5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for a beginner like myself
I took up running a few months ago. Recently saw this highly rated in Runners World Magazine. It is brilliant for my beginners status. Out of the box all I needed to do was charge it for a few hrs via the USB.
Published 23 months ago by KDS27

1.0 out of 5 stars an intensely frustrating device
Published 8 months ago by nick thompson

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for a beginner like myself, 12 May 2013
For my 1st run the GPS picked up within 15 seconds and stayed on. The watch has several modes - you can only see 2 things at the same time. It is really easy to use. I have mine set to Run time/Distance as that is all I need to know. You can also change from miles to Kilometers.
You can upload all your data onto the Garmin website - Very simple to set up, you just need to register, and you can see your route on a map, average speed, calories burnt, gradient etc.
I have been using it for 4 days now and the most time spent picking up the GPS has been 15seconds.
If you are a beginner, and just want to know your times and distances, then I highly reccomend this watch,

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressive Watch, Easy to use and Water Resistant (not Waterproof), 1 Jan. 2013
I purchased the Forerunner 10 after owning a Garmin 310XT for about three years. I wanted something smaller and lighter to run with when I didn't want the bulk of the 310XT.

I completed number of runs wearing both watches and both recorded identical tracks. The Forerunner 10 is extremely easy to upload information to Garmin Connect to monitor your performance.

I have been very impressed with the watch. But I would like to correct a few of the previous reviews about the waterproofness of the watch.

It is NOT waterproof it is water resistant.

On the Garmin site it states it is Water Resistant to 50m. (This is the same as the Garmin swim proof watches, 310XT etc)

I contacted Garmin Support about swimming with the Forerunner 10 and got the following reply:

"I'm afraid the Forerunner 10 is not designed for swimming like the 310XT so we cannot guarantee complete waterproofness like the 310XT however it is waterproof up to 50 meters."

Still being a bit confused about how two products can be rated to the same waterproof level but not have the same waterproofness?

I asked the following:

"So getting down to basics, can the Garmin Forerunner 10 be worn:

Running in the rain
On wet days
In the shower"

And got the following reply:

"there is a difference between water proof and water resistance. The Forerunner 10 is water resistant in up to 1 meter of water for 30 minutes.

However we do not recommend that you wear it in the shower, the watch would be fine to wear in the rain as it is designed to handle this type of weather."

Update:
I have had a Forerunner 10 for about a year now and use it all the time as my normal wrist watch. I get well over two weeks out of it between charges if I don't use the GPS. As with all GPS devices you need them to see the sky to get a position. I personally just stick it in the garden for a few minutes whilst I get ready to go for a run. I have used it in all conditions from heavy cloud to rain and it has never had a problem with maintaining GPS positions once the initial fix is obtained.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very easy to use, 2 Jan. 2015
Bought this for my husband for Christmas. He used it for the first time today and absolutely loves it. Got very excited to find it told him how many miles he'd ran, how many calories he'd burned, height climbed, distance run etc, etc. And the best thing is, it's very easy and simple to use (even for a gadget-phobe!). He's now looking forward to his next run so he can beat his current timing. Would definitely recommend it.

1.0 out of 5 stars an intensely frustrating device, 29 Aug. 2014
intensely frustrating device. When it works perfectly (25% of the time) - it is just great 0- simple and does all I want it to. 50% of the time it is temperamental in terms of getting a signal - which is a pain - I start off on the run and it catches up. and 25% of the time I just cant get it to grab a signal at all and it is an extremely expensive £10 casio digital watch. I try to put it out on my lawn 5 mins before I run - to "help it out" - but whilst that helps it is not a guarantee. I've tried it in all different areas - it not near buildings/ trees etc and get a similar ration of success. This is my second - i recorded the success ratio of grabbing ia signal on my first FR 10 - and took it back to the shop - who replaced it. This one is better - but still totally inadequate. I suspect that the technology is just not up to it yet - it simply does not do what it says on the tin. Seeing other reviews, +ve and -ve I am perhaps unlucky - but certainly not alone. I dont think Garmin should sell this products with this level (low) of efficacy.

5.0 out of 5 stars First GPS running unit - very impresesd so far, 5 Sept. 2013
C. Trayers (UK) - See all my reviews
I bought one of these in the hope it owuld motivate me to run further/faster/more often, after becoming a bit bored of the same old routes. I had previously been using GPS software on my phone which would give intermittant updates on distance, pace, time etc, but that was always tucked away in an inaccessible pocket, and required the use of headphones whilst running which I'm not a huge fan of as I run on country roads (and also get very bored of listening to the same old music over and over). The watch seems to be far more accurate than any of the variety of running apps I've tried over the years.

I'm by no means a serious runner - go to work running club once a week and do approx 2 runs of c.10km a week other than that, and am doing a 1/2 marathon later in the year. I've taken this watch out for a few runs now, and so far I'm pretty impressed by it. Setup is really simple - it essentially works straight out of the box, and setting up the online account to sync workouts to is easy and just requires the download of a plugin from the Garmin website and registering to create an online account.

My unit came partially charged, so I took it to running club the day it arrived, without having had chance to play with the different settings etc and it was as simple really as pressing the go button (the one with the little man icon next to it) and off I went. It finds satellites reasonably quickly, though it does vary a bit depending on where I am. It is almost instantaneous when at work (urban area), but at home (a bit more out in the sticks) it takes up to a minute at times. I find that if I set it looking for satellites whilst still getting trainers on etc then it doesn't delay things.

I've not tried out the pace setting function yet, but have used the auto pause which is really handy if you have routes which require you to stop to cross roads etc, if you don't want that to be included in your total run time as it'll "stop the clock" when it detects you have stopped moving and automatically restart when you start running again. It also can be set up to bleep at each mile, or when you achieve new PB distances or pace.

Syncing the runs to the Garmin website is really easy, and once done gives you really good information about the runs you have done, even down to including approximate weather conditions for the area when you were running! The unit comes with a USB charger, so I have been syncing it whilst leaving it on charge - it will only store ten runs before overwriting them so if you're a regular runner, or particularly bothered about having every run recorded you probably need to get into a routine of uploading them. You can get an adaptor to plug the USB into a mains socket if required, but I'm sure an iphone mains charger or similar would do the trick.

My other half has a top-of-the-range Garmin watch and this appears to be equal in terms of accuracy, and is probably actually a bit quicker in finding the satellites. Obviously it's not got all the fancy bells and whistles on that some of the higher models have, but it does all I wanted it to and can't imagine needing any extra functionality.

It's a good looking watch, and is small enough to wear when not running and very lightweight. Apparently it's water resistant - mine has been in the shower and was fine. All in all I'm very happy with it, and the price on Amazon (for the green version) was the cheapest I'd found.

1.0 out of 5 stars Would be great if it could find the satellites, 18 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Garmin Forerunner 10 GPS Running Watch - Black/Silver (Sports)
This is most probably a great product. But I have had it for almost a year and it barely ever connects with the satellites, so I basically end up wearing it as a watch. I have gone out into clear space, held it above my head, waited 10 minutes, and it doesn't connect. Then, sometimes, but only sometimes, it does connect. When that does happen, it is great. Maybe I just got a duff one, I don't know, but for £100 and for a Garmin, I expected a lot better

5.0 out of 5 stars Do you really need anything better?, 22 Aug. 2014
Owned watch for two years. No other watches to compare to. Would buy again.

1. Quite a few reviews complain about the time it takes to acquire a GPS signal. In my experience it's no quicker and no slower than other GPS devices (such as cameras, whether cheap or expensive). It seems to be quicker when (1) you used it the day before (2) you use it from the place at which you stopped using it (3) you're standing in wide open fields ... But, whether you've used it recently or not, whether you're in a city or not, if you put it in a window and set it to get a lock, it'll get one within by the time you've changed into running gear. We've never had it lose a signal, once found.

2. It's accurate. We've been using ours for 2 years, and -- running or cycling -- it maps to paths and roads very well indeed. And Garmin connect (the place where you upload the information too) works well. It's nice to have all the runs recorded, and it points out PBs etc. (You can see other peoples runs and so on, if you want, or integrate the exercise into a diet app, etc.) In fact, it's quite useful to use this as a tracker, if you're on holiday somewhere.

2b. It seems accurate for speed, too. You can set it to the coach you to the pace you want -- fall a little behind and it tells you, get ahead and it tells you. This is really helpful. In a city, though, you sometimes can miss the 'beeps'.

3. It's easy to read the display, and the choices of displays are good, and the buttons are well thought out. Basically, this is a really well thought out watch. It's a decent size, too.

4. One of the reviews here says the watch is more water-resistant than water-proof. We've been thinking it was water-proof to a reasonable depth, and have been swimming and showering with the watch on. No problems so far, at all.

5. It's fine to use as an everyday watch -- and lasts a couple of weeks. We prefer it to our Casio, because the numbers are bigger.

6. The charging cradle is also the usb port. It's really well designed.

7. Things which could be better. If it could last for something more like 7 than 5 hours, that would be good. The watch has run out on some long cycling days. If the warning 'beeps' were a bit louder, that would be good, too. Other than that, it's hard to think of improvements. Really a pretty ideal watch which does the basics really well.

There's a good online review here: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2012/08/garmin-forerunner-watch.html.

Do you really need anything better? Maybe if you want to monitor your heart rate while running, or your cadence on a bicycle.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great buy, 7 Oct. 2013
Nice slick design- not too chunky on the wrist. Easy to set up and use with good data analysis after

2.0 out of 5 stars New runner, 19 Nov. 2013
Bit concerned 2 runs with garmin all good ran today aiming for my 1st 5 mile run lost signal only 2.05 miles recorded which I know from previous @ least 4 + miles hope doesn't happen again definitely not helpful a right downer !!

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic watch, 9 Jan. 2015
Have used this watch 3 times now and would highly recommend, I was dubious to purchase as I had read a few bad reviews but finally took the plunge and so pleased I did. It has replaced an old bulky Garmin watch, this watch is equally as accurate and finds the GPS signal within 15-20 seconds, straight away I'm competing against myself and trying to set new running records. I have clocked up approx 4.5 hours running so far and the watch has informed me battery is low so I guess about 5 hours running time... I am really pleased with this watch and would definitely recommend