have descended from the heavens above and not that I'm superficial, but I just don't believe that two rockstars, no less two rockstars from Darla's favourite online band, would both end up falling for the same country bumpkin within the space of a few hours. Before Joe's arrival, I really liked this book, but after his character was introduced things started to get very silly. I can't reveal what these silly things were but things started to get more and more and sexual and culminated in something that I was really surprised at. Props to the author for ingenuity because man I did not see that ending coming but at the same time, I couldn't shake the feeling that it was a little ridiculous.

The one lose end that bothered me was that you never find out how Trevor ended up naked on the middle of a road in Ohio. We did find out a tiny bit more about his journey about half way through the story, but no real explanation. I guess it'll always be a mystery.

All in all, this is a brilliantly funny novel with lots of sexual references (so no minors!), but the plot disintegrated into madness after the introduction of a third main character which is a great shame. I would highly recommend this book to people looking for a quick and witty summer read and it certainly has a lot of plot twists which keep things interesting, but if you're a realist, then this isn't the book for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny and definitely odd, 24 Jun 2013
This review is from: Random Acts of Crazy (Random Series #1) (Kindle Edition)
Yep I laughed, sprayed coffee over the cat when reading this. Not so much a love story as a meeting of kindred spirits. All the characters are good, some backstory but I`m assuming this will follow in another book.
Sad in places and so damn funny in others read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Random purchase, 20 Aug 2014
This review is from: Random Acts of Crazy (Random Series #1) (Kindle Edition)
reading free ebooks is an excellent way to find new authors. That's what happened with this book. Julia Kent writes from each character's pov, which I particularly enjoy. she has a fresh pacy approach to her storyline which whilst being far fetched (well it is fiction after all), is also believable, because the character's feel real.
I thoroughly enjoyed this and have purchased the next two books in this series, so excuse me while I rush off to read them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Read, 7 Aug 2014
This review is from: Random Acts of Crazy (Random Series #1) (Kindle Edition)
Right from the start I was laughing out loud, I was gripped. Fantastic story line, great characters, superbly written. Have recommended this book to my best friend, and have no doubt she will love it too. (Wish I could find a Hot Naked man wearing nothing but a hat, collar and a Guitar along my local motorway!!!!!!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Random acts of crazy, 28 Jan 2014
This review is from: Random Acts of Crazy (Random Series #1) (Kindle Edition)
Well that was a great read so glad that Joe and Trevor and Darla got the happiness they all deserve this is a great book well worth the read excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely loved it!, 28 Oct 2013
This review is from: Random Acts of Crazy (Random Series #1) (Kindle Edition)
Yet another great book from Julia Kent. Gripping, funny, didn't want to put it down!!!!!!
Can't wait to read the next one in the series to see what happens next!!!
Thank you Julia Kent................Yet another awesome read!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite sure, 17 Oct 2013
This review is from: Random Acts of Crazy (Random Series #1) (Kindle Edition)
Don't get me wrong, I have read worse, but this seemed to be lacking something. I wanted this book to blow my mind, unfortunately it didn't. The story itself was good, it didn't make me laugh and took me days to read. Don't think I will read any more in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious!, 8 July 2013
Gi C. (Shipley, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Random Acts of Crazy (Random Series #1) (Kindle Edition)
Such a nice little gem! Loved the writing style that got me laughing from page one!
Loved it so much I just had to go and tell the author!!!! ...and did a bit more shopping as well :D

5.0 out of 5 stars Crazily good, 1 July 2013
Ansdell Lass (Lytham St Annes, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Random Acts of Crazy (Random Series #1) (Kindle Edition)
I read Julia's "Her Billionaire" series and loved them but this was even better. The language is intelligent and way above the norm of many romance books I've read. It's also the funniest book I've read in a while. I had a bit of a problem with Darla's mid western language at first but I soon got into it and enjoyed the interaction between Darla and Trevor.

I loved the facebook paragraph. I am so with Julia on this. Who cares? I did enjoy the "Justified" allusion though. As soon as there was a mention of Kentucky and lawman I was there. It's one of my favourite programmes. Timothy Oliphant rocks. I think we have very similar taste and this makes the stories even more enjoyable for me.

Darla was an amazing woman; so much more that trailer park trash. She was a rose in a garbage dump! Trevor and Joe were initially behaving like typical ivy league snobs but Darla soon put them in their place (metaphorically speaking!).

The growing relationship between the three of them is nice and slow, for a menage and Julia describes well the angst all three are suffering trying to decide whether the relationship is viable.

I'm looking forward to Josie's story, "It's Complicated" which is the next book to include Darla, Trevor and Joe. I can't wait to discover what the men's parents think of Darla. I also love the crossovers between characters which Julia includes in all her books I have read so far. Julia writes her stories from the three main characters' points of view and not simply in third person. This makes the stories that much more interesting.

I highly recommended this author.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›