on 10 August 2013
Do not buy this product unless you have impeccable eyesight and prefer looking at a SatNav rather than the traffic.

Much text on screen too small to read, no audio warning when exceeding the speed limit, no hands free mobile or voice command. Horrible graphics. Safety cameras alert does not live up to the name, it is too quiet. Again text information and graphic just too small. Is it really necessary to put reading glasses on when driving, then the graphic disappears before the camera has been passed, then reappears again, only one audio alert. All in all FAR TOO DISTRACTING... for me this device is a driving hazard rather than a driving aid. Do I really need to wear bi-focals, the sat nav should be telling me everything I need to know with sounds so I can keep my eyes on the road.

Complete dearth of useful and interesting information, trip-o-metres, max speed, petrol consumption estimates etc etc etc. My Garmin Nuvi 2495lmt which this WAS going to replace (due to accidental damage) is massively superior and significantly cheaper.

Ironically, in my book the ONLY saving grace of this Tom-Tom joke is the traffic and camera updates via my iphone. That I like a lot!! Why is that ironic? Well it seems most Tom-Tom regulars don't like it.

I will be taking this cr*p back to the shop from whence it came on Monday, it was mis sold to me as having a hands free phone capacity. If it did actually have that, I would keep it and just kick myself for not doing more research, and making a very, very rash impulse buy.

I am sure Tom-Tom can do better, and from reading the reviews here, they have done better. This, I fear, will go down in history as a big Tom-Tom booboo.

Edit: Please see my comments further down. I have bumped this from a one star to a two star following my practical ongoing use of the product, which in the end I did not take back as I needed a GPS.
VINE VOICEon 14 September 2013
Style Name: GO 500 UK - 5 inch|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
What a difference to my old TomTom the Go 500 has a 3 d map display which is much easier to read and clearer information about what lanes to be in. When I was driving on the M25 it really helped tell me which lane to be in well in advance.The voice option can be changed to different accents male female and you can even down load extra voices if you wish, you can also set the voice to read aloud road numbers,street names and give early instructions .The suction holder is much neater and can be angled. The widescreen display is a bonus and its easy to use. The Go 500 also gives information on where petrol stations are 3 month speed camera updates and places to park.You can set it to have a night display which reduces glare or for day time like with all TomTom machines. My places set up destinations you use more than once and the volume can be changed or you can look at a map in more detail just like on a mobile phone with touching the screen. Technology is now easier to use and and you can also connect your smart phone wirelessly to up date maps, some charges may apply. You get a charger and usb connection too and life time maps. Worth it buy it and see.
on 27 July 2013
I got mine today and tomorrow im returning it, I agree 100% with the other 2 star review.
The hardware is brilliant and some of the features are very alluring however its lacking features you would imagine standard, lack of customisation is disappointing but not the end of the world but the lack of route options is, no alternative route no avoid area etc is. Its hard to understand why this would be left off cause all the new go range is is a fancy and expensive inferior device.
on 3 August 2013
It is sold as having free traffic services via smart phones - when it seems they really mean only via iphones and android smart phones. It does not work with windows smart phones and probably several others. The alternative is to pay an annual fee of (I believe) over £60 to get the alternative equivalent service. Pathetic. I subsequently found Garman do a cheaper satnav with free for life traffic that does not rely on phones - and is probably better. That is the smart buy.
on 4 August 2014
Money down the drain. Paid a fortune and found that Tom Tom has taken a step back in to history and even rolled back some of the features it had with the older models. Am trying to get rid of it.
on 27 November 2014
Does the job very well screen size is amazing it really makes it much easier to use sound wise it's very loud and instructions are very clear with various voices and styles available for download. The only two things that lets it down is one the fact that to get traffic alerts it has to be connected to your phone which has to be connected to internet and two battery life is not great it lasts around 2h that's because of all the connections and screen size. Overall I am very happy with it and you have to consider that it's not too expensive either.
on 23 March 2015
The three stars are for the display; this is a big improvement. So far as the features they are very basic (a bit disappointing really). With my old Tom Tom it was set up to alert me whenever I was approaching an LPG filling station. Unless I am missing something, you cannot do that with this model. With my old Garmin nuvi I can answer and make phone calls (but the screen is so small I can see where i'm going). Its all about compromise and I wasnt prepared to pay any more a SATNAV as getting me there is the main task and it does that well.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 September 2014
Not a bad product at all but...

The good: responsive and fast, gets me where I want to go.

The bad:
1. I often need to re-pair my bluetooth phone to it at startup.
2. It doesn't like to work alongside a bluetooth speakerphone (lots of interference, bluetooth limitation?).
3. If I change my destination along a journey it gets itself in a twist and doesn't seem to understand what I want it to do, not intuitive enough.
4. No volume control so if road noise is high its sometimes not loud enough.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 July 2014
Disappointed with the unit when 1st launched in 2013 seems TomTom Have listened and now the 2014 units all now have speak and go still disappointed that Bluetooth hands free was left out that seemed a step backwards.
But I think the 2013 units were a bit rushed and not tested as fully as they could have been.
Most of the bug have been ironed out in the 2014 models.
There is a budget range now - the 40-50-60 4.3 - 5" and 6" versions these all have lifetime maps and traffic.
Thanks for listening TomTom.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 September 2013
After using this for a couple of weeks, I was baffled when I came to review to find so many negative comments. Prior to is I had been using an ageing Go 529 model so maybe I'm behind with the times but I was impressed with the vast majority of this unit. The main thing for me is how much clearer the roads are. Gone are the days when I was approaching a roundabout or turnoff with no idea whether I was in the right lane thanks to the vagueness of my old model, as this makes it impossible to make a wrong turn unless you aren't paying attention.

Some of the reviews have criticised this model for not warning them they are over the speed limit or approaching a traffic camera. Valid points, but firstly I would say you should not need a sat nav to tell you that you're speeding and secondly, considering the majority of speeding related tickets are from either mobile units or average speed checks, a device telling you where fixed cameras are isn't going to be much help. Lets face it, they are easy enough to spot anyway.

The other main criticism referred to being distracted from driving by constantly looking at the screen and the 'unnecessary' things it displays. Personally, I wouldn't be comfortable being a passenger to a driver who is using this to drive. It is an AID and should be used as such. Yes, the picture and fancy 3D graphics are nice, but there is no need to keep looking at them. For someone like myself who inputs a destination, follows the directions as spoken and only looks at the screen when checking I'm in the correct lane, this unit works a treat.

I can't comment on any of the other features as I haven't used them and don't intend to, but what I can say is this is without doubt the best sat nav I have had. Highly recommended.